Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: :30 shot clock likely to be passed at meetings in a few weeks  (Read 11661 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: :30 shot clock likely to be passed at meetings in a few weeks
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2015, 09:59:22 AM »
In the "old days," there was no shot clock and people had this same complaint.  A 35-second clock was implemented, and it's still too slow so now people want 30.  The logical extension is that eventually people will calculate how long it takes to get a rebound, run it upcourt, and take a shot...and use that to establish the shot clock.  After all, why would we want teams doing anything but bringing it up and shooting, right?

Emblematic of today's society that requires instant responses for everything.  Don't return a call within 5 minutes, and you get "what took you so long?" ?-(

Wow.  Yeah.  Let's extrapolate the college shot clock into a wider message about how society wants instant gratification.   ::)

I actually don't think it is going to be much of a difference.  The shot clock went from 45 seconds to 35 about 15 years ago and I don't think it mattered all that much.  Five seconds isn't going to matter either.  Good coaches and good players are going to adjust.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2015, 10:00:39 AM »
I agree that time has come to move the college game along a bit, but I also see that it will likely impact shooting percentages as well as lessen the variations in playing styles. The reality is that college players are not as skilled as NBA players, and so to force them to play the same game will not be all good.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2015, 10:01:22 AM »
Ive watched more Bulls games this past week then I have in a while and the lack of ball movement is astounding.

Well the Bulls are just one team out of the NBA.  The NBA ball movement is on the whole much better than it was a decade ago.  

By and large, NCAA ball movement is hardly better.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 10:02:57 AM »
I am happy about this change.  35 is way too long.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 10:03:34 AM »
A 30 second clock brings more urgency to the offense and encourages (somewhat) more aggressive offense.  The biggest danger to the offense from this change won't be lower shooting percentages, it will be turnovers.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2015, 10:08:51 AM »
A 30 second clock brings more urgency to the offense and encourages (somewhat) more aggressive offense.  The biggest danger to the offense from this change won't be lower shooting percentages, it will be turnovers.

Yea and turnovers are already bad enough as is. This will not work out well, Even those who support the change said it themselves, the difference between college and the NBA is incredible. At the end of the season, we MAY see higher scoring, but shooting percentage will decrease and turnovers will increase.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2015, 10:12:44 AM »
Yea and turnovers are already bad enough as is. This will not work out well, Even those who support the change said it themselves, the difference between college and the NBA is incredible. At the end of the season, we MAY see higher scoring, but shooting percentage will decrease and turnovers will increase.

Of course it will at first. I think this also might begin to emphasize shooting by the coaches instead of slashing and three pointers.  And if that happens percentages will be fine over time. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2015, 10:15:32 AM »
Of course it will at first. I think this also might begin to emphasize shooting by the coaches instead of slashing and three pointers.  And if that happens percentages will be fine over time.  

You bring up a good point here.

When the NBA got rid of their illegal defense (zones were not allowed), scoring decreased at first.  But then NBA coaches figured out how to run better offenses and the game simply got better as the ball moved more.  (I know this meant we had to sacrifice the isolation plays on one side where everyone else stood on the other side.  THAT was boring basketball.)

So you very well might not see an appreciable difference in scoring.  But good coaches will figure it out.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 10:15:50 AM »
This is one of those things I will never agree with, even if it does miraculously increase shooting percentages. The thing I like about high school and college basketball is that its not the NBA. Any step towards an NBA game is not a welcome change in my book.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 10:18:49 AM »
The reason I like the longer shot clock is because teams actually run sets. I hate all of the isolation plays that end up happening in the NBA. These kids arent as skilled as NBA players, the shooting percentages will be at an all time low next year guaranteed. So if you though the game was sloppy before, just wait.

Some of you are acting like 15 seconds are being sliced off the clock.  It is 5 seconds.  Those extra five seconds should not stop a team from running sets or getting off a good shot.  If a team can't get off a good shot in 30 seconds those extra five probably aren't going to make much of a difference.  The more possessions the better.  

And you also can't judge the results after one year of the rule - too small of a sample.      

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2015, 10:25:05 AM »
This is one of those things I will never agree with, even if it does miraculously increase shooting percentages. The thing I like about high school and college basketball is that its not the NBA. Any step towards an NBA game is not a welcome change in my book.

The talent disparity particularly with early entry will keep the college game from approaching the NBA game.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2015, 10:32:21 AM »
The reason I like the longer shot clock is because teams actually run sets. I hate all of the isolation plays that end up happening in the NBA. These kids arent as skilled as NBA players, the shooting percentages will be at an all time low next year guaranteed. So if you though the game was sloppy before, just wait.

With 35 seconds they either stall for almost ten seconds before running the set, or they'll start to run a set, fail to get on the same page, re-start, have it sniffed out, re-start again.  Wouldn't be surprised if it helps offenses by forcing them to execute a play without the luxury of being tentative because there's always time to try again.  If not, try on the next possession, rather than multiple tries during one (without the benefit of an offensive rebound).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2015, 10:41:23 AM »

Agree completely.

It's a different game. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2015, 10:50:48 AM »
I think we passed up a lot of solid shots the last couple of years trying to find a better one that often never came.  If this forces teams to take the first good shot it could be good for many teams, increasing scoring while not dropping percentages too much.

The downside, IMO, is that anything that lowers the potential for upsets is bad for college basketball.  One of the things that makes college basketball different from the NBA is the way strategy can overcome talent.  The shorter the shot clock, the more advantage talent has.  Some think thats a good thing, some don't.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2015, 10:53:54 AM »
I was at the Colorado state high school Final Four in March and there was no shot clock at all.  Interesting to watch.  Nothing slow about it at all. Entertaining games. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2015, 10:55:33 AM »
Some of you are acting like 15 seconds are being sliced off the clock.  It is 5 seconds.  Those extra five seconds should not stop a team from running sets or getting off a good shot.  If a team can't get off a good shot in 30 seconds those extra five probably aren't going to make much of a difference.  

Isn't that Crean's entire offense??

Death on call

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2015, 11:00:02 AM »
college water polo has been using a 30 second shot clock, like in the water, with swimming, and people trying to drown you, and they have time to run plays. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2015, 11:02:28 AM »

Wow.  Yeah.  Let's extrapolate the college shot clock into a wider message about how society wants instant gratification.   ::)

You're right - I shouldn't...because changes in society never have any impact on sports/entertainment. ::)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2015, 11:17:18 AM »
You're right - I shouldn't...because changes in society never have any impact on sports/entertainment. ::)

You shouldn't because it is a ridiculous reach.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2015, 11:31:05 AM »
I was at the Colorado state high school Final Four in March and there was no shot clock at all.  Interesting to watch.  Nothing slow about it at all. Entertaining games.  

The jump from HS to college is bigger than the jump from college to NBA.  Those darn millionaire college coaches figured out too many ways to take advantage of no shot clock, and watchability suffered.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2015, 11:33:29 AM »

You shouldn't because it is a ridiculous reach.

It's ridiculous and naïve to think that popular culture has nothing to do with the public's tastes or expectations in sports/entertainment.  

Keep your eyes closed....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2015, 11:38:43 AM »
It's ridiculous and naïve to think that popular culture has nothing to do with the public's tastes or expectations in sports/entertainment. 

Keep your eyes closed....

Of course pop culture has an impact on sports.  "Instant gratification" isn't really pop culture. 

College basketball scoring has been decreasing since the 1970s, largely due to better defense.  It is hardly some sort of indictment on society that people want to tweak the rules to get more scoring.  Sports have always changed to give offenses and defenses more balance.

You are making it way more than it actually is.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2015, 11:40:15 AM »

Of course pop culture has an impact on sports.  "Instant gratification" isn't really pop culture

There's your disconnect.....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2015, 11:41:11 AM »
There's your disconnect.....

And ignores the rest of the post.  Classic.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2015, 11:48:59 AM »

And ignores the rest of the post.  Classic.

Because you AGREED that pop culture has an impact on sports, and then showed a fundamental misunderstanding of what pop culture means.  The rest of your post simply confirms my argument - that society's current for instant gratification (PART OF OUR POP CULTURE) leads to demands for more scoring, which leads to demands for shorter shot clocks.

Follow the dots on your own.  My work is done here.

feedback