Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sterling Gibbs transferring from Seton Hall  (Read 9263 times)

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
Sterling Gibbs transferring from Seton Hall
« on: April 28, 2015, 01:59:34 PM »
He's eligible to play immediately, can't come to MU though. He should be very highly recruited after averaging almost 20 ppg last season. Who knows what's going on at Seton Hall, I hope that Willard can figure it out, maybe getting rid of Gibbs is a start. I think they have a few problems on that team.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Sterling Gibbs transferring from Seton Hall
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 02:09:40 PM »
I think getting rid of Gibbs is creating more of a problem than it fixes. The veteran's on that team did not get along with the primadonna freshmen that Willard let run the team. In the long run, landing Isaiah Whitehead could be the worst thing that could have happened to SHU.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 02:17:32 PM »
I think getting rid of Gibbs is creating more of a problem than it fixes. The veteran's on that team did not get along with the primadonna freshmen that Willard let run the team. In the long run, landing Isaiah Whitehead could be the worst thing that could have happened to SHU.

Perhaps, but we're speculating and assuming that it was Whitehead/Delgado as the problem when it's possible that Gibbs could have been the contributing factor.

Losing a guy like Gibbs is never good from a purely talent level, but it could be addition through subtraction in terms of continuity.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 03:16:05 PM »
Tough blow for the Hall.  Gibbs is a great player.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 04:48:38 PM »
The meltdown of Seton Hall gave us two wins. The last three wins were against teams in the tank (Seton Hall & DePaul).

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 05:57:44 PM »
Perhaps, but we're speculating and assuming that it was Whitehead/Delgado as the problem when it's possible that Gibbs could have been the contributing factor.

Losing a guy like Gibbs is never good from a purely talent level, but it could be addition through subtraction in terms of continuity.

Gibbs is not, and was never, a problem. In fact, it's a major indictment of Willard that a kid like Gibbs is leaving. Knowing you can't coach high major basketball makes many people desperate. Willard fell in the trap.

Continuity? The Hall was cruising at the start of conference play with a backcourt of Sina/Gibbs and they looked set to start the next 45-50 games as a combo. Now, both are gone and the inmates are running the asylum.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 06:32:47 PM »
Gibbs is not, and was never, a problem. In fact, it's a major indictment of Willard that a kid like Gibbs is leaving. Knowing you can't coach high major basketball makes many people desperate. Willard fell in the trap.

Continuity? The Hall was cruising at the start of conference play with a backcourt of Sina/Gibbs and they looked set to start the next 45-50 games as a combo. Now, both are gone and the inmates are running the asylum.

Willard needs to go immediately in my opinion.  Gibbs' departure is symptomatic of a much more serious problem, I believe.  We'll all be better off when the Hall has its act together.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 07:51:31 PM »
Willard needs to go immediately in my opinion.  Gibbs' departure is symptomatic of a much more serious problem, I believe.  We'll all be better off when the Hall has its act together.
Agreed.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 11:01:48 AM »
Do we know for certain that he cannot transfer to another Big East school?  Can coaches place restrictions on grad transfers?
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 11:37:43 AM »
Do we know for certain that he cannot transfer to another Big East school?  Can coaches place restrictions on grad transfers?

Both coaches and conferences can.  The Big East intra-conference transfer ban is absolute for anyone playing football, men's basketball, or women's basketball and remains in effect for anyone who signed a NLI.  The one exception is where the athlete obtains an SLR waiver from the NCAA which I believe invalidates the NLI.  He or she can transfer in conference, but he can't play the sport for which they signed their NLI.

The above policy sheds some light on why many athletes in men's basketball are now committing to a school without signing a NLI.

Coaches can, but almost never do.  Coaches can because the Graduate Transfer Waiver requires that the previous school provide a letter saying that it does not object to the student-athlete being eligible.  Interestingly enough, even though this restriction alone could curb graduate student transfers in men's basketball completely, members of the National Association of Basketball Coaches are still lobbying to eliminate the Graduate Transfer Waiver to avoid blocking these transfers themselves to avoid the public shaming that Bo Ryan went through initially in the Utloff transfer and the resultant negative recruiting that would inevitably follow.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 12:52:38 PM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 11:41:27 AM »
Do we know for certain that he cannot transfer to another Big East school?  Can coaches place restrictions on grad transfers?

I don't think it's for sure that he cannot transfer to another Big East school.

In the BE, you have to sit out 2 years instead of the usual 1 if you transfer in conference. It's not forbidden. However, a kid just transferred between 2 ACC schools as a grad transfer and is still eligible immediately. So it's possible that he could transfer to a BE school. Graduate transfers may be a loophole. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 12:50:46 PM »

In the BE, you have to sit out 2 years instead of the usual 1 if you transfer in conference. It's not forbidden. However, a kid just transferred between 2 ACC schools as a grad transfer and is still eligible immediately. So it's possible that he could transfer to a BE school. Graduate transfers may be a loophole.  

I would be interested in where you found the two year sit out rule since it was not contained in the Big East rules sheet that I found on the web, it was dated October 31, 2005, however.  Graduate transfers aren't a loophole, but graduate transfers who transferred previously may be the loophole since IIRC, NLIs are only signed by HS seniors and JUCOs, and therefore anyone transferring into a new school would not have signed an NLI with that school.  Since the conference rules seem to be contained in the NLI, players who previously transferred into a school may be free to use the Graduate Transfer Waiver without worrying about conference restrictions.  This would explain the case of Adam Smith who transferred from Virginia Tech to Georgia Tech since Smith had previously transferred from UNC Wilington to Virginia Tech.

There is, I suppose, a possibility that Sterling Gibbs could avoid the Big East ban on transfers playing men's basketball at their new Big East school since he originally signed with Texas and then transferred to Seton Hall - if he transferred without signing a NLI with Seton Hall.

Could Willard still choose to enforce a Big East transfer ban by refusing to provide the no objection to eligibility letter if Gibbs choose a Big East school to transfer to?  I'm not sure that such a decision by Willard would even be revealed, if he made Gibb's silence a condition of getting the letter.  The confusion about what exactly these rules are is certainly due to the potential that could exist to negotiate this stuff behind the scenes.  
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 01:25:24 PM by LittleWade »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 01:44:34 PM »

The ACC rule is different. It says that anyone transferring in conference must pay their own tuition during their year in residence, which is the year they sit out. I believe the loophole there is that graduate transfers are not required to complete a year in residence before they are eligible to play, so he avoids having to pay for his year in residence because it simply doesn't exist.

I am not an expert on the ACC rules, but from looking at the section in their rulebook, that's the best guess I was able to come up with.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 06:17:32 PM »

No loophole. Only allowed if he pays his own way. Or gets a waiver from the ncaa
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 08:45:50 AM »
No loophole. Only allowed if he pays his own way. Or gets a waiver from the ncaa

Not true, if there is no loophole, Big East rules ban Gibbs from playing Men's basketball at another Big East school, even if he pays his own way.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 07:19:22 PM »
Regarding Gibbs, he may not have signed a NLI as he transferred to Seton Hall and was not required to sign a letter of intent.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 08:20:38 PM »
Regarding Gibbs, he may not have signed a NLI as he transferred to Seton Hall and was not required to sign a letter of intent.

nm
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:43:11 AM by LittleWade »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 12:39:46 AM »
Gibbs is not, and was never, a problem.

I don't think that is fair to say. Did we all forget about this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/seton-hall-suspends-sterling-gibbs-two-games-for-his-punch-185542188.html

No matter how you spin that, its a really dirty play. I'm not saying Gibbs was the problem in Seton Hall's locker room. But I don't think he was part of the solution either.
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 08:03:54 AM »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/seton-hall-suspends-sterling-gibbs-two-games-for-his-punch-185542188.html

No matter how you spin that, its a really dirty play. I'm not saying Gibbs was the problem in Seton Hall's locker room. But I don't think he was part of the solution either.

Extremely poor behavior on Gibbs' part, and undeniably a character flaw.  Just how big a flaw depends on how much you attribute Gibbs' meltdown to the dysfunction he was dealing with in the Seton Hall basketball program.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 09:02:46 AM »

It is fair to say. No spin needed.

Get on the academia fantasyland bat-phone in your garage and talk to those associated with the Hall. Not one bad word will be said about Sterling.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
Joining Miller at Uconn

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2015, 07:23:28 AM »
It is fair to say. No spin needed.

Get on the academia fantasyland bat-phone in your garage and talk to those associated with the Hall. Not one bad word will be said about Sterling.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I have the same level of access to the Seton Hall program as you. I don't know anyone there. But again, the kid punched another player during a game. That's bad. No matter what, that is bad. No possible excuse for that. And again, not saying he was the problem, but from the outside looking in, it certainly seems like he wasn't part of the solution.
TAMU

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2015, 10:12:26 AM »
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I have the same level of access to the Seton Hall program as you. I don't know anyone there. But again, the kid punched another player during a game. That's bad. No matter what, that is bad. No possible excuse for that. And again, not saying he was the problem, but from the outside looking in, it certainly seems like he wasn't part of the solution.

Hundreds of players have been called for a flagrant foul and ejected from a game. It doesn't mean all of those hundreds were/are compromising the chemistry of a locker room, getting into scuffles off the court, or engaging in conduct unbecoming of a program.

You don't find it at all odd that Seton Hall was 13-3 (3-1) in the second week of January with a starting backcourt of Jaren Sina and Sterling Gibbs only to have Sina leave the program during the season and Gibbs leave the program at the season's completion (only after having been talked out of leaving on the same day as Sina)? If you don't find that odd, let me repeat that nary a bad word is said about either Gibbs or Sina from anyone associated with Hall basketball or anyone who has covered Hall basketball over the last two years.

There are dead fish in South Orange and good for Jaren and Sterling that they've escaped the dumpster fire.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2015, 04:26:27 PM »
Hundreds of players have been called for a flagrant foul and ejected from a game. It doesn't mean all of those hundreds were/are compromising the chemistry of a locker room, getting into scuffles off the court, or engaging in conduct unbecoming of a program.

You don't find it at all odd that Seton Hall was 13-3 (3-1) in the second week of January with a starting backcourt of Jaren Sina and Sterling Gibbs only to have Sina leave the program during the season and Gibbs leave the program at the season's completion (only after having been talked out of leaving on the same day as Sina)? If you don't find that odd, let me repeat that nary a bad word is said about either Gibbs or Sina from anyone associated with Hall basketball or anyone who has covered Hall basketball over the last two years.

There are dead fish in South Orange and good for Jaren and Sterling that they've escaped the dumpster fire.

I understand all that. But punching a kid during a basketball game is still unacceptable and I believe further worsened the situation in the Hall locker room. Again, not saying he was the problem, I'm saying he wasn't part of the solution either.
TAMU

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 08:46:56 AM »
I understand all that. But punching a kid during a basketball game is still unacceptable and I believe further worsened the situation in the Hall locker room. Again, not saying he was the problem, I'm saying he wasn't part of the solution either.

You are a clown.

feedback