[Today at 10:23:37 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Noskowiak Update  (Read 16219 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Noskowiak Update
« on: April 17, 2015, 09:14:18 PM »
Sounds like Hoiberg will not be there for Noskowiak's visit to Marquette West

Hoiberg's heart surgery a success; soon he'll be back to (virtual) work
Randy Peterson
8:03 p.m. CDT April 17, 2015

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/basketball-mens/2015/04/17/fred-hoiberg-iowa-state-heart-surgery-successful-cornell-mann-mayo-clinic/25966199/

Fred Hoiberg made it through his second open heart surgery in 10 years Friday. Now it's all about recovery — and texting.

"Everything went very well," Dr. Rakesh Suri, a Mayo Clinic cardiothoracic surgeon, said in a statement released by Iowa State. "The operation was a success, and Mr. Hoiberg is in recovery and doing very well himself."

The five-season Iowa State men's basketball coach had aortic valve replacement surgery. The surgery, which started late Friday morning, was completed around 5 p.m.

Hoiberg could be hospitalized for up to a week. Once returning to Ames, he won't be visible outside his home for a while, but that won't stop him from communicating.

Recruiting, however, hasn't stopped.

"We're doing everything we'd normally be doing at this point in the year," Mann said.

They're looking for a ball-handling guard; Monte Morris is the team's only true point guard, although forward Georges Niang also has brought the ball up the floor.

Nick Noskowiak, a 6-foot-2 point guard from Sun Prairie, Wis., is scheduled to visit Iowa State next week. He has been released from the letter of intent he signed with Marquette.

The Cyclones would take a shooting big guy to replace Darien Williams, too. He was released from his scholarship two weeks ago.

"Recruits know the situation right now with Fred," Mann said. "They're informed."

Team needs, however, aren't urgent — four primary starters from last season's 25-9 team return.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 09:19:28 PM by Lee Heisenberg »

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Noskowiak Update
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 09:47:23 PM »
So... no update.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 09:54:53 PM »
So... no update.

Yes we knew that NN was visiting ISU and USC.  But I had not seen before this that he was going next week and Hoiberg would still be in the hospital when he visited.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 10:40:35 AM »
NN is very tight with Hoiberg's main guy, Otzelberger. Otz has been advising NN even before he came back to ISU. If all of NN's issues are behind him — and that is a big if — ISU is the most likely landing point.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 11:09:32 AM »
NN is very tight with Hoiberg's main guy, Otzelberger. Otz has been advising NN even before he came back to ISU. If all of NN's issues are behind him — and that is a big if — ISU is the most likely landing point.

Are you saying that there is a possibility (if Nick's issues aren't behind him) that Nick might not be in Division I next year?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 11:12:36 AM »
Don't know if I ever shared to NN decommit saga as I heard it. NN was going through problems. He was in a bad place and lets just say, not behaving like an ideal student athlete. In times of trouble, it's not uncommon for a recruit to reach out the their coach/staff for advice/support etc. and help them along the way. I'm told their was no relationship at all between Wojo and NN. That made the de-commit easy for NN -- he didn't feel wanted, so he bolted. He asked for his release and MU asked him to wait a bit to reconsider (it ended up being two weeks). I'm told they wanted to lock up a point and had their eye on two. My guess (and that is all it is) is that they wanted to make sure they had another point guard, and if they didn't, they would make renewed effort to show NN some love and bring him back into the fold  That could have been Wojo's "play" -- I have no idea. They got Carter not long after, so it is plausible. NN had been recruited by Otz and I know he had been advising him after the de-commit. And he had been advising him in a truly altruistic way, as in, he was just trying to help him find the best landing place, not HIS place (he was at Wash when it happened). Now, with Otz returning to ISU, it would make sense he comes there, but definitely not a lock because of all of the perceived issues. My gut would say that at this point, it's more of ISU's choice if they want to take a chance on him than NN's.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 11:14:14 AM »
Are you saying that there is a possibility (if Nick's issues aren't behind him) that Nick might not be in Division I next year?
Not at all. It's a flag, but he has plenty of options I'm told.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 11:41:29 AM »
Thanks for the great background, Freeport.  Best of luck, Nick.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 11:46:27 AM »
He asked for his release and MU asked him to wait a bit to reconsider (it ended up being two weeks). I'm told they wanted to lock up a point and had their eye on two. My guess (and that is all it is) is that they wanted to make sure they had another point guard, and if they didn't, they would make renewed effort to show NN some love and bring him back into the fold  That could have been Wojo's "play" -- I have no idea. They got Carter not long after, so it is plausible.

It was a good month between Nick's release and Traci's commitment. FWIW
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 12:40:54 PM »
It was a good month between Nick's release and Traci's commitment. FWIW
I know. My point was I know they were in full attack mode for finding another point/guard the minute NN gave his decom to them -- not when it was announced two weeks later. My guess is that they must have felt pretty good about Traci  or Sacar (I know he isn't a point) or someone else and decided to let NN go without putting the full-court press on trying to keep him.

muvanwilder

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 01:19:56 PM »
Don't know if I ever shared to NN decommit saga as I heard it. NN was going through problems. He was in a bad place and lets just say, not behaving like an ideal student athlete. In times of trouble, it's not uncommon for a recruit to reach out the their coach/staff for advice/support etc. and help them along the way. I'm told their was no relationship at all between Wojo and NN. That made the de-commit easy for NN -- he didn't feel wanted, so he bolted. He asked for his release and MU asked him to wait a bit to reconsider (it ended up being two weeks). I'm told they wanted to lock up a point and had their eye on two. My guess (and that is all it is) is that they wanted to make sure they had another point guard, and if they didn't, they would make renewed effort to show NN some love and bring him back into the fold  That could have been Wojo's "play" -- I have no idea. They got Carter not long after, so it is plausible. NN had been recruited by Otz and I know he had been advising him after the de-commit. And he had been advising him in a truly altruistic way, as in, he was just trying to help him find the best landing place, not HIS place (he was at Wash when it happened). Now, with Otz returning to ISU, it would make sense he comes there, but definitely not a lock because of all of the perceived issues. My gut would say that at this point, it's more of ISU's choice if they want to take a chance on him than NN's.

I trust you are more in the "know" then my source, and maybe this was already shared.  But my source told me that during his saga that he lied to Wojo about the incident, and wojo felt the trust wasn't there and there was a mutual parting of ways.  Who knows. Anyways, wish him good luck.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 02:15:42 PM »
I trust you are more in the "know" then my source, and maybe this was already shared.  But my source told me that during his saga that he lied to Wojo about the incident, and wojo felt the trust wasn't there and there was a mutual parting of ways.  Who knows. Anyways, wish him good luck.
I'm told NN initiated and MU asked for time. I told Sultan and Keefe that NN asked for his release a few hours after it happened. There was no mention of "mutual" anything. Then there were two weeks of silence. Then they "mutually agreed." I can only speculate as to why, but they were feverishly looking for a 2015 PG in the time between when he asked for the release and when they "mutually agreed." Was told there was really no relationship between Wojo and NN versus I hear Wojo and HE have a great relationship and they communicate often. Another scenario could be Wojo "cooled" on NN after his issues and "froze him out" which could have been the basis for him leaving -- I guess that would qualify as a mutual decision in MU's eyes. The million dollar question is why did they wait two weeks? Did they really want him to reconsider, or were they waiting on another recruit to fall into place before they really threw in the towel? I hope he does land at ISU -- I enjoy following WI kids and wish him the best.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 03:33:37 PM »
NN had been recruited by Otz and I know he had been advising him after the de-commit. And he had been advising him in a truly altruistic way, as in, he was just trying to help him find the best landing place, not HIS place (he was at Wash when it happened). Now, with Otz returning to ISU, it would make sense he comes there, but definitely not a lock because of all of the perceived issues. My gut would say that at this point, it's more of ISU's choice if they want to take a chance on him than NN's.

A.) Why was TJ doing this? Forgive me, but I have never heard of something like this.

B.) Wow. TJ had been in Spokane for 2 or 3 of Nicks 4 HS years and he was advising him over what, twitter?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:39:49 PM by WarriorPride68 »

augoman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 03:40:59 PM »
hmmmm, I just learned from a source close to the situation that NN had never really wanted to attend MU, but was 'directed' by his father.  After leaving home and moving in with his uncle he requested the release from his nli.  He's fine and a great young man who was in a tough situation.  All better now.  So I'm told.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 03:43:46 PM »
Freeport can correct me if I am wrong, but TJ is from Wisconsin.  I wouldn't doubt there is a family or coaching connection of some sort.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »
Freeport can correct me if I am wrong, but TJ is from Wisconsin.  I wouldn't doubt there is a family or coaching connection of some sort.

That would make a lot more sense. I noticed TJ is from Milwaukee & not Sun Prairie so the connection wasn't obvious at first. Badgers had NN visit numerous times early on, Greg Gard (Wisco native) never felt obligated to "advise" the young man so I'm just curious.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 04:08:25 PM »
A.) Why was TJ doing this? Forgive me, but I have never heard of something like this.

B.) Wow. TJ had been in Spokane for 3 of Nicks 4 HS years and he was advising him over what, twitter?

I think this is very common and quite frankly, a solid approach to recruiting. Recruiters/coaches don't burn bridges, see kids all through recruiting process/AAU games/HS games/camps even after committing. They know the kids and families and they also know that not every scenario works out. It's in their best interest to stay friendly with all. Coaches might miss on a kid, but make an impression. Otz was recruiting NN (I have no idea how seriously), MU got him, then NN decommits and reaches out to the guys he really liked in the recruiting process looking for advice/options. Coaches he reaches out to give him advice. One such coach is on the move and gives the kid his input before he moves to a new spot. Once in new spot, besides figuring his own personal role/fit, said coach needs to figure out how potential recruit would fit on new team (who he also doesn't know as well), where they are at in recruiting, if staff wants to take a chance, how the others on staff feel, etc., etc.. Don't think that scenario is odd in the least. NN has been one of the top WI players since 7th grade BTW when he was playing for Randolph Boys Club in AAU. Otz has been mining WI for the last decade. Have no idea how long they have known each other.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 04:10:27 PM »
Milwaukee Thomas More HS. Good player at Whitewater.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 04:24:31 PM »

Thanks as always Freeport, you are a legend.

Any truth to the poster claiming it was Nosk dad who wanted MU & not nick?

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 06:06:16 PM »

What incident?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2015, 09:24:51 PM »
What incident?

He told Wojo and the world he was suffering from depression......Wojo came out publically to support him....then later he changed his story and said it was never depression......it was another issue within his family....

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 11:26:40 PM »

Thanks as always Freeport, you are a legend.

Any truth to the poster claiming it was Nosk dad who wanted MU & not nick?
I have no idea. I had always heard MU was his dream school growing up.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 05:47:16 PM »
Iowa State could have basketball scholarships filled soon
Randy Peterson, rpeterson@dmreg.com 10:15 a.m. CDT April 25, 2015

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/2015/04/25/three-recruits-are-visiting-iowa-state-this-weekend/26359559/

The three players are high school point guard Nick Noskowiak, Providence transfer forward Tyler Harris, and Michigan transfer forward Max Bielfeldt.

Harris and Bielfeldt are graduates and immediately eligible for one season.

Three scholarships are available for next season.

Noskowiak is a 6-foot-2 senior at Sun Prairie (Wis.) High School who has been released from the national letter of intent he signed with Marquette. He's the most likely to commit this weekend.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 08:12:57 PM »
N/N was the guy telling other recruits to come to MU,what a total cluster that recruitment turned out to be! The biggest
cheerleader before coming here and then takes a dump on the program! Rots of Ruck!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 08:32:22 PM »
N/N was the guy telling other recruits to come to MU,what a total cluster that recruitment turned out to be! The biggest
cheerleader before coming here and then takes a dump on the program! Rots of Ruck!

Yeah I'm not throwing NN under the bus with the coaching change and the other crap he has been through.  Hope he figures it out.

feedback