[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why I'm Concerned About Wojo/Coaching Staff  (Read 47066 times)

BallBoy

• All American
Re: Why I'm Concerned About Wojo/Coaching Staff
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2015, 09:51:39 PM »
So MU is too good to find grad transfers?

Did anyone say that?  No.  I don't get where you come up with these conclusions but I shouldn't be surprised.  In many cases it is the opposite.

MU has scouted or watched a good number of the available grad transfer.  They reach out to all of the ones that they feel are a fit. What makes a fit?  Position. Skill set. Grades. Etc.

Some of the players are going to say they don't have any interest. Why?  Playing time, league, exposure, dream schools, etc.

The players that we currently know there was mutual interest were Lee and Miller.  The players decided that other places were better fits. So be it.

If there are no other players on the list that leaves one of two options as to why

1.  Wojo and staff aren't interest
2.  The player isn't interested

Of the pool of people that you say Wojo should get would have to fall in group one.  Therefore we need to break up that group by skillset
1.  Have the necessary skills
2.  Don't.

If there was mutual interest then MU would be still working those channels and the player would not fit into the groups above.

I am assuming if Wojo and staff don't think the player has the skills then you would advocate not wasting time on them unless Wojo and staff misjudged their talent. Do you know of any grad transfer that Wojo and staff did not pursue but has an MU interest and the necessary skills?  Didn't think so. This is the only category that you can express concern over so what leads you to believe there is a concern?

Of the players that don't have the necessary skills...well who cares because they don't address your concerns regarding carrying the team. Are they going to make the team better? No. Are they going to get us into the NCAA if the team gets hurt? No. Could they make the team worse? Yes so why take them.

MU should only get players that make the team stronger. Unless you know of a player that had a MU interest, had the skills and MU said not interested then you have nothing to be concerned with.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2015, 10:35:48 PM »
Ok, another insider heard from ... hope you don't have the same sources than Big Daddy.

Big Daddy's sources are fine. You just choose to interpret them as #donedeal

All I want is Wojo to fill out the roster.   

Then say that. Don't spend seven pages implying the coaching staff has no idea what they are doing and calling out another poster who decided to share some information with the board. Again, look at your choice in thread titles. You started this thread off an a terrible foot.

Sultan is correct, this thread has been stupid for pages as it seems no one reads what I write because they are too busy calling me an idiot and that I'm wrong .... and then just repeat everything I just wrote in their own words.

Have you ever heard the phrase, if you can't spot the crazy person on the bus, you are the crazy person on the bus? I don't mean that in a sense that you are literally crazy, but you have spent seven pages telling everyone else that they are "misreading you", "are mistaken", and "actually would agree with you if they just read what you wrote correctly." Have you ever stopped and thought, "maybe the reason no one seems to understand me and is reacting very negatively to my idea is because I am communicating it very poorly?"

If what you have been trying to convey in this thread is "I hope Wojo fills out the roster" than you have failed. I did not get that at all. And it seems that no one else here did either. What I got was "the sky is falling", "Wojo sucks at his job", "Marquette was a safety school", and "BigDaddy sucks".
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2015, 11:18:19 PM »
Have you ever heard the phrase, if you can't spot the crazy person on the bus, you are the crazy person on the bus? I don't mean that in a sense that you are literally crazy, but you have spent seven pages telling everyone else that they are "misreading you", "are mistaken", and "actually would agree with you if they just read what you wrote correctly." Have you ever stopped and thought, "maybe the reason no one seems to understand me and is reacting very negatively to my idea is because I am communicating it very poorly?"

Buzz, is that you????

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #153 on: May 05, 2015, 08:50:34 AM »
6 pages of us debating Heisenberg idiocy against BigDaddy's history of valuable posts.

Heisenberg won.
So Heisy won? And Big Daddy has a history of valuable posts? And Ners was wrong? All of those deserve to ne in the tourney!! And the one that was definitely slighted "I'll be at MU as long as they want me". Is there no justice in the world?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #154 on: May 05, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
OK, let me see if I can summarize seven almost silly takes about concern over the coaching staff:

1) We pursued fifth year seniors to fill out our roster. Two were very highly sought after and openly said Marquette was on their "consideration" list.

2) We have neither.

3) We have 10 persons on a young, highly rated roster going into 2015-2016. If we bank or don't fill scholarships, we are three persons short.

4) What if the sky falls and Henry and Luke aren't ready? What if we have injuries or flu or mono or if somebody transfers?

5) Does Coach Wojo appreciate the potentially dire consequences of this?

Even Heisenberg would have to agree with this summary, I think.

Let me conclude this way. Coach Wojo coached with Coach K for nearly 20 years. I'm guessing he's aware of the importance of a full roster. I'm also guessing he's more aware of Henry and Luke's condition than anyone on this Board. And, I'm betting that Big Daddy notwithstanding, Coach Wojo was very aware of the possibility of losing the battle for Messrs. Miller and Lee and has something in his mind as an alternative.

Let's remember that we're in the national conversation again because of Coach Wojo's recruiting. We still have some mountains to climb but I'm betting 2015-2016 will be a lot more interesting and far more productive than 2014-2015.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #155 on: May 05, 2015, 09:09:28 AM »
Ok, another insider heard from ... hope you don't have the same sources than Big Daddy.

All I want is Wojo to fill out the roster.   

Sultan is correct, this thread has been stupid for pages as it seems no one reads what I write because they are too busy calling me an idiot and that I'm wrong .... and then just repeat everything I just wrote in their own words.

First, nobody agrees with you. Nobody is repeating what you keep saying.  Not one person in the entire thread agreed with your point of view that being last in a sequence of visits is evidence that you're the safety school and Wojo was wrong in recruiting them. 

Most non-idiots can see that there are advantages and disadvantages with being both early and late in the recruiting process.

If you're first, you get the first chance to get an early commitment and lock everyone else out. But if you don't get the commit, you have the disadvantage of the most distant memory when the decision time comes, plus all your competitors now know what they have to do to beat you--the first visit sets the bar.

On the other hand,  if you're last, you get the chance to make the final pitch.  You can frame your offer in comparison to what the recruit likes and doesn't like about each and every other visit.  You have the strongest case for getting the commitment on campus, because after all, the kid has already visited everyone else, and there is no excuse that he has to visit another school.  Last is a very strong position.  On the other hand, you run the risk that some other program closes the deal before the recruit gets to you.

You simply can't read anything into the sequence of visits--no less your repeated conclusion that Wojo has a poor read on recruits because we were scheduled last in the sequence.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #156 on: May 05, 2015, 09:20:30 AM »

Have you ever heard the phrase, if you can't spot the crazy person on the bus, you are the crazy person on the bus?

If you can't spot the fish after 20 minutes in a card game you're the fish.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #157 on: May 05, 2015, 09:30:07 AM »
If you're first, you get the first chance to get an early commitment and lock everyone else out. But if you don't get the commit, you have the disadvantage of the most distant memory when the decision time comes, plus all your competitors now know what they have to do to beat you--the first visit sets the bar.

On the other hand,  if you're last, you get the chance to make the final pitch.  You can frame your offer in comparison to what the recruit likes and doesn't like about each and every other visit.  You have the strongest case for getting the commitment on campus, because after all, the kid has already visited everyone else, and there is no excuse that he has to visit another school.  Last is a very strong position.  On the other hand, you run the risk that some other program closes the deal before the recruit gets to you.

Whenever I am pitching to a prospective client, I want to be first or last. First allows me to frame the debate. Last, as you note, allows me to react to everything else and saves me the trouble of educating a target as part of my pitch. If you have an attentive audience and you're last, you've probably won.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #158 on: May 05, 2015, 09:35:44 AM »
First, nobody agrees with you. Nobody is repeating what you keep saying.  Not one person in the entire thread agreed with your point of view that being last in a sequence of visits is evidence that you're the safety school and Wojo was wrong in recruiting them. 

Here is the problem I have with this statement ... I've been here for almost 8 years and whenever a consensus agrees on something, it is almost always wrong.  That is why I keep asking the mods to start a stock market forum, I can get rich just doing the opposite of what is said around here.

So, if I'm supposed to hide in the corner because no one agrees with me, it has quite the opposite effect.  Further, go read the earlier pages, plenty agreed with my idea that the coaching staff misjudged Miller/Lee and FEAR they lost valuable time in going after other grad transfers.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #159 on: May 05, 2015, 09:51:53 AM »
Mods, please lock this thread.  It's nothing more than a scoop gang bang at this point.  (Scoop Gang Bang: when one poster chooses a position and a large number of other posters come at them from a variety of angles; the original poster stays in the same position and as other scoopers read the thread they decide to join in)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #160 on: May 05, 2015, 09:55:21 AM »
Can't think of anythin' more fun, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2015, 09:55:57 AM »
Mods, please lock this thread.  It's nothing more than a scoop gang bang at this point.  (Scoop Gang Bang: when one poster chooses a position and a large number of other posters come at them from a variety of angles; the original poster stays in the same position and as other scoopers read the thread they decide to join in)

Hey mu03eng...might this be an early candidate for the...

2016 Meme Watch?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #162 on: May 05, 2015, 10:57:43 AM »
Here is the problem I have with this statement ... I've been here for almost 8 years and whenever a consensus agrees on something, it is almost always wrong.  That is why I keep asking the mods to start a stock market forum, I can get rich just doing the opposite of what is said around here.

So, if I'm supposed to hide in the corner because no one agrees with me, it has quite the opposite effect.  Further, go read the earlier pages, plenty agreed with my idea that the coaching staff misjudged Miller/Lee and FEAR they lost valuable time in going after other grad transfers.

Please quote examples of both the "consensus is always wrong" and these posters agreeing with you.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #163 on: May 05, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »

Love it
TAMU

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #164 on: May 05, 2015, 12:06:12 PM »
Hey mu03eng...might this be an early candidate for the...

2016 Meme Watch?

shhhiiiiiizzzz I might find a way to break the current meme tournament to work it in.  That is some brilliant work by headband and I hope it survives to next year
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #165 on: May 05, 2015, 12:07:25 PM »

They say nature abhors a vacuum....maybe Scoop abhors not having a Scoop gang bang.  First it was Ners and Derrick now it's Wojo and Heisen "Clickbate" Burg
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #166 on: May 05, 2015, 12:16:52 PM »
I've been here for almost 8 years and whenever a consensus agrees on something, it is almost always wrong. 

... Unless I happen to be part of the consensus. Then it is always right!

Ah, what a wonderful thing it is to be me, glorious me!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GOO

• All American
« Reply #167 on: May 05, 2015, 01:01:36 PM »
The OP reminds me of a constitutional critic trying to figure out the "original intent" of the signors of the constitution, ignoring that our own bias will inevitably lead to a biased result. And ignoring that we don't have enough context or know how the few words were chosen, etc.  Limited info, a few words, let's not make big general statements or get all up in arms.    

You have to get out of your own way on this one.  And don't look for meaning where there is little or between the line meaning and then try to find meaning that fulfills your preconceived ideas.

My summary of this thread for the OP: BD's words are like the constitution, or, dare I say like a religious text... to be debated as to their true meaning and depth and how they inter-relate with reason, reality, and the text itself, etc.  To try to get deeper than the words were meant to be and for each individual to apply their own bias and preordained beliefs to the words to come to a conclusion.  

BD wrote a few comments that were much appreciated.  Let's not make them into some huge religious text with more depth and meaning than they were intended to convey.  Why read more into it than we are going after some guys, the staff feels good about it but there is a lot of known competition.  Heck, if I had a few bucks for each insider who said the staff felt great about a recruit our we wouldn't trade MU's position with anyone and then we didn't get the recruit.. I'd be eating lobster at Harbor House tonight.  

BD has to shake his head at the insanity. I await more words from above when BD is ready to bless us with more info.  However, I suspect that this thread has revealed that we are not ready to receive the trust or more info from BD.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 01:55:17 PM by GOO »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #168 on: May 05, 2015, 01:11:28 PM »
Good Lord, what are we going to complain about now that Derrick Wilson has graduated?

We have to complain about something. Yelping about the winter is so passe' in Wisconsin anyway. So, let's complain about Wojo!

feedback