[Today at 06:30:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: TJ Taylor Update  (Read 2562 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
TJ Taylor Update
« on: April 25, 2015, 05:50:16 PM »
Basketball: UNT’s Taylor opts not to pursue redshirt
By Brett Vito, Staff Writer
bvito@dentonrc.com

Former North Texas guard T.J. Taylor, right, looks for a chance to pass away from Charlotte freshman guard Keyshawn Woods on Feb. 26 at the Super Pit in Denton.

T.J. Taylor’s once-promising college basketball career has come to an end.

The former Denison standout, who spent time at four colleges, including the last three seasons at North Texas, has decided to abandon an appeal to the NCAA for an additional season of eligibility based on his injury history.

UNT coach Tony Benford confirmed late Thursday night Taylor has elected to pursue a pro career and would not try to return for another season with the Mean Green.

The 6-3 guard battled injuries throughout his career that began at Oklahoma and included stops at Paris Junior College and Marquette before he landed at UNT. Taylor suffered a concussion at OU and underwent shoulder and knee surgery during his time at UNT.

“T.J. is a great kid who never reached his potential because of injuries,” Benford said. “He showed flashes last year. We won five in a row when he was healthy.”

Taylor averaged 8.4 points and 3.3 rebounds a game last season. He played two seasons at UNT and spent his first year with the Mean Green in 2012-13 as a redshirt.

Benford said Taylor is on track to graduate this spring. Taylor declined through a UNT spokesman to comment on his time with the Mean Green until after graduation.

Taylor missed four games and started 20 while playing out of position in his final season with the Mean Green.

UNT hoped point guard J-Mychal Reese would be declared eligible last season, his first with the Mean Green after transferring from Texas A&M.

UNT was forced to shift Taylor from his natural shooting guard spot to the point when the NCAA denied Reese’s appeal for immediate eligibility with the Mean Green and the rest of the team’s point guards struggled.

Taylor performed well after taking on the role, handing out 62 assists for the Mean Green, who finished 14-17 and lost to Rice in the opening round of the Conference USA tournament. The season capped Taylor’s college career, in which he struggled to find the right fit on the Division I level.

Taylor began his career at Oklahoma, but left the school after suffering a concussion during preseason practice. He landed at Paris JC, where he excelled and earned third-team All-American honors in 2011-12.

Taylor then committed to Marquette and spent eight weeks there before leaving and landing at UNT. He sat out his first season at UNT as a transfer and had shoulder surgery.

Taylor’s health problems continued last fall when he had knee surgery that slowed him early in his senior year.

Despite his injury history, Taylor said late in the season that he is holding out hope that he can continue his basketball career on the professional level.

“T.J. could play professionally if he can get healthy,” Benford said.

Taylor first flashed his potential at Denison, where he scored a school record 2,630 points for the Yellow Jackets and established himself as a top-100 prospect in the class of 2010.

“Everyone has their point where they peak,” Taylor said late last season. “I don’t feel like I have reached my peak yet because of all of the setbacks. I am working on putting days together and being more consistent. Hopefully I will get there one day.”

Taylor’s departure will leave UNT without three of its top five scorers from last season.

Third-team All-C-USA selection Jordan Williams, UNT’s starting small forward and leading scorer at 14.7 points a game, was a senior last season. Forward Colin Voss, who averaged 8.8 points, was also a senior.

Sophomore forward Jeremy Combs (10 points a game) and senior shooting guard Maurice Aniefiok (8.5 points a game) will be UNT’s top returning players.

Benford said he feels comfortable with what UNT will have in terms of perimeter players next season with Reese, Aniefiok, DeAndre Harris and a host of newcomers. Carrington Ward will be available after missing all but the first four games of last season due to a foot injury. UNT also added Angelina College shooting guard Deckie Johnson and Orlando West Oaks Academy product Allante Holston.

UNT has one scholarship remaining and will look add at least one post player to complement incoming 7-foot center Rickey Brice of Arlington Pantego Christian and round out what Benford believes will be a solid group even without Taylor.

“This will be the most athletic team I’ve had since I’ve been here,” Benford said.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: TJ Taylor Update
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 02:08:03 PM »
Basketball: UNT’s Taylor opts not to pursue redshirt
By Brett Vito, Staff Writer
bvito@dentonrc.com

Former North Texas guard T.J. Taylor, right, looks for a chance to pass away from Charlotte freshman guard Keyshawn Woods on Feb. 26 at the Super Pit in Denton.

T.J. Taylor’s once-promising college basketball career has come to an end.

The former Denison standout, who spent time at four colleges, including the last three seasons at North Texas, has decided to abandon an appeal to the NCAA for an additional season of eligibility based on his injury history.

UNT coach Tony Benford confirmed late Thursday night Taylor has elected to pursue a pro career and would not try to return for another season with the Mean Green.

The 6-3 guard battled injuries throughout his career that began at Oklahoma and included stops at Paris Junior College and Marquette before he landed at UNT. Taylor suffered a concussion at OU and underwent shoulder and knee surgery during his time at UNT.

“T.J. is a great kid who never reached his potential because of injuries,” Benford said. “He showed flashes last year. We won five in a row when he was healthy.”

Taylor averaged 8.4 points and 3.3 rebounds a game last season. He played two seasons at UNT and spent his first year with the Mean Green in 2012-13 as a redshirt.

Benford said Taylor is on track to graduate this spring. Taylor declined through a UNT spokesman to comment on his time with the Mean Green until after graduation.

Taylor missed four games and started 20 while playing out of position in his final season with the Mean Green.

UNT hoped point guard J-Mychal Reese would be declared eligible last season, his first with the Mean Green after transferring from Texas A&M.

UNT was forced to shift Taylor from his natural shooting guard spot to the point when the NCAA denied Reese’s appeal for immediate eligibility with the Mean Green and the rest of the team’s point guards struggled.

Taylor performed well after taking on the role, handing out 62 assists for the Mean Green, who finished 14-17 and lost to Rice in the opening round of the Conference USA tournament. The season capped Taylor’s college career, in which he struggled to find the right fit on the Division I level.

Taylor began his career at Oklahoma, but left the school after suffering a concussion during preseason practice. He landed at Paris JC, where he excelled and earned third-team All-American honors in 2011-12.

Taylor then committed to Marquette and spent eight weeks there before leaving and landing at UNT. He sat out his first season at UNT as a transfer and had shoulder surgery.

Taylor’s health problems continued last fall when he had knee surgery that slowed him early in his senior year.

Despite his injury history, Taylor said late in the season that he is holding out hope that he can continue his basketball career on the professional level.

“T.J. could play professionally if he can get healthy,” Benford said.

Taylor first flashed his potential at Denison, where he scored a school record 2,630 points for the Yellow Jackets and established himself as a top-100 prospect in the class of 2010.

“Everyone has their point where they peak,” Taylor said late last season. “I don’t feel like I have reached my peak yet because of all of the setbacks. I am working on putting days together and being more consistent. Hopefully I will get there one day.”

Taylor’s departure will leave UNT without three of its top five scorers from last season.

Third-team All-C-USA selection Jordan Williams, UNT’s starting small forward and leading scorer at 14.7 points a game, was a senior last season. Forward Colin Voss, who averaged 8.8 points, was also a senior.

Sophomore forward Jeremy Combs (10 points a game) and senior shooting guard Maurice Aniefiok (8.5 points a game) will be UNT’s top returning players.

Benford said he feels comfortable with what UNT will have in terms of perimeter players next season with Reese, Aniefiok, DeAndre Harris and a host of newcomers. Carrington Ward will be available after missing all but the first four games of last season due to a foot injury. UNT also added Angelina College shooting guard Deckie Johnson and Orlando West Oaks Academy product Allante Holston.

UNT has one scholarship remaining and will look add at least one post player to complement incoming 7-foot center Rickey Brice of Arlington Pantego Christian and round out what Benford believes will be a solid group even without Taylor.

“This will be the most athletic team I’ve had since I’ve been here,” Benford said.
Wish him good health. I think if he can stay healthy he will surprise some people.  Also nice to see Benford doing well.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire