collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Road "Warriors"  (Read 11888 times)

chapman

• All American
Re: Road "Warriors"
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 03:41:21 PM »
Rack up airline miles / hotel points if possible.

Not only don't bring a checked bag, but try to get everything to fit into your one item.  It's that much better to not have to lug around a coat, laptop bag, etc. if you don't have to.

Shoes are the worst for luggage.  Heavy, bulky, usually want to put in their own compartment of the bag.  If at all possible, go with the pair on your feet.  If you have to pack an extra pair, maybe something like light gym shoes (like Nike Free).

Learn to use smartphone apps.  People worry too much about getting their boarding passes printed or just digging up the e-mail to get them, not knowing if the flight is on time, finding the hotel or rental car confirmation number.  So much easier to have a couple phone apps set on their own dedicated shortcut tab than to print, dig through, find papers.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 01:03:44 PM »
If you have ever been at O'Hare or Midway at 1 a.m., staring at a luggage carousel for 30 minutes waiting for it to start moving, you would avoid checking baggage at all costs.

Especially if its not even your own luggage. Picked up my ex from the airport one time. Her flight was delayed, luggage took forever and she had a pretty small bag. I was pretty upset.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 01:17:32 PM »
Learn to use smartphone apps.  People worry too much about getting their boarding passes printed or just digging up the e-mail to get them, not knowing if the flight is on time, finding the hotel or rental car confirmation number.  So much easier to have a couple phone apps set on their own dedicated shortcut tab than to print, dig through, find papers.

Can't stress this enough.  I fly primarily United for pleasure, but have the Delta and American apps on my phone for various work trips.  Getting boarding passes, updates, and easy check in makes it a no-brainer.  I recently was on a two-leg flight in which seats were assigned at the gates and I had a paper boarding pass for each.  It was awful comparatively.  Even with Virgin America, who doesn't have an app, I go online and get the boarding pass to import into Passbook.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 04:39:37 PM »
BTW picked up a Briggs & Riley Baseline carryon

http://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/collections/baseline/domestic-carry-on-expandable-upright

Legitimately excellent. The lifetime complete warranty is a big deal; no longer worry about any damage to the luggage, but it is build so solidly I'd be hard-pressed to crack the handle chassis with a tank.

Consider it a cautious recommendation to those in the market!
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2015, 05:03:49 PM »
Skimmed through this somewhat quickly, but figured I'd share my thoughts as I travel nonstop for work (last calendar year spent 227 nights in hotel rooms).

Flights - stick with one airline - this also means paying a little extra for a personal flight when you have them.  those additional miles and segments add up and really count when you are trying to make the next status level.  Never check a bag.  Simple.  Get Global Entry if you can.  Some employers will reimburse you for it, gets you Precheck everytime and traveling back to the US is a breeze through customs.  If you like drinking on planes but dont wanna shell out the dough for it, buy those mini-alcohol bottles yourself and carry them on.  Order a ginger ale on the flight for free and add your Jack.  They are under the 3oz size.  Just dont let the flight attendant catch you.  Flying morning/late at night, book a window seat as its easier to sleep.  Mid-day, grab the aisle for more leg room, always try and get the exit row if you can.  Someone else mentioned it earlier as well, always be respectful of flight attendants.  Before precheck existed, I always wore shoes that were easy to slip in and out of as well as used a laptop bag that had the extra middle zipper so you didnt have to take the computer out.

Hotels - again, stick with one chain.  My favorite is SPG properties.  They are generally available in all cities, rates are reasonable, and the hotels are nice.  SPG points are well known to have the most value for any reward point.  I'm also a fan of Hyatts.  To me, the nicest hotels and friendliest staff hands down.  Generally the rates are a little bit higher and they aren't quite as available in some of the smaller cities.  If eating at the hotel bar/restaurant, always put it on your room and then itemize later.  Extra points.  Make sure you always register for the hotel promotions, extra points.  Link you hotel/airline accounts.  Marriott/United and SPG/Delta provide reciprocal status as well as additional benefits.

If anything ever goes wrong on a flight/hotel stay that isn't weather related or unavoidable by the staff.  Complain.  Always, always complain.  Easiest way to get more points and miles.

Also, I second the Briggs and Riley luggage.  I've had one for 3 years now with nonstop travel and finally have a little tear in it.  Gonna take it in for a new one.  The way the warranty was explained to me was that I could take an axe to my suitcase, go to the store, tell the guy that I took an axe to it, and I would still get a new one to replace it.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2015, 05:36:51 PM »

Also, I second the Briggs and Riley luggage.  I've had one for 3 years now with nonstop travel and finally have a little tear in it.  Gonna take it in for a new one.  The way the warranty was explained to me was that I could take an axe to my suitcase, go to the store, tell the guy that I took an axe to it, and I would still get a new one to replace it.

Third the Briggs & Riley.   Have the same model Grayson referenced.  Just a wonderfully designed piece of luggage.  It's 22" high/SWA allows 24".  Was surprised, however, on a SWA flight to Ft. Myers in February that it didn't fit in the overhead wheels in first.  That's the first time it had to be placed sideways.  Boeing 737-300. 

Ludum habemus.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2015, 06:02:26 PM »
Skimmed through this somewhat quickly, but figured I'd share my thoughts as I travel nonstop for work (last calendar year spent 227 nights in hotel rooms).

Flights - stick with one airline - this also means paying a little extra for a personal flight when you have them.  those additional miles and segments add up and really count when you are trying to make the next status level.  Never check a bag.  Simple.  Get Global Entry if you can.  Some employers will reimburse you for it, gets you Precheck everytime and traveling back to the US is a breeze through customs.  If you like drinking on planes but dont wanna shell out the dough for it, buy those mini-alcohol bottles yourself and carry them on.  Order a ginger ale on the flight for free and add your Jack.  They are under the 3oz size.  Just dont let the flight attendant catch you.  Flying morning/late at night, book a window seat as its easier to sleep.  Mid-day, grab the aisle for more leg room, always try and get the exit row if you can.  Someone else mentioned it earlier as well, always be respectful of flight attendants.  Before precheck existed, I always wore shoes that were easy to slip in and out of as well as used a laptop bag that had the extra middle zipper so you didnt have to take the computer out.

Hotels - again, stick with one chain.  My favorite is SPG properties.  They are generally available in all cities, rates are reasonable, and the hotels are nice.  SPG points are well known to have the most value for any reward point.  I'm also a fan of Hyatts.  To me, the nicest hotels and friendliest staff hands down.  Generally the rates are a little bit higher and they aren't quite as available in some of the smaller cities.  If eating at the hotel bar/restaurant, always put it on your room and then itemize later.  Extra points.  Make sure you always register for the hotel promotions, extra points.  Link you hotel/airline accounts.  Marriott/United and SPG/Delta provide reciprocal status as well as additional benefits.

If anything ever goes wrong on a flight/hotel stay that isn't weather related or unavoidable by the staff.  Complain.  Always, always complain.  Easiest way to get more points and miles.

Wow. How long have you done this?  Do you even maintain a 'home'?  Did you ever meet John Candy on the road and did he sell you shower curtain rings?

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2015, 07:24:50 PM »
Wow. How long have you done this?  Do you even maintain a 'home'?  Did you ever meet John Candy on the road and did he sell you shower curtain rings?

Ha.  Yeah, I actually pay stupid rent in Manhattan while spending 2/3 of the year somewhere else.  I've been doing this since graduating really, almost 5 years now.

Unfortunately there have been no John Candy sightings.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2015, 07:53:18 PM »
Good thread... my $0.10

I'm a 200 night per year traveller.  I commute from a non-US country to my family in another country and keep a place in the states to "chill" whenever required.

Airlines:  DONT standardize.  Once I get platinum on one carrier, I switch to another.  Usually I can get platinum on 2 carriers per year to add to my lifetime platinum on American.  Plus, if you can be platinum on OneWorld with one airline, Star Alliance with another and Sky Team with yet another, you get the benefits with every airline except Emirates.

Airports:  They are different... pick and choose.  For example, when I go east/west, I use the middle eastern carriers, but never Emirates not because the airlines sucks (it does) but because the airport is terrible in Dubai.  I don't like 30 minute walks to my gate.  I use Qatar or Etihad.  If I need to go through S.E. Asia, Singapore airport is like heaven.  Bangkok is closer to hell.  In Tokyo, Haneda is  so much nicer than Narita. 

Hotels:  Same rule as airlines.  Once you've reached max status, or a good level (Marriott gold for example gets you what you need - free internet and breakfast, so Marriott Platinum is nothing special) then get status with another chain.

Credit Cards:  I use American/Citibank and Marriott/Chase.  Helps build up points quicker and gives status and lounge access.

Uber:  Love it.  Have used it in Perth, Sydney, Moscow, Amsterdam and Singapore in the last 6 weeks.  It's not cheap but it's good. 

Rental Cars:  Take photos before and after.  Many overseas rental car companies will hit you with damage charges just to make some extra cash.  I've been hit with this 10's of times... from Hertz and Avis mostly.  Photos always solve the problem.   It's a scam, but easily beatable.  Usually as soon as they know you have photos they drop any claim. 

Insurance:  I have a special insurance for "non-owned" vehicle, which means I can drive anything owned by anyone and I'm insured.  I also have a global exec insurance that covers extortion, kidnap, etc.  If you go to weird places you need this stuff.  Don't assume your company is going to look after you.

Cities:  Jog them in the morning looking for places to try in the evening.  I jog at 5am.  Rule 1 is that if people are still spilling out of the place at 5am I'm not going there in the evening!

Biz class:  I made a decision about 7 years ago to fly only business class.  At my own expense when the company won't pay.  My view = Sanity is worth the $15k/year extra it costs.  There's a lot of good cheap business class out there if you look.  Plus, I used to get sick all the time from flying economy... now I rarely catch anything.

On board:  Earbuds (smaller than over the ear and still noise canceling, plus you can sleep on your side), Qatar airlines eye shade, and pajamas for long flights.  Compression socks for anything over 5 hours.  (and I'm not old) 

Alcohol:  Only when leaving India on the midnight flights.  A bottle of water is a must for every flight. 

Luggage:  Never check bags.  I can go up to 2 weeks with the maximum legal size carry-on and hotels with good laundry service.  I plan my laundry days and pack accordingly.  It's tough when going north/south and packing for summer and winter but I still make it work. 

"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2015, 08:31:40 PM »
Airlines:  DONT standardize.  Once I get platinum on one carrier, I switch to another.  Usually I can get platinum on 2 carriers per year to add to my lifetime platinum on American.  Plus, if you can be platinum on OneWorld with one airline, Star Alliance with another and Sky Team with yet another, you get the benefits with every airline except Emirates.

This really depends on what type of travel you do.  Sounds like you do a lot of international travel, so you can pull it off.  For example, I do quite a bit of travel, but usually shorter domestic flights, so sticking to United for me and I barely make Platinum in the year.

Airports:  They are different... pick and choose.  For example, when I go east/west, I use the middle eastern carriers, but never Emirates not because the airlines sucks (it does) but because the airport is terrible in Dubai.  I don't like 30 minute walks to my gate.  I use Qatar or Etihad.  If I need to go through S.E. Asia, Singapore airport is like heaven.  Bangkok is closer to hell.  In Tokyo, Haneda is  so much nicer than Narita. 

One point I'll bring up regarding airports, is they will have a big impact on the airline you choose and stick with.  Example, Dallas and Miami would be American, Denver or Houston would be United.  Cities like NY, DC, Chicago can be multiple different airlines as they are very busy.

Hotels:  Same rule as airlines.  Once you've reached max status, or a good level (Marriott gold for example gets you what you need - free internet and breakfast, so Marriott Platinum is nothing special) then get status with another chain.

Hotels are the easiest to standardize.  Especially since most hotel chains offer a status challenge.  I try every year to make top levels in SPG and Hyatt and if I have the opportunity to, will go for Marriott as well.  SPG offers a Platinum challenge if you stay with them 18 nights over a 90 night window.  Hyatt does the same thing for 12 nights over a 60 night window, but you must prove that you already have top status elsewhere.  One year my travel wasn't quite as heavy so I made Marriott platinum on regular nights, then SPG platinum on the challenge, then Hyatt diamond on the challenge.  To me personally, Hyatt and SPG top status are better than Marriott as they offer suite upgrades you can use and you are more likely to be upgraded to nicer rooms than when staying with Marriott.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2015, 04:27:48 AM »
did you upgrade your luggage for business travel, or roll a Brooks Brothers suit into that thing?

In my suit wearing days it was Boss and Armani. The helmet bag should easily secure one suit. There are two pockets outside which are ideal for Allen Edmonds footwear. There are two internal pockets for Kent & Curwen neck ties. No need for a dress shirt - bare chested always makes a statement, especially with repp neckwear.

Death on call

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2015, 08:58:03 AM »

And be nice to the flight crew. They have to work while I sit.

Not only second this but take it a step further if you are traveling on a predictable schedule (Mon out, Fri home, same city) and learn the names of the flight crew and hotel personnel.  Their shifts/schedules usually last a month and the little extra nice is usually repaid.  Can't tell you the number of free drinks plus some comped rooms, club VIP hookups, etc.

On the check vs carry on, unless it's first flight out or last flight in, i usually check.  i'm admittedly not a good packer and have never figured out how to pack running shoes and running clothes in a carry on without grossing everything else up.

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2015, 11:33:52 AM »
Not only second this but take it a step further if you are traveling on a predictable schedule (Mon out, Fri home, same city) and learn the names of the flight crew and hotel personnel.  Their shifts/schedules usually last a month and the little extra nice is usually repaid.  Can't tell you the number of free drinks plus some comped rooms, club VIP hookups, etc.

On the check vs carry on, unless it's first flight out or last flight in, i usually check.  i'm admittedly not a good packer and have never figured out how to pack running shoes and running clothes in a carry on without grossing everything else up.
Without knowledge of exactly what you're packing for, I'll just say I've gotten way more efficient with a B&R carry-on with built-in suiter and two shoe bags to keep dirt/etc off my clothing.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2015, 11:38:23 AM »
never figured out how to pack running shoes and running clothes in a carry on without grossing everything else up.

Take a back pack in addition to the carry on. Patagonia makes gear that won't soak up the stink.

Death on call

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2015, 11:21:48 AM »
Take a back pack in addition to the carry on. Patagonia makes gear that won't soak up the stink.

one thing I don't get about backpacks is how many guys on suits I'll see wearing these things for a flight. Doesn't that wrench your suit jacket?

Might be awesome and functional but looks like you're a little kid visiting dad at work.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2015, 11:28:35 AM »
one thing I don't get about backpacks is how many guys on suits I'll see wearing these things for a flight. Doesn't that wrench your suit jacket?

Might be awesome and functional but looks like you're a little kid visiting dad at work.

It doesn't wrench my suit jacket.  I do probably look a little odd, but it simply fits more than a computer shoulder bag. 

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2015, 11:42:38 AM »
The thing I dislike about backpacks are the guys that board flights and dont realize the backpack and the straps on it are extensions to themselves.

I can't count how many times I've been sitting in an aisle seat and have been whacked in the face with a backpack or its strap by some guy turning around to talk to the person behind them, put other bag in the overhead, etc.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2015, 12:08:57 PM »
Doesn't that wrench your suit jacket?

Suits?? There are no suits in Seattle!

Death on call

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2015, 12:32:22 PM »
The thing I dislike about backpacks are the guys that board flights and dont realize the backpack and the straps on it are extensions to themselves.

I can't count how many times I've been sitting in an aisle seat and have been whacked in the face with a backpack or its strap by some guy turning around to talk to the person behind them, put other bag in the overhead, etc.

Ditto!  One of my pet peeves on an airplane is these oblivious morons. Happens virtually on every flight I take. But if my Tumi wasn't 25 years old and didn't wash up like new I would be rolling with one myself. I would take it off before boarding the plane , though

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2015, 02:30:08 PM »
  Ditto!  One of my pet peeves on an airplane is these oblivious morons. Happens virtually on every flight I take. But if my Tumi wasn't 25 years old and didn't wash up like new I would be rolling with one myself. I would take it off before boarding the plane , though

Oh yeah, I have nothing wrong with backpacks.  It just seems more often than not, those that continue to wear them while boarding completely forget that they are wearing them, and then smack people in the face while turning about.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2015, 03:13:35 PM »
Oh yeah, I have nothing wrong with backpacks.  It just seems more often than not, those that continue to wear them while boarding completely forget that they are wearing them, and then smack people in the face while turning about.
In my experience that is not limited to backpacks.  Purses, computer bags, suitcases, etc.

Of course, I am tall so if I can't get a seat in the Exit Row, I always sit in the aisle so I can stretch out at least one leg.  Maybe I just protrude out into the aisle too much.

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2015, 03:30:46 PM »

It doesn't wrench my suit jacket.  I do probably look a little odd, but it simply fits more than a computer shoulder bag. 
meant to say wreck... Seriously no impact by having a full carryon's weight on your suit shoulders?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2015, 03:32:03 PM »
meant to say wreck... Seriously no impact by having a full carryon's weight on your suit shoulders?

No.  I usually don't wear a suit jacket on the plane though.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2015, 04:49:51 PM »
In my experience that is not limited to backpacks.  Purses, computer bags, suitcases, etc.

Of course, I am tall so if I can't get a seat in the Exit Row, I always sit in the aisle so I can stretch out at least one leg.  Maybe I just protrude out into the aisle too much.

Yeah, you are right.  Its not just limited to backpacks.  It seems like when people travel, they lose all sense of surroundings.  I just find backpacks to generally be the worst.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2015, 04:52:12 PM »
Whew! I am glad I am retired.