[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: domestic violence repercussions  (Read 11074 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: domestic violence repercussions
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2015, 07:59:45 PM »

Legally they should be treated the same.

But as for being reported by the media, they are completely different and should be treated as such.

Not sure I track that these are different stories that the media should be covering them differently.  Could you expand on that?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2015, 09:22:15 PM »
At first I thought it was a sincere attempt to discuss same-sex domestic violence, which is probably the appropriate discourse on this story, but then it just unraveled into full blown white male paranoia.

Why is is paranoia, be it from a male, white or Asian or whatever?  Why can't it simply be about equal treatment?  Is that asking too much?

Social justice!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2015, 05:31:46 AM »
How is it not equal treatment?    The treatment by the law enforcement has been equal.   The coverage by the mainstream media has been somewhat enhanced.    The only ones here trying to make it something more are you and the rocketman.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2015, 08:54:13 AM »
It's a knee jerk gotcha reaction.  It's a desire to hoist the left by the same petard that the left hoists the right with.

To be fair, if women athlete perpetrate domestic violence they should be treated exactly as men who do that.....but we don't know yet if they will so we're pre-loading the gun so to speak here.

yes to mu03eng, except for the "knee jerk reaction" part.  but i'm glad you asked lazer.  to make a short story long...WARNING-it is not the authors intent to politicize here on the superbar, but in order to illustrate his point, he may wander onto that side situationally only-he apologizes to anyone who is offended    

yes, i tend to be a little provocative at times, as most of us here are, but all i'm trying to do with this topic is point out the differences between how the liberal media covers topics that they hold "near and dear" compared to all the others.  as we are all human, we all have biases. for some journalists, they can become agendas.  well, journalists are supposed to be taught, "journalistic integrity" or professionalism. in the health field it's called, standards of care.  i'm talking about "main stream media"(nbc, cbs, abc, msnbc, cnn, fox) including most main stream newspapers(ny times, milw. journal, la times, chicago tribune, usa today, etc.) as opposed to media matters, breitbart, etc. in other words, the people who should or purport to have a professional vested interest in what is in OUR best interest. 

ok, ya still with me?  now,  being the analytical person i am, put this story side by side with say the fill-in-the-blank, guy on girl, guy on guy, guy on animal, girl on animal, guy on girl animal... story-wait, now i'm not comparing the violence between these, a guy should never hit a girl, animal or whatever, and vice versa, video or no video, etc.  just the story at face value-they are all WRONG.  no one should hit anyone, but just the story. there is a big imbalance in coverage. yes?  if no-you being dishonest.  it's a bigger story when big, mean football player, but not a small, meek, woman and, oh shoot, now the NOW people are pissed and we just opened another can-o-worms, but i digress.  everyone gets offended by something, but i digress again- sorry

now please follow me here. when the media has a bias, they will cover some stories for the story's sake, but bury it on page 15, below the fold, next to the obituaries.  other stories get 2 inch bold black headlines and then follow-up stories for days if not longer. some stories may contain inaccuracies, but don't get corrected for a week and those corrections are also buried deep into the paper somewhere.  also, juxtapose the tones, adjectives, etc. used in stories on the more polarizing issues.  ok, now my intentions were not to make this a political topic, as then i realize it belongs on the political thread.  so, sorry about the political undertones. but in order to try to make my point, i might have to dip my toe into a little politics here, but it's just to make my point-an excellent example is when the media covered the different people announcing their candidacy's for president-you could see and hear the pom-pons being used for one side and a more glib,  joyless, and dismal report for the other.  compare pictures of people used in their stories of people they like and then otherwise.  one, smiling, holding a baby...another speaking mid-sentence looking as if someone just shoved a baseball bat up their back-sides. look at the number of stories run on a subject or topic from one network compared to others. look at the same talking points being used from one network to another-listen to a montage sometime of cbs, nbc, abc, cnn, etc.  it's almost as if they were all in the same meeting together, or the black helicopter theory- as if they were getting their talking points from the white house(gasp).

ok, color me cynical, victim, over-reacting, whatever...that is kind of of where i was going with this topic.  sometimes i try to do it tongue-in-cheek, to lighten the tone, to have some fun, but yet, i realize i am also being biased and probably with my own agenda, but i'm not a journalist.  my intentions are not to offend as this board is about a civil exchange of ideas, without malice-i submit to ya'll the rest of my story  

haven't seen any demonstrations at the seattle reign fc's games yet once again, for those of you from rio linda, that's hope solo's soccer team, google it, except add domestic violence.  good day!

don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2015, 10:10:28 AM »
On two separate alarms this past week, I ran on domestic assaults.   One, the husband beat the crap out of the wife.   One, the wife thought the husband was cheating, hit him in the head with a cutting board and then went after him with a knife, though she did not inflict much damage.   Neither one made the paper.  Charges will probably never be filed or will be dropped after they are.  So, when I see a famous person, of any color, gender, orientation get gigged for a domestic assault, I chalk it up to the human condition and moments of weakness/passion/anger.    Yes, there are some true a$$holes out there, of any color/gender/orientation.   But I don't start judging until I see a pattern.     So, for me, I hope Ms. Griner and her partner can work this out.   If they can't, I hope they can move on amicably.   But I will not cast stones.   Sometimes, being in the public eye can suck.  Who would want their character flaws and weakest moments to be front page news?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 10:12:14 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2015, 11:11:33 AM »
Not sure I track that these are different stories that the media should be covering them differently.  Could you expand on that?

Sure.

Women are by and large the weaker sex and continues to be treated very poorly in many parts of the world.  Even in the United States, where we make large attempts to treat genders equally, we still have a problem with men using physical violence against women.  When we have celebrities who engage in that behavior, its a story.

Now when two same sex individuals engage in that behavior, it simply isn't the same story.  It is roughly like two guys getting in a bar fight. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2015, 11:23:10 AM »
To clarify a point, as soon as it happens a second time, my patient and tolerance and forgiveness disappear. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2015, 12:43:02 PM »

Sure.

Women are by and large the weaker sex and continues to be treated very poorly in many parts of the world.  Even in the United States, where we make large attempts to treat genders equally, we still have a problem with men using physical violence against women.  When we have celebrities who engage in that behavior, its a story.

Now when two same sex individuals engage in that behavior, it simply isn't the same story.  It is roughly like two guys getting in a bar fight.

Except that it's not two strangers in a bar getting into a fight.  We're talking about domestic partnership, civil unions, marriage partners....that's also what makes it different.  Tower is right that it can suck being in the public eye, but that has been the case for a long time.  Good with the bad.  Plenty of people in the public eye avoid beating their spouse \ partners up.   

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2015, 01:03:43 PM »

Sure.

Here is where I disagree with your assessment and part of the argument for the need to change the arc on these types of stories.  Domestic violence is about violence perpetrated by one party against another regardless of gender type.  There are men that suffer domestic violence at the hand of women.  Gender really shouldn't be apart of domestic violence, because it doesn't really have anything to do with gender, it has to do with one partner physically or emotionally damaging another partner in their own home.

You are right, far more men abuse women then vice versa but as long as we treat the situation unequally we won't reach a successful outcome IMO
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2015, 03:29:58 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/wnbas-griner-johnson-married-phoenix-ceremony-174224521--spt.html

Apparently, they worked it out.   .....and they all lived happily ever after.     Which leads to one of my favorite inappropriate jokes.    How do you stop gay people from having sex?    Let them get married. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2015, 12:02:37 PM »
They both got 7 game suspensions in the WNBA, which is rough equivalent of 3-4 NFL games.  I'm sure they'll appeal it down a bit and that will be that. 

FWIW, I'm probably ethically wrong but personally I agree with those who think there is a big difference between two similar athletes fighting and a strong professional athlete physically fighting with his wife and that any punishment should be disproportionately larger for the latter.

http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/12892398/phoenix-mercury-brittney-griner-tulsa-shock-glory-johnson-suspended-seven-games-domestic-incident
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2015, 12:36:44 PM »
They both got 7 game suspensions in the WNBA, which is rough equivalent of 3-4 NFL games.  I'm sure they'll appeal it down a bit and that will be that. 

FWIW, I'm probably ethically wrong but personally I agree with those who think there is a big difference between two similar athletes fighting and a strong professional athlete physically fighting with his wife and that any punishment should be disproportionately larger for the latter.

http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/12892398/phoenix-mercury-brittney-griner-tulsa-shock-glory-johnson-suspended-seven-games-domestic-incident

So are you also supportive of less charges for a wife who is 5'2" physically harming her 6'3" husband?  Maybe she just cuts him a little with a knife, but he's big enough and she's so small. (not trying to be glib, just illustrative)

Abuse is abuse, and IMHO the more we obfuscate and put conditions around what it is and who can or can't commit it the more we allow it to happen.  I think we have to have zero tolerance regardless of whom is perpetrating it on whom.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2015, 12:50:21 PM »
So are you also supportive of less charges for a wife who is 5'2" physically harming her 6'3" husband?  Maybe she just cuts him a little with a knife, but he's big enough and she's so small. (not trying to be glib, just illustrative)

Abuse is abuse, and IMHO the more we obfuscate and put conditions around what it is and who can or can't commit it the more we allow it to happen.  I think we have to have zero tolerance regardless of whom is perpetrating it on whom.

No, I'm saying that this particular fight between two roughly equivalent partners is not as bad a someone like Ray Rice cold-cocking his wife and that the latter should be dealt with much more severely.  A fist fight betweens equals doesn't even qualify as abuse to me.  Every situation is different and I don't think a one-size fits all rule is the right answer.  I understand the expedient necessity of hard and fast laws, but often things that are superficially the same are not really the same.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

brandx

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2015, 11:33:59 AM »
Ray McDonald arrested again on domestic violence charges. No way the Bears could have seen this one coming.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2015, 01:25:09 PM »
Ray McDonald arrested again on domestic violence charges. No way the Bears could have seen this one coming.

his $1.05 million was not guaranteed-smartest move the bears have made since they drafted gayle sayers-heynie?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2015, 12:12:37 PM »
greg hardy got beach slapped by the nfl- hard and rightly so.  but what about women?  shouldn't there be punishment for say, women who beat up there, umm, wife/husbands/partners??  let's call it the war of women?  i am waiting for the wnba to issue their version of a reprimand.  but should all those fans who have her jersey burn 'em up?  protests?  yeah right-wait for it......nothing to see here-move along

https://www.autostraddle.com/glory-johnson-and-brittney-griner-arrested-charged-with-assault-and-disorderly-conduct-287408/

Now the pregnancy, and the annulment.   

http://deadspin.com/brittney-griner-files-annulment-papers-day-after-wife-a-1709523775

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2015, 03:31:20 PM »
not only cheating on her, but lubed up by the enemy nonetheless  :-[