[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Game Day at the BC  (Read 34408 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Game Day at the BC
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2015, 08:27:52 PM »
Having legit wi-fi and a gameday app would be fantastic. Maybe a quiz that offers one question per break and offer prizes to gameday winners? Could also use it to earn points for the Spirit Shop and such. The replay idea is excellent. Maybe link it to that seat upgrade app they currently have as well?

Here's what I would do assuming you can get a legit wifi signal to support the traffic:

Create a loyalty program/log-in for users.  Have to be logged in to use the replays.  Make quizzes available and you get points for using the replay and/or participation in the entertainment activities.  You can earn credits for seat upgrades and/or pay for some of the upgrade to your seats with the points/cost varying depending on the popularity of the game.  Also link concessions to the app as part of the points system....maybe even allow ordering of food through the app.  Maybe there can be contests for which section or row uses the app the most to build demand.  Have cheer leads through the app or whatever.  Lots of possibilities.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2015, 09:46:26 PM »
My biggest takeaway is that Wojo legitimately cares. I could tell his ultimate dream would be to move the student section along the sidling and closer to the floor like Cameron, well see how that one goes over with the sweater vests. Wojo is a very blunt guy, even with his guests, called us out for some of our lack of enthusiasm last year, which was fair. Funny thing about that whole setting though is I didnt recognize half the people in that room, and I know the people I sit with rather well. Dont know who the other students were.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2015, 12:01:22 AM »
My biggest takeaway is that Wojo legitimately cares. I could tell his ultimate dream would be to move the student section along the sidling and closer to the floor like Cameron, well see how that one goes over with the sweater vests. Wojo is a very blunt guy, even with his guests, called us out for some of our lack of enthusiasm last year, which was fair. Funny thing about that whole setting though is I didnt recognize half the people in that room, and I know the people I sit with rather well. Dont know who the other students were.

Keefe summed it up. Gotta be competitive and the crowds will respond. Not rocket science.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2015, 12:13:27 PM »
Keefe summed it up. Gotta be competitive and the crowds will respond. Not rocket science.

I still think that's the easy way out.  Having a winning product gets you to a 7 in a season.  Having a continually winning program gets you to a 9.  Having a mid-level product gets you a 5.  Having other non-team related entertainment could add 2-3 points.  You could get an 8 without having a continuously winning program, in my opinion.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2015, 12:16:43 PM »
When can we expect more Jewish recruits, hey?

enough with the foreskins, hey?

Death on call

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2015, 12:17:29 PM »
I still think that's the easy way out.  Having a winning product gets you to a 7 in a season.  Having a continually winning program gets you to a 9.  Having a mid-level product gets you a 5.  Having other non-team related entertainment could add 2-3 points.  You could get an 8 without having a continuously winning program, in my opinion.

Do you (or anyone else) have any examples of college basketball programs that have exceptional "non-team related entertainment?"

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2015, 12:22:56 PM »
My biggest takeaway is that Wojo legitimately cares. I could tell his ultimate dream would be to move the student section along the sidling and closer to the floor like Cameron, well see how that one goes over with the sweater vests.

Duke:      
Cameron Indoor,  Capacity 9,314
Avg Ticket Price: $409

for the UNC game the AVERAGE ticket price climbs to $1700.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:24:33 PM by oldwarrior81 »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2015, 12:32:31 PM »
Duke:      
Cameron Indoor,  Capacity 9,314
Avg Ticket Price: $409

for the UNC game the AVERAGE ticket price climbs to $1700.

I dont get what point your trying to make. All I got from this is that it would be easier to do it at Marquette because of the abundance of seating.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2015, 12:42:14 PM »
I dont get what point your trying to make. All I got from this is that it would be easier to do it at Marquette because of the abundance of seating.

I can't imagine any scenario where Marquette would kick a 7-figure donor/$950 per ticket season-ticket holder out of his spot to give it to a student, not to mention having to move literally every season-ticket holder back many, many rows.

If you think getting rid of the "Warrior" nickname affected donations, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2015, 12:42:25 PM »

I think his point is that it's easier for Duke to f#$% the season ticket holders/gold vest sections because the revenue will still be there.  You move the students into "prime" seating and that's a major revenue hit not to mention pissing off the season ticket holders you have to move out of that section.

Not against moving them, but I think they should wait til the new arena is built, an excuse to create a new set-up.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2015, 12:45:03 PM »

When I was at Marquette we drank before the game, may have had some herb to steel ourselves against the bitter cold, filled our down parkas and army field jackets with PBRs, drank while marching to the Arena, drank during the game, then went back to the Lanche to drink more.

Entertainment was the guy in the top row yelling, "Give 'em hell, Al!" during the National Anthem, world class basketball on the court, and Al McGuire being Al. We chanted vulgar things at the refs for clearly bad calls and had even more vile chants for people like Digger Phelps, Kelly Tripucka, Bill Laimbeer, Ray Meyers, and Bill Cofield.

We didn't need Jumbotrons, dancing girls, free t shirts, donuts, trivia contests, or any other meaningless distractions. And most of all, we didn't ever feel the need to sing.

We were there for three things:

1. World class basketball
2. Al McGuire
3. Sharing the Marquette Basketball experience with good friends

During time outs we talked with each other. We actually had conversations. We did not need gratuitous, insipid distractions and we sure as sh1t never thought about singing.

Marquette put a spectacular product on the court. That was all good friends needed not just for an evening but for a lifetime of memories.

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2015, 12:46:18 PM »
Do you (or anyone else) have any examples of college basketball programs that have exceptional "non-team related entertainment?"

I think programs like Utah State and Illinois State have good game day experience without having great teams.  Hell, the Badgers had a good basketball atmosphere before basketball was invented in 1998.  But to be fair it is tough to come up with a lot of them, and the atmosphere has been generated over multiple years (think Badger football in the 70s and 80s as well)

I think we do have the chance to do something game changing with the atmosphere to help ride through lean years if they come up.  Key is creating value that you can only get at the stadium that I can't get on my couch in front of the tv.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2015, 12:48:23 PM »
I think his point is that it's easier for Duke to f#$% the season ticket holders/gold vest sections because the revenue will still be there.  You move the students into "prime" seating and that's a major revenue hit not to mention pissing off the season ticket holders you have to move out of that section.

Not against moving them, but I think they should wait til the new arena is built, an excuse to create a new set-up.

The schools that have their students around the entire court compensate by elevating the general seating.  So while the major $$$ isn't in the front row, they still have a good view.  

Breslin Center

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/msu/graphics/Breslin-Section-128-A.jpg

Cameron

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Graphics/Arenas/cameron.jpg

I don't think the Bucks are going to go for this.  They are going to win real nice seating as close to the court as possible.  If you are building a Marquette owned arena, I would be all for it.  But as a tenant, I don't think this is going to work.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
When I was at Marquette we drank before the game, may have had some herb to steel ourselves against the bitter cold, filled our down parkas and army field jackets with PBRs, drank while marching to the Arena, drank during the game, then went back to the Lanche to drink more.

Entertainment was the guy in the top row yelling, "Give 'em hell, Al!" during the National Anthem, world class basketball on the court, and Al McGuire being Al. We chanted vulgar things at the refs for clearly bad calls and had even more vile chants for people like Digger Phelps, Kelly Tripucka, Bill Laimbeer, Ray Meyers, and Bill Cofield.

We didn't need Jumbotrons, dancing girls, free t shirts, donuts, trivia contests, or any other meaningless distractions. And most of all, we didn't ever feel the need to sing.

2. Al McGuire

During time outs we talked with each other. We actually had conversations. We did not need gratuitous, insipid distractions and we sure as sh1t never thought about singing.

Marquette put a spectacular product on the court. That was all good friends needed not just for an evening but for a lifetime of memories.

Congratulations....but it's not the 1970s any longer.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2015, 12:50:54 PM »

2. Al McGuire

Yeah, 90% of what you described can't be done anymore.  Hell we did the same thing in 1999 during the first Tanned Tommy season as freshmen but the students/culture have changed.  The game itself just isn't enough anymore.  Plus there is so much more down time in the game then there was back in your day, and the students have a lot of ADD going on.  Lastly as fun as being apart of the drunken student section is, it does have negative impacts on the rest of the paying crowd who have to deal with them.  We've got to create value for all paying customers to generate revenue to put a winning product on the court.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2015, 12:56:17 PM »

Congratulations....but it's not the 1970s any longer.

Doesn't negate the essence of my point. 

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2015, 01:00:23 PM »
Doesn't negate the essence of my point. 

But in a thread about what should be done now, simply reflecting upon the past isn't terribly helpful.  A different generation has different options and different expectations than you did.  (I'm not making a value judgement here...just a realistic observation.)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2015, 01:06:20 PM »

I still don't think that would work.  Even if from a completely objective standpoint the seats in the new set-up are better, people are going to have the attitude of, "I used to have front row [or tenth row or whatever] seats in the BC, and now I have to sit behind a bunch of drunk a-hole college kids."
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2015, 01:42:48 PM »

But in a thread about what should be done now, simply reflecting upon the past isn't terribly helpful.  A different generation has different options and different expectations than you did.  (I'm not making a value judgement here...just a realistic observation.)

But that wasn't my point: Put a winning team on the court and there will be more than enough enthusiasm. That formula is timeless.

Much of what they are looking to do is gratuitous. Dancing teddy bears and laughing hyenas are superfluous to the raison d'ĂȘtre of the event.

I will grant that the need for artificial stimulation is more pronounced today than in the past. Frankly, i would rather converse with good friends during time outs than participate in vapid time fillers. But then, I spend evenings having dinner with bright, sophisticated friends rather than sitting in front of a television (which I do not own.)

If brand owners need to manufacture positive attributes to deliver the value prop it says something about the core product.

If consumers need inconsequential additives to vest value in the experience it says something about their actual engagement with the brand.

The Romans called it Bread and Circuses. On the Microsoft campus the saying is Sex, Jewelry, Chocolate. Both mean that there is a problem with the foundation.

Death on call

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2015, 02:20:45 PM »

2. Al McGuire

What was it like walking uphill both ways in 3 feet of snow to school?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2015, 02:36:49 PM »
But that wasn't my point: Put a winning team on the court and there will be more than enough enthusiasm. That formula is timeless.

Much of what they are looking to do is gratuitous. Dancing teddy bears and laughing hyenas are superfluous to the raison d'ĂȘtre of the event.

I will grant that the need for artificial stimulation is more pronounced today than in the past. Frankly, i would rather converse with good friends during time outs than participate in vapid time fillers. But then, I spend evenings having dinner with bright, sophisticated friends rather than sitting in front of a television (which I do not own.)

Well I agree with you that winning would cure all in this case.

And I know plenty of "bright, sophisticated" people who get a kick out of "vapid time fillers."

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2015, 02:40:27 PM »
I think programs like Utah State and Illinois State have good game day experience without having great teams.  Hell, the Badgers had a good basketball atmosphere before basketball was invented in 1998.  But to be fair it is tough to come up with a lot of them, and the atmosphere has been generated over multiple years (think Badger football in the 70s and 80s as well)

I think we do have the chance to do something game changing with the atmosphere to help ride through lean years if they come up.  Key is creating value that you can only get at the stadium that I can't get on my couch in front of the tv.
[/b]

This is the whole point. I saw something in person that could never be recreated at home and thought, "why can't we do that?" I'm not much of a soccer fan but I had a great time at the game.

Keefe, I get your point, but we no longer have Al to entertain us and there aren't conversations between whistles any more - everyone instnctively reaches for the phone. Singing > looking at facebook while "Cottoneye Joe" plays for the millionth time.

Like I said, is just an idea, and it won't even work unless the students really embrace it. Otherwise it's just a daydream. I am open to any and all ideas to enhance the game day atmosphere. This just happened to be mine.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2015, 04:01:59 PM »
How many y'all can actually sing where Keith Urban, JLo, and Harry Connick Jr. would be down with it? No one wants to hear that chit, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2015, 04:31:21 PM »

2. Al McGuire

Totally agree. My group of friends were the same way and we were in school from 2006-2010. We would pregame, show up a few minutes before tip, march straight to the top row with beers, enjoy the game. and then hit the bars afterwards.

I was there to watch Marquette basketball and have a good time with my friends. Anyone who goes to the game for promotions and give aways is a tool.
Bring back FFP!!!

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2015, 08:53:55 AM »
Totally agree. My group of friends were the same way and we were in school from 2006-2010. We would pregame, show up a few minutes before tip, march straight to the top row with beers, enjoy the game. and then hit the bars afterwards.

I was there to watch Marquette basketball and have a good time with my friends. Anyone who goes to the game for promotions and give aways is a tool.

Sho nuff. A good pregaming session should cure all that ails the BC student-section experience. That said, I've understood the singing thing to be a trend across all of twentysomethings, no doubt influenced by the ubiquity of soccer nowawadays. (Pardon me, FUTBOL.) So to that extent, I'd welcome a student section that sung chants and all that stuff that I probably wouldn't have done in the mid-2000s. Just let it be organic for god's sake. There's nothing worse than forced chants. See, e.g., the "Tom Crean" chant.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:57:06 AM by Babybluejeans »

feedback