[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Why I'm Concerned About Wojo/Coaching Staff  (Read 46739 times)

mattyv1908

• All American
Re: Why I'm Concerned About Wojo/Coaching Staff
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2015, 05:03:47 PM »
It's Heisenletmemakeadozenpostsdailywithattentiongrabbingsubjectlinesberg.  What did you guys really expect?
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2015, 05:31:14 PM »
What happened to Jordan Murphy,SF out of Texas? A 3-star with a MU offer. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2015, 06:04:41 PM »
MUWarrior69 ... see the post immediately above.  See how people tie themselves into knots and the lengths they do to say I'm making a mountain out of molehill.  All these people could get jobs in corporate or political communications telling you that obvious statements don't mean what they say.

Then go look at the "Program Update" post that Big Daddy started and tell me who said they were making a mountain out of molehill that Lee was coming to MU.  Quite the opposite they were breathlessly getting themselves worked into a frenzy. 

YOU are saying OTHERS tie themselves up into knots????

Unreal.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2015, 06:21:12 PM »
Heisenberg really doesn't understand what a plan is.  Here you go:

plan

noun
a detailed proposal for doing or achieving something.
"the UN peace plan"
synonyms:   procedure, scheme, strategy, idea, proposal, proposition, suggestion, action point; More
a scheme for the regular payment of contributions toward a pension, savings account, or insurance policy.
"a personal pension plan"
an intention or decision about what one is going to do.
"I have no plans to retire"
synonyms:   intention, aim, idea, intent, objective, object, goal, target, ambition
"her plan was to win a medal"
a detailed diagram, drawing, or program, in particular.
a fairly large-scale map of a town or district.
"a street plan"
a drawing or diagram made by projection on a horizontal plane, especially one showing the layout of a building or one floor of a building.
synonyms:   blueprint, drawing, diagram, sketch, layout; More
a diagram showing how something will be arranged.
"look at the seating plan"
verb
verb: plan; 3rd person present: plans; past tense: planned; past participle: planned; gerund or present participle: planning
decide on and arrange in advance.
"they were planning a trip to Egypt"
synonyms:   organize, arrange, work out, design, outline, map out, prepare, schedule, formulate, frame, develop, devise, concoct; More
design or make a plan of (something to be made or built).
"they were planning a garden"
synonyms:   design, draw up, sketch out, map out
"I'm planning a new garden"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2015, 12:45:23 AM »
You sure about this?  You wrote on the previous page they spent the last week recruiting HS players.  Additionally TAMU, another person that seems to have "inside" info, seems to be "throwing ideas on the wall" suggesting their is not plan.  Further TAMU disagrees with Big Daddy about the importance of JUCOs (BD says they are looking at JUCOs, TAMU says they are really not, save 2 or 3 guys at most)

That leaves us with two options.  Either they don't have a plan or all the "insiders" that post here really know nothing.

Finally, Big Daddy wrote Damien Lee is the #1 target and they do have a commitment for a visit in early May  That's a little more certain and why I found it so concerning.

Frankly, if BD never posted I would have given this a second thought.  It's BD post that got me asking.

Okay.  Big Daddy and TAMU and anyone else with inside information is clueless and making it all up.  Please ignore them and quit responding to them then.  Deal?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2015, 10:22:29 AM »
Big Daddy wrote ...

3) Damien Lee is the #1 target and they do have a commitment for a visit in early May, just not a date. They know exactly when he is visiting the other schools and like that they are the last one to be visited. There is a relationship between DL and one of the staff and  there is mutual interest and communication.  They expect that Lee will come for a visit..did not seem to be too concerned that he will commit before visiting.
4) Miller is #2 target and again there is mutual interest, but I got the impression that they actually feel better about Lee than Miller.

I'm not concerned that we lost DL.  I'm concerned how we lost him.  It is apparent that we were never really an option for him.  He did not come for a visit.  We were probably his safety school.

What is concerning is what BD said above.  The coaching staff had as their #1 target someone that wasn't a realistic option.  They were not concerned about him committing before he visits when they should have been concerned about exactly that.  Had he visited, considered and then picked something else it would have been better than what actually happened.  At least if he visited we were a serious option and not a safety school.

Similarly option #2 (Miller) was someone that was also not a realistic option.  Again we were merely a safety school and the coaching staff thought we were more than that.

Should we be concerned that the coaching staff is having a hard time gauging interest?  If so, does this matter?  Tell me where I'm wrong.

Wouldn't it be more concerning if they were NOT targeting Lee?

I mean, if MU never even mentioned him, never got mentioned for him, and Wojo didn't even try, wouldn't there be a thread titled:

"I'm concerned that Wojo doesn't think MU can land big time players" or something similar?

If you want to be "concerned", be concerned when MU is competing for recruits with Bradley, Southern Illinois, Drake, Chicago State, etc. THAT'S when you can start to be concerned.

Be concerned when they sign Kevin Menard. Be concerned when they sign Krunti Hester. Be concerned when they sign Yousef Mbao.

Don't be concerned when a kid opts for Louisville instead of MU.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2015, 10:24:45 AM »

I mean, if MU never even mentioned him, never got mentioned for him, and Wojo didn't even try, wouldn't there be a thread titled:

"I'm concerned that Wojo doesn't think MU can land big time players" or something similar?

If you want to be "concerned", be concerned when MU is competing for recruits with Bradley, Southern Illinois, Drake, Chicago State, etc. THAT'S when you can start to be concerned.

Be concerned when they sign Kevin Menard. Be concerned when they sign Krunti Hester. Be concerned when they sign Yousef Mbao.

Excellent point.  I was actually much more concerned about the Gabe Levin fiasco than the Lee or Miller recruitments.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2015, 10:32:35 AM »

Yes, exactly this.

Fact is, every major program (like 77 of them) inquired about Lee. MU was one of just five to get serious consideration.
That is not in the least bit concerning.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2015, 10:49:03 AM »
I'm concerned about the number of teenage boys they're following on Twitter.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2015, 11:09:24 AM »

https://mobile.twitter.com/WisBBYearbook/status/590269445555097600

I couldn't resist :)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2015, 12:23:33 PM »
Heisenberg, stop.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2015, 01:22:05 PM »
Quite the opposite ...

The guy with inside info said:

* Lee committed to coming on a visit.  He did not
* the coaches were unconcerned about him visiting other schools before MU.  They should have been
* list three different plans.  They did not make 8 days.

The thing that no one wants to come to grips with is most what BD wrote about recruiting was wrong and it only took 8 days to show it was wrong.  

Say you are an insider, get everything wrong ... you're "gold"

Point out the so-called insider gets it wrong ... you're the second coming of Ners
I am not sure why Big Daddy is considered a font of wisdom. Just another guy who has a small amount of access that puts his own spin on things.   Mr. Heisenberg is correct to point out the issues for discussion here.

My sense is that there is no cause for concern. Wojo is constantly recruiting and has as many irons in the fire as possible.

If you look closely at Lee, he has a Baltimore background and I am sure some of that was working in Wojo's favor. I give him credit for being in the mix. 

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

hashtagspecialdelivery

• Walk-On
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2015, 09:11:54 PM »
The last thing anyone should be worried about with regard to Wojo and coaching staff thus far is their recruiting ability.  Wojo has been the exact opposite of what I thought we'd be getting:  A very good bench coach, yet suspect recruiter.  Been lights out recruiting.  His coaching/personnel management last season left A LOT to be desired. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2015, 09:16:57 PM »
Can't judge Steve's coachin' one iota from what we saw last season. The cat had nothin', as in absolute zero, to work with. Wait on passin' judgement 'til he gets his own recruits on the court, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

hashtagspecialdelivery

• Walk-On
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2015, 09:28:49 PM »
Can't judge Steve's coachin' one iota from what we saw last season. The cat had nothin', as in absolute zero, to work with. Wait on passin' judgement 'til he gets his own recruits on the court, ai na?

Certainly fair.  Though I feel Wojo had a decent amount of talent to work with last season, just made bad playing time decisions/allocations.  It could also be said Buzz had virtually nothing to work with his 2nd year on the job and he guided us to an NCAA berth in the REAL Big East with the midgets and no player taller than 6'6" as I recall.  Yet that year certainly showed Buzz could coach - you knew if he could extract an NCAA birth out of that team, he'd be able to do really good things with his own talent later on down the line.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2015, 09:29:18 PM »

I'd say give all coaches 4 or 5 years to truly see what they can do, ai na?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2015, 10:03:02 PM »
The last thing anyone should be worried about with regard to Wojo and coaching staff thus far is their recruiting ability.  Wojo has been the exact opposite of what I thought we'd be getting:  A very good bench coach, yet suspect recruiter.  Been lights out recruiting.  His coaching/personnel management last season left A LOT to be desired. 

What should he have done differently?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2015, 10:14:30 PM »
Certainly fair.  Though I feel Wojo had a decent amount of talent to work with last season, just made bad playing time decisions/allocations.  It could also be said Buzz had virtually nothing to work with his 2nd year on the job and he guided us to an NCAA berth in the REAL Big East with the midgets and no player taller than 6'6" as I recall.  Yet that year certainly showed Buzz could coach - you knew if he could extract an NCAA birth out of that team, he'd be able to do really good things with his own talent later on down the line.

Perhaps you've forgotten that 4 NBA players, three actually drafted, two in the first round, Were on that team. Yes it was impressive but Zar was a man amongst boys, Jimmy showed us to expect great things from him, DJO was a great player from the get go.

People give that team so much credit to buzz but honestly I think we remember them based on preseason expectations rather than in retrospect
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 10:49:06 PM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2015, 10:35:58 PM »
Certainly fair.  Though I feel Wojo had a decent amount of talent to work with last season, just made bad playing time decisions/allocations.  It could also be said Buzz had virtually nothing to work with his 2nd year on the job and he guided us to an NCAA berth in the REAL Big East with the midgets and no player taller than 6'6" as I recall.  Yet that year certainly showed Buzz could coach - you knew if he could extract an NCAA birth out of that team, he'd be able to do really good things with his own talent later on down the line.
Butler NBA star,Hayward first round draft choice, Buycks finsihed this season on NBA team plus DJO is not a team that did not have talent. It lacked size and experience. Having said that I was not impressed with Wojo's coaching last year. However, he was a rookie coach and the players had to adjust to his style.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2015, 11:02:58 PM »

Welcome back Ners

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2015, 07:02:57 AM »
Let me see if I have this right:

1) We land a recruiting class that everyone in college basketball says is a Top 10 class -- maybe better.

2) We are in the running for some dude named Damion Lee who would fill a need. In effect, we're topping off a wonderful recruiting class with a big "get" if we get him.

3) Some dude named Big Daddy thinks it is a done deal and says so on Scoop, having 50 people yell "Amen."

4) Damion, who is a fifth year senior and has one year left, elects to go to a program at Loserville with a shot at a Sweet 16 or better next year.

5) All the while, we're an unproven group of freshmen and a sophomore coach who lost 19 games last year.

6) So we become chicken little because Damion goes elsewhere and we suddenly think our coach is Bob Dukiet risen from the dead?

Just want to make sure.

CHILL OUT PEOPLE!!!!!!!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2015, 07:33:47 AM »
Welcome back Ners

My first thought as well!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2015, 08:02:16 AM »
Let me see if I have this right:

1) We land a recruiting class that everyone in college basketball says is a Top 10 class -- maybe better.

2) We are in the running for some dude named Damion Lee who would fill a need. In effect, we're topping off a wonderful recruiting class with a big "get" if we get him.

3) Some dude named Big Daddy thinks it is a done deal and says so on Scoop, having 50 people yell "Amen."

4) Damion, who is a fifth year senior and has one year left, elects to go to a program at Loserville with a shot at a Sweet 16 or better next year.

5) All the while, we're an unproven group of freshmen and a sophomore coach who lost 19 games last year.

6) So we become chicken little because Damion goes elsewhere and we suddenly think our coach is Bob Dukiet risen from the dead?

Just want to make sure.

CHILL OUT PEOPLE!!!!!!!

Well you did not get it right.

Let me take it from the top again.

We have 10 players for next year.  Currently the star recruit has his hand in a cast and the starting center has his arm in a sling.  So we need bodies for next year.  That has to be the highest priority.

Big Daddy is generally recognized as someone that is close to the program. He goes to the banquet and says he talks to the coaches.  He lays out their thinking and plans on getting two of the most highly thought of graduate transfers.  He also details their level of confidence, which was pretty high.

The one thing you did get right is the 50 amens because of Bigg Daddy's reputation as an insider.

Then within 8 days after his post, all these details and plans blow up.  The grad transfers go elsewhere without ever visiting.  It looks like we were never really an option in the first place, or maybe a safety school.

I post I'm concerned that the coaches misjudged these possible recruits and were left starting all over.  I'm concerned that this misjudgment puts next season as risk, as one of the biggest determinants to next seasons sucess is going to be how the fill the three open schollies.  Let me say this differently, I would feel a lot better about next season if Burton, Taylor and Noskawiak were still on the roster.  Replacing them on NEXT YEAR's TEAM is critical.

I also suggest that maybe Big Daddy was just wrong about his assessment and it was not a reflection of what the coaches thought.

What followed was 4 pages of attacking me, defending a post with nothing right from Big Daddy and not addressing the issues of who is going to fill the final three spots.

Banking a schollie represents a failure and banking all three is a 3x failure.

In the subsequent days we have seen little to nothing about them getting more players for next year.  Doesn't mean they are not trying, just not seeing it.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2015, 08:55:42 AM »

Well you did not get it right.

Let me take it from the top again.

We have 10 players for next year.  Currently the star recruit has his hand in a cast and the starting center has his arm in a sling.  So we need bodies for next year.  That has to be the highest priority.

Big Daddy is generally recognized as someone that is close to the program. He goes to the banquet and says he talks to the coaches.  He lays out their thinking and plans on getting two of the most highly thought of graduate transfers.  He also details their level of confidence, which was pretty high.

The one thing you did get right is the 50 amens because of Bigg Daddy's reputation as an insider.

Then within 8 days after his post, all these details and plans blow up.  The grad transfers go elsewhere without ever visiting.  It looks like we were never really an option in the first place, or maybe a safety school.

I post I'm concerned that the coaches misjudged these possible recruits and were left starting all over.  I'm concerned that this misjudgment puts next season as risk, as one of the biggest determinants to next seasons sucess is going to be how the fill the three open schollies.  Let me say this differently, I would feel a lot better about next season if Burton, Taylor and Noskawiak were still on the roster.  Replacing them on NEXT YEAR's TEAM is critical.

I also suggest that maybe Big Daddy was just wrong about his assessment and it was not a reflection of what the coaches thought.

What followed was 4 pages of attacking me, defending a post with nothing right from Big Daddy and not addressing the issues of who is going to fill the final three spots.

Banking a schollie represents a failure and banking all three is a 3x failure.

In the subsequent days we have seen little to nothing about them getting more players for next year.  Doesn't mean they are not trying, just not seeing it.
Fairly accurate, except, I do not subscribe to the banking schollies is a failure theory. Yeah, I know, that is not the CW on this board, but if there are no quality players that would be a fit, then bank and concentrate for next year.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2015, 09:26:10 AM »
Fairly accurate, except, I do not subscribe to the banking schollies is a failure theory. Yeah, I know, that is not the CW on this board, but if there are no quality players that would be a fit, then bank and concentrate for next year.

Let me clarify banking schollies

Keeping one in case a Luke Fischer quality type mid-season transfer pops up is fine.

Regarding the other two.  Take a grad transfer.  They are a one year rental.  They will be better than walk-ons to fill out the roster.  Their is little to no downside in a one-year rental.

So banking two of the three instead of getting a grad transfer is a failure.