[Today at 10:54:04 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: rules for wearing baseball cap backwards or...  (Read 32570 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
rules for wearing baseball cap backwards or...
« on: April 19, 2015, 07:53:05 AM »
i have always wondered about this fashion phenomenon-how it evolved, when is it appropriate, age limits, and the different messages it sends??

i'm thinking it evolved mainly from baseball catchers because when they had to wear their masks, the bill of the cap forward got in the way.  then, kids/people started doing it as a fashion statement
       o.k., today, you see more people, it seems, wearing them backwards than forward.  some companies even started putting logos on the back(or front depending on your perspective)
       as i age(gracefully, i hope) i notice more and more people getting up there in age still doing this and it looks, well, juvenile.  i will admit i will wear mine backwards at time, but only when riding my teryx, boat, or motorcycle(sans helmit) to prevent it from blowing off.  as soon as i disengage said vehicle, it goes back to the regular(bill forward) position.
       now, the different messages it sends-the older you are, from my perspective, the dumber one looks.  then you have different angles at which it is positioned which can translate into different affiliations.  loosely fitted, cocked one way or the other, etc. 
        next, there are different bill shapes and sizes and colors, all worn in different ways-fashion statements, gang affiliations-now this is where one could get into trouble.  many of don't know what is what and where.  different angle, broad brim, color, and where you happen to be wandering.

sounds like wearing a simple baseball cap can be more complicated than it seems ::)  any help here on the do's and don't of this ubiquitous fashion?   
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
Re: rules for wearing baseball cap backwards or...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 08:17:41 AM »
Very simple.  Wear it how you want and don't judge those who wear it differently.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 08:18:16 AM »
IMO, Ken Griffy Jr. was the one who really started the fashion movement. I still wear mine backwards often - probably about 35-40% of time - and I am in my mid 30s. But I also get to work in an industry where I can wear shorts and a tshirt to work whenever I want. I say do whatever you want because who really gives two sh*ts what anyone else thinks. I think that's the best part of getting older, you stop looking for approval from others on menial crap.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 08:29:19 AM »
You can only turn your hat backwards on the golf course if you're smoking a cigar and have a scotch in your hand.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 09:39:47 AM »
A tip for you single guys who might actually give two sh*ts what people think:

Whenever this conversation comes up with my single women acquaintances (from my twenty-three-year-old daughter on up), the most common opinion is that wearing a baseball cap backwards is kind of douchey. 

And if you wear a baseball cap indoors (no matter which direction), the assumption is that you are trying to hide the fact that you are going bald.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 11:02:42 AM »

Death on call

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 11:07:17 AM »
Very simple.  Wear it how you want and don't judge those who wear it differently.

+10000

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 11:37:08 AM »
I kind of like George Carlin's take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIk4RkjEOAc

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 01:02:10 PM »
ZFB says he refuses to wear a hat, even if he just met the guy
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 01:19:18 PM »
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 04:18:59 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 04:11:14 PM »
A tip for you single guys who might actually give two sh*ts what people think:

Whenever this conversation comes up with my single women acquaintances (from my twenty-three-year-old daughter on up), the most common opinion is that wearing a baseball cap backwards is kind of douchey. 

And if you wear a baseball cap indoors (no matter which direction), the assumption is that you are trying to hide the fact that you are going bald.

I am bald and I'm not trying to hide anything. And I never wear a baseball cap indoors. I also think adults who wear baseball caps backward look kind of douchey, but I also think nobody over the age of 30 should use "LOL," so what the hell do I know?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 04:19:31 PM »
I am bald and I'm not trying to hide anything. And I never wear a baseball cap indoors. I also think adults who wear baseball caps backward look kind of douchey, but I also think nobody over the age of 30 should use "LOL," so what the hell do I know?

IDK

warriorchick

• All American
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 06:03:33 PM »

wow!  if that isn't the sanctimonious response of the year.  just thought i'd throw something light hearted out there.  personally, after the age of about 14 or so, i think it starts looking as some here have said-douchy.  i did like the cigar and scotch on the golf course-seen it many a time.  don't tell me father sultan,  that you don't pause every now and then when you see something dorky and just go-whatever...me too.  it doesn't mean i'm gonna go up to them and go all britt mchenry on them.  just a sunday change of pace-sorry yer having a bad day

don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 06:44:40 PM »
wow!  if that isn't the sanctimonious response of the year.  just thought i'd throw something light hearted out there.  personally, after the age of about 14 or so, i think it starts looking as some here have said-douchy.  i did like the cigar and scotch on the golf course-seen it many a time.  don't tell me father sultan,  that you don't pause every now and then when you see something dorky and just go-whatever...me too.  it doesn't mean i'm gonna go up to them and go all britt mchenry on them.  just a sunday change of pace-sorry yer having a bad day

You asked.  I answered. 

And I am having a fine day.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 07:48:58 AM »
I wear my hat backwards when my sunglasses don't fit under the brim because I wear my hats low....don't want to look like I have a fivehead  ;D.  I also wear it backwards if I'm casually skiing and need goggles but don't want to wear a helmet.

I think "my generation" is much more likely to wear hats all the time....we grew up wearing hats.  I also wear a hat to a sporting event or golfing.  Depending what the evening out plans are, if casual, I might wear a hat to the bar.  And no I'm not balding, I have a very full and luscious head of hair :D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 09:43:48 PM »
Wearing hats backwards is as acceptable as wearing a basketball jersey or ketchup on a hot dog.  it needs to stop after you hit 12 years old*.

*doesn't apply to black dudes.  except for the ketchup thing.  no man of any race, color or creed should put ketchup on a hot dog.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 11:42:50 PM »
IDepending what the evening out plans are, if casual, I might wear a hat to the bar.  And no I'm not balding, I have a very full and luscious head of hair :D

Hell, Navy, you should know better than that! Wear your cover into a Fighter O'Club and it will cost you...

Everyone slams down their beer and orders a double single malt whenever some fool commits that egregious sin

Death on call

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 07:34:53 AM »
Anybody beyond junior high school who wears a hat backwards is a loser. Period.

In addition, failing to judge people who wear baseball hats backwards is just as bad as actually wearing them that way.

Lastly, I try to remove my caps indoors, but sometimes fail to do so.  Just to contradict Warriorchick, I can boast of a luxuriant head of hair (among other attributes).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 07:39:25 AM »
I wear my baseball hat any way I want, depending on my mood and activity.    And so should you.   However, if you really need to dig deeper.... why are you wearing the hat?    Are you protecting your scalp from the sun's rays since your thinning hair can no longer do it?   If so, own it.  And if you are truly worried about skin cancer, consider one of those big-brimmed, lightweight numbers.   Own that, too.  Are you wearing it to keep the sun out of your eyes?    Don't turn it around.   Are you trying to advertise your fandom?    Face it forward.    If you are truly worried about whether or not it looks cool/hip/with it/ironic, then just stop.   Get a fedora.   Or an Irish ploughman's hat.     But whatever you choose, be honest with yourself about the reasons and then own it.   
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:49:47 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 08:33:21 AM »
I wear a hat backwards when I've had a busy day and couldn't shower before going out or my hair has gotten blown all around from the wind or when I wear my glasses which don't go well under a hat face forward. 

I personally think it looks kinda douchy especially on middleaged men but who am I to judge I also wear one of those traditional irish hats occasionally.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
Any rules for dealing with "hathead" when you take the cap off?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 01:05:41 PM »
Run your fingers through your hair a few times.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 01:12:09 PM »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 01:48:11 PM »
Wearing hats backwards is as acceptable as wearing a basketball jersey or ketchup on a hot dog.  it needs to stop after you hit 12 years old*.

*doesn't apply to black dudes.  except for the ketchup thing.  no man of any race, color or creed should put ketchup on a hot dog.

What's wrong with ketchup on a hot dog?  If I'm truly going to enjoy some ground up entrails and filler packed into some sort of synthetic casing, you better be damn sure I want some ketchup on that.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback