'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Neenah’s Heldt named boys’ basketball player of year  (Read 11688 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Neenah’s Heldt named boys’ basketball player of year
« on: April 19, 2015, 02:43:56 PM »
See the highlight part ... I can't wait to see him this fall!

Neenah’s Heldt named boys’ basketball player of year
6:39 p.m. CDT April 18, 2015

http://www.postcrescent.com/story/sports/high-school/basketball/2015/04/18/neenahs-heldt-named-boys-basketball-player-year/26008153/

It’s hard to miss Matt Heldt on the court.

The 6-foot-10 post player has been a fixture for the Neenah boys’ basketball team the past several years as the Rockets put together one of the more successful runs in the school’s recent history.

The Marquette University recruit was a force in the paint offensively and defensively this season and helped the Rockets reach the sectional semifinals, where they fell to eventual Division 1 state champion Stevens Point on a last-second shot.

His fantastic overall play has earned him Athlete of the Year honors for boys’ basketball by Post-Crescent Media.

Q: You guys had a tough ending to your season, losing to Stevens Point on a last-second shot in the sectionals. SPASH went on to win the state title. Do you ever wonder what might have been?

A: I think that it definitely could’ve been us. We were the closest game they had all playoffs and gave them the best competition. What happened, happened, and it’s not good to really dwell on it. SPASH is a great team that got the best of us that game.

Q: How much has your game evolved the past several years? What would you like to improve as you reach the collegiate level?

A: My versatility has increased. Now I’m a lot more comfortable shooting threes and putting the ball on the floor. I’ve gotten much stronger as well, weighing around 215-225 my junior year to being 240 now. My strength is what I would want to improve most moving up to the collegiate level.

Q: Because you’re a high-profile player, you were a target of most opposing teams’ fans during games. What did you do to focus on the game and not on the other team’s jeers?

A: I was never really affected by that stuff. First of all, it’s usually pretty hard to hear when there’s so much noise. It’s also just something that has never bothered me. I know it's all just part of the sport and the fans don’t really hate me that much.

Q: What’s the best memory from your time on the Neenah basketball team?

A: Playing alongside my teammates every night. I loved going to battle with these guys every game.

Q: Why was Marquette the right fit for you? How excited are you to play at the next level?

A: Coach Wojo is the perfect coach for me. I know he will use my strengths and help me with my weaknesses. Marquette University has everything I want in a school and I cannot wait to be on campus. I am ecstatic to have the opportunity to play high level college basketball.

This and that

Q: What are some hobbies for you? What do you do to relax?

A: Hanging with my friends. I love chilling with the Neenah guys.

Q: When you open the refrigerator, what’s the first thing you hope you see?

A: Chocolate milk.

Q: If you could acquire one talent, what do you wish it would be?

A: Dancing.

Some of his favorites

TV show: “Archer.”

Movie: “ESPN 30 for 30: Len Bias.”

School subject: Psychology.

Musical artist: Wiz Khalifa.

Meal prepared by mom: “Any kind of pasta.”

NBA player: Hakeem Olajuwon.

What his coach says

“Recently a former Neenah player made the comment to me about how happy he was to see the Einerson Fieldhouse filled like it was during his time. That’s a credit to Matt and his teammates for producing the kind of success they have had over the past three years. But it’s also a testament to the kind of impact they have had on our community. Matt and his teammates were easy for our community to get behind and support because of how they carried themselves both on and off the floor. Matt is a role model for all the young players in our Hoops Club program.

“We will miss Matt on the floor obviously. His stats alone place him as one of the best of all time on the floor in the history of Neenah basketball, and we have been blessed to have some pretty special players over the years. But Matt’s understanding of the impact he could have on our youth in the district and for our program as a whole clearly places him at a whole different level. He is a special young man and he will go on to do great things in his life.” — Neenah head coach Scott Bork

— Ricardo Arguello: 920-993-1000, ext. 558, or rarguello@postcrescent.com; on Twitter @PCRicardo

A CLOSER LOOK

Year: Senior.

Height: 6-foot-10.

Position: Forward/center.

Family: Parents, Andy and Wendy; Brother, Chad; sister, Gina.

Notable: Marquette recruit. … Neenah’s all-time leading scorer. … Averaged 19.1 points per game and shot 68 percent from the field (182-of-267). … Also pulled down 8.9 rebounds per game and averaged 2.0 blocks. … Was a unanimous first-team all-Fox Valley Association selection and the conference’s player of the year. ... Was a first-team Associated Press all-state selection and a unanimous Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association all-state first-team selection in Division 1.

2014-2015 POST-CRESCENT MEDIA ALL-AREA BOYS’ BASKETBALL TEAM

FIRST TEAM

Matt Heldt, Sr., Neenah, 6-10, forward/center: Athlete of the Year, see D1.

Ben Boots, Sr., Kimberly, 6-2, guard: Was a unanimous first-team all-Fox Valley Association selection. … Averaged 14.8 points per game, 3.5 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 1.2 steals per game. … Helped lead Kimberly to the Division 1 sectional final, where it fell to Germantown 54-47. … Was an honorable mention selection to the Associated Press all-state team. … Was also a first-team Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association all-state pick in Division 1.

Carter Belling, Sr., Kaukauna, 6-1, guard: Committed to St. Leo University in Florida. … Was a first-team all-Fox Valley Association selection. … Averaged 13.2 points per game and shot 46 percent from the field. … Also shot 38 percent from 3-point and averaged 2.9 assists. … Was a first-team WBCA all-state pick in Division 2. … Was an honorable mention selection on the AP all-state team.

Sam Burkart, Jr., Xavier, 5-10, guard: Was a unanimous first-team Eastern Valley Conference pick and the conference’s player of the year. … Averaged 15 points, 5.2 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game. … Was a first-team WBCA all-state pick in Division 3. … Was an honorable mention selection on the AP all-state team. ... Helped lead the Hawks to the WIAA Division 3 state championship game.

Tyler Lemke, Sr., Brillion, 6-3, guard/forward: Averaged 13.8 points and 4.4 rebounds per game in leading the Lions to the sectional finals. … Was a first-team all-Olympian Conference pick. … Was a first-team all-WBCA all-state pick in Division 4.

SECOND TEAM

Collin Hofacker, Sr., Freedom, 6-2, guard: Was a first-team all-Eastern Valley Conference selection. … Averaged 12.2 points, 4.7 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game. … Will be attending the University of Iowa on a track and field scholarship.

Jordan McCabe, Fr., Kaukauna, 5-11, guard: Averaged 14.2 points and 4.8 assists per game this season. … Was a second-team all-FVA selection.

Brayden Wilinski, Jr., Seymour, 6-4, guard/forward: Was a unanimous first-team all-Bay Conference selection. … Averaged 14.9 points and 9 rebounds per game.

Matt Kinderman, Sr., Xavier, 6-0, guard: Averaged 13 points, seven rebounds and 2.6 assists for the Hawks. … Was a second-team all-Eastern Valley Conference selection.

Trevor Entwisle, Sr., Neenah, 5-11, point guard: Averaged 9.7 points per game and had 118 assists. … Was a second-team all-Fox Valley Association selection.

HONORABLE MENTION

Andrew Connelly, Sr., Freedom; Dylan Pankow, Jr., Weyauwega-Fremont; Nate Schmidt, So., Shiocton; Jose Alicea, Sr., Seymour; Tyler Johnson, Sr., Menasha; Zac Haese, Jr., Wrightstown; Brando Vasquez, Sr., Waupaca; Parker Gloudemans, Jr., Little Chute; Logan Maulick, Sr., Freedom; Tom Johnson, Sr., Xavier; Austin Weyenberg, Sr., Kimberly; Jake Johnson, Sr., Kimberly; Stephen De Cramer, Jr., Wrightstown; Gage Kamp, Jr., Shiocton.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 02:46:48 PM by Lee Heisenberg »

chapman

• All American
Re: Neenah’s Heldt named boys’ basketball player of year
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 04:24:39 PM »
Kaukauna

That whole town still smell?  Always had to hold your breath when driving through. 

brandx

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 04:58:11 PM »
In a small town, mostly small-white-guy conference, he had better be POY.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 05:02:19 PM »
If this basketball thing doesn't pan out for Matt, he could always repurpose that photo for the cover of his country music debut album.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 06:21:09 PM »
if he's up to 240, that makes me very excited. Biggest concern for him was being a string bean. The added muscle should help
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brandx

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 07:02:52 PM »
if he's up to 240, that makes me very excited. Biggest concern for him was being a string bean. The added muscle should help

When I saw him play earlier this year, he was a pretty solid guy, so I don't think all the weight gain was recent.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 07:22:28 PM »
When I saw him play earlier this year, he was a pretty solid guy, so I don't think all the weight gain was recent.

+1. Always been a big boy.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 07:22:42 PM »
He's a good kid. In-laws know him, and I've met him too.  

We are going to be quite good very soon.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 08:49:24 PM »
That whole town still smell?  Always had to hold your breath when driving through. 

This must be the reason:

With all this height, it's like MU is UK North!
SS Marquette

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 09:46:11 PM »
He works out in Kaukauna

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 11:45:45 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgKnm-bdMKw

That was less than a year ago. He was 215 during his junior year. According to the article he's 240 now. That's a significant gain in muscle.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 12:21:44 AM »

That was less than a year ago. He was 215 during his junior year. According to the article he's 240 now. That's a significant gain in muscle.

I hope its muscle

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 12:35:26 AM »
Henry is the prime prospect but something tells me Matt will surprise many.

And years from now people will be saying, "Can you believe it: Matt and Henry were on the same team?"
SS Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 11:53:22 AM »
Neenah's pretty darn close to Green Bay.  Can we expect to see Aaron Rogers at Marquette games next year?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 12:04:25 PM »
Neenah's pretty darn close to Green Bay.  Can we expect to see Aaron Rogers at Marquette games next year?

Make the final four, and I bet he shows up.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 08:31:02 PM »
Make the final four, and I bet he shows up.
The FIBs Frickin Boo him on the Jumbotron---why would he ever show up for that reception?

The only game he doesn't get booed is the Wisky game, cuz there is more than half Bucky fans there.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 08:35:11 PM »
The FIBs Frickin Boo him on the Jumbotron---why would he ever show up for that reception?

The only game he doesn't get booed is the Wisky game, cuz there is more than half Bucky fans there.

Why would he care if he is booed?  Wasn't he in some video that Marquette shot a couple years ago?

He's a big boy.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 08:35:47 PM »

I have never heard him being booed in the BC.  When they show that prerecorded clip of him, everyone goes nuts.
Have some patience, FFS.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 08:41:52 PM »

Why would he care if he is booed? 

This is just dumb----who knows maybe he enjoys it!

What professional athlete doesn't thorougly enjoy being booed at a friendly environment on a day off when searching for entertainment???

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 08:43:56 PM »
This is just dumb----who knows maybe he enjoys it!

I didn't say he enjoyed it.

I said that if he wanted to go to a Marquette game, he wouldn't care if he were booed.  And as warriorchick points out, your theory is wrong anyway.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 09:01:26 PM »
I have never heard him being booed in the BC.  When they show that prerecorded clip of him, everyone goes nuts.
? He gets booed so loudly they stopped playing it!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 09:05:57 PM »

I didn't say he enjoyed it.

I said that if he wanted to go to a Marquette game, he wouldn't care if he were booed.  And as warriorchick points out, your theory is wrong anyway.
He's not going into Soldier Field he going into a place where---based upon doing a PR clip for MU you might think he wouldn't expect to get booed. But he's probably indifferent to it all anyway as you suggest.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 09:14:12 PM »
? He gets booed so loudly they stopped playing it!

Seriously, where are you sitting that you hear booing?  I certainly don't where I sit near midcourt.

Have some patience, FFS.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 09:17:17 PM »
Lower bowl--seriously!

Not too difficult to notice.

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 01:22:06 AM »
I agree with warriorchick, I only heard cheers when he was shown. I sit mid court upper deck so it could be a little different down below. If there were boos, it wasnt loud enough for me to hear.