[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Commencement Speakers  (Read 9605 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: Commencement Speakers
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 03:04:13 PM »
Andrew Natsios was pretty boring.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 04:24:08 PM »
lol  Exactly my thought when I see some of the wasteful use of money by our military....also a publicly funded institution. lol

On September 12, 2001 did you thank God that Matthew McConnaughey was ready to give a commencement address for $150K or did you take great comfort knowing there were barrel chested freedom fighters who make $40k a year ready to go halfway around the world to a hostile place to risk everything to protect you?

Death on call

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2015, 07:04:15 AM »
On September 12, 2001 did you thank God that Matthew McConnaughey was ready to give a commencement address for $150K or did you take great comfort knowing there were barrel chested freedom fighters who make $40k a year ready to go halfway around the world to a hostile place to risk everything to protect you?

Interesting date to choose. On September 12, 2001 I was curious when my daughter said militarily dressed people came to her high school classroom to take a female student out of class. Later we learned that she was a member of an extended family named Bin Laden that were spirited out of the country in flights, the next day, arranged by Prince Bandar in September 12 meetings with President Bush. Today I think...how is it that the Saudi's have gotten a 15 year free pass on their 9/11 terrorist citizens who were financially supported by money traceable to others from there?

Keefe, I thought the irony funny as you have seen military excess first hand.Let's leave it right there, ... as I wasn't throwing down for an argument, in the least. The best way to stir one is make your false analogy.

Here. .... The soldier going to war at $40k is to .....the teacher at $40k who trys to improve and mold young minds...both are people who earn  their pay and we are glad to support their jobs with our taxes.

McConnaughey's stupidly excessive fee (on which we agree) is to the...... take your pick of a military contracting theft/fraud incidents, funded by fed tax dollars...Houston's own dark hearts at KBR come to mind ( on this too, I think we should agree).

We minions of the world share a frustration when the larger than any one life tax supported institutions are able...often without consequence,.... to wildly blow money on stupid expenditures, and use our tax money to do so.

The emotions we all shared on one scary day, over 13 years ago, however, don't excuse this point with foolish tax spending excesses. We have overspent on our 9/11 fears and emotions many times over. Whether its emotional tax waste by feds, or vanity/celebrity worship purchases of actors as commencement speakers, also with tax money...its all wasteful. One waste is not better or worse than another waste. On this too I suspect we agree.

Our difference is likely I laugh at both categories of tax waste( such coping is better than screaming or crying over the unresolvable)... whereas you were closer to  the one category. AND....Because I knew going in to my post that you were closer to the military category... my "lol" post was funny to me....but  neither kind, considerate, or funny to you. For that I am sorry. I apologize.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 07:13:46 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2015, 01:08:36 PM »
Interesting date to choose. On September 12, 2001 I was curious when my daughter said militarily dressed people came to her high school classroom to take a female student out of class. Later we learned that she was a member of an extended family named Bin Laden that were spirited out of the country in flights, the next day, arranged by Prince Bandar in September 12 meetings with President Bush. Today I think...how is it that the Saudi's have gotten a 15 year free pass on their 9/11 terrorist citizens who were financially supported by money traceable to others from there?

Keefe, I thought the irony funny as you have seen military excess first hand.Let's leave it right there, ... as I wasn't throwing down for an argument, in the least. The best way to stir one is make your false analogy.

Here. .... The soldier going to war at $40k is to .....the teacher at $40k who trys to improve and mold young minds...both are people who earn  their pay and we are glad to support their jobs with our taxes.

McConnaughey's stupidly excessive fee (on which we agree) is to the...... take your pick of a military contracting theft/fraud incidents, funded by fed tax dollars...Houston's own dark hearts at KBR come to mind ( on this too, I think we should agree).

We minions of the world share a frustration when the larger than any one life tax supported institutions are able...often without consequence,.... to wildly blow money on stupid expenditures, and use our tax money to do so.

The emotions we all shared on one scary day, over 13 years ago, however, don't excuse this point with foolish tax spending excesses. We have overspent on our 9/11 fears and emotions many times over. Whether its emotional tax waste by feds, or vanity/celebrity worship purchases of actors as commencement speakers, also with tax money...its all wasteful. One waste is not better or worse than another waste. On this too I suspect we agree.

Our difference is likely I laugh at both categories of tax waste( such coping is better than screaming or crying over the unresolvable)... whereas you were closer to  the one category. AND....Because I knew going in to my post that you were closer to the military category... my "lol" post was funny to me....but  neither kind, considerate, or funny to you. For that I am sorry. I apologize.

Don't get me stated on KBR...take about fraud, waste, and abuse...Dick Cheney should be ashamed. Problem with Cheney is that he knows he is wrong but really doesn't give a sh1t what anyone thinks

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »
General concensus from the seniors I've talked to are pretty upset with the choice. Others don't care but the majority are not a fan. Let's face it. Everybody wants someone flashy

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2015, 04:50:12 PM »

Keefe, I thought the irony funny as you have seen military excess first hand.Let's leave it right there,

As i ran around Lake Sammamish this morning your post caused me to reflect on the absurdities I have witnessed with defense spending. Defense contractors are justifiably called "Beltway Bandits" for a reason and there are tragic flaws in our procurement system. But, having said which, I would assert that we need to add in the phenomenal benefit we as a society have gotten in terms of the way we work-play, live-die from the huge investment made in defense R&D.

Most of my first hand experience had to do with the absurdity of defense accounting. At the end of every budget period we launched aircraft for no reason other than to burn up JP 8, often times dumping fuel just to get rid of it. No meaningful training was accomplished and combat effectiveness was not actually improved. We were fighting the 'Use it or Lose it' battle that occurs at the end of every budget cycle.

Meanwhile, as we wasted dollars on gas, LANTIRN pods sat on maintenance benches for want of spare parts. Brave men strapped on multi-million dollar aircraft and flew sub-optimized missions for want of an $18 widget. Rather than living the USAF motto of Fly, Fight, Win we were trying to Fly, Try, Survive.

In '04 I saw Army Joes in Iraq scavenging scrap metal, usually from blown to sh!t Hummers, to weld on  to their own inadequately armored gun trucks. Men were dying while Big Green was buying more M 1s.

I have watched in horror as Mother Blue has tried to finally kill the A 10 - the world's most effective Close Air Support platform ever - and replace it with the jack-of-all trades 35. As both a Hog Driver and a JTAC ALO i know that this will cost the lives of Joes and Marines. Having fought in the Storm, OIF, and OEF I know what works and what doesn't and I am sickened by this effort by the Air Force.

An interesting case study in weapons systems development is the USAF effort to replace the F 4. Initial efforts were coming up with scaled down clones of the F 111 (a horrible 'fighter' that threw every tech fad into the mix and came up with  a disaster...) Enter John Boyd who revolutionized fighter doctrine, tactics, employment, and development. Boyd developed mathematical models in the late '60's that led to the scrapping of all R&D efforts to date and led to the creation of the F 15 and F 16.

The USAF loved the F 15. The Eagle flew higher and faster than anything else in the world. It embodied the image the USAF wanted. The USAF didn't like the F 16. The Lawn Dart was small, "underpowered", and too inexpensive.

Both airframes used the same power plant; the Eagle used two vs the Lawn Dart's one. And while the Eagle went higher and faster, Boyd's model demonstrated that those were not dog fighting differentiators. Instead, Boyd proved that the Lawn Dart's ability to  accelerate faster, fly farther, loiter longer, carry a higher per sortie ordnance strike package, and turn tighter faster than the more glamorous Eagle were significant war fighting advantages in air-air combat. So in actual combat edge, the cheap, light weight, 'underpowered', single seat Lawn Dart was the superior weapons system.

I remember when I was assigned F 16s out of UPT, my Eagle Driver father commenced with the sh1t talking almost immediately. But during the Storm, when Hogs and Lawn Darts were tearing it up in the Sandbox while Eagle Drivers were back home collecting paychecks, there wasn't a single F 15 puke who would not have given his left testicle to be flying an F 16 or A 10.

Even today, the F 15 remains the wrong airframe, for the wrong war, for the wrong time. And yet, rather than nuke the Glamorous Eagle, Mother Blue wants to kill of the cheap. reliable, dependable, and brutally effective Warthog.

Do I see irony in the lunacy of defense spending? No, actually, I see tragedy. Young men and women will pay for these mistakes in blood - theirs. Not the blood of Congressmen (or any of their children), Defense Contractors, KBR execs, or Chicken Hawks inside the Beltway.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2015, 05:11:44 PM »
By the way, the USAF didn't want the F 16. Congress made them take it because it was being sold to NATO allies and they needed the US to have it in its inventory.

The F 16 is the first and last air superiority fighter to cost less than both its predecessor and its successor.

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2015, 06:49:03 AM »
University of Houston was in a recent controversy, by hiring actor Matthew McConaughey for its May commencement...but per his insistence, the amount was a non disclosure secret; the FOI request denied the info release.

The press storm continued, until he finally relented. He revealed he was getting $155k , plus travel expenses(with $20k of that going to his agents). Because of the large embarrassing sum, Matt decided to fix the bad press by donating his fee to a UH foundation. Ironic, too in that Matthew is actually a big UT fan, lacking any UH connection, except for the money.

So, I

BTW, a few months back, the family of the late Robert Keeshan (TV's Captain Kangaroo) posted many of his personal effects on Ebay, including the honorary degree he got from Marquette...the winner got it for less than $300.

NM
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 07:23:46 AM by real chili 83 »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 01:23:59 AM »
NM

NM?
New Mexico
Nano Meter
Never Mind
??
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2015, 09:41:26 AM »
Numb Member, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2015, 12:48:05 PM »
Numb Member, hey?

No Meat, a ina hey?

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2015, 09:52:13 PM »
No mas.

No muff

Nifty mustang

Need mustard

Nice muskie

New money

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2015, 07:42:31 AM »
Nieman Marcus, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Ohbie

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 06:25:06 PM »
My year was Wendy Kopp.  It was terrible.  Everything she has done with starting Teach for America and all is great.  But the whole speech was about Teach for America and she never even tried to rope it into graduating or furthering ourselves.

Couldn't agree more. It was one of the most boring and self-serving speeches I've ever heard. I remember going to lunch with my family and we all couldn't believe how terrible the speech was.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2015, 06:48:33 PM »
William Rehnquist.   Famous name, boring-as-hell speaker. 

Not much of a judge either.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2015, 03:51:56 PM »
I can't remember the speaker but I recall Captain Kangaroo getting an honorary degree ... many ping pong balls (I had to look up the speaker, MU alum, director of Peace Corps). A shame, it might have been OK but ... well, you know.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2015, 04:26:53 PM »
I can't remember the speaker but I recall Captain Kangaroo getting an honorary degree ... many ping pong balls (I had to look up the speaker, MU alum, director of Peace Corps). A shame, it might have been OK but ... well, you know.

Marquette had two Peace Corps Directors speak at Commencement - Elaine Chao and Loret Ruppe. Ruppe was graduated from Marquette. Our daughter was involved in a sustainable food program for Africa that was started by Ruppe and funded in part by the Gates Foundation. 

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2015, 10:40:03 AM »
Peggy was really boring. Way too much talk about God for my liking.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2015, 06:53:51 PM »
Barbara Bush was fine and I think only 15% of libs turned their back on her....which was progress.