[Today at 07:05:03 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:25:51 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Boston Folks?  (Read 12457 times)

mubb34

• Team Captain
Boston Folks?
« on: April 19, 2015, 06:23:07 PM »
I will be heading to the Boston area for the first time in May. Does anyone have suggestions for food, attractions etc.?

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
Re: Boston Folks?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 07:23:05 PM »
I always drop into The Union Oyster House. One of the oldest restaurants in Boston and decent seafood. Ask for Jack Kennedy's booth

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 08:21:52 PM »
Don't forget to pahk ya kah in hahvahd yahd!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 08:58:26 PM »
Maurizzo's, North End.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 09:00:45 PM »
How long are you going for? Where are you staying? Who are you going with? What do you like to do/see/eat/drink? Let me know so I can be more specific. But there's no doubt you'll love Boston, but here's just a few suggestions.

I personally think the best thing to do in Boston is to walk. Boston is one of the most walkable cities in the country and its a great place to go explore. Do yourself a favor and just walk for a few hours, get lost(which is almost unavoidable for outsiders) and take it all in.

1. Go see Fenway. If it's a gameday just go over there and walk down yawkey way and landsdown street. If the Sox are not in town then take a tour, its about an hour and not too expensive, maybe 1o or 15 bucks.

2. Go to Harvard Square. Cambridge is awesome, and Harvard is quite the place to see. Don't take a corny tour, just walk through Harvard Yard, go down to the Charles river, and walk around Harvard square. Lot's of great restaurants over there but my favorite is Felipe's for burritos/tacos/quesadillas. I'd also recommend Bartley's. It's a hole in the wall burger joint that has been there for years. Real old school Harvard square place that's really small, you usually sit at shared tables, and they have a ton of cool paraphernalia on the walls.

3. Go to the North End. It's Boston's historic Italian neighborhood right next to downtown. Ton's of great restaurants and a real cool neighborhood with brick sidewalks and old apartments, and Paul Revere's house. Hanover st is the main street, but if you are looking for pizza go to Regina's. It's almost 100 years old and really well known so expect to wait in line. But I promise you it's worth the wait. If you are looking for pasta there are unlimited options, I've eaten at a dozen places over there and I've never had a bad meal. And get some pastries before you leave at either Bova, Mike's, or Modern.

4. Go to the "top of the hub" which is an observation deck at the top of the Prudential tower, Bostons 2nd tallest building. It's maybe $15-20 and an amazing view. They also have a fancy restaurant up there but I wouldn't recommend it. It's overpriced and there are plenty of other better places.

5. Sam Adam's brewery tour. I've never done it but I've heard a lot of good things about it. But there is a bar in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood called Doyle's, that does a special with Sam Adams. Doyle's is a pretty well known classic Boston Irish bar that's been the same for a number of years. I believe you go to Doyle's first have a beer, then they take you on a shuttle to the Sam Adams brewery, and then they take you back to Doyle's where you hang out and have a couple more beers.

I could go on with more recommendations for days, but tell me what your interests are. Also, I have a million restaurant recommendations so tell me what you like to eat, and I'll know of the best place to go.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 09:19:05 PM »
Stay along or very near the T.

Skip Regina's, IMHO. If you do go, you're going just to say you've been there.

Neptune Oyster. Small place. Drop your name on the waiting list, you'll probably wait 1-2 hours. Walk around Little Italy or even to Faneuil Hall, visit Paul Revere's house, then go back to have some awesome seafood from a small kitchen.

Mike's is okay. Modern pastry is better, IMHO.
If you can get to Clear Flour Bread, that's an awesome bakery and patisserie.
It's not a touristy place but a local's fave.

Definitely go to Fenway.

If you can, visit Plimouth Plantation. Great re-creation of the settlement.

On my return visit, I need to see the Kennedy Museum, Adams' birthplaces and Fall River.

SS Marquette

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 09:32:53 PM »
Stay along or very near the T.

Skip Regina's, IMHO. If you do go, you're going just to say you've been there.

Neptune Oyster. Small place. Drop your name on the waiting list, you'll probably wait 1-2 hours. Walk around Little Italy or even to Faneuil Hall, visit Paul Revere's house, then go back to have some awesome seafood from a small kitchen.

Mike's is okay. Modern pastry is better, IMHO.
If you can get to Clear Flour Bread, that's an awesome bakery and patisserie.
It's not a touristy place but a local's fave.

Definitely go to Fenway.

If you can, visit Plimouth Plantation. Great re-creation of the settlement.

On my return visit, I need to see the Kennedy Museum, Adams' birthplaces and Fall River.

I know Regina's is a touristy place to go, and as a local I hate that crap. But I really can't deny how good the pizza is. However, I think Santarpio's in East Boston has the best pizza in the city. Definitely more out of the way for a tourist, but if you want a hole in the wall place with a lot of Boston attitude and amazing pizza go there.

I agree about Flour, my dad's a chocolate chip cookie fiend, and he thinks they have some of the best in the city. I usually go to the one in the south end on Washington st.

I've always preferred Mike's over modern. The long lines of tourists piss me off, so as a local is usually push through and go right up to the front. Mike's has a big selection and has something for everyone. I do also like Bova though, which is a smaller place on Salem street, much more of a local's place.

And honestly, I think Plymouth Plantation is the biggest letdown in the world. Some people may like it but I think it's kind of a joke. To me it seems really fake and its an hour from Boston.

I'd highly recommend seeing the Adam's family historical sites in my hometown of Quincy. Just a few minutes from Boston on the red line. They have a trolley that will take you to the birthplaces, the family mansion, and where they are buried today in the Church of Presidents.

And they just added onto the Kennedy museum. They made a new building/exhibit for Ted Kennedy who was an amazing man. I haven't seen it yet but I've heard good things.

What's the interest in Fall River, Battleship Cove? Not a ton to see in Fall River, it's an industrial city an hour south of Boston. But I've been to Battleship Cove and it's a pretty good take. Impressive collection of warships.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 10:10:28 PM »
Dinner at No Name

Beers at Grendl's

Mayflower Poultry for panties

Death on call

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 10:23:50 PM »
Dinner at No Name

Beers at Grendl's

Mayflower Poultry for panties
If you go to Grendel's stop by Charlie's Kitchen next door for a $5 double cheeseburger special and a few beers at their beer garden

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 10:25:50 PM »
Do the Freedom Trail walk

Go to the Cheer's Bar

Also there's the main street with the shopping that connects Boston Common with the John Hancock center (I think that's what it's called, the two skyscrapers that are somewhat far-removed from the rest).  There is also a mall inside of there and an observation deck, too.

EDIT: Also, if you are able, check out the Kennedy house in Brookline (Brookshire?), a close suburb of Boston
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:29:07 PM by Eldon »

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 12:44:11 AM »
I know Regina's is a touristy place to go, and as a local I hate that crap. But I really can't deny how good the pizza is. However, I think Santarpio's in East Boston has the best pizza in the city. Definitely more out of the way for a tourist, but if you want a hole in the wall place with a lot of Boston attitude and amazing pizza go there.

I agree about Flour, my dad's a chocolate chip cookie fiend, and he thinks they have some of the best in the city. I usually go to the one in the south end on Washington st.

I've always preferred Mike's over modern. The long lines of tourists piss me off, so as a local is usually push through and go right up to the front. Mike's has a big selection and has something for everyone. I do also like Bova though, which is a smaller place on Salem street, much more of a local's place.

And honestly, I think Plymouth Plantation is the biggest letdown in the world. Some people may like it but I think it's kind of a joke. To me it seems really fake and its an hour from Boston.

I'd highly recommend seeing the Adam's family historical sites in my hometown of Quincy. Just a few minutes from Boston on the red line. They have a trolley that will take you to the birthplaces, the family mansion, and where they are buried today in the Church of Presidents.

And they just added onto the Kennedy museum. They made a new building/exhibit for Ted Kennedy who was an amazing man. I haven't seen it yet but I've heard good things.

What's the interest in Fall River, Battleship Cove? Not a ton to see in Fall River, it's an industrial city an hour south of Boston. But I've been to Battleship Cove and it's a pretty good take. Impressive collection of warships.

Regina had a good crisp to their pizza. The mozz was good and the pizza was good. But you know what happens when people continue to hype a place: it just sets it up for some type of disappointment. The wait, luckily, was small because we got there early. Like before the dinner rush early.

Mike's does have a lot to offer. And a staff to support the number of customers. But I should have clarified that I'm not a cannoli fan. at. all.

The croissants and bread from Clear are simply outstanding. My sister has to bring back boxes for us when she comes back home.

I liked Plimouth. As a teacher in California...so removed from the location of early American Colonial history... I'm biased. ;p

Fall River? Other than the battleships, some of the best Portuguese food this side of the Atlantic or the Azores. ;)
SS Marquette

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 01:03:52 AM »
I always drop into The Union Oyster House. One of the oldest restaurants in Boston and decent seafood. Ask for Jack Kennedy's booth

Union Oyster House is excellent. Definitely second that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 08:22:55 AM »
Do the Freedom Trail walk

Go to the Cheer's Bar

Also there's the main street with the shopping that connects Boston Common with the John Hancock center (I think that's what it's called, the two skyscrapers that are somewhat far-removed from the rest).  There is also a mall inside of there and an observation deck, too.

EDIT: Also, if you are able, check out the Kennedy house in Brookline (Brookshire?), a close suburb of Boston

I'd recommend the Freedom Trail Walk as it covers the things you know in Boston from "Make way for the ducklings" & Boston Common through the Boston Massacre site, Quincy Market, the Old North Church to Bunker Hill.  Plus on the Trail you will walk very near Cheers, past the Union Oyster House & through the North End (Little Italy section & Paul Revere's House) as mentioned by others so you have plenty of good food options.

I loved my family visit to Quincy to visit the Adams Family Homestead.  I don't know how long you have in Boston, but plan a half day here if you Quincy. 

Boston is very walkable, but I agree if you can stay near a T-line you'll have a lot more options. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 11:05:32 AM »
Lots of good stuff in here,  and to each their own,  been living here for about 12 years now,  and love love it.  Skip Cheers,  it's  kinda lame and touristy. Same with Top of the Hub,  again just my opinion.

Will try not to repeat,  but check out Fanieul Hall,  the USS Constitution,  the Paul Revere House in the North End is pretty cool too.  If time and a car allows,  Rockport/Gloucester is a great day trip.  Walk up and down Newbury Street

Other great eating and drinking in Boston.  The Bleacher Bar,  it's actually built into the side of Fenway Park,  with a huge garage door that overlooks the field.   The Harpoon Tasting Room (Harpoon is better than Sam IMHO), but the tasting room gas a bunch of taps only available there,  and epic homemade pretzels.   Sam LaGrassas has a great pastrami sangwich.   PM me with any questions.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 11:11:46 AM »
How long are you going for? Where are you staying? Who are you going with? What do you like to do/see/eat/drink? Let me know so I can be more specific. But there's no doubt you'll love Boston, but here's just a few suggestions.

I personally think the best thing to do in Boston is to walk. Boston is one of the most walkable cities in the country and its a great place to go explore. Do yourself a favor and just walk for a few hours, get lost(which is almost unavoidable for outsiders) and take it all in.

1. Go see Fenway. If it's a gameday just go over there and walk down yawkey way and landsdown street. If the Sox are not in town then take a tour, its about an hour and not too expensive, maybe 1o or 15 bucks.

2. Go to Harvard Square. Cambridge is awesome, and Harvard is quite the place to see. Don't take a corny tour, just walk through Harvard Yard, go down to the Charles river, and walk around Harvard square. Lot's of great restaurants over there but my favorite is Felipe's for burritos/tacos/quesadillas. I'd also recommend Bartley's. It's a hole in the wall burger joint that has been there for years. Real old school Harvard square place that's really small, you usually sit at shared tables, and they have a ton of cool paraphernalia on the walls.

3. Go to the North End. It's Boston's historic Italian neighborhood right next to downtown. Ton's of great restaurants and a real cool neighborhood with brick sidewalks and old apartments, and Paul Revere's house. Hanover st is the main street, but if you are looking for pizza go to Regina's. It's almost 100 years old and really well known so expect to wait in line. But I promise you it's worth the wait. If you are looking for pasta there are unlimited options, I've eaten at a dozen places over there and I've never had a bad meal. And get some pastries before you leave at either Bova, Mike's, or Modern.

4. Go to the "top of the hub" which is an observation deck at the top of the Prudential tower, Bostons 2nd tallest building. It's maybe $15-20 and an amazing view. They also have a fancy restaurant up there but I wouldn't recommend it. It's overpriced and there are plenty of other better places.

5. Sam Adam's brewery tour. I've never done it but I've heard a lot of good things about it. But there is a bar in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood called Doyle's, that does a special with Sam Adams. Doyle's is a pretty well known classic Boston Irish bar that's been the same for a number of years. I believe you go to Doyle's first have a beer, then they take you on a shuttle to the Sam Adams brewery, and then they take you back to Doyle's where you hang out and have a couple more beers.

I could go on with more recommendations for days, but tell me what your interests are. Also, I have a million restaurant recommendations so tell me what you like to eat, and I'll know of the best place to go.

Just don't wear any Yankee gear...you may not get out alive!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 11:37:37 AM »
If you go to Grendel's stop by Charlie's Kitchen next door for a $5 double cheeseburger special and a few beers at their beer garden

I second Charlie's but out-of-towners should get the double lobster roll. The beer garden must be a new addition.

Death on call

mubb34

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. We will be in Ithaca,NY on the way out and our "home base" for the trip will be at a timeshare in southern NH ( 6 days). ( 1 ½ hour outside of Boston). We also have a one night stay in Cambridge. Fenway is already in the plans as is kayaking down the Charles River. Sam's Adams brewery is also in the plans, and we were thinking about a day trip up to Chatam/Provincetown. Any feedback on those cities?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 06:42:53 PM »
Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. We will be in Ithaca,NY on the way out and our "home base" for the trip will be at a timeshare in southern NH ( 6 days). ( 1 ½ hour outside of Boston). We also have a one night stay in Cambridge. Fenway is already in the plans as is kayaking down the Charles River. Sam's Adams brewery is also in the plans, and we were thinking about a day trip up to Chatam/Provincetown. Any feedback on those cities?

Skip Provincetown. Falmouth and Hyannis are better and much closer

Death on call

reinko

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 07:03:09 PM »
Skip Provincetown. Falmouth and Hyannis are better and much closer

+1,  but I'm a North Shore guy,  so I still vote for Rockport and Gloucester  8-)

If in southern NH,  go to the Redhook brewery in Portsmouth.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 07:05:33 PM »
Go to Maine!

It's not that far, Allagash brewery in Portland is close. The lobstah rolls kick MA's arse. The oysters and seafood...droooool.

Beautiful state. Will go back again!
SS Marquette

mubb34

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 07:45:20 PM »
+1,  but I'm a North Shore guy,  so I still vote for Rockport and Gloucester  8-)

If in southern NH,  go to the Redhook brewery in Portsmouth.

Im a fishing guy and I hear Gloucester is charter country?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 07:50:54 PM »

I don't know about fishing charters out of Gloucester but Falmouth is purpose built for sport charters.

Since you are coming from up north Gloucester might be the better choice as Reinko is right in saying it is worth visiting.

Death on call

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 08:59:52 PM »
If your in Southern NH, definitely don't waste your time going all the way out to Ptown. Its probably 4+ hours. Ptown is definitely a reasonable destination because it's a really unique place with a lot of history as a fishing community and gay community. It's also beautiful, but you should definitely go to Maine. Not far for you to go and I'd recommend anywhere on the southern Maine coast like York, Ogonquit, Kennybunkport, or Portland. I go to York every summer and it's beautiful, decent main st, long sands beach is amazing, and definitely go out to Nubble Lighthouse(I believe that it's the most photographed lighthouse in the country).

Portsmouth is also a nice historic city in New Hampshire just 10 minutes south of York. Great restaurants, and a nice downtown on the water.

And I think that Gloucester, Rockport, and those towns on the North Shore are a good take, but I'd say Maine is better.

Don't leave without getting a lobster roll and clam chowder, and definitely get a fried New England seafood platter. Usually a pile of Fried clams, haddock, calamari, and scallops served over French fries.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 09:40:41 PM »
no nudie bars in Boston, you have to go to Providence for that action.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 07:17:37 AM »

2nd all the folks about southern Maine.  Just gorgeous. 

As for fishing, have taken this a few times, and nothing but good things: http://www.gloucesterfleet.com/

Also, favorite clam join up that way is JT Farnhams in Essex.  Not much better living than a cold Harpoon & fresh fried clam bellies.

feedback