[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Patent Law - John Oliver  (Read 9337 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Patent Law - John Oliver
« on: April 20, 2015, 07:48:23 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3bxcc3SM_KA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3bxcc3SM_KA</a>

GGGG

• All American
Re: Patent Law - John Oliver
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 09:41:04 PM »
I have a friend who was involved with a biotech startup.  He spent two years dealing with a patent troll case that was filed in that exact court in Marshall, Texas.  He had to spend about three months out there and they ended up losing, but it was overturned on appeal.  Eventually they sold out and made some cash, but he said it wasn't quite what he expected when he signed on. 

brandx

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 09:51:05 PM »
Just one more reason to Eat the Rich!

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 08:55:36 AM »

I don't know why this has to be a right-left political issue.

There's nothing right-wing about rent-seeking. There's nothing left-wing about it either. This should be an 80/20 issue.

I mean, does anyone really like Microsoft, right or left? Etc.?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 09:39:33 AM »

If by "rich" you mean "trial lawyers," then sure.

You do realize that trial lawyers are among the largest donor and contributors to left-wing candidates & causes, n'est-ce pas?

If anything, this only goes to show that being "rich" favors no end of the political spectrum.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brandx

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 11:03:32 AM »
If by "rich" you mean "trial lawyers," then sure.

You do realize that trial lawyers are among the largest donor and contributors to left-wing candidates & causes, n'est-ce pas?

If anything, this only goes to show that being "rich" favors no end of the political spectrum.

Humor doesn't work well here, apparently. It was an old Aerosmith song.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 11:24:44 AM »
Eh, it came in a little too close to something we might have expected you to say. That's why the humor was lost. Can't land 'em all.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 01:53:03 PM »

Aerosmith?!?  Any Titanic references you want to throw at us as long as we're hitting these phenomena at the height of their popularity?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 02:04:42 PM »

Rats. I was hoping you were quoting the Krokus classic.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 02:05:43 PM »
Aerosmith?!?  Any Titanic references you want to throw at us as long as we're hitting these phenomena at the height of their popularity?

His president/My American Cousin reference had been used in another thread so he had to improvise
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 05:20:33 PM »
I have a very conservative republican, wealthy client who first made a killing by buying up highly discounted RTC (savings and loan crash) loan packages, and collecting very handsome profits by working the loans/collections and exercising the Doench D'hume strong arm rights provided by federal law. Then he played in office buildings and condos...getting out with more profits before 2008.

Since then he has funded a trial lawyer firm that patent trolls with multiple suits filed in Marshall, Texas. He buys the patents, forms the ownership company, and underwrites the expenses of suits. They have split very handsome takes from their joint business.

Is this a right or left issue? Not Really. The arch conservative republican still doles his winnings to the right and enjoys his winnings from governmental programs/loopholes...hoping the trough keeps getting fed....vs.... the partner trial lawyer who'll feed democratic coffers to keep the courthouse doors open to his pursuits.

Money has no object in the politics of special interests, other than to preserve their pipeline. Whomever promises and delivers to the money gets the support; neither side of this story stands above reproach.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

brandx

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 09:32:09 PM »

It was a joke, moron!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 07:40:31 AM »
It was a joke, moron!

Pretty sure his was too.  Bit irritable today?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 08:44:33 AM »
I have a very conservative republican, wealthy client who first made a killing by buying up highly discounted RTC (savings and loan crash) loan packages, and collecting very handsome profits by working the loans/collections and exercising the Doench D'hume strong arm rights provided by federal law. Then he played in office buildings and condos...getting out with more profits before 2008.

Since then he has funded a trial lawyer firm that patent trolls with multiple suits filed in Marshall, Texas. He buys the patents, forms the ownership company, and underwrites the expenses of suits. They have split very handsome takes from their joint business.

Is this a right or left issue? Not Really. The arch conservative republican still doles his winnings to the right and enjoys his winnings from governmental programs/loopholes...hoping the trough keeps getting fed....vs.... the partner trial lawyer who'll feed democratic coffers to keep the courthouse doors open to his pursuits.

Money has no object in the politics of special interests, other than to preserve their pipeline. Whomever promises and delivers to the money gets the support; neither side of this story stands above reproach.

This is exactly why I turned into a libertarian. IMO, people like your client are the scum of the earth. No offense to you personally.

Edit:

Can I ask, does this guy go to church and consider himself a Christian? If I had to guess, he probably belongs to some charismatic megachurch.

I see some of this in the very large business that I work in. Religion (specifically, of the megachurch variety) is just some kind of window dressing to affirm your own personal lifestyle preferences. It's just another style.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 08:49:14 AM by Chicago_inferiority_complexes »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 09:37:37 AM »
This is exactly why I turned into a libertarian. IMO, people like your client are the scum of the earth. No offense to you personally.

Edit:

Can I ask, does this guy go to church and consider himself a Christian? If I had to guess, he probably belongs to some charismatic megachurch.

I see some of this in the very large business that I work in. Religion (specifically, of the megachurch variety) is just some kind of window dressing to affirm your own personal lifestyle preferences. It's just another style.

Libertarian isn't all that great either... just like Democrat or Republican, it's all about ideology, not logic.

But I agree with the last point wholeheartedly; some of the slimiest people I've ever worked with professed the megachurch variety of faith.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 10:58:42 AM »
Libertarian isn't all that great either... just like Democrat or Republican, it's all about ideology, not logic.

But I agree with the last point wholeheartedly; some of the slimiest people I've ever worked with professed the megachurch variety of faith.

pragmatic libertarianism is the way to go....get on board with me :)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 11:08:56 AM »

I'm going to disagree with you on this.  While he is obviously legally he is in the clear, I think taking advantage of loopholes, simply to take advantage of the loopholes to make money, isn't the highest moral standard.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 11:34:28 AM »

I'm going to disagree with you on this.  While he is obviously legally he is in the clear, I think taking advantage of loopholes, simply to take advantage of the loopholes to make money, isn't the highest moral standard.

People like the one described above, convince themselves by saying.  I am providing for my family, they need a nice house , need a private education, need life experiences like going to Europe and Hawaii...If I don't take care of them no one will, people are jealous of OUR success...my taxes go to people who buy crack, and drive Cadillacs...I am a good person,  I give money to my church, I clean up the occasional park or take my family to feed the homeless.

The rest of the world be damned, because it is only about ME and MINE.  Sad, more and more people think like this, don't see themselves as a part of larger communities, all about getting yours, f everyone else.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 12:06:43 PM »

Swanson 2016.

Q: "Why does government matter?" A: "It doesn't."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 01:55:02 PM »

In other words, a Modern Whig.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 01:58:16 PM »
In other words, a Modern Whig.

Those are most definitely my people.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 02:31:28 PM »

Actually, I think we agree...I said "neither side is above reproach"...

...my polite way of noting both my right leaning client and his lefty trial lawyer buddy profit by gaming the patent troll system...this is something that should bother folks of all leanings...but we lack the money contributions/lobbying (ie free speech) to change it. lol
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 05:48:34 PM »
Got it. And we do agree!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 08:39:27 AM »

I'm going to disagree with you on this.  While he is obviously legally he is in the clear, I think taking advantage of loopholes, simply to take advantage of the loopholes to make money, isn't the highest moral standard.

Do not disagree, but I view somewhat like hackers working for the gov't.  Sometimes those that expose the loopholes should  be cheered because then the loopholes can be closed.  It also shows how often laws and policies are so damn poorly written.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 09:19:49 AM »
Do not disagree, but I view somewhat like hackers working for the gov't.  Sometimes those that expose the loopholes should  be cheered because then the loopholes can be closed.  It also shows how often laws and policies are so damn poorly written.

I think the distinction here is that the loophole isn't being closed.  The problem is that patent trolls have a sort of "skunk defense," even if you trap one in a cage, nobody wants to go near it.

Example - One of my wife's good friends from law school is a patent attorney.  I don't know how she skated through law school but she must have a perfect 24-hour memory or something, because anyone with an IQ greater than a rutabaga would be stabbing out their eardrums after talking to her for 10 seconds.

Evidently, she got hired at one of the top IP/patent firms in San Fran... made partner in something ridiculous like less than two years.  Seriously, after 30 seconds, every neuron in your brain is trying to figure out how to jar a clot loose in your carotid artery.

I suppose a reference to the adage of "fighting fire with fire" is apropos here.  Maybe that's why we keep electing morons into political office hoping they'll clean up the other morons.