[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette on Andrew Rowsey  (Read 24417 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Marquette on Andrew Rowsey
« on: April 18, 2015, 08:13:32 AM »
Transfer out of UNC-Asheville, their top scorer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_AAf5DWhBQ

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/ucathleticsblog/2015/04/17/cincinnati-bearcats-unc-asheville-transfer-andrew-rowsey/25932877/

The 5-10 guard averaged 20.3 points per game as a freshman and 19.2 ppg last season while making 208 3-pointers over that span.

He was the first sophomore in the 55-year history of the program to score more than 1,000 points and accounted for nearly 25 percent of his team's points last season.

Asheville coach Nick McDevitt declined to say whether he was surprised when his leading scorer came into his office earlier this week and told him of his plans.

"He expressed a desire to compete for a national championship and play in a Final Four (at a larger school)," said McDevitt, who is 32-31 in two seasons with the Bulldogs.

"I told him I respected his decision."

We R Final Four

• All American

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Marquette on Andrew Rowsey
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 08:43:39 AM »
Could do worse, but would we really want to take him on? Looks like a sophomore transfer so he'd sit during Traci's freshman year and then compete for minutes as a junior with sophomore Traci? And would end up in the same class as Duane.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 08:58:36 AM »
Could do worse, but would we really want to take him on? Looks like a sophomore transfer so he'd sit during Traci's freshman year and then compete for minutes as a junior with sophomore Traci? And would end up in the same class as Duane.

Yes. Depth is useful. Use your schollies.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 09:01:55 AM »
Reminds a little bit like John Rinka, small guard that knows how to score and get open.  Why not take him?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
Reminds a little bit like John Rinka, small guard that knows how to score and get open.  Why not take him?

Sounds like a shorter Jake Thomas

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 09:03:05 AM »
Yes. Depth is useful. Use your schollies.

I agree with that but I'm not sure what the need for an undersized guard that will be the same year and a year older than the 2 guys he'd be competing most for minutes would be. I have faith that Wojo can find someone just as good as this kid but with a skill set that isn't already sitting in our starting lineup.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 09:42:48 AM »
I agree with that but I'm not sure what the need for an undersized guard that will be the same year and a year older than the 2 guys he'd be competing most for minutes would be. I have faith that Wojo can find someone just as good as this kid but with a skill set that isn't already sitting in our starting lineup.

We've got someone in our starting lineup who led his college team in assists as both a freshman and a sophomore?  Who do we have who shot nearly 40% on his 3 pointers as a freshman and sophomore?  Who shot 87.7% on free throws?  Who has scored 1,244 points in the last two years?  Who was the second-leading scorer (20.3 points per game) among Division I freshmen in 2013-14?

As of Thursday evening, he already had visits lined up to N.C. State and Cincinnati. A trip to South Carolina was in the works.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:46:18 AM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 10:05:11 AM »
Sounds like a shorter Jake Thomas

Jake Thomas was a walk on after his sophomore year. He shot 34 percent from 3 as a sophomore at South Dakota, in a conference that featured 7 newly converted DI programs. KenPom ranked conference 31st out of 32 in 2011. Thomas sat out a year, barely played and then decided to transfer out of Marquette and still could not find a decent option and returned for another lackluster year.  

Rowsey is one of the nations leading scorers, shot over 40% from 3, and is being recruited by Cincinnati, South Carolina, NC State, Duquesne, & Marquette. Played in a much better conference and scored 26 vs. Wake, 30 vs. South Carolina, 29 vs. Charlotte & 18 vs. UAB. Had ORat of 113, 140, 113 & 112 in those games.

I see their both white guards, is that what you're using to compare the two? Dumb comment.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 10:16:56 AM »
We've got someone in our starting lineup who led his college team in assists as both a freshman and a sophomore?  Who do we have who shot nearly 40% on his 3 pointers as a freshman and sophomore?  Who shot 87.7% on free throws?  Who has scored 1,244 points in the last two years?  Who was the second-leading scorer (20.3 points per game) among Division I freshmen in 2013-14?

As of Thursday evening, he already had visits lined up to N.C. State and Cincinnati. A trip to South Carolina was in the works.

I just don't see a 5'10" scoring guard who put those numbers up at UNC Ashville taking a ton of minutes from Duane Wilson or Traci Carter (or even Haniif Cheatham).  I'd rather the staff go after a freshman or transfer power forward so that we have someone ready to go whenever Henry goes to the NBA and a small forward since we don't currently have that spot on lockdown.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 10:24:39 AM »
I just don't see a 5'10" scoring guard who put those numbers up at UNC Ashville taking a ton of minutes from Duane Wilson or Traci Carter (or even Haniif Cheatham).  I'd rather the staff go after a freshman or transfer power forward so that we have someone ready to go whenever Henry goes to the NBA and a small forward since we don't currently have that spot on lockdown.

So you think a 157th ranked point guard putting up similar numbers at Life Center Academy the better bet? You'd think peeps on this board would learn from over hyping players. Weren't Reggie Smith & TJ Taylor supposed to be great at Marquette? I'd rather take a kid who has performed on a high level. He has performed vs. high major programs. I'm tired over the revolving door of over hyped - under performing freshman. Marquette has a MUCH better track record with JUCO and transfers. Guys who have performed against men.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 10:47:26 AM »
So you think a 157th ranked point guard putting up similar numbers at Life Center Academy the better bet? You'd think peeps on this board would learn from over hyping players. Weren't Reggie Smith & TJ Taylor supposed to be great at Marquette? I'd rather take a kid who has performed on a high level. He has performed vs. high major programs. I'm tired over the revolving door of over hyped - under performing freshman. Marquette has a MUCH better track record with JUCO and transfers. Guys who have performed against men.

Don't recall ever hearing Reggie Smith was going to be a stud. Traci Carter was injured during his junior summer league season (when players get evaluated the most). We've heard from a number of people that the staff thinks that Traci can run the point from day 1. Given that our staff includes multiple point guards that played at the highest collegiate level, I think I'll trust them over some guys who didn't even get to evaluate Traci because he wasn't playing due to injury.

What high major teams has this kid proven he can perform against? Their 5 "highest major" opponents last year were Wake Forest, UAB, South Carolina, UNC Charlotte, and East Carolina. He has proven he can perform against high major players just about as little as Traci Carter has. Not to mention this kid would be playing off the ball, aka a 5'10" shooting guard. That's not very encouraging in the Big East.

People here called Car3no a chucker this past season. This kid makes Car3no look like he's Derrick Wilson hesitant to pull the trigger. Carlino attmepted 11.4 FA/game this season and made 40.4% of them. This kid took 14.5 FA/game and made 39.4% of them (horrible). Carlino took 7.2 3ptFA/game and made 41.9% of them while this kid took 8.6 3ptFA/game while making 38.2% of them. People call Car3no a chucker and say he's the worst passer they've ever seen, yet now we desperately want a 5'10" shooting guard who shoots a ton more and less efficiently in less minutes and who has lower APG and higher TO/game? Not to mention would be playing the same position and in the same class as Duane Wilson. Okay then. I guess I'm crazy.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:51:41 AM by LeesWorld »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 11:02:16 AM »
Don't recall ever hearing Reggie Smith was going to be a stud. Traci Carter was injured during his junior summer league season (when players get evaluated the most). We've heard from a number of people that the staff thinks that Traci can run the point from day 1. Given that our staff includes multiple point guards that played at the highest collegiate level, I think I'll trust them over some guys who didn't even get to evaluate Traci because he wasn't playing due to injury.

What high major teams has this kid proven he can perform against? Their 5 "highest major" opponents last year were Wake Forest, UAB, South Carolina, UNC Charlotte, and East Carolina. He has proven he can perform against high major players just about as little as Traci Carter has. Not to mention this kid would be playing off the ball, aka a 5'10" shooting guard. That's not very encouraging in the Big East.

People here called Car3no a chucker this past season. This kid makes Car3no look like he's Derrick Wilson hesitant to pull the trigger. Carlino attmepted 11.4 FA/game this season and made 40.4% of them. This kid took 14.5 FA/game and made 39.4% of them (horrible). Carlino took 7.2 3ptFA/game and made 41.9% of them while this kid took 8.6 3ptFA/game while making 38.2% of them. People call Car3no a chucker and say he's the worst passer they've ever seen, yet now we desperately want a 5'10" shooting guard who shoots a ton more and less efficiently in less minutes and who has lower APG and higher TO/game? Not to mention would be playing the same position and in the same class as Duane Wilson. Okay then. I guess I'm crazy.

What confuses me is you assuming that he will play shooting guard since he most likely has been playing the point as evidenced by him leading his team in assists both years.  I believe that Wojo's interest is due to the fact that he's a point guard.  He would really help next year in giving the starters practice defending against a point guard who can hit the three point shot during practices.  Then the year after he would provide great competition against Traci for minutes.  This interest on Wojo's part, IMO indicates that Wojo believes that Duane's best position is the off guard.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 11:05:00 AM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 11:52:33 AM »
Goodman reporting he will visit MU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 11:54:02 AM »
What confuses me is you assuming that he will play shooting guard since he most likely has been playing the point as evidenced by him leading his team in assists both years.  I believe that Wojo's interest is due to the fact that he's a point guard.  He would really help next year in giving the starters practice defending against a point guard who can hit the three point shot during practices.  Then the year after he would provide great competition against Traci for minutes.  This interest on Wojo's part, IMO indicates that Wojo believes that Duane's best position is the off guard.

I want absolutely no part in a point guard who turns the ball over really dang close to as much as he has assists at a very low major level. I also want absolutely no part of a point guard who shoots the ball 15 times per game.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 11:59:37 AM »
I want absolutely no part in a point guard who turns the ball over really dang close to as much as he has assists at a very low major level. I also want absolutely no part of a point guard who shoots the ball 15 times per game.

relax....Wojo apparently disagrees with you......and he has seen him play....

ps and it isn't just Wojo.....Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  21m21 minutes ago
UNC Asheville transfer Andrew Rowsey (19.2 ppg) told ESPN he'll visit Marquette, N.C. State and Va Tech. Tennessee, Cinci, Vandy, SC called.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 12:03:15 PM by MuMark »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 12:04:44 PM »
relax....Wojo apparently disagrees with you......and he has seen him play....

We'll see how much real interest there is. If Wojo goes and gets him he knows better what he wants to do than I do. I just don't see any role for him on this team, but if he wants to come in and give Duane a 5 minute break then sure he can force our players to defend the 3 point line in practice otherwise.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 01:11:13 PM »

So they think Traci can start from day 1 but they're recruiting a "horrible" shooting chucker at the PG position, who won't be available until Traci's second year. They're also recruiting Shonn Miller who played at Cornell and will be available for Traci's first year. Everyone was excited about him and he shot 30% from 3 last year in the Ivy League.

I think I'll trust the high major programs recruiting this kid over your opinion.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 01:17:32 PM »
So they think Traci can start from day 1 but they're recruiting a "horrible" shooting chucker at the PG position, who won't be available until Traci's second year. They're also recruiting Shonn Miller who played at Cornell and will be available for Traci's first year. Everyone was excited about him and he shot 30% from 3 last year in the Ivy League.

I think I'll trust the high major programs recruiting this kid over your opinion.

That's fine. I'll trust BigDaddy knows what he's talking about. Shonn Miller is a 6'7" forward so not sure what our recruitment of him has to do with Traci Carter being able to start at the PG from day one, but okay?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 01:19:37 PM »

So, if Cameron Payne or DeAngelo Russell wanted to come to MU, you'd turn them away?
I suspect Rowsey's shot totals might look different on a different team.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2015, 01:31:01 PM »
We'll see how much real interest there is. If Wojo goes and gets him he knows better what he wants to do than I do. I just don't see any role for him on this team, but if he wants to come in and give Duane a 5 minute break then sure he can force our players to defend the 3 point line in practice otherwise.

He's the same size as Cassius Winston (who has yet to prove he can play at the college level) and everyone here really wants us to land him.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 01:38:59 PM »
So, if Cameron Payne or DeAngelo Russell wanted to come to MU, you'd turn them away?
I suspect Rowsey's shot totals might look different on a different team.

You're right, I should've differentiated between a point guard who gets 6 APG to 2.5 TOPG and shoots 46% on his 15 FGA/game at a mid major school (Payne) and one who gets 3 APG to 2.7 TOPG while shooting under 40% on his 15 FGA/game at a very low major school (Rowsey).  I want nothing to do with the guy who is very inefficient and looks for his own shot first, second, and third at a low level of competition.  If a point guard can come in and distribute the ball well and be very efficient while still putting up 15 shots per game then great.  That is not Rowsey.  We all thought Carlino's shots would go down as well.  When you're a chucker you're a chucker.

The guy gets almost as many turnovers per game as he gets assists per game while playing at UNC Ashville and against their very low major schedule.  Sorry if I am concerned that he may not be able to successfully run the point guard position in the Big East and see that we already have a high scoring 2 guard on the team in the same class as the kid (following the redshirt he would need due to the transfer).  If you guys think he can come in and be a stud so be it.  I guess we will see where he ends up and what he does.  My guess is he ends up at Duquesne or a similar program and says his other 2 "finalists" were programs like MU, Cinci, or NC State but Duquesne "offered him a chance to play right away" and "was the best fit for him."  (Also known as, I never really got an offer from those high majors.  I called some, we had a conversation and that was "interest")

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 01:41:28 PM »
You're right, I should've differentiated between a point guard who gets 6 APG to 2.5 TOPG and shoots 46% on his 15 FGA/game at a mid major school (Payne) and one who gets 3 APG to 2.7 TOPG while shooting under 40% on his 15 FGA/game at a very low major school (Rowsey).  I want nothing to do with the guy who is very inefficient and looks for his own shot first, second, and third at a low level of competition.  If a point guard can come in and distribute the ball well and be very efficient while still putting up 15 shots per game then great.  That is not Rowsey.  We all thought Carlino's shots would go down as well.  When you're a chucker you're a chucker.

The guy gets almost as many turnovers per game as he gets assists per game while playing at UNC Ashville and against their very low major schedule.  Sorry if I am concerned that he may not be able to successfully run the point guard position in the Big East and see that we already have a high scoring 2 guard on the team in the same class as the kid (following the redshirt he would need due to the transfer).  If you guys think he can come in and be a stud so be it.  I guess we will see where he ends up and what he does.  My guess is he ends up at Duquesne or a similar program and says his other 2 "finalists" were programs like MU, Cinci, or NC State but Duquesne "offered him a chance to play right away" and "was the best fit for him."  (Also known as, I never really got an offer from those high majors.  I called some, we had a conversation and that was "interest")

He's visiting both Marquette and NC State. Theres gotta be more than interest.

There are worse things than a backup PG who can hit the three consistently. If we were recruiting him to start then I'd be worried but he'd probably be a 15 mpg guy who can hit some shots off the bench.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 01:41:50 PM »
He's the same size as Cassius Winston (who has yet to prove he can play at the college level) and everyone here really wants us to land him.

Cassius Winston is listed at 6'1" while Rowsey is listed at 5'10".  Winston is a top 25 pure point while Rowsey is a shoot first guard playing at UNC Ashville.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 01:42:31 PM »
He's visiting both Marquette and NC State. Theres gotta be more than interest.

There are worse things than a backup PG who can hit the three consistently. If we were recruiting him to start then I'd be worried but he'd probably be a 15 mpg guy who can hit some shots off the bench.

I guess we will see.  I have a hard time believing a kid would want to go from taking 15 shots per game to getting 15 minutes per game.  But we will see what the interest level is.

feedback