[Today at 07:05:03 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:25:51 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crowder embraced in Boston  (Read 11720 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Crowder embraced in Boston
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 09:18:33 AM »
As much as I like Jae and as obnoxious as I typically find the Boston fanbase, he was destined to be a fan favorite in that city. Then again, given his style of play, he was probably destined to be a fan favorite any place that gave him significant minutes. The kid is a warrior.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 09:28:26 AM »
I kept looking in the article for some background on Crowder, e.g. where he went to college, things like that.  Nothing.  It's like he manifested from the fog one day in Boston and led them to the playoffs.

*Damn ESPN and their anti-Big East bias that bathes Myron Medcalf.*
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 09:30:36 AM »
I truly think Jae plays the game harder than anyone else I've ever watched. Every single play he gives every possible ounce of effort, and that has helped him overcome often being undersized and maybe not quite as talented as the guys on the floor around him.

He had so many memorable performances in his two years, but one that always sticks out for me was at West Virginia. WVU fans were hailing Kevin Jones as the greatest player in the league and felt the BEPOY was wrapped up by early January. Seemed like half our team (Mayo, DJO, Cadougan, Blue) was suspended for half of that game. But Jae was freaking everywhere. Played all 40 minutes, led all scorers, got rebounds, loose balls, made steals and blocks, he was a madman. Everyone remembers that game for Buzz's dance, but Jae stamped his name on the BEPOY award that night, despite not being the biggest, fastest, most athletic player in the league. It was his sheer force of will that made him the best.

I don't think he'll ever reach that level in the NBA, but I love seeing him carve out a niche. I also know there was plenty of behind the scenes disapproval that came with Jae even attending Marquette. But man, would I love to have him associated with the program whenever his professional career comes to an end. If his drive to succeed after basketball is close to the drive that got him this far, he'll be very, very good at whatever he chooses to do.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 09:33:51 AM »
As much as I like Jae and as obnoxious as I typically find the Boston fanbase, he was destined to be a fan favorite in that city. Then again, given his style of play, he was probably destined to be a fan favorite any place that gave him significant minutes. The kid is a warrior.

I love seeing Jimmy Wes and Jae being huge fan favorites. We'll likely never have anyone who brings as much emotion to us and a city as Wade does (maybe if Henry stays two years? And becomes a super star?)  but these guys really have literally put us on the map coast to coast.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 09:46:15 AM »
I don't think he'll ever reach that level in the NBA, but I love seeing him carve out a niche. I also know there was plenty of behind the scenes disapproval that came with Jae even attending Marquette. But man, would I love to have him associated with the program whenever his professional career comes to an end. If his drive to succeed after basketball is close to the drive that got him this far, he'll be very, very good at whatever he chooses to do.

I'm glad Wojo has reached out and tried to get him back involved with the program, and Jae has reciprocated. Look for him to come back with the rest of the pros this summer. There were some hard feelings because he was being used as an example by the previous administration. When in reality, he's as good of a representative of MU as any graduate.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 09:46:45 AM »
I truly think Jae plays the game harder than anyone else I've ever watched. Every single play he gives every possible ounce of effort, and that has helped him overcome often being undersized and maybe not quite as talented as the guys on the floor around him.

He had so many memorable performances in his two years, but one that always sticks out for me was at West Virginia. WVU fans were hailing Kevin Jones as the greatest player in the league and felt the BEPOY was wrapped up by early January. Seemed like half our team (Mayo, DJO, Cadougan, Blue) was suspended for half of that game. But Jae was freaking everywhere. Played all 40 minutes, led all scorers, got rebounds, loose balls, made steals and blocks, he was a madman. Everyone remembers that game for Buzz's dance, but Jae stamped his name on the BEPOY award that night, despite not being the biggest, fastest, most athletic player in the league. It was his sheer force of will that made him the best.

I love Jae but if WVU does better that year Kevin Jones is BEPOY. Jones averaged  2.5 more rebounds and 2.4 more points, 1.5 less fouls. Jae averaged .9 more assist and 1.8 more steals. Same blocks and TO.  

If WVU finished at the top Jones would've won.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 09:48:23 AM »
That is IF.... WVU didn't, and Jae won.  That is the facts, sir ! ! !

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 09:50:41 AM »
I love seeing Jimmy Wes and Jae being huge fan favorites. We'll likely never have anyone who brings as much emotion to us and a city as Wade does (maybe if Henry stays two years? And becomes a super star?)  but these guys really have literally put us on the map coast to coast.

I think JFB might be our best shot right now.  His development in the last year has been scary and he's turning into the marquee player in Chicago.  Couple more playoffs performances like the other night and his legend will continue to grow.  He's on the cusp of being a perennial all-star.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 09:56:52 AM »
I love Jae but if WVU does better that year Kevin Jones is BEPOY. Jones averaged  2.5 more rebounds and 2.4 more points, 1.5 less fouls. Jae averaged .9 more assist and 1.8 more steals. Same blocks and TO.  

And Jae averaged 5.5 minutes less per game than Jones.  Don't really think its as cut and dry as you put it here.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 10:01:58 AM »

Debatable, especially as it's the Big East POY award, and in Big East play, those numbers get closer. Jones had the rebounding edge by 2.6 in conference, scoring by 1.9. Jae had 1.0 more assists and 2.2 more steals. Jae also had him by 10 in defensive rating and made more threes (1.7 to 1.0) and at a higher percentage (34.1 to 26.6).

Though winning definitely mattered. When Marquette was surging, Jae was at his best. Meanwhile, WVU was slumping and Jones had quite a few forgettable performances (by his standards).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 10:10:59 AM »
Debatable, especially as it's the Big East POY award, and in Big East play, those numbers get closer. Jones had the rebounding edge by 2.6 in conference, scoring by 1.9. Jae had 1.0 more assists and 2.2 more steals. Jae also had him by 10 in defensive rating and made more threes (1.7 to 1.0) and at a higher percentage (34.1 to 26.6).

Though winning definitely mattered. When Marquette was surging, Jae was at his best. Meanwhile, WVU was slumping and Jones had quite a few forgettable performances (by his standards).

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I think Jae Crowder deserved the Big East POY award.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 10:18:23 AM »
Jae deserves all the recognition he is receiving.  Tremendous worker and effort player.  It's all the better that he is being coached right now by Brad Stevens, who gives him every opportunity to succeed - unlike Rick Carlisle in Dallas.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
I had been calling for the Celtics to trade Rondo for years. He was always a cancer and he was the reason both Ray Allen and Doc left Boston. I consider both Doc and Rick Carlisle both great players coaches who have both won a Championship and Rondo has had major issues with both of them. Every player loved Doc but there were at least a couple incidents where Rondo lost it and tried to physically attack Doc during practices. I couldn't be happier that he is gone, and that we got a great young guy like Jae in return. I hope that we sign him long term along with a few star players and make a run at a title. Every great team needs hardnosed players like Jae who are great locker room guys, great defenders, and play with great toughness. I see him having a bright future in a Celtics uniform.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 10:38:27 AM »
Here's how I'll respond.  I sincerely believe that any NBA team would be better off with a MU guy on the roster.  All tough as nails.  Suspect most can be coached and can accept their role.  I have seriously wondered over the years why a guy like DJO, Vander or Jerel isn't an end of the bench Buck.  Play a few minutes of hard D and say thank you very much. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 07:01:37 PM »
Wade, Jimmy, Wes and Jae are all currently loved amongst home fans.

Novak had the New York thing going on for a while.

We are producing some gritty fun to root for guys.

*wade is the outlier in that he's a legend but still.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 08:41:43 PM »
Amazing game by Jae tonight. Played extremely tough and hit some big shots. The announcers also mentioned 3x that he went to Marquette

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 09:19:46 PM »
And Jae averaged 5.5 minutes less per game than Jones.  Don't really think its as cut and dry as you put it here.
To be truthful, those minutes were due to foul trouble.  But Jae deserved the honor based on how he led his team.....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 10:06:59 PM »
Amazing game by Jae tonight. Played extremely tough and hit some big shots. The announcers also mentioned 3x that he went to Marquette

Loved that Jae didn't back down from LeBron one iota. Even ran him right over once!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 10:09:31 PM »
To be truthful, those minutes were due to foul trouble.  But Jae deserved the honor based on how he led his team.....

...which also had another potential all American on it whereas Jones had nodda.  

Like I said I love Jae, he's one of my all time favorites but we overstate how much he lead his team when he wasn't even the leading scorer most of the year and he had a fellow potential all American on the team (forgot if DJO actually got that honor).

Now this is an argument I respect. Does Big east POY mean you were the best in Big East play or does it mean you represented your big east team the best in both noncon and con play
Maigh Eo for Sam

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 10:39:43 PM »
As much as I like Jae and as obnoxious as I typically find the Boston fanbase, he was destined to be a fan favorite in that city.

This.  Boston likes the extremes.... the uber athletes who dominate and the less athletic ones who are all heart.  Jae is certainly the latter and you knew Bostonians would love his effort.

mileskishnish72

• All American

MarquetteDano

• All American

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2015, 03:49:00 PM »
Jae successfully guarded Andre Drummond in college.    Fearless then, fearless now.    Warrior mentality. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 05:53:09 PM »
4 things we learned about the Boston Celtics in Thursday's Game 3 loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers
David Cassilo, Northeast Ohio Media Group
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on April 24, 2015 at 11:01 AM, updated April 24, 2015 at 11:05 AM

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2015/04/4_things_we_learned_about_the_2.html

4. Jae Crowder is a piece of the puzzle

With such a young team, this playoff run for Boston is as much about trying to figure out who can be part of future successes as it is about trying to pull of a major upset.

Crowder is one player that seems to be vital to Boston's future. He brings toughness, defense and an improving offense. On Game 3, he had 16 points off the bench.

Like other recent Marquette graduates (Jimmy Butler and Wes Matthews), he may have been overlooked coming out of college, but he's proven to be a vital asset in the NBA.

"Jae's not scared, but he's not going to play in a way where he's going to back down from anybody," Stevens said. "He plays very hard and he's a very versatile defender. He's been a great addition."