[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Who does Wojo target now?  (Read 23016 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: Who does Wojo target now?
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 12:08:38 PM »
Durand Johnson I almost certain would be immediately eligible; recall reading that somewhere.  The Deandre Burnett info is actually a couple weeks old and I haven't seen anything recently. We're getting a visit from UNC-Ashville PG Andrew Rowsey so that's a name to watch.  A little PG insurance if nothing else.  

I'd like some size if we can get it but not sure if someone wants to come to be a backup.  A SF like Durand Johnson that could start at the 3 and play the 4 in a small lineup seems more likely.  Keep an eye on the OKC Thunder coaching job; Kevin Ollie is high on the Thunder's list and Shonn Miller could be back in play if Ollie bolts to the Association.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 12:09:31 PM »
Jeff Goodman just updated his list today and has Deandre Burnett from Miami with Marquette as a potential landing spot.

I know a completely ridiculous stretch and don't think we even want the headache, but what about Sulaimon for one year as a grad transfer of he finishes up school in summer?

Unfortunately, it would be a completely ridiculous stretch and I don't think we even want the headache.

It took 26 posts, but somebody finally mentioned the guy who is actually coming in for a visit, Andrew Rowsey.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 12:11:48 PM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 12:11:16 PM »
This has nothing to do with Wojo coaching at Duke. All I'm saying is they didn't have a lot of college experience or depth. Both of those statements are facts.

Also Tyus Jones won't be a lottery pick.

Yeah...facts...okay.

Duke had a lineup that went 8 deep. All 8 of those players were McDonald's All-Americans, as was another guy (Sulaimon) that left midseason but was a significant contributor before he left.

Duke also got major minutes from Quinn Cook, Marshall Plumlee, and Amile Jefferson, all of whom were pretty experienced. No, the entire team wasn't experienced, but they did have some significant guys with significant experience. More than anyone returning on our roster.

And all of this ignores that Duke's four-man freshman class was all McDonald's All-Americans. We have one incoming freshman who on paper should be as good as any of those four Duke had. Trying to compare 2015-16 Marquette to 2014-15 Duke on paper is nothing short of lunacy.

Now I realize you're only saying they are a tourney team, not a title winner, but there's a long way to go for this team to be a tourney team. Right now we have 2 guys that have ever been regular starters on a NCAA team, and none that have been starters on a winning team. We have two role-playing backups, one guy who never got off the bench at Minnesota, and 5 freshmen. Might that be good enough to make the tourney? Maybe.

Maybe if Duane is a stud, if Luke takes a huge step forward, if Wally or Jajuan can become a reliable starter, if Carter is a freshman phenom, if we get reliable contributions from the rest of the roster...maybe if all of those things happen, this is a tourney team. But that's a lot to ask out of a team of players that have collectively never done anything that amounted to anything at this level. I will need to see them winning games in November and December against real competition before I'm ready to jump on that bandwagonn.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 12:16:24 PM »
The three names I'm looking at as worth targeting are Anton Grady, Tomasz Gielo, and Durand Johnson.

Grady is a monster rebounder and put up great numbers for Cleveland State. Probably wouldn't be as impactful here, but he'll hit the glass hard. I doubt his offense would translate here due to average offensive efficiency on a high volume of shots at a lower level.

Gielo would likely be a backup, but he's a decent rebounder, decent in terms of offensive efficiency, and a good three point shooter, especially at 6'9". Could be a nice sparkplug off the bench type of guy.

Johnson might be the best fit of the remaining players. Great offensive efficiency, good three point shooter, hits the glass, the only real knock is he hasn't played in a year and a half. Injured his ACL in 2014, then sat out 2014-15 due to suspension. Not sure why he sat out, but he was in position to be Pitt's main man this past season. Players in his "comparable season" lists on Pomeroy include Marshon Brooks, Scottie Hopson, Marcus Denmon, and PJ Hairston. Marquette has reached out, Johnson could be the guy everyone forgets about then comes in and averages 13-15 ppg as a graduate transfer. Really hope they put him at the top of the list, and this time, get one of the early visits.

I'm totally with brew on this one any of these guys make us better next year.  All would see minutes.  Obviously any suspension issues would need to be understood and cleared.  Right now we are ONE injury away from not being able to compete effectively in the BEast.  Lose any of Henry, Luke or Matt and we're back to needing a guy like Wally or Sandy at the #4.  That's simply not acceptable in my mind when there are quality bigs that can help us for a year.  Leaving 3 schollys open is like putting one's self on double secret probation.

Now the interesting question might be the decision between a B- grad transfer and a B+ Juco.  Then we've got something to debate.  

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2015, 12:19:54 PM »
did wojo go all in with lee and miller and stop recruiting the juco's? outlaw would have been a good get at this point

it seems as though wojo really focuses on a few specific players, which has worked really well up to this point. however it seems to have backfired here. this team could really use an experienced d-1 transfer with all of our freshman. I would go after Durand Johnson hard if it weren't for possible character issues.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 12:20:29 PM »
Unfortunately, it would be a completely ridiculous stretch and I don't think we even want the headache.

It took 26 posts, but somebody finally mentioned the guy who is actually coming in for a visit, Andrew Rowsey.
Andrew Rowsey will have to sit out next year because he is only a sophomore. I think we need help for next years team, and unfortunately he's not the guy.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 12:30:57 PM »
Andrew Rowsey will have to sit out next year because he is only a sophomore. I think we need help for next years team, and unfortunately he's not the guy.

Having a true second team PG to practice against would be helpful for next year.  If he commits, I hope that Wojo avoids the JUCOs, so MU goes into 2016 recruiting being able to offer two scholarships without facing possible Buzz cutting.  Keep after the grad transfers.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2015, 12:35:14 PM »
Last year at this exact moment it was 11.  Just sayin'.

Many of whom Wojo inherited from Buzz.  Just sayin'.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 12:38:39 PM »
We have a tournament roster as is so I say bank the scholarships. . There's no need to bring in a scrub just because we have openings.

So what happens if guys get hurt or transfer? Do you want another repeat of this past season?

TheFarEastMovement

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2015, 12:39:10 PM »

I believe we have 3 open scholarships. It would be nice to have a full team. My preference would be a graduate transfer, JUCO and another transfer.

Another PG and a switchable/wing would be the highest priority.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2015, 12:47:48 PM »
I believe we have 3 open scholarships. It would be nice to have a full team. My preference would be a graduate transfer, JUCO and another transfer.

Another PG and a switchable/wing would be the highest priority.

I'd be mildly surprised if we added a point guard for next year. Pretty sure that position is set in the coaches' eyes.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2015, 12:50:55 PM »
I was going to bring up Alex Mitola from Dartmouth, but he's going to GW now.  I don't know if we were ever involved though.
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/22/dartmouth-transfer-alex-mitola-is-heading-to-george-washington/

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2015, 12:53:03 PM »
I'd be mildly surprised if we added a point guard for next year. Pretty sure that position is set in the coaches' eyes.

Agreed.  BigDaddy's post the other day makes it appear that the plan is for Traci to start, and Haanif to back him up.

TheFarEastMovement

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 12:55:08 PM »

Carter is definitely going to be a major player at the PG position but if we want to make a deep run in the tournament, I would still prefer adding another PG (at least a transfer that is likely going to sit out). He is the 117th ranked player in the nation as per CBS. Expecting a player like that to produce from day one is quite lofty.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2015, 12:59:14 PM »
Carter is definitely going to be a major player at the PG position but if we want to make a deep run in the tournament, I would still prefer adding another PG (at least a transfer that is likely going to sit out). He is the 117th ranked player in the nation as per CBS. Expecting a player like that to produce from day one is quite lofty.

I'm just saying that from everything I've heard and seen the staff seems to have absolutely zero interest in recruiting any point guard for next year and haven't since Carter gave his verbal.

Plenty of people seem to think it would help. You and I are both included in that. But it seems no one on the coaching staff agrees.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2015, 02:11:42 PM »
Durand Johnson would be Option A for me and Adam Smith Option B.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2015, 02:16:25 PM »
Sorry if this was already posted, but 'Cleveland State transfer Anton Grady told ESPN he has heard from: Kansas, K-State, Iowa St, Xavier, Pitt, Wichita St, Dayton, NC State, Neb.'

Seems odd that he hasn't merited a phone call from MU.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2015, 02:26:25 PM »
Adam Smith has committed to Georgia Tech.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2015, 02:31:48 PM »
Adam Smith has committed to Georgia Tech.

How's that work? Isn't GT and VT both in the ACC?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2015, 02:36:10 PM »
How's that work? Isn't GT and VT both in the ACC?

I thought the same thing. From what I can tell, according to ACC rules, he has to pay his own way.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 02:53:53 PM »
I thought the same thing. From what I can tell, according to ACC rules, he has to pay his own way.

Strange.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2015, 02:56:41 PM »

His family just must have the wealth of nations, a'ina?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2015, 03:35:17 PM »
maybe he's going to be a Uber driver

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
Anybody know where our staff is recruiting lately?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2015, 03:56:48 PM »
Anybody know where our staff is recruiting lately?

Entire staff was in Champlain Park, MN yesterday to evaluate 2017 PG McKinley Wright.

feedback