[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: rules for wearing baseball cap backwards or...  (Read 32726 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: rules for wearing baseball cap backwards or...
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2015, 07:37:34 AM »
This.  And please don't wear them in my house.  Legs Jr actually tried wearing one at the dinner table a few months back.  God, I've become an angry old man.

+1

It's that liberal Holy Cross education.

Way back when, I went through this when I first met my wife --- No hats on at the dinner table.  Now I rarely wear hats period.

My pre-Marquette education involved those Brothers of Holy Cross.  I even had the pleasure of seeing where the order was founded in France.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2015, 08:50:37 AM »
+1

It's that liberal Holy Cross education.

I probably would have let it slide it it was an MU hat...

GOO

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2015, 09:25:55 AM »
No to all.

Plus, you sound like a beret kinda guy.   :D
Maybe I'll be the guy in the beret with the scarf at the BC.... well, maybe not, I can't pull that off without looking like a complete dork.  I can't even pull of the scarf, sadly. 

If one puts on a hat in the morning because there is no time for a shower, the hat should not come off.. period.  To ask someone to take a hat off at the table or inside is rude under those circumstances (although if you're at someone else's house, I guess one follows their rules so that maybe an exception).  Unless it's a UW hat, then all bets are off.

I think not wearing a hat inside or at the table harkens back to another age.  Most of our father's probably had to deal with a no shorts rule at dinner or family gatherings.  No "tennis shoes" in the same circumstances.   And before that one had to wear a suit and tie to almost any public event and even family meals (gotta love those old photos of guys in their suits and ties, in the sun at baseball games).  Anyway, the trend is towards the casual, at least unless ISIS takes over.  Then there will be all sorts of rules we can debate.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2015, 10:10:55 AM »
Haha, I brought this topic up with a younger (40) female friend, who told me that backwards caps are ok under any circumstances if the wearer feels like wearing it that way, and it's also now acceptable to wear caps indoors most places (especially in bars).  Those old manners rules we learned are now out the window.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2015, 10:21:26 AM »
Haha, I brought this topic up with a younger (40) female friend, who told me that backwards caps are ok under any circumstances if the wearer feels like wearing it that way, and it's also now acceptable to wear caps indoors most places (especially in bars).  Those old manners rules we learned are now out the window.

Thats pretty fair.  I'm 29, have plenty of hair, but also have a head that just doesn't do well with hats in the traditional forward facing way, depending on how the front panel is structured.  I also have morning hair that can rarely be tamed, as a result, I wear hats backwards a decent amount and have never thought it to be douchey or juvenile.  It just is what it is.  I'm not going to wear it to a formal dinner or if I was meeting someone important, but at a bar during the day, out and about on a weekend during the day, or running errands, I don't know what's wrong with it.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2015, 01:08:01 PM »
I was going out to do some yardwork this weekend and I asked my wife (age 32) if should wear my hat backwards just to see what she'd say. Her response: "Do you want to look 40?" (I'm 34)

Her contention is that backwards hats make guys age 30+ look old. She reminded me of our experience at a recent wedding. The bride is an attractive, youthful-looking 36-year-old. However, once she put on that wedding dress, she flat-out looked old. Typically, we picture brides as fresh-faced 20-somethings in their giant princess dresses. What we don't picture are giant princess dresses being worn by women with crow's feet. Don't get me wrong, she looked great and I'm not "age shaming" (or whatever it's probably called) but, in that one particular circumstance, our friend looked old.

As my wife contends, the same goes for guys in backwards hats. Typically, we picture backwards hat guys as young college-aged 20-somethings. What we don't picture is a backwards hat guy being in his mid-30s with a diaper bag over his shoulder. When that's the case, it makes the guy look much older than he is because he's sporting a "young person look."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2015, 12:47:44 PM »
I was going out to do some yardwork this weekend and I asked my wife (age 32) if should wear my hat backwards just to see what she'd say. Her response: "Do you want to look 40?" (I'm 34)

Her contention is that backwards hats make guys age 30+ look old. She reminded me of our experience at a recent wedding. The bride is an attractive, youthful-looking 36-year-old. However, once she put on that wedding dress, she flat-out looked old. Typically, we picture brides as fresh-faced 20-somethings in their giant princess dresses. What we don't picture are giant princess dresses being worn by women with crow's feet. Don't get me wrong, she looked great and I'm not "age shaming" (or whatever it's probably called) but, in that one particular circumstance, our friend looked old.

As my wife contends, the same goes for guys in backwards hats. Typically, we picture backwards hat guys as young college-aged 20-somethings. What we don't picture is a backwards hat guy being in his mid-30s with a diaper bag over his shoulder. When that's the case, it makes the guy look much older than he is because he's sporting a "young person look."

How bout a photo of the bride, a,ina?

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2015, 01:19:19 PM »

I saw this personified at dinner last night.  A couple walks in with a baby, Dad sporting a backwards cap.  The very next thing I noticed were the patches of grey cropping up in his beard.  I probably would have overlooked it if not for the hat.  But in my mind, the backwards hat made him 5-10 years older because it looked out of place.

To offer my opinion, wear your hat however you damn well please.  (I'm less concerned about my "deforestation" problem than the lumpy head its gradually revealing.)  But at the same time, don't have the expectation that others aren't passing judgement.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2015, 01:26:20 PM »
I saw this personified at dinner last night.  A couple walks in with a baby, Dad sporting a backwards cap.  The very next thing I noticed were the patches of grey cropping up in his beard.  I probably would have overlooked it if not for the hat.  But in my mind, the backwards hat made him 5-10 years older because it looked out of place.

Great point.  There are a lot of young-people fashion choices, such as earrings on a guy (Morgan Freeman being a notable exception) or long hair on a woman that can make an older person look even older.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2015, 02:08:00 PM »

What about a bride in a baseball cap?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2015, 04:25:55 PM »
now that can be hot!  either with a little pony tail thru the strap or backwards so it doesn't get in the way when they're takin care of biness ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2015, 04:55:07 PM »
now that can be hot!  either with a little pony tail thru the strap or backwards so it doesn't get in the way when they're takin care of biness ;D

Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2015, 05:40:02 PM »
now that can be hot!  either with a little pony tail thru the strap or backwards so it doesn't get in the way when they're takin care of biness ;D

https://youtu.be/Fs4RNCvdC4s
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 05:41:37 PM by mu03eng »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2015, 06:39:20 PM »
awwww, come on!  someone left that one wide open.  i had to bring it on home, but ya'll have to admit, that was pretty funny right there-no disrespect though. ::) i've seen some pretty risque pics here too(no complaints of course)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2015, 03:41:55 PM »
Okay, I saw something today that I think nearly everyone would agree is inappropriate.

I was in downtown Chicago today and saw a bunch of twenty-somethings that were obviously headed to a Kentucky Derby party.  All the women were wearing spring dresses and fancy hats. The men were wearing suits/sportcoats and either had straw boaters or Panama hats, except for one dude that was wearing a backwards baseball cap.

That guy is definitely not getting laid tonight.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2015, 09:25:59 PM »
Okay, I saw something today that I think nearly everyone would agree is inappropriate.

I was in downtown Chicago today and saw a bunch of twenty-somethings that were obviously headed to a Kentucky Derby party.  All the women were wearing spring dresses and fancy hats. The men were wearing suits/sportcoats and either had straw boaters or Panama hats, except for one dude that was wearing a backwards baseball cap.

now that's what i'm talking about-and it comes from a credible source-women don't dig that look

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2015, 09:54:48 PM »
Disagree, if the dude has a lot of dough or a huge schmeckle, he's catchin' ass anyway, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2015, 05:19:36 AM »
Disagree, if the dude has a lot of dough or a huge schmeckle, he's catchin' ass anyway, ai na?

well yeah, those who come well endowed in both the money and the johnson departments predictably so blows the cap backwards theory out of the water.   those two attributes will allow one to overlook some negative aspects of anothers personalities.  those are what we call variables in the scientific analysis, or "wild cards"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2015, 08:48:09 AM »

Whats funny is that I would think most of them looked like asshats, not just the dude with "offensive" headwear.  People dressing up like Southern debutantes to watch the Derby at a bar or an OTB in Chicago is one of my least favorite spring traditions.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2015, 09:04:40 AM »
Are you protecting your scalp from the sun's rays since your thinning hair can no longer do it?   If so, own it.

Yes.  And, I do.  No shame at all.

The other reason I wear them is if I don't have time for a shower on a weekend morning.  Always forward facing, though (unless on a boat, jet ski, etc).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.