'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Who does Wojo target now?  (Read 23018 times)

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
Who does Wojo target now?
« on: April 23, 2015, 10:33:32 AM »
Unfortunately we were unable to sign our 2 top targets in Shonn Miller and Damien Lee. They were obviously both heavily recruited and they would have been amazing gets for us. Who do we go to now? 2 Juco's? Are there any other grad transfers Wojo is targeting? What position is top priority for us, a scoring guard or a forward? I trust that Wojo has a plan but does anybody have any info on what that plan is as of now?

w0bbie

• Starter
Re: Who does Wojo target now?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 10:39:30 AM »

Per Big Daddy after the banquet:

5) After that the top targets are two JUCO players.  Plan 1 is Lee and Miller, plan #2 is lee or miller and 1 JUco  plan 2 - two Jucos.  We are not heavily recruiting any other HS seniors.

I'd guess one of the JUCOs is Ty Outlaw since we were mentioned with him awhile back.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 10:42:55 AM »
Per Big Daddy after the banquet:

I'd guess one of the JUCOs is Ty Outlaw since we were mentioned with him awhile back.

Juco only leaves Wojo 2 scholarships the following year, so the kid has to be really a player to take one one those.  It sounds like he is on a lot of good kids for 2016 so maybe he plays with the 10 kids he has.  The only way I take a Juco is if the kid starts right away.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 10:47:16 AM »
Juco only leaves Wojo 2 scholarships the following year, so the kid has to be really a player to take one one those.  It sounds like he is on a lot of good kids for 2016 so maybe he plays with the 10 kids he has.  The only way I take a Juco is if the kid starts right away.

I'm hard pressed to think we'll leave 3 on the table.  That makes zero sense.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 10:47:44 AM »
Based on what they targeted to start the offseason, I'd say a scoring guard and a rebounding forward. There are several grad transfers that could still fit the bill. Ike Nwamu, Mark Tollefson, and Rafael Maia would all be solid additions, but I have a feeling it's too late to get involved with any of them.

Tomasz Gielo could be a decent fit, as could recent transfer declarees Durand Johnson and Anton Grady. According to Goodman, MU has been in contact with Johnson.

As far as JUCOs, Ty Outlaw and Deshawn Freeman were guys we were rumored with that are still out there. Might be tough to get either, MU hasn't been as active with them of late and both are hot commodities.

Strictly guessing, I think Johnson becomes priority #1 and they look for someone else to be the second option.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 10:52:18 AM »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 10:55:38 AM »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
Unfortunately, I agree.

Like I said, 10 is better than 8.  So they all get to play next year and nobody transfers, there all back again.  I believe Henry will play 2 years with his brother.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 11:06:42 AM »
We have a tournament roster as is so I say bank the scholarships. . There's no need to bring in a scrub just because we have openings.
Bring back FFP!!!

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 11:07:47 AM »
I guess it's on to Plan D...whatever that is. Seems like there's just scraps left. Wonder if this is it. This is the team we'll see next year...another shorthanded season.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 11:09:25 AM »
We have a tournament roster as is so I say bank the scholarships. . There's no need to bring in a scrub just because we have openings.

Big East Tournament. Not sure there's the depth or experience for the NCAA Tournament.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 11:10:41 AM »
Like I said, 10 is better than 8.  So they all get to play next year and nobody transfers, there all back again.  I believe Henry will play 2 years with his brother.

Last year at this exact moment it was 11.  Just sayin'.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 11:12:40 AM »
The marginal improvement that any transfer is going to bring is decreasing.  i don't want to add simply to add. Though Grady could be a good fit.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 11:13:22 AM »
Last year at this exact moment it was 11.  Just sayin'.

But things are different this year for a multitude of reasons.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 11:17:14 AM »
Get the JUCO's.   Injuries and transfers happen and should be planned for.    To assume that the current 10 players will be available for every game is just stupid.   And as the roster currently stands, unless all of the freshmen are instant contributors, this is not an NCAA tourney team.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 11:24:57 AM »
Big East Tournament. Not sure there's the depth or experience for the NCAA Tournament.

Disagree, I think we're dancing next year. That Duke team this year sure had a ton of depth and experience, eh?
Bring back FFP!!!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »
The marginal improvement that any transfer is going to bring is decreasing.  i don't want to add simply to add. Though Grady could be a good fit.

The three names I'm looking at as worth targeting are Anton Grady, Tomasz Gielo, and Durand Johnson.

Grady is a monster rebounder and put up great numbers for Cleveland State. Probably wouldn't be as impactful here, but he'll hit the glass hard. I doubt his offense would translate here due to average offensive efficiency on a high volume of shots at a lower level.

Gielo would likely be a backup, but he's a decent rebounder, decent in terms of offensive efficiency, and a good three point shooter, especially at 6'9". Could be a nice sparkplug off the bench type of guy.

Johnson might be the best fit of the remaining players. Great offensive efficiency, good three point shooter, hits the glass, the only real knock is he hasn't played in a year and a half. Injured his ACL in 2014, then sat out 2014-15 due to suspension. Not sure why he sat out, but he was in position to be Pitt's main man this past season. Players in his "comparable season" lists on Pomeroy include Marshon Brooks, Scottie Hopson, Marcus Denmon, and PJ Hairston. Marquette has reached out, Johnson could be the guy everyone forgets about then comes in and averages 13-15 ppg as a graduate transfer. Really hope they put him at the top of the list, and this time, get one of the early visits.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 11:36:48 AM »
Wojo has said he would like a full roster or something close to it.

I doubt seriously if he is going to go into next season 3 short. Puts you 1 or 2 injuries away from not having enough guys to practice without using walk-ons or coaches.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 11:40:49 AM »
Disagree, I think we're dancing next year. That Duke team this year sure had a ton of depth and experience, eh?

Lmao. They also were loaded with McDonalds All Americans & had 3 players turn pro who will be likely lottery picks......but yeah Wojo coached at Duke so we will win the championship

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 11:52:03 AM »

A lot of people disregard it, but they had more than we will. Quinn Cook, Marshall Plumlee, and Amile Jefferson all had experience. And while we have one McDonald's All-American freshman next year, they had four. I like Henry, but our recruiting class isn't close to Okafor/Jones/Winslow/Allen.

I think we could get on the bubble next year if things go well, but right now there are way too many unknowns. We have 4 returning players and only 2 returning starters. I'm about as optimistic a fan as you'll find on these boards, but while Lee and Miller would have made us Big East title contenders, not having them most likely puts us in the middle of the pack.

The team, as constructed, is a lock for no tournament other than the Big East.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 11:52:20 AM »
Based on what they targeted to start the offseason, I'd say a scoring guard and a rebounding forward. There are several grad transfers that could still fit the bill. Ike Nwamu, Mark Tollefson, and Rafael Maia would all be solid additions, but I have a feeling it's too late to get involved with any of them.

Tomasz Gielo could be a decent fit, as could recent transfer declarees Durand Johnson and Anton Grady. According to Goodman, MU has been in contact with Johnson.

As far as JUCOs, Ty Outlaw and Deshawn Freeman were guys we were rumored with that are still out there. Might be tough to get either, MU hasn't been as active with them of late and both are hot commodities.

Strictly guessing, I think Johnson becomes priority #1 and they look for someone else to be the second option.

Isn't Johnson a regular transfer (ie: not eligible right away). We need guys who can play next year, at least 1 or 2 I would think.  Gielo seems like he'd be a good fit to fill in at PF, but we could use a three point shooting guard too.

Bummed about Lee.

Edit: Was thinking about that guy from Miami....
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:57:36 AM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 11:53:58 AM »
Jeff Goodman just updated his list today and has Deandre Burnett from Miami with Marquette as a potential landing spot.

I know a completely ridiculous stretch and don't think we even want the headache, but what about Sulaimon for one year as a grad transfer of he finishes up school in summer?

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 11:54:11 AM »
Lmao. They also were loaded with McDonalds All Americans & had 3 players turn pro who will be likely lottery picks......but yeah Wojo coached at Duke so we will win the championship

This has nothing to do with Wojo coaching at Duke. All I'm saying is they didn't have a lot of college experience or depth. Both of those statements are facts.

Also Tyus Jones won't be a lottery pick.
Bring back FFP!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 11:55:17 AM »

Correct, but wasn't the argument for grabbing the additional players due to injuries....or volume of players?

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 12:04:46 PM »
Here’s some info on the guys mentioned by BrewCity

Durand Johnson- 6’6, 210 SF forward from Pitt. Grad Transfer. He’s from Baltimore he and he’s had some injury issues and suspension issues at Pitt. He was suspended this past season for unspecified reasons. In 2014 he averaged 9 ppg, 3 rebs, in 20mpg. He shoots about 35% from 3 and he shot 85% from the line.

Anton Grady- 6’8 225 PF from Cleveland St. Grad Transfer from Cleveland. Solid contributor for 3 years and this past season averaged about 30 mins, 14 ppg, 8 rebs, 1.4 blks, and shot 49% from the field, and 65% from the line. However, he failed to play well against good competition. Here are some stat lines
VS Louisville- 0-8, 1 point, 4 rebs, 4 fouls
Vs Virginia- 4-13, 9 pts, 3 rebs, 5 fouls
Vs VCU- 2-6, 5 pts, 4 rebs, 4 fouls
Vs Toledo- 3-10, 7 pts, 5 rebs, 4 fouls
Vs Iona- 2-9, 4 pts, 9 rebs, 3 fouls
They lost every one of these games. I’m not saying I think he’s a bad player, but I don’t think that he can walk into the Big East and average double figures consistently.

Thomasz Gielo- 6’9 220 PF from Liberty. Grad Transfer from Poland. Barely played this season but over the past 2 years he averaged about 30 mins, 11ppg, 6 rebs, and shoots 40% from 3, and 80% from the line.

Ike Nwamu- 6’5 205 wing from Mercer. Grad transfer from Greensboro NC. Really athletic, big time dunker who averaged 33 mins, 15 pts, 3 rebs, and shot 37% from 3 while making 2.3 of them per game, and 76% from the line.

Mark Tollefsen- 6’9 200 pf/c from U San Fran. Grad transfer from California. Averaged 31 mins, 14 pts, 5.5 rebs, 1 blk, and shot 53% from the field, 38% from 3, and about 70% from the line.

Rafael Maia- 6’9 245 pf from Brown. Grad transfer from Sao Paulo, Brazil. 30 mins, 10 pts, 9 rebs, 54% fg, 55% ft, 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 12:08:38 PM »
Durand Johnson I almost certain would be immediately eligible; recall reading that somewhere.  The Deandre Burnett info is actually a couple weeks old and I haven't seen anything recently. We're getting a visit from UNC-Ashville PG Andrew Rowsey so that's a name to watch.  A little PG insurance if nothing else.  

I'd like some size if we can get it but not sure if someone wants to come to be a backup.  A SF like Durand Johnson that could start at the 3 and play the 4 in a small lineup seems more likely.  Keep an eye on the OKC Thunder coaching job; Kevin Ollie is high on the Thunder's list and Shonn Miller could be back in play if Ollie bolts to the Association.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 12:09:31 PM »
Jeff Goodman just updated his list today and has Deandre Burnett from Miami with Marquette as a potential landing spot.

I know a completely ridiculous stretch and don't think we even want the headache, but what about Sulaimon for one year as a grad transfer of he finishes up school in summer?

Unfortunately, it would be a completely ridiculous stretch and I don't think we even want the headache.

It took 26 posts, but somebody finally mentioned the guy who is actually coming in for a visit, Andrew Rowsey.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 12:11:48 PM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 12:11:16 PM »
This has nothing to do with Wojo coaching at Duke. All I'm saying is they didn't have a lot of college experience or depth. Both of those statements are facts.

Also Tyus Jones won't be a lottery pick.

Yeah...facts...okay.

Duke had a lineup that went 8 deep. All 8 of those players were McDonald's All-Americans, as was another guy (Sulaimon) that left midseason but was a significant contributor before he left.

Duke also got major minutes from Quinn Cook, Marshall Plumlee, and Amile Jefferson, all of whom were pretty experienced. No, the entire team wasn't experienced, but they did have some significant guys with significant experience. More than anyone returning on our roster.

And all of this ignores that Duke's four-man freshman class was all McDonald's All-Americans. We have one incoming freshman who on paper should be as good as any of those four Duke had. Trying to compare 2015-16 Marquette to 2014-15 Duke on paper is nothing short of lunacy.

Now I realize you're only saying they are a tourney team, not a title winner, but there's a long way to go for this team to be a tourney team. Right now we have 2 guys that have ever been regular starters on a NCAA team, and none that have been starters on a winning team. We have two role-playing backups, one guy who never got off the bench at Minnesota, and 5 freshmen. Might that be good enough to make the tourney? Maybe.

Maybe if Duane is a stud, if Luke takes a huge step forward, if Wally or Jajuan can become a reliable starter, if Carter is a freshman phenom, if we get reliable contributions from the rest of the roster...maybe if all of those things happen, this is a tourney team. But that's a lot to ask out of a team of players that have collectively never done anything that amounted to anything at this level. I will need to see them winning games in November and December against real competition before I'm ready to jump on that bandwagonn.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 12:16:24 PM »
The three names I'm looking at as worth targeting are Anton Grady, Tomasz Gielo, and Durand Johnson.

Grady is a monster rebounder and put up great numbers for Cleveland State. Probably wouldn't be as impactful here, but he'll hit the glass hard. I doubt his offense would translate here due to average offensive efficiency on a high volume of shots at a lower level.

Gielo would likely be a backup, but he's a decent rebounder, decent in terms of offensive efficiency, and a good three point shooter, especially at 6'9". Could be a nice sparkplug off the bench type of guy.

Johnson might be the best fit of the remaining players. Great offensive efficiency, good three point shooter, hits the glass, the only real knock is he hasn't played in a year and a half. Injured his ACL in 2014, then sat out 2014-15 due to suspension. Not sure why he sat out, but he was in position to be Pitt's main man this past season. Players in his "comparable season" lists on Pomeroy include Marshon Brooks, Scottie Hopson, Marcus Denmon, and PJ Hairston. Marquette has reached out, Johnson could be the guy everyone forgets about then comes in and averages 13-15 ppg as a graduate transfer. Really hope they put him at the top of the list, and this time, get one of the early visits.

I'm totally with brew on this one any of these guys make us better next year.  All would see minutes.  Obviously any suspension issues would need to be understood and cleared.  Right now we are ONE injury away from not being able to compete effectively in the BEast.  Lose any of Henry, Luke or Matt and we're back to needing a guy like Wally or Sandy at the #4.  That's simply not acceptable in my mind when there are quality bigs that can help us for a year.  Leaving 3 schollys open is like putting one's self on double secret probation.

Now the interesting question might be the decision between a B- grad transfer and a B+ Juco.  Then we've got something to debate.  

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2015, 12:19:54 PM »
did wojo go all in with lee and miller and stop recruiting the juco's? outlaw would have been a good get at this point

it seems as though wojo really focuses on a few specific players, which has worked really well up to this point. however it seems to have backfired here. this team could really use an experienced d-1 transfer with all of our freshman. I would go after Durand Johnson hard if it weren't for possible character issues.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 12:20:29 PM »
Unfortunately, it would be a completely ridiculous stretch and I don't think we even want the headache.

It took 26 posts, but somebody finally mentioned the guy who is actually coming in for a visit, Andrew Rowsey.
Andrew Rowsey will have to sit out next year because he is only a sophomore. I think we need help for next years team, and unfortunately he's not the guy.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 12:30:57 PM »
Andrew Rowsey will have to sit out next year because he is only a sophomore. I think we need help for next years team, and unfortunately he's not the guy.

Having a true second team PG to practice against would be helpful for next year.  If he commits, I hope that Wojo avoids the JUCOs, so MU goes into 2016 recruiting being able to offer two scholarships without facing possible Buzz cutting.  Keep after the grad transfers.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2015, 12:35:14 PM »
Last year at this exact moment it was 11.  Just sayin'.

Many of whom Wojo inherited from Buzz.  Just sayin'.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 12:38:39 PM »

So what happens if guys get hurt or transfer? Do you want another repeat of this past season?

TheFarEastMovement

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2015, 12:39:10 PM »

I believe we have 3 open scholarships. It would be nice to have a full team. My preference would be a graduate transfer, JUCO and another transfer.

Another PG and a switchable/wing would be the highest priority.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2015, 12:47:48 PM »
I believe we have 3 open scholarships. It would be nice to have a full team. My preference would be a graduate transfer, JUCO and another transfer.

Another PG and a switchable/wing would be the highest priority.

I'd be mildly surprised if we added a point guard for next year. Pretty sure that position is set in the coaches' eyes.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2015, 12:50:55 PM »
I was going to bring up Alex Mitola from Dartmouth, but he's going to GW now.  I don't know if we were ever involved though.
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/22/dartmouth-transfer-alex-mitola-is-heading-to-george-washington/

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2015, 12:53:03 PM »
I'd be mildly surprised if we added a point guard for next year. Pretty sure that position is set in the coaches' eyes.

Agreed.  BigDaddy's post the other day makes it appear that the plan is for Traci to start, and Haanif to back him up.

TheFarEastMovement

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 12:55:08 PM »

Carter is definitely going to be a major player at the PG position but if we want to make a deep run in the tournament, I would still prefer adding another PG (at least a transfer that is likely going to sit out). He is the 117th ranked player in the nation as per CBS. Expecting a player like that to produce from day one is quite lofty.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2015, 12:59:14 PM »
Carter is definitely going to be a major player at the PG position but if we want to make a deep run in the tournament, I would still prefer adding another PG (at least a transfer that is likely going to sit out). He is the 117th ranked player in the nation as per CBS. Expecting a player like that to produce from day one is quite lofty.

I'm just saying that from everything I've heard and seen the staff seems to have absolutely zero interest in recruiting any point guard for next year and haven't since Carter gave his verbal.

Plenty of people seem to think it would help. You and I are both included in that. But it seems no one on the coaching staff agrees.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2015, 02:11:42 PM »
Durand Johnson would be Option A for me and Adam Smith Option B.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2015, 02:16:25 PM »
Sorry if this was already posted, but 'Cleveland State transfer Anton Grady told ESPN he has heard from: Kansas, K-State, Iowa St, Xavier, Pitt, Wichita St, Dayton, NC State, Neb.'

Seems odd that he hasn't merited a phone call from MU.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2015, 02:26:25 PM »
Adam Smith has committed to Georgia Tech.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2015, 02:31:48 PM »
Adam Smith has committed to Georgia Tech.

How's that work? Isn't GT and VT both in the ACC?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2015, 02:36:10 PM »
How's that work? Isn't GT and VT both in the ACC?

I thought the same thing. From what I can tell, according to ACC rules, he has to pay his own way.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 02:53:53 PM »
I thought the same thing. From what I can tell, according to ACC rules, he has to pay his own way.

Strange.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2015, 02:56:41 PM »

His family just must have the wealth of nations, a'ina?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2015, 03:35:17 PM »
maybe he's going to be a Uber driver

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
Anybody know where our staff is recruiting lately?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2015, 03:56:48 PM »

Entire staff was in Champlain Park, MN yesterday to evaluate 2017 PG McKinley Wright.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2015, 04:58:47 PM »
Despite what Big Daddy said, I am not sure that Marquette is going to be going much after Jucos unless their academics are good and are are well coordinated with MU's course offerings.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2015, 05:03:05 PM »
Next post is 17k, Sultan.   Only Chicos has more.   Make it count. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2015, 05:16:07 PM »
Despite what Big Daddy said, I am not sure that Marquette is going to be going much after Jucos unless their academics are good and are are well coordinated with MU's course offerings.

Agreed. Maurice O'Field was different because he was a full qualifier with three years left. That said, Outlaw was also a full qualifier out of high school.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2015, 05:39:14 PM »

Have heard the same thing. I think only three year jucos will even be an option going forward.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2015, 05:42:01 PM »
Missing on Lee obviously hurt. There are still some good grad transfers out there. Some names I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread:

Derrick Gordon: 6"3 205 SG from UMass
Sterling Smith: 6"4 200 SG from Coppin State
Shawn Smith: 6"6 28 SF from Marshall
Lonnie Jackson: 6"3 173 SG from Boston College
TAMU

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2015, 07:56:08 PM »
Wojo said last year that he would not just take bodies to fill empty scholarships. I think at this point he should just save them unless he can get a one year player. Filling the open positions would be an indication that Wojo's 2016 recruiting is not going well. Besides that with the ten scholarship players we have three walk ons. The twins and Marotta's son, so we have enough players to practice.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2015, 08:02:24 PM »
*dreams* Jamal Murray
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2015, 09:42:03 PM »
Wojo said last year that he would not just take bodies to fill empty scholarships. I think at this point he should just save them unless he can get a one year player. Filling the open positions would be an indication that Wojo's 2016 recruiting is not going well. Besides that with the ten scholarship players we have three walk ons. The twins and Marotta's son, so we have enough players to practice.

Hopefully he learned his lesson from last year that self-imposing scholarship penalties on the program for nothing other than failure to recruit a full roster is foolish.  When one scholarship player transfers and two get hurt we're playing with seven again.  Three at this point won't happen, but two is a must.  Filling the open spots says nothing about his 2016 recruiting; it says he knows the reality of roster turnover and isn't naive to think he will become immune to it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2015, 10:41:05 PM »
Missing on Lee obviously hurt. There are still some good grad transfers out there. Some names I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread:

Looks like it's time to change my screen name to Smith82!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2015, 01:50:58 AM »
If Marquette can either land a post grad or a transfer who's a junior and has to sit out, that would be fine.  Bank at least two for the 2016 class.  You can live with 11 scholarship players with 10 being able to play.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2015, 07:23:48 AM »

Sterling Smith committed to Pitt
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2015, 07:53:32 AM »
Hopefully he learned his lesson from last year that self-imposing scholarship penalties on the program for nothing other than failure to recruit a full roster is foolish.  When one scholarship player transfers and two get hurt we're playing with seven again.  Three at this point won't happen, but two is a must.  Filling the open spots says nothing about his 2016 recruiting; it says he knows the reality of roster turnover and isn't naive to think he will become immune to it.

agreed. unless the kid is a headcase there is no way taking a grad transfer is going to hurt the team. still some that can help, even if it is off the bench, but it's getting slimmer pickings by the day. hopefully wojo had a plan should we fail on lee and miller

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2015, 08:05:05 AM »

Yet Wojo had all 13 scholarships allotted before the end of the spring signing period (the 11 listed in the scholarship table plus Gabe Levin who left in October and Todd Mayo who announced he was leaving in late July).  yes, two were transfers, but all 13 were used--zero "banked".

Banking scholarships is a stupid idea in the modern college game. The empty chair has absolutely no value this season, and contrary to popular belief, filling those last scholarships this year will have absolutely no impact on 2016 recruiting, because Wojo has 13 scholarships to give.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2015, 08:56:33 AM »
Sterling Smith committed to Pitt

They are dropping like flies!
TAMU

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2015, 10:02:33 AM »

Bill Wennington on Bulls Radio yesterday was talking about how he met Coach Wojo at halftime.
I guess he's recruiting there.  That Butler guy could help us.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2015, 10:36:51 AM »
Yet Wojo had all 13 scholarships allotted before the end of the spring signing period (the 11 listed in the scholarship table plus Gabe Levin who left in October and Todd Mayo who announced he was leaving in late July).  yes, two were transfers, but all 13 were used--zero "banked".

Banking scholarships is a stupid idea in the modern college game. The empty chair has absolutely no value this season, and contrary to popular belief, filling those last scholarships this year will have absolutely no impact on 2016 recruiting, because Wojo has 13 scholarships to give.

I agree.  The absolute max amount of scholarships that should ever be "banked" for a season is 1, and that is if there is nobody worth an offer out there and you can keep it in case a mid-season transfer becomes available.  I still prefer no open scholarships, but with 12 scholarship players on a roster you can afford to leave one open if nobody is worth extending an offer to and it doesn't hurt to have that one open just in case a Luke Fischer wants to come home (even though he even paid his own way because we didn't have a scholarship for his 2nd semester).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2015, 10:59:31 AM »
Bill Wennington on Bulls Radio yesterday was talking about how he met Coach Wojo at halftime.

?-(

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2015, 12:18:29 PM »

Rumor had it he was talking to a Grant Hill character also. Don't know much about him.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2015, 12:25:34 PM »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2015, 01:07:29 PM »

Recruiting where?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2015, 01:13:59 PM »
Simeon?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2015, 01:30:03 PM »
Simeon?

In the 2016 top 150 around Chicago it's pretty bare

Simeon has Zach Norval for next year. 

Hinsdale South has Barret Benson

St Joseph's has Nick Rakocevic

East Chicago has Damien Jefferson

Barrington has Rapolas Ivanauskas

For 2017

Evanston has Nojel Eastern

Elgin has Christion Negron

Not even sure it's worth investing a ton of time recruiting Chicago these next two years. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2015, 02:42:13 PM »
Recruiting where?

It was a joke about him recruiting at the Bulls/Bucks game...... and I mentioned Jimmy Butler too..... it's silly because they are professionals...... and Jimmy already played 4 years for us.
Back to the drawing board.

Wojo Era

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2015, 07:54:26 PM »
It was a joke about him recruiting at the Bulls/Bucks game...... and I mentioned Jimmy Butler too..... it's silly because they are professionals...... and Jimmy already played 4 years for us.
Back to the drawing board.

Jimmy played here 3 years, but point made

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2015, 08:07:03 PM »
In the 2016 top 150 around Chicago it's pretty bare

Simeon has Zach Norval for next year. 

Hinsdale South has Barret Benson

St Joseph's has Nick Rakocevic

East Chicago has Damien Jefferson

Barrington has Rapolas Ivanauskas

For 2017

Evanston has Nojel Eastern

Elgin has Christion Negron

Not even sure it's worth investing a ton of time recruiting Chicago these next two years. 

Barret Benson would be the most likely target from what I've heard.  Rapolas Ivanauskas has committed to Northwestern.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2015, 08:38:26 AM »
There is one big difference between this year and last year. That difference is that the team is now made up of all Wojo players, vs last year's team were Buzz's players. I consider players like Wilson and JJJ now to be Wojo players, because they now know what he is about. There is something wrong, if we again experience pre-seson ans mid season transfers. Injuries are always a crap shoot.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2015, 08:49:59 AM »
Barret Benson would be the most likely target from what I've heard.  Rapolas Ivanauskas has committed to Northwestern.

Interesting. Well like I said it chicago's pretty week on top prospects these next two years it seems (particularly CPS) so I'd stick in wisconsin and put most my efforts elsewhere
Maigh Eo for Sam