[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Iowa State  (Read 8903 times)

WarriorPride68

• All American
Iowa State
« on: April 26, 2015, 03:01:39 PM »
I'm curious what other scoopers think about these guys from Ames. Anyone know where the Wisconsin pipeline started? It dates back to the McDermott era.

Scott Christopherson
Diante Garrett
Korie Lucious
Matt Thomas
Jameel McKay
Deonte Burton
Nick Noskowiak
(Forgot some, I'm sure)

Offers out to Sam & Joey Hauser + Kostas, ect.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Iowa State
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 03:12:38 PM »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 03:22:55 PM »
Mostly down to one man:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._J._Otzelberger

Dang, didn't realize TJ had been in Ames that long. I've also heard something about Freddie Owens too?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 03:40:14 PM »
Owens was there as a graduate assistant, but TJ is their Wisconsin point man. And if Hoiberg goes to the NBA in a month or so, well, let's just say I don't think he came back to Ames for the bowling alleys.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 03:42:04 PM by brewcity77 »

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 01:25:49 PM »
Iowa State once again creeping into Wisconsin! Offered Kobe King, 2017 Guard from LaCrosse

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 07:25:18 PM »
They also offered Joey Hauser today....just a Freshman....

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 08:15:12 PM »
Luscious Lucious, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 10:55:39 PM »

Didn't see that. If Hoiberg stays it will be an interesting battle for the Hauser boys.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 09:09:01 AM »

Didn't see that. If Hoiberg stays it will be an interesting battle for the Hauser boys.

Hoiberg's not the reason Iowa State is offering.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 09:17:09 AM »

Making it clear from the start that both Hauser boys can attend Iowa State together.  Something that they have said is important.  I'm sure that Wojo has said that MU would want Joey, but Iowa State is removing all doubt.  Smart ploy.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 09:27:25 AM »
Making it clear from the start that both Hauser boys can attend Iowa State together.  Something that they have said is important.  I'm sure that Wojo has said that MU would want Joey, but Iowa State is removing all doubt.  Smart ploy.

The good news is that the Hauser's seem to get along very well with Wojo so far. I imagine Wojo just has to point to the Ellenson family and go "see, I'd totally do that...just like we did with the Plumlee family as well. We are all about family."

That's gonna be a big selling point. And Wojo has been all over the Hausers since he stepped foot in Milwaukee.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 09:30:27 AM »
Otzelberger came back because Hoiberg will be in the NBA in a few months, maybe a year at most. When that happens, TJ will be the next Iowa State head coach.

That's how I see it. That's how I interpret Romar's comments. And that's why any Wisconsin kids committing to or interested in Iowa State should be taken seriously, because they aren't committing to Hoiberg, they are committing to Otzelberger.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 09:45:45 AM »
Hoiberg's not the reason Iowa State is offering.

Yes, I understand TJ has the wisconsin connections. But I'm more worried about Hoiberg as a recruiter. Wojo vs Hoiberg will be a great battle. If Hoiberg leaves, I'm not worried about TJ over taking the state on his own.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »
Hoiberg is gone. He's the Mayor of Chicago now, especially after the Bulls inability to put the Bucks down quick in the playoffs.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
Hoiberg is gone. He's the Mayor of Chicago now, especially after the Bulls inability to put the Bucks down quick in the playoffs.

Yup,

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 09:58:41 AM »

Understood.

But IMO, Hoiberg sits down in the Hauser's living room and talks about his nba front office experience, nba playing experience, getting players to next level, how he was born and raised in the Ames community, ect. That gets people excited.

Then when TJ walks in what does he say, "I'm from Wisconsin & went to whitewater, you can trust me!"

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 10:04:29 AM »

Yes, I understand TJ has the wisconsin connections. But I'm more worried about Hoiberg as a recruiter. Wojo vs Hoiberg will be a great battle. If Hoiberg leaves, I'm not worried about TJ over taking the state on his own.

You won't have to worry for long.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 10:16:26 AM »
You won't have to worry for long.

Could his recent heart surgery complicate things? Adrian Wojo thinks he's serious about staying:

@CodyWesterlund: On Fred Hoiberg to NBA talk, @WojYahooNBA said on @670TheScore
that, "I take him at his word about how happy he is in Ames."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 10:17:57 AM »

Could his recent heart surgery complicate things? Adrian Wojo thinks he's serious about staying:

@CodyWesterlund: On Fred Hoiberg to NBA talk, @WojYahooNBA said on @670TheScore
that, "I take him at his word about how happy he is in Ames."

And Buzz was happy at Marquette. Coach talk. Hes obviously not going to say hes unhappy with his current employer.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 11:26:51 AM »
Understood.

But IMO, Hoiberg sits down in the Hauser's living room and talks about his nba front office experience, nba playing experience, getting players to next level, how he was born and raised in the Ames community, ect. That gets people excited.

Then when TJ walks in what does he say, "I'm from Wisconsin & went to whitewater, you can trust me!"

I know this line of thinking is prevalent, but I think it's totally off base. In that living room, TJ is the guy that has the relationship built. He's the one that has known their high school and AAU coaches for 20 years and has their trust. He's the guy from where they are from and understands better what they've went through.

Recruiting is about relationships, and it's often the assistant coaches that build those relationships. The reason guys like TJ Otzelberger, Slice Rohrssen, Bobby Lutz, and Kurtis Townsend are so valuable to a coaching staff is because despite not having the NBA profile of a Hoiberg, they have a proven ability to build relationships and secure those players.

A big part of Hoiberg's success has been making sure he has quality assistants that are great recruiters. Honestly, the recruiting side is one of Hoiberg's weaker points. TJ, Lutz, and Abdelmassih have had just as much to do with ISU's success as their more noteworthy head coach has been.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:38:41 AM by brewcity77 »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 11:33:57 AM »
I know this line of thinking is prevalent, but I think it's totally off base. In that living room, TJ is the guy that has the relationship built. He's the one that has known their high school and AAU coaches for 20 years and has their trust. He's the guy from where they are from and understands better what they've went through.

Recruiting is about relationships, and it's often the assistant coaches that build those relationships. The reason guys like TJ Otzelberger, Slice Rohrssen, Bobby Lutz, and Kurtis Townsend are so valuable to a coaching staff is because despite not having the NBA profile of a Hoiberg, they have a proven ability to build relationships and secure those players.

A big part of Hoiberg's success has been making sure he has quality assistants that are greasy recruiters. Honestly, the recruiting side is one of Hoiberg's weaker points. TJ, Lutz, and Abdelmassih have had just as much to do with ISU's success as their more noteworthy head coach has been.

Nice insight into recruiting.  Thanks.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 02:57:44 PM »
Brew I appreciate the knowledge, you seem to have a firm grasp on things.

I'm curious to why TJ hasn't been interviewed for head coaching jobs if what your saying is true with TJ being dynomite. Did uwgb reach out to him? I'm just curious.

Also, he wasn't even at ISU when McKay and Burton transfered there. Why again does Hoiberg get no credit?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 03:14:05 PM »

I'm curious to why TJ hasn't been interviewed for head coaching jobs if what your saying is true with TJ being dynomite. Did uwgb reach out to him? I'm just curious.

Also, he wasn't even at ISU when McKay and Burton transfered there. Why again does Hoiberg get no credit?

Brew has no more grasp on recruiting than anyone else here. He just has a lot more time to read second and third hand sources. To say those kids didn't sign because of Hoiberg is a wild ass guess. Kids probably sign with the head coach or program more than any assistant.

If you use Brew's logic then Wojo and Capel are Duke and not K.

Please. What horsesh1t.

Death on call

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 03:41:14 PM »

There were reports that GB did want to hire TJ, but he turned them down. When he left Washington, Romar said it would become evident why in a few months. The ISU media framed it to mean because ISU would have a good team, but in context it sure sounded like he was going to be the head coach in waiting.

Hoiberg is a good coach, but he's never be known as an aggressive recruiter. That's why many speculate on him being a better NBA fit.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 03:48:23 PM »
When he has perfected aquiring transfers of midwestern kids who for whatever reason didn't find their initial commitment a good fit and decide to transfer to ISU does he really need to be a dynamic highschool recruiter?
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery