[Today at 02:05:24 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by We R Final Four
[Today at 01:59:35 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Pete Rose back in baseball, sort of!  (Read 5112 times)

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
Re: Pete Rose back in baseball, sort of!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:28:39 AM »
Sunday Night Baseball was talking about Rose during the Cards/Reds game last night.  With the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year, I'm sure we'll see more of Pete.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 11:32:04 AM »
Good.   He has been punished long enough.    Put him in the Hall.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 11:33:17 AM »

John Hinckley on Saturday, now Pete Rose......

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 06:35:39 PM »

Completely disagree.  Lifetime ban.  Nothing compromises the integrity of the game the players betting on it, except for the manager betting on it.  I say keep him out.  It is very well understood what gambling on baseball gets you.  He knew what he was doing, and did it anyways.  Really, I don't understand the groundswell to get him in. 

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 06:38:09 PM »
Completely disagree.  Lifetime ban.  Nothing compromises the integrity of the game the players betting on it, except for the manager betting on it.  I say keep him out.  It is very well understood what gambling on baseball gets you.  He knew what he was doing, and did it anyways.  Really, I don't understand the groundswell to get him in. 

Ummmmmm, because the HoF is simply a museum and Rose is the all-time hits leader?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 06:41:19 PM »
Rose should get in when the term of his ban is over.  When he is dead.

He bet on baseball as a manager and then repeatedly lied about it.  Don't feel sorry for him in the least.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 07:24:15 PM »
Mortal sin in sports....absolutely, positively, cannot...ever...ever...ever bet on your sport.  Then when you lie about it, you're just doubling down.  Sorry Pete.  You were wrong, punishments are there for a reason. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 08:09:25 PM »
Let him in. Never bet against his own team. If you bet on your own team so what? Who does it hurt?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 08:18:52 PM »
Let him in. Never bet against his own team. If you bet on your own team so what? Who does it hurt?

The issue with gambling isn't that it impacts how a manager (or player) performs with respect to their team, but if they rack up losses, they might be indebted to someone to throw a game or shave points.

It is a complete no no in college or professional sports.  Impacts the very integrity of the game.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 09:03:11 PM »
Rose should get in when the term of his ban is over.  When he is dead.

He bet on baseball as a manager and then repeatedly lied about it.  Don't feel sorry for him in the least.

Insert Barry Bonds, et al in here.  The cheaters changed the betting dynamics and should be banned for life as well. No difference, in fact, one could argue this was worse in terms of the betting implications and compromising the good of the game. But, that is Bud's legacy.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 10:17:37 PM »
He agreed to a LIFETIME BAN.   Not a semi-lifetime ban. 

When do we put Shoeless Joe in the Hall....he's suffered enough...and he's dead.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 11:11:53 AM »
He agreed to a LIFETIME BAN.   Not a semi-lifetime ban. 

When do we put Shoeless Joe in the Hall....he's suffered enough...and he's dead.

I don't think either should get in.  How do you know Rose didn't bet against his own team?  And betting on your team when you are a manager is bad since you may alter the way you manage a game (using a tired reliever etc) to the detriment of your season.

That said, if Rose gets in eventually, it is not the worst thing in the world.  Jackson, on the other hand, took money to lose World Series games on purpose.  That is absolutely unforgivable.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 12:07:03 PM »
I heard on the radio this morning that he has secretly been meeting with new MLB President Manfred.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 12:10:55 PM »
It's the worst HOF in sports (admittance-wise), let him in.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 12:21:33 PM »
It's the worst HOF in sports (admittance-wise), let him in.

Folks been to other sports HOF?  Been to all the big ones Football, Baseball, and basketball.  Basketball by far was most depressing, followed by football then Cooperstown.  The fact the C'Town, as a whole town is geeked for baseball I think adds to the nostalgia. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 12:26:58 PM »
Folks been to other sports HOF?  Been to all the big ones Football, Baseball, and basketball.  Basketball by far was most depressing, followed by football then Cooperstown.  The fact the C'Town, as a whole town is geeked for baseball I think adds to the nostalgia. 

I think the HOF itself is great, but it's a crapshow when it comes to the process of getting in and the controversy around it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 12:27:24 PM »

Heard the hockey HOF in Toronto is the best of all of them and it's not even close. Never been, that's just what I've heard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 12:30:03 PM »

I would agree, but I think they all kinda suck. 

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 04:11:43 PM »
I love baseball but the HOF is such a mess.  The whole thing is about controversy of who gets in and who doesn't before it's about celebrating the players
Larry Walker can't get in because he played in Coors Field.
Tim Raines can't get in?? He went six years in a row getting over 180 hits.  Good lord what a bunch of jerks they have running things.
Greg Maddux isn't a unanimous first balloter? 
Just put the best players in and let people talk about the player's careers and not the stupid system.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 04:15:17 PM »
Heard the hockey HOF in Toronto is the best of all of them and it's not even close. Never been, that's just what I've heard.

I've been to the Basketball HOF in Springfield, MA, Cooperstown and the Hockey HOF.  I liked them all, probably baseball & hockey more so than the basketball HOF.  However, the Basketball HOF is way way better than it was since they opened the new building about a dozen years ago.  

Does the Rock & Roll HOF count?  I've been there too.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 04:58:47 PM »
I've been to the Basketball HOF in Springfield, MA, Cooperstown and the Hockey HOF.  I liked them all, probably baseball & hockey more so than the basketball HOF.  However, the Basketball HOF is way way better than it was since they opened the new building about a dozen years ago. 

Does the Rock & Roll HOF count?  I've been there too.

Nothing in Cleveland counts. Nothing good has ever come out of Cleveland.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 08:22:37 PM »

Dortmunder Gold.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 08:33:35 PM »

Tony Miller was OK.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 09:35:43 PM »
I've been to the Basketball HOF in Springfield, MA, Cooperstown and the Hockey HOF.  I liked them all, probably baseball & hockey more so than the basketball HOF.  However, the Basketball HOF is way way better than it was since they opened the new building about a dozen years ago.  

Does the Rock & Roll HOF count?  I've been there too.

How was that? I'm likely headed to Cleveland for a conference this summer. Is that worth my time?

feedback