[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Who does Wojo target now?  (Read 23017 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Who does Wojo target now?
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2015, 04:58:47 PM »
Despite what Big Daddy said, I am not sure that Marquette is going to be going much after Jucos unless their academics are good and are are well coordinated with MU's course offerings.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2015, 05:03:05 PM »
Next post is 17k, Sultan.   Only Chicos has more.   Make it count. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2015, 05:16:07 PM »
Despite what Big Daddy said, I am not sure that Marquette is going to be going much after Jucos unless their academics are good and are are well coordinated with MU's course offerings.

Agreed. Maurice O'Field was different because he was a full qualifier with three years left. That said, Outlaw was also a full qualifier out of high school.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2015, 05:39:14 PM »

Have heard the same thing. I think only three year jucos will even be an option going forward.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2015, 05:42:01 PM »
Missing on Lee obviously hurt. There are still some good grad transfers out there. Some names I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread:

Derrick Gordon: 6"3 205 SG from UMass
Sterling Smith: 6"4 200 SG from Coppin State
Shawn Smith: 6"6 28 SF from Marshall
Lonnie Jackson: 6"3 173 SG from Boston College
TAMU

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2015, 07:56:08 PM »
Wojo said last year that he would not just take bodies to fill empty scholarships. I think at this point he should just save them unless he can get a one year player. Filling the open positions would be an indication that Wojo's 2016 recruiting is not going well. Besides that with the ten scholarship players we have three walk ons. The twins and Marotta's son, so we have enough players to practice.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2015, 08:02:24 PM »
*dreams* Jamal Murray
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2015, 09:42:03 PM »
Wojo said last year that he would not just take bodies to fill empty scholarships. I think at this point he should just save them unless he can get a one year player. Filling the open positions would be an indication that Wojo's 2016 recruiting is not going well. Besides that with the ten scholarship players we have three walk ons. The twins and Marotta's son, so we have enough players to practice.

Hopefully he learned his lesson from last year that self-imposing scholarship penalties on the program for nothing other than failure to recruit a full roster is foolish.  When one scholarship player transfers and two get hurt we're playing with seven again.  Three at this point won't happen, but two is a must.  Filling the open spots says nothing about his 2016 recruiting; it says he knows the reality of roster turnover and isn't naive to think he will become immune to it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2015, 10:41:05 PM »
Missing on Lee obviously hurt. There are still some good grad transfers out there. Some names I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread:

Looks like it's time to change my screen name to Smith82!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2015, 01:50:58 AM »
If Marquette can either land a post grad or a transfer who's a junior and has to sit out, that would be fine.  Bank at least two for the 2016 class.  You can live with 11 scholarship players with 10 being able to play.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2015, 07:23:48 AM »

Sterling Smith committed to Pitt
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2015, 07:53:32 AM »
Hopefully he learned his lesson from last year that self-imposing scholarship penalties on the program for nothing other than failure to recruit a full roster is foolish.  When one scholarship player transfers and two get hurt we're playing with seven again.  Three at this point won't happen, but two is a must.  Filling the open spots says nothing about his 2016 recruiting; it says he knows the reality of roster turnover and isn't naive to think he will become immune to it.

agreed. unless the kid is a headcase there is no way taking a grad transfer is going to hurt the team. still some that can help, even if it is off the bench, but it's getting slimmer pickings by the day. hopefully wojo had a plan should we fail on lee and miller

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2015, 08:05:05 AM »

Yet Wojo had all 13 scholarships allotted before the end of the spring signing period (the 11 listed in the scholarship table plus Gabe Levin who left in October and Todd Mayo who announced he was leaving in late July).  yes, two were transfers, but all 13 were used--zero "banked".

Banking scholarships is a stupid idea in the modern college game. The empty chair has absolutely no value this season, and contrary to popular belief, filling those last scholarships this year will have absolutely no impact on 2016 recruiting, because Wojo has 13 scholarships to give.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2015, 08:56:33 AM »
Sterling Smith committed to Pitt

They are dropping like flies!
TAMU

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2015, 10:02:33 AM »
Anybody know where our staff is recruiting lately?

Bill Wennington on Bulls Radio yesterday was talking about how he met Coach Wojo at halftime.
I guess he's recruiting there.  That Butler guy could help us.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2015, 10:36:51 AM »
Yet Wojo had all 13 scholarships allotted before the end of the spring signing period (the 11 listed in the scholarship table plus Gabe Levin who left in October and Todd Mayo who announced he was leaving in late July).  yes, two were transfers, but all 13 were used--zero "banked".

Banking scholarships is a stupid idea in the modern college game. The empty chair has absolutely no value this season, and contrary to popular belief, filling those last scholarships this year will have absolutely no impact on 2016 recruiting, because Wojo has 13 scholarships to give.

I agree.  The absolute max amount of scholarships that should ever be "banked" for a season is 1, and that is if there is nobody worth an offer out there and you can keep it in case a mid-season transfer becomes available.  I still prefer no open scholarships, but with 12 scholarship players on a roster you can afford to leave one open if nobody is worth extending an offer to and it doesn't hurt to have that one open just in case a Luke Fischer wants to come home (even though he even paid his own way because we didn't have a scholarship for his 2nd semester).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2015, 10:59:31 AM »
Bill Wennington on Bulls Radio yesterday was talking about how he met Coach Wojo at halftime.

?-(

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2015, 12:18:29 PM »

Rumor had it he was talking to a Grant Hill character also. Don't know much about him.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2015, 12:25:34 PM »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2015, 01:07:29 PM »

Recruiting where?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2015, 01:13:59 PM »
Simeon?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2015, 01:30:03 PM »
Simeon?

In the 2016 top 150 around Chicago it's pretty bare

Simeon has Zach Norval for next year. 

Hinsdale South has Barret Benson

St Joseph's has Nick Rakocevic

East Chicago has Damien Jefferson

Barrington has Rapolas Ivanauskas

For 2017

Evanston has Nojel Eastern

Elgin has Christion Negron

Not even sure it's worth investing a ton of time recruiting Chicago these next two years. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2015, 02:42:13 PM »
Recruiting where?

It was a joke about him recruiting at the Bulls/Bucks game...... and I mentioned Jimmy Butler too..... it's silly because they are professionals...... and Jimmy already played 4 years for us.
Back to the drawing board.

Wojo Era

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2015, 07:54:26 PM »
It was a joke about him recruiting at the Bulls/Bucks game...... and I mentioned Jimmy Butler too..... it's silly because they are professionals...... and Jimmy already played 4 years for us.
Back to the drawing board.

Jimmy played here 3 years, but point made

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2015, 08:07:03 PM »
In the 2016 top 150 around Chicago it's pretty bare

Simeon has Zach Norval for next year. 

Hinsdale South has Barret Benson

St Joseph's has Nick Rakocevic

East Chicago has Damien Jefferson

Barrington has Rapolas Ivanauskas

For 2017

Evanston has Nojel Eastern

Elgin has Christion Negron

Not even sure it's worth investing a ton of time recruiting Chicago these next two years. 

Barret Benson would be the most likely target from what I've heard.  Rapolas Ivanauskas has committed to Northwestern.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.