Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shonn Miller Visiting Uconn This Weekend  (Read 10598 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Shonn Miller Visiting Uconn This Weekend
« on: April 17, 2015, 09:19:09 PM »
Uconn Basketball: Cornell standout Shonn Miller to visit Uconn
April 17, 2015 by Sean McGarrity

http://isportsweb.com/2015/04/17/uconn-basketball-cornell-standout-shonn-miller-to-visit-uconn/

Shonn Miller will be visiting Uconn this weekend as he looks to find a home for his final year of eligibility. The Cornell star redshirted his junior year following a shoulder injury that left him unable to play the 2012-13 season.  The 6-7, 215 pound forward could make for a valued addition to a Huskies team that suffered last season from both lack of depth and experience.

The Ivy League doesn’t allow its graduate students to participate in school athletics, and as a result, many look to transfer elsewhere to play during their fifth year. Miller joins a growing number of student athletes that choose to play their final year of eligibility elsewhere. This includes the likes of Yale’s Jeremiah Kriesberg, who left for Northwestern last season, and Providence’s Tyler Harris, who has already visited Uconn this month.

Head Coach Kevin Ollie will be keen to make a good impression as Miller has already met with several schools including, Illinois, Michigan, and Marquette. Miller poses a threat from both the perimeter and the interior, as well as possessing the ability play both ends of the floor. This versatility makes him an attractive prospect for next season. There is also added appeal in Miller as a fifth-year player because it will open up scholarships for possible 2016 recruits.

Miller played in all 28 games for Cornell this season. His 16.8 points and 8.5 rebounds a game saw him finish second overall in the Ivy League, and a candidate for player of the year. He also finished in the top three in several other notable categories including points, defensive rebounds, free throws, blocks, and field goals.

“I think he (Miller) could have an impact at a major Division I program next season.” Harvard Coach Tommy Amaker said.

The full extent of Miller’s ability was on display during Cornell’s 57-49 upset victory over Harvard on February 27th. He sank several critical shots in the second half including a pair of three-pointers, accentuated by a reverse alley-oop (Dunk at 1:35) late in the game. Miller would finish with a double-double, recording 24 points, 15 assists, and three blocks.

“I think Shonn is a tremendous talent,” Yale coach James Jones said. “He’s big, strong, athletic, he had some thunderous dunks over his career, you shake your head at how awesome they were.”

Coach Kevin Ollie will be on the lookout for players that can play and compete right away and Miller definitely possesses the ability to do so. Should Miller decide that Uconn is the right place for him, the former Ivy League Rookie of the Year could add that extra bit of depth and experience that the Huskies desperately needed last season.

Ollie has had success with fifth-year transfers in the past, most notably Lasan Kromah who helped the Huskies to a national championship in 2014. With a strong out-of-conference schedule this season that will include Texas, Ohio State, and Florida the leadership, experience, and depth Miller can offer could prove indispensable.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Shonn Miller Visiting Uconn This Weekend
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 09:44:29 PM »
@huskiesnyc Apr 8
Shonn Miller is the missing piece that will get UConn back to the Final Four next year @ShonnMillerToUC @Smiller_32

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 02:42:14 PM »
@huskiesnyc Apr 8
Shonn Miller is the missing piece that will get UConn back to the Final Four next year @ShonnMillerToUC @Smiller_32

And I thought it was Shabazz Napier.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:50:40 PM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 03:24:33 PM »
@JonRothstein: BREAKING: Cornell transfer Shonn Miller has committed to UConn, source told @CBSSports. Immediately eligible. Story coming.

Dang.

brandx

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 04:13:47 PM »
@JonRothstein: BREAKING: Cornell transfer Shonn Miller has committed to UConn, source told @CBSSports. Immediately eligible. Story coming.

Dang.

Too bad, but I didn't think he was going to leave the East Coast.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 04:15:59 PM »
Would've been nice but I didn't think MU could get both Miller and Lee.  Hopefully Wojo lands Lee.  Really wondering which two Jucos Big Daddy was talking about.  Now that Plan A (Lee and Miller) is off the table, onto Plan B.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 04:46:33 PM »
Would've been nice but I didn't think MU could get both Miller and Lee.  Hopefully Wojo lands Lee.  Really wondering which two Jucos Big Daddy was talking about.  Now that Plan A (Lee and Miller) is off the table, onto Plan B.

Guessing JUCO option A is in Blacksburg this weekend.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 05:01:10 PM »

Dang.

The Ellenson Effect?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 05:01:38 PM »
Guessing JUCO option A is in Blacksburg this weekend.

Who would this be??

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 05:02:46 PM »
Who would this be??

Clue number two.

With a name like his, you'd think he'd be a perfect match for Bob Huggins.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 05:28:29 PM »
According to the tweeters, he committed

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 05:57:22 PM »
Just saw it on the ESPN scroll.
Have some patience, FFS.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 06:14:05 PM »
Clue number two.

With a name like his, you'd think he'd be a perfect match for Bob Huggins.

Figured it was Ty Outlaw.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 08:59:50 PM »
I believe we sneak into the tournament if Shonn signs.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 09:16:13 PM »
All-Ivy Forward Shonn Miller Will Finish Career At UConn

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-uconn-men-shonn-miller-0419-20150418-story.html

STORRS — Shonn Miller, who will graduate from Cornell in May, will finish his college basketball career as a grad student next season.

The 6-foot-7 Miller, who averaged 16.8 points and 8.5 rebounds last season and was named first-team All-Ivy League, arrived on the UConn campus Friday and told the coaches of his decision to transfer on Saturday afternoon, then headed out for a meal with some of his new teammates.

"I just felt accepted from the first moment I stepped up here," Miller told The Courant. "I felt like part of the family. I just got a good vibe from the whole situation."

Miller missed his junior season at Cornell because of a shoulder injury, but the Ivy League does not allow redshirting, so Miller had to transfer to continue playing. He met with several schools, but after a phone call from coach Kevin Ollie, UConn emerged as the early front-runner. If it were possible, Miller said, he would have stayed at Cornell.

"I don't know why that's the rule in the first place," he said. "but I had no control over that situation."

The Huskies have had good experiences with fifth-year transfers, such as R.J. Evans in 2012-13 and Lasan Kromah, who became a key role player on the 2013-14 championship team. UConn will look to Miller to bring experience to the team, but with the one-year commitment, the Huskies will have the scholarship available for a Class of 2016 high school recruit.

Miller is considered a versatile forward who can shoot from the perimeter or score around the basket.

"What I hope to get out of this opportunity is to win, in whatever role the coaches want me," Miller said. "I feel like I can do whatever they need me to do — score, rebound."

Miller, who is from Euclid, Ohio, will graduate from Cornell on May 24, and he plans to begin summer courses at UConn soon after that. He said he is not sure what he will study at UConn.

The Huskies were hosting a point guard on Saturday evening. Alterique Gilbert, 6-1, from Lithonia, Ga., is a top-50 recruit from the Class of 2016.

They are not finished recruiting for next season, though. The coaches will be out at tournaments next weekend and are intent on filling two more scholarships.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 09:17:36 PM »
I guess Scoopers should have changed their screen names to include Miller.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 09:22:10 PM »
Next man up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 09:22:51 PM »
From Ivy all the way down to a non-AAU school. Really moving down in the world
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 02:10:34 PM »
All-Ivy Forward Shonn Miller Will Finish Career At UConn

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-uconn-men-shonn-miller-0419-20150418-story.html

STORRS —

He said he is not sure what he will study at UConn.

This sentence caught my eye considering that you are only supposed to be able to transfer if the new school offers a graduate program that your old school does not.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 02:16:27 PM »
This sentence caught my eye considering that you are only supposed to be able to transfer if the new school offers a graduate program that your old school does not.

Exactly. Not surprising at all. 

He decided where he wants to play hoops, and now he has to find a field of study that checks the graduate transfer box.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 03:38:46 PM »

Not a graduate transfer in the traditional sense.  Ivies only give you four years to compete and you're done.  He missed an entire year because of injury so he has another year of eligibility left.  While he would prefer to stay at Cornell, Ivy rules do not allow for a fifth year.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 05:18:36 PM »
Exactly. Not surprising at all. 

He decided where he wants to play hoops, and now he has to find a field of study that checks the graduate transfer box.

Lets not kid ourselves....that is how it works with most grad transfers.

Does anybody think the reason Carlino came to MU was to pursue a program that wasn't offered at BYU?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 05:53:43 PM »
Not a graduate transfer in the traditional sense.  Ivies only give you four years to compete and you're done.  He missed an entire year because of injury so he has another year of eligibility left.  While he would prefer to stay at Cornell, Ivy rules do not allow for a fifth year.

That doesn't mean that he doesn't have to meet the NCAA's requirements, as far as I know.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 04:02:59 PM »
http://zagsblog.com/articles/unocals-kevin-ollie-says-he-has-no-plans-to-pursue-other-opportunities-even-as-oklahoma-city-sees-him-as-no-1-target/

If Ollie leaves I wonder if Miller would reconsider?

That's my speculation as well. If I'm Wojo, I'm letting St Ignatius in Cleveland know Marquette still has an open scholarship.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback