[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Why I'm Concerned About Wojo/Coaching Staff  (Read 46740 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Why I'm Concerned About Wojo/Coaching Staff
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:47:17 PM »
Big Daddy wrote ...

3) Damien Lee is the #1 target and they do have a commitment for a visit in early May, just not a date. They know exactly when he is visiting the other schools and like that they are the last one to be visited. There is a relationship between DL and one of the staff and  there is mutual interest and communication.  They expect that Lee will come for a visit..did not seem to be too concerned that he will commit before visiting.
4) Miller is #2 target and again there is mutual interest, but I got the impression that they actually feel better about Lee than Miller.

I'm not concerned that we lost DL.  I'm concerned how we lost him.  It is apparent that we were never really an option for him.  He did not come for a visit.  We were probably his safety school.

What is concerning is what BD said above.  The coaching staff had as their #1 target someone that wasn't a realistic option.  They were not concerned about him committing before he visits when they should have been concerned about exactly that.  Had he visited, considered and then picked something else it would have been better than what actually happened.  At least if he visited we were a serious option and not a safety school.

Similarly option #2 (Miller) was someone that was also not a realistic option.  Again we were merely a safety school and the coaching staff thought we were more than that.

Should we be concerned that the coaching staff is having a hard time gauging interest?  If so, does this matter?  Tell me where I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 08:13:17 AM by Heisenberg »

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Re: Why I'm Concenred About Wojo/Coaching Staff
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 10:04:07 PM »
I'm not concerned that you're concenred.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 10:04:20 PM »
I'm more concenred abuot your speliling.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 10:05:14 PM »
Beat me to it Vegas.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 10:09:30 PM »
Maybe he just fell in love with Louisville on his visit?
You are making assumptions without facts.

The staff did a pretty good job of "gauging interest" with Henry, Cheatham, and Carter.

Don't freak out because we missed out on a couple of players who had other great options.......it is going to happen again and again

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 10:18:55 PM »
All the experts say he's recruited one of the best classes in the nation, Why would that be cause for concern?

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 10:22:33 PM »
Get real, it was a crapshoot. Staff got our name in there and hoped for the best against some real competition. If you
have concerns look at what this all new staff did with Cheatham,Carter and Ellenson. All three of them had top choices
and picked us. One from Florida and the other from Philly, plus our first 5-star in forever. I'm amazed at the class they
put together.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 10:26:36 PM »
Big Daddy wrote ...

3) Damien Lee is the #1 target and they do have a commitment for a visit in early May, just not a date. They know exactly when he is visiting the other schools and like that they are the last one to be visited. There is a relationship between DL and one of the staff and  there is mutual interest and communication.  They expect that Lee will come for a visit..did not seem to be too concerned that he will commit before visiting.
4) Miller is #2 target and again there is mutual interest, but I got the impression that they actually feel better about Lee than Miller.

I'm not concerned that we lost DL.  I'm concerned how we lost him.  It is apparent that we were never really an option for him.  He did not come for a visit.  We were probably his safety school.

What is concerning is what BD said above.  The coaching staff had as their #1 target someone that wasn't a realistic option.  They were not concerned about him committing before he visits when they should have been concerned about exactly that.  Had he visited, considered and then picked something else it would have been better than what actually happened.  At least if he visited we were a serious option and not a safety school.

Similarly option #2 (Miller) was someone that was also not a realistic option.  Again we were merely a safety school and the coaching staff thought we were more than that.

Should we be concerned that the coaching staff is having a hard time gauging interest?  If so, does this matter?  Tell me where I'm wrong.

If I'm a Kentucky fan, I'm concerned that they had a commitment for a visit by Henry Ellenson but Cal couldn't even get him to campus before he signed with Marquette. I guess Kentucky was his safety school!

Hey, I know it's not the same thing ... I'm just funnin'.

But I'm not concerned we didn't get a visit out of Lee, and I'm very impressed with the recruiting work so far by Wojo and his assistants. Nobody gets all their targets. Not even Kentucky and Duke.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:28:13 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 10:32:09 PM »
IIRC, Damion was the first high priority target of Wojo's that he did not get.  His track record has been pretty darn remarkable, especially for a rookie head coach.

You can't win 'em all.
Have some patience, FFS.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 11:34:21 PM »
When have we ever beat Louisville out for a recruit?When Louisville is in the top 5 for a recruit, we are not going to get the recruit. Maybe Wojo will eventually change that, but that is the current realty. We do not bump into them as often, but we have same problem with Notre Dame.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 11:43:51 PM »
Maybe he just fell in love with Louisville on his visit?

It's tough to compete when you are offered Karen Stonecipher on the half shell for dessert.

Death on call

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 11:45:54 PM »
We don't like losing out on top recruits.  Wojo is in there with them, but we know how the top 5 feels when we lose out to one of the other 4.  But I'm not concerned.  Show us a coach who hits 1000.  I don't think so.  We will lose some, but importantly we will WIN some.  That is good.

Go Wojo and Go Marquette!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 11:47:52 PM »
R-E-L-A-X
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 12:48:57 AM »
Nobody is really addressing Heisenberg's point.

I think Heisenberg's point is that we should be alarmed that Wojo was so oblivious to the actual prospect of landing Lee.  According to Heisenberg, who reads Big Daddy as reading Wojo as saying that we had a really, really good shot at Lee.  However, the fact that he committed to Lville so quickly shows that, in actuality, we never had a shot at all.  Put another way, if MU actually had a real shot at Lee, he would not have committed to Lville so quickly.

FWIW, maybe it's a concern, but if it is, it is a very very small one, IMO.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 12:53:24 AM »
R-E-L-A-X

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7WZ33w3B8Hw?" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7WZ33w3B8Hw?</a>

Bro, just post this video from now on.  It's a classic.

ShootinOutWallsofHeartach

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 01:05:22 AM »
All the experts say he's recruited one of the best classes in the nation, Why would that be cause for concern?
Cue up the 1994 Travers Stakes, and I'll show you cause for CONCERN...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 05:18:42 AM »
Wojo finally misses out on targets he made high priorities and you are 'concenred'?    Chillax.       Lighten up, Francis.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 06:25:30 AM »
Nobody is really addressing Heisenberg's point.

I think Heisenberg's point is that we should be alarmed that Wojo was so oblivious to the actual prospect of landing Lee.  According to Heisenberg, who reads Big Daddy as reading Wojo as saying that we had a really, really good shot at Lee.  However, the fact that he committed to Lville so quickly shows that, in actuality, we never had a shot at all.  Put another way, if MU actually had a real shot at Lee, he would not have committed to Lville so quickly.

FWIW, maybe it's a concern, but if it is, it is a very very small one, IMO.

Even Big Daddy isn't in Wojo's head, so nobody knows if Wojo was "oblivious" to anything. He wanted Lee. He felt MU had a decent shot. He went for it. Lee chose Ville. Wojo moves on to the next guy. I don't see how this is any more oblivious than Izzo and Cal making a strong play for Ellenson.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 06:41:44 AM »
As of now, I wouldn't be too concerned.

On the other hand, there is some Big East precedence to this.  If you listen to some of Jay Wright's interviews circa 2012-13, he mentions having made the Final Four in 2009, and proceeding to think he was then able to recruit the most blue-chip of prospects.  Of course, that single Tourney run was not enough to consistently reign in 5-star guys, and Nova was left with 3-star guys (having been so focused on the top recruits, they failed to target the best REALISTIC options).

That said, I see where you're coming from, and considering WoJo's only experience is with Duke, maybe there is a reason for concern.  I'd say give it at least two years - if this pattern continues, then we'll have a problem.
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 06:54:43 AM »
The sense I get on Lee is that he planned to visit here, but was blown away on the Louisville visit. A Hall of Fame coach was able to sell him on a ton of playing time and a virtual guaranteed chance to play in March (9 straight tourney appearances). Lee clearly did his research and probably felt the idea of being the only senior on a team of mostly freshmen and sophomores (at Marquette) wasn't as certain a bet for success. His decision makes sense, it just sucks for us.

So did Wojo never have a shot? I doubt that. I do believe they got positive feedback from Lee's camp, which got them in this position in the first place. This is just another litmus test for a young staff. Will they still be able to land two grad transfers like they were hoping for or do they have a JUCO ready to commit? Or are they moving on to 2016/17, which is where efforts seemed to be this week?

Honestly, losing these battles in the long run should be a good thing. It will make sure the staff has contingencies and understands where they stand in the pecking order of college hoops. Hopefully they have a good backup plan or two in store.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 07:35:38 AM »
I don't see how this is any more oblivious than Izzo and Cal making a strong play for Ellenson.

Because Izzo and Cal actually made a strong play for HE.  We made no play at all for Lee.  

Let me try this, Big Daddy's post is what worries me.  BD is close to the program and they told him the staff had as their highest priority a kid that was never coming.  The coaches were not worried about him committing to another school before he scheduled a visit when he did exactly that.  The coaching staff was dead wrong because they completely misjudged the situation (I'm assuming what we all believe, that BD is connected to the program and has good info).

Had the coaches told BD that getting into Lee's top 5 represented the result of good work on their part, fine.  Had they said they were optimistic and had their fingers crossed, fine.  Had they told BD they were trying, fine.  No they said #1 option, which I take to mean at least 50/50.  They said not worried about committing early.  Those are the red flags I'm asking about.

Is their too much hope and not enough realism?

« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 07:39:10 AM by Heisenberg »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 07:37:16 AM »
Show us a coach who hits 1000. 

If a coach is batting 1,000, he's probably headed for the NCAA's Bruce Pearl Memorial Doghouse.

The only way you get that kind of batting average is with under the table cash. Lots of it.

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 07:54:31 AM »
the only thing i am concerned about is hoping that wojo had a plan after losing out on miller and lee

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 08:03:21 AM »
So did Wojo never have a shot? I doubt that. I do believe they got positive feedback from Lee's camp, which got them in this position in the first place. This is just another litmus test for a young staff. Will they still be able to land two grad transfers like they were hoping for or do they have a JUCO ready to commit? Or are they moving on to 2016/17, which is where efforts seemed to be this week?

the only thing i am concerned about is hoping that wojo had a plan after losing out on miller and lee

And this is another thing that has me concerned.  Big Daddy also said this ...

5) After that the top targets are two JUCO players.  Plan 1 is Lee and Miller, plan #2 is lee or miller and 1 JUco  plan 2 - two Jucos.  We are not heavily recruiting any other HS seniors.

BD wrote that 8 days ago (April 17).  So are we to believe that in just a week plan 1 is gone, plan 2 is gone. plan 3 (two jucos) is now gone and we are on to recruiting HS kids, which according to BD 8 days ago we not not heavily doing?

When you plan, that means one of these options is going to happen.  Plan 1 is supposed to be the most likely, #2 next most likely.  They were not goals, or ideals or scenarios, they were plans.

Again, what I'm assuming is BD accurately and correctly conveyed what the coaches are thinking.  Because if he did, I'm concerned that the coaches are busy making plans that are not happening.  Put bluntly, they are not sizing up situations properly.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 08:04:52 AM by Heisenberg »

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 08:16:22 AM »
Right now Marquette has 10 scholarship athletes with 7 either freshmen or sophomores and no seniors.  I can understand where a grad transfer would be apprehensive of joining a youthful team where he would not only have to try to fit in, but also become possibly the team leader.

I'm fine with going with these 10 players for next year, although I'd like to see an 11th player for depth and some experience.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

feedback