Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: :30 shot clock likely to be passed at meetings in a few weeks  (Read 11549 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
I don't like it, but many do.  Will increase the number of possessions, but I have to think that shooting percentages will be uglier as a result. 

I like seeing different styles of basketball, including those that work the clock for the better shot.  Shortening the clock will hurt that a bit, but I'm glad they aren't going to 24 seconds.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: :30 shot clock likely to be passed at meetings in a few weeks
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 01:09:26 AM »
Hate it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 02:07:03 AM »
A ripple of fear in Madison...

Death on call

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 03:24:29 AM »
Love it

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 06:37:01 AM »
A welcome change. They should shorten the shot clock after fouls to :20 since you don't have to get across the time line. Teams will adjust and less clock will be milked early. I'm glad it didn't go to 24, as these aren't NBA players, but like the change.

Much better that the :45 Bo voted for  :D
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 06:50:11 AM »
If it stinks they can always go back to a 35 sec clock.  Remember the rolling clock fiasco in football a few years ago?  That lasted all of one season.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 07:29:30 AM »
Much needed, about time.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 07:49:32 AM »
Good.  35 seconds is lame.  Even if it doesn't lead to more offense/scoring, there's no need for stall dribbling, or resets when things aren't developing in the possession. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 08:07:17 AM »
Serious question - why would anyone dislike this change?  It's long overdue.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 08:07:23 AM »
If women can figure out how to shoot the ball in 30 seconds I think the men can handle it. Not sure how you can hate this, there is plenty of time wasted walking the ball up the court or watching Derrick Wilson dribble in place for 7 seconds.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 08:14:53 AM »
Next up...widen the lane to the NBA size.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 08:19:31 AM »
I don't get how this change could be anything but positive?  Players need somewhere between 31 and 35 seconds to get a good shot at the basket....anything sooner and its a statistically worse shot??

I like it, and a good compromise to not going all the way to 24...these guys ain't the NBA yet.

Now if we can just get the officials uniformly trained and convinced that their picture doesn't appear on the game tickets we'll be getting somewhere  ;) #refshow
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 08:37:14 AM »
For as much crap as people give NBA officials, it has taken me a week and a half of NBA playoffs to realize that they are infinitely better than the NCAAs.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 08:42:33 AM »
For as much crap as people give NBA officials, it has taken me a week and a half of NBA playoffs to realize that they are infinitely better than the NCAAs.

This is unfortunately correct.

Have to say though, I feel like basketball has to be the toughest sport to officiate.

One change I think they could make to help officiating in the NCAA is have a fitness test.  Especially if the game speed picks up with the shot clock change I think a ton of officiating mistakes happen because officials are out of position. 
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 09:23:30 AM »
A ripple of fear in Madison...

And among Badger opponents who will have less time to beat the Badger's defense.  30 to 27 final scores, anyone?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 09:24:41 AM »
Hate it.

Have a seat son, and let this old timer tell you all about something called the "four corners" offense...
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 09:36:19 AM »

Serious answer....because it encourages different styles of play, gives some teams with less talent the chance to win, encourages teams to actually pass the ball and look for the best shot possible, etc.

Cutting it 5 seconds won't be a killer, but whenever you reduce the shot clock you also reduce style of play options.  It will lead to more forced shots (bad shots), etc.  It obviously favors the run and gun type teams. 

You may disagree with this answer, but these are some of the reasons why it has been kept as long as it has.  Whether reducing it leads to more points we will see. It certainly will lead to more possessions over a course of a game which should lead to more points.  It may also lead to a lot more missed shots and forced bball to get that extra 5 to 10 points a game.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 09:38:03 AM »

Many of the complaints I hear about the college game is that it's too sloppy, shooting percentages are too low, etc.  Rushing things further will only exacerbate these issues.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 09:38:53 AM »

Of course they are.  They also only have to ref for 30 teams, not 352.....so many more games means you have to go that much deeper into the ref talent pool.  This shouldn't be surprising at all.

Widening the lane will not happen this year.  It might get approved, but will not be implemented this year.  Too difficult to redraw the lines for most programs this quickly. They need a good year to plan that out, send the courts out for alterations, etc.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 09:44:11 AM »
Many of the complaints I hear about the college game is that it's too sloppy, shooting percentages are too low, etc.  Rushing things further will only exacerbate these issues.

I disagree.  My main complaint is that too many teams just stand around wasting time trying to run down the shot clock.  This will keep things moving and make the game more fluid.  I think the lower reset after an offensive rebound would be bigger, especially toward the end of games.  Too many teams just waste 35 seconds, jack up a shot and luck out with the offensive rebound to waste another 35 seconds.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 09:52:06 AM »
The reason I like the longer shot clock is because teams actually run sets. I hate all of the isolation plays that end up happening in the NBA. These kids arent as skilled as NBA players, the shooting percentages will be at an all time low next year guaranteed. So if you though the game was sloppy before, just wait.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 09:53:06 AM »
I disagree.  My main complaint is that too many teams just stand around wasting time trying to run down the shot clock.  This will keep things moving and make the game more fluid.  I think the lower reset after an offensive rebound would be bigger, especially toward the end of games.  Too many teams just waste 35 seconds, jack up a shot and luck out with the offensive rebound to waste another 35 seconds.

In the "old days," there was no shot clock and people had this same complaint.  A 35-second clock was implemented, and it's still too slow so now people want 30.  The logical extension is that eventually people will calculate how long it takes to get a rebound, run it upcourt, and take a shot...and use that to establish the shot clock.  After all, why would we want teams doing anything but bringing it up and shooting, right?

Emblematic of today's society that requires instant responses for everything.  Don't return a call within 5 minutes, and you get "what took you so long?" ?-(

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 09:55:47 AM »
The reason I like the longer shot clock is because teams actually run sets. I hate all of the isolation plays that end up happening in the NBA. These kids arent as skilled as NBA players, the shooting percentages will be at an all time low next year guaranteed. So if you though the game was sloppy before, just wait.

+1

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 09:56:49 AM »

The NBA runs more sets, and the college game runs more isolations, than you are giving each credit for.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 09:58:05 AM »

The NBA runs more sets, and the college game runs more isolations, than you are giving each credit for.

Ive watched more Bulls games this past week then I have in a while and the lack of ball movement is astounding.

feedback