'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Steve Taylor Sighting  (Read 12613 times)

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
Steve Taylor Sighting
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:11:03 PM »
I played some pickup bball with Steve Taylor tonight at the rec center. I hadn't seen him since he announced that he was transferring. There was pretty good competition there today, and he really didn't play that well. He mostly stood outside and shot 3s. He had one open dunk but he mostly shied away from posting people up.

And as I was changing my shoes before leaving he was walking out talking to a girl he was friends with. I couldn't really hear what they were talking about because they quickly passed me, but at one point I heard him say "I'm not playing next year". I don't know what was said before that in the conversation, and I don't know what was said after. I think it's obvious that he is not playing at MU next year, given his omission from the awards ceremony. And we all think that he's not a very appealing transfer candidate. I think that there is a chance that he is simply quitting. Maybe his body is breaking down because of his injury issues. I think it's an interesting case, because neither transferring nor quitting make much sense. I don't see why he wouldn't want to play at MU next year but I think at this point that's not going to happen. The whole thing doesn't make much sense, we'll see how it plays out.

Wojo Era

• Scholarship Player
Re: Steve Taylor Sighting
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 09:16:26 PM »
If he is going to transfer, he can't play next year, needs to sit out.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 09:16:59 PM »
Shamrock, did ya posterise Teve? What was your stat line?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 09:47:44 PM »

He was guarding me and I was guarding him. I scored two buckets, one midrange jumper and a layup. He hit two toughly contested 3's to go along with a few bricks. He didn't get anything inside, he kicked it out every time he tried to post up. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 10:03:02 PM »
He was guarding me and I was guarding him. I scored two buckets, one midrange jumper and a layup. He hit two toughly contested 3's to go along with a few bricks. He didn't get anything inside, he kicked it out every time he tried to post up. 

He was probably trying to not be a dick. I played D2 and most D1 guys could destroy me and most other D2's. he probably just wanted to have a little fun without ruining the rest of the guys night.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 10:04:52 PM »
Maybe he was playing it safe so he wouldn't get hurt.  That would really kill his chances of transferring anywhere, especially D1.  He has nothing to prove against a bunch of receiver ballers. No offense Celtic.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 10:09:07 PM »
He was probably trying to not be a dick. I played D2 and most D1 guys could destroy me and most other D2's. he probably just wanted to have a little fun without ruining the rest of the guys night.

Yeah but Ners could take any D1 guy cause he played in High School
Maigh Eo for Sam

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 10:13:13 PM »
By no means am I saying that Steve can't take me in the post, if he couldn't then I'd have a scholarship. And I agree that it is kind of awkward for those guys playing against "normal" people. They want to look good but don't want to look like they are trying too hard. Because if they look like they are going really hard and trying to dominate you and you stop them that really makes them look bad. He definitely just wanted to play some ball, score some points, and avoid getting disrespected at all costs. Also avoid injury. And you also play down to your competition, he's obviously used to playing a different style with and against much better players.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 10:19:33 PM »
Are you seeing anyone about your condition?
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 11:07:52 PM »
If he's not playing pickup with the guys, I guess that says all that needs to be said about his status.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ShootinOutWallsofHeartach

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 11:48:13 PM »
I'll preface my 2 "I played a pickup game with...." stories by noting that the only sports I excelled in as a youngin were golf and baseball.  Never played a lick of organized hoops except for a year on the bench of my 8th grade team....Year:1990 or thereabouts, spring, post MU buckets. I'm at Helfaer and just hit a running jump hook over what i thought was the "outstretched" arms of Tyrone Baldwin, my then-fave Warrior (soon to be supplanted by Roney Eford). Tyrone saw the look of sheer glee on my face as I ran back on D. Let's just say my very next shot witnessed the true ability of a D-1 defender, as it was returned way past sender, and Ty continued his motion downcourt and corralled the ball at midcourt, took a couple huge strides and high dribbles and threw down a ridiculous windmill. He was the nicest guy you ever met, and he couldn't stop laughing at my misguided notion that I somehow belonged on the court with him.

Message received. Which was why I totally knew what was coming next a couple years later when, as a grad student at Illinois, a buddy of mine successfully drove in and converted lay-up over Deon Thomas during a pickup game. So as not to prove his point by simply utilizing his unfair height, weight, and sheer athletic advantage over us slow white dudes, Deon proceeded to sink 16 straight "somewhat guarded" NBA 3 Pointers over the guy. I mean this was an interior player who rarely, if ever, took a 3 for the "Lou do" in Champaign. As the PGA Tour's ad campaign admonishes us would-be hacks..."TheseGuys are Good!!!"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 11:50:41 PM »
he was walking out talking to a girl he was friends with. I couldn't really hear what they were talking about because they quickly passed me, but at one point I heard him say "I'm not playing next year". I don't know what was said before that in the conversation, and I don't know what was said after.

What the hell's wrong with you, man? You should have followed him closely in order to overhear everything he said then posted it verbatim here.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 05:38:02 AM »
By no means am I saying that Steve can't take me in the post, if he couldn't then I'd have a scholarship. And I agree that it is kind of awkward for those guys playing against "normal" people. They want to look good but don't want to look like they are trying too hard. Because if they look like they are going really hard and trying to dominate you and you stop them that really makes them look bad. He definitely just wanted to play some ball, score some points, and avoid getting disrespected at all costs. Also avoid injury. And you also play down to your competition, he's obviously used to playing a different style with and against much better players.

The also don't want to get hurt. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 08:05:17 AM »

Does Wojo know about you?  We might have a fourth walk-on for next year.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 08:19:41 AM »
I'm not sure which is worse, this, or trying to decipher twitter comments.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 11:02:06 AM »
As students, we used to laugh at/about Brian Barone, because he was a goofy-looking back-up player on some pretty poor teams.

Then, he showed up at the rec center, and proceeded to dismantle every single person that tried to guard him for 3+ hours. He wasn't a jerk about it at all, but he was clearly WAY better than EVERYBODY there. He took on all comers, and made them all look foolish is various capacities. He'd pass the ball a lot, but he could have scored every time down... and there were some pretty good players there.

We left, and he was still on the court getting in games. Dude must have played for 4+ hours.

The average fan has NO CLUE how good these guys really are. It's insane.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 11:13:10 AM »
As students, we used to laugh at/about Brian Barone, because he was a goofy-looking back-up player on some pretty poor teams.

Then, he showed up at the rec center, and proceeded to dismantle every single person that tried to guard him for 3+ hours. He wasn't a jerk about it at all, but he was clearly WAY better than EVERYBODY there. He took on all comers, and made them all look foolish is various capacities. He'd pass the ball a lot, but he could have scored every time down... and there were some pretty good players there.

We left, and he was still on the court getting in games. Dude must have played for 4+ hours.

The average fan has NO CLUE how good these guys really are. It's insane.

Back in I think 04-05, I used to play at the Rec every day, and there was some 6-6 dude who was a one-man wrecking crew. Did not surprise me at all when he wound up on the team, and I seem to remember he was Travis Diener's cousin? Maybe a second cousin? He ended up transferring at the end of the 1st semester, I think to pay DII ball. Anyone remember this guy? He was a Marquette player for a few weeks.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 11:15:51 AM »
Back in I think 04-05, I used to play at the Rec every day, and there was some 6-6 dude who was a one-man wrecking crew. Did not surprise me at all when he wound up on the team, and I seem to remember he was Travis Diener's cousin? Maybe a second cousin? He ended up transferring at the end of the 1st semester, I think to pay DII ball. Anyone remember this guy? He was a Marquette player for a few weeks.

Did he look like this?

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/shane_grube
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 11:31:25 AM »
Did he look like this?

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/shane_grube

That's the dude! Only 6'3 I see. Guess he seemed a lot taller on the court  :D

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 11:33:59 AM »
Traditional, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 12:07:27 PM »
I was pretty close with Scott Christopherson when we were both freshman at MU.  After he decided to transfer we'd go to the Rec Center fairly regularly and he never wanted to play in pick up games (can't blame him), so we'd just shoot around for a while.  That guy could shoot the rock.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 12:29:22 PM »
The biggest showing of MU players playing at the rec was my sophomore year when Vander, Steve, Davante and Juan along with two girls from the girls team all played. I took one open 3 and missed it. Don't think I got the ball again for the rest of the game.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 01:53:54 PM »
I played some pickup bball with Steve Taylor tonight at the rec center. I hadn't seen him since he announced that he was transferring. There was pretty good competition there today, and he really didn't play that well. He mostly stood outside and shot 3s. He had one open dunk but he mostly shied away from posting people up.

And as I was changing my shoes before leaving he was walking out talking to a girl he was friends with. I couldn't really hear what they were talking about because they quickly passed me, but at one point I heard him say "I'm not playing next year". I don't know what was said before that in the conversation, and I don't know what was said after. I think it's obvious that he is not playing at MU next year, given his omission from the awards ceremony. And we all think that he's not a very appealing transfer candidate. I think that there is a chance that he is simply quitting. Maybe his body is breaking down because of his injury issues. I think it's an interesting case, because neither transferring nor quitting make much sense. I don't see why he wouldn't want to play at MU next year but I think at this point that's not going to happen. The whole thing doesn't make much sense, we'll see how it plays out.

Next time you see ST at the RecPlex, show him this post before you play against him.  Let us know how the ensuing game unfolds.  I'm joking, of course.

What I get out of this thread is that ST is a nice guy and knows his level and when to tone it down.  He also must not have a hugh ego where he has to show off and dominate others that are not at his level.  Wish he was sticking around.

We had a neighbor girl who always had to win at things.  When she was a teenager she had to beat the little kids such as preschoolers.  Seems that ST is the type of guy who would let the little kids win and apply the same to the rest of us mortals.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:56:08 PM by GOO »

MrSquido50

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 01:59:35 PM »
Back in the 70's when I played in pickup games at the Rec we sometimes got in to games with players from the championship team.  So I got to play with Ulice, Rosie and Boylan.  Never any of the heavyweights like Bo or Butch. But every once in a while you'd get in a game with Majerus.  Dirtiest player EVER.  Grabbing at your crotch, pulling your shorts down, putting a well placed knee in an uncomfortable spot.  And sweating on you with who knows what flowing out of that body of his.  God, I miss that guy!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 02:21:28 PM »
In undergrad, there was a walk-on for my low mid-major team who was at the very end of the bench. Wasn't very "good". But at the rec, he was an absolute animal, dunking on everyone. I once saw him dismantle a team of football players, all who could have played D2 or D3 basketball if not for football, but he has easily over 20 points and was an absolute menace. This collection of guys also played the highest level intramurals and my buddy who played on the team was undefeated his 4 years.

So to echo what's been said, yeah, these guys are REALLY good. And that was a walk on for a bad team. Guys like Steve could sleepwalk through domination. Beloved benchwarmers Rob Frozena would likely destroy most anyone that would show up.

feedback