[Today at 05:54:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Commencement Speakers  (Read 9603 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Commencement Speakers
« on: April 27, 2015, 01:56:07 PM »
Guarantee I won't remember her name in 10 years. Peggy O'Neal? Kind of upsetting to be honest, oh well, I'm graduating that's the important part.

jficke13

• All American
Re: Commencement Speakers
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 02:28:47 PM »
I got lucky with mine, Dick Enberg and Hank Aaron. Honestly would have skipped the 2nd one if Hammerin' Hank weren't the speaker.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 02:43:13 PM »
Could've been worse.  Two years ago it was Bill Cosby.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 02:49:57 PM »

Avoiding him as my commencement speaker is the real reason I took a 5th year. 

But seriously I can't even remember who mine was last year. He was decently funny and a bit inspiring but overall I was hungover and exited to pop some streamers into the air.
Maigh Eo for Sam

chapman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »

Whoopsiedaisy

GOO

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 03:00:28 PM »
What do these speakers get paid anyway? I'm sure it varies by speaker, but I assume most don't speak for free... or do they?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 03:41:03 PM »
Avoiding him as my commencement speaker is the real reason I took a 5th year. 

But seriously I can't even remember who mine was last year. He was decently funny and a bit inspiring but overall I was hungover and exited to pop some streamers into the air.

Fr. James Martin, SJ.

One of the best in recent memory.  Don't be one bit surprised if he comes back to town for your 10th Reunion or something.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 04:40:41 PM »
List of speakers since 1980.    I was working on graduation day in 1998 so I did not hear Howard Fuller's speech.

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/commencement/start

Quite the wide range of individuals represented.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 08:38:56 AM by Badgerhater »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 05:00:05 PM »
What do these speakers get paid anyway? I'm sure it varies by speaker, but I assume most don't speak for free... or do they?

They get paid and it is becoming a bit ridiculous.

Our daughter was graduated from Columbia - the only speaker they ever invite is the University President. I think that is the very best idea.

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 05:56:17 PM »
Interestingly my neighbor Yale handles speakers a little different.  They have Class Day the day before graduation and award the academic, artistic, and athletic prizes followed by an address by a notable speaker.  So there is no speaker on graduation day itself.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 06:31:17 PM »
Guarantee I won't remember her name in 10 years. Peggy O'Neal? Kind of upsetting to be honest, oh well, I'm graduating that's the important part.

What exactly is the complaint here?  Someone who might be the closest living person to Mother Teresa is going to speak on serious and meaningful issues and explain how she has dedicated her life to help the truly poor.  Are we afraid she will not have enough one-liners?

Prediction ... next year will be Republican Nominee Scott Walker.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 06:50:23 PM »
William Rehnquist.   Famous name, boring-as-hell speaker. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 07:30:14 PM »

About time that sonuvabitch got his degree from Marquette

Death on call

chapman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 09:52:53 PM »
Interestingly my neighbor Yale handles speakers a little different.  They have Class Day the day before graduation and award the academic, artistic, and athletic prizes followed by an address by a notable speaker.  So there is no speaker on graduation day itself.

That's not how they did it on Gilmore Girls.

:-[

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 10:26:26 PM »
My son graduated from MU in '01.  Commencement headliner was the recently-retired Fred Rogers ("Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood") speaking to an audience who had grown up watching him on PBS.  We all were enthralled.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 10:41:57 PM »
For you college hockey fans out there, my highschool graduation speaker was Jerry York who coaches at BC and he has the most wins in College Hockey history. He was fantastic, not an incredibly gifted public speaker but he was very sincere and had some good messages. It is also notable that he graduated from my alma martyr 50 years earlier.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 12:01:44 AM »

No way.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 02:16:29 AM »
University of Houston was in a recent controversy, by hiring actor Matthew McConaughey for its May commencement...but per his insistence, the amount was a non disclosure secret; the FOI request denied the info release.

The press storm continued, until he finally relented. He revealed he was getting $155k , plus travel expenses(with $20k of that going to his agents). Because of the large embarrassing sum, Matt decided to fix the bad press by donating his fee to a UH foundation. Ironic, too in that Matthew is actually a big UT fan, lacking any UH connection, except for the money.

So, I guess sometimes these fees are pretty high.

BTW, a few months back, the family of the late Robert Keeshan (TV's Captain Kangaroo) posted many of his personal effects on Ebay, including the honorary degree he got from Marquette...the winner got it for less than $300.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 05:39:34 AM »
University of Houston was in a recent controversy, by hiring actor Matthew McConaughey for its May commencement...but per his insistence, the amount was a non disclosure secret; the FOI request denied the info release.

The press storm continued, until he finally relented. He revealed he was getting $155k , plus travel expenses(with $20k of that going to his agents). Because of the large embarrassing sum, Matt decided to fix the bad press by donating his fee to a UH foundation. Ironic, too in that Matthew is actually a big UT fan, lacking any UH connection, except for the money.

So, I guess sometimes these fees are pretty high.

BTW, a few months back, the family of the late Robert Keeshan (TV's Captain Kangaroo) posted many of his personal effects on Ebay, including the honorary degree he got from Marquette...the winner got it for less than $300.

How can a publicly funded institution justify giving that much money to an actor for a 15 minute speech? And let's face it: what does an entertainer really have to say that is worth an honorarium?

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/31192270/ns/business-us_business/t/lucrative-business-campus-speeches/#.VUCyoCFViko

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 07:12:24 AM »
That's not how they did it on Gilmore Girls.

:-[

I know the show took place in Connecticut.  Was it fictionally Yale also?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 07:29:44 AM »
I know the show took place in Connecticut.  Was it fictionally Yale also?

Yep, in the last few seasons the daughter goes to Yale and a good amount of time is set on campus.

Found this description:
http://archives.yalealumnimagazine.com/issues/03_09/gilmoregirls.html

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 07:40:06 AM »
I attended the Enberg commencement speech, it was very well done.

My year was Wendy Kopp.  It was terrible.  Everything she has done with starting Teach for America and all is great.  But the whole speech was about Teach for America and she never even tried to rope it into graduating or furthering ourselves.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 10:18:29 AM »
For you college hockey fans out there, my highschool graduation speaker was Jerry York who coaches at BC and he has the most wins in College Hockey history. He was fantastic, not an incredibly gifted public speaker but he was very sincere and had some good messages. It is also notable that he graduated from my alma martyr 50 years earlier.

My high school graduation speaker was the then-FLOTUS Hillary Clinton.  Somewhere in my parents' basement is a picture of me, stoned out of my mind, shaking Hil's hand.

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2015, 01:49:30 PM »

I remember the name of my speaker 10+ years ago.  Wayne Sanders said as part of his commencement speech that he and another trustee would donate $1M each if the nickname became the Warriors again.  His intentions were good, but it started the whole embarrasing "Gold" debacle.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 02:45:10 PM »

How can a publicly funded institution justify giving that much money

lol  Exactly my thought when I see some of the wasteful use of money by our military....also a publicly funded institution. lol
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

feedback