[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Program Update  (Read 40524 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Program Update
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2015, 07:37:01 PM »
Indeed--it's still unnecessary baiting.

It's called a victory lap and I'm f*cking taking it.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2015, 07:49:51 PM »
Good job.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2015, 07:54:50 PM »
Hello fellow Warriors,

After the banquet last night I wanted to share a few thoughts:

1) Derrick Wilson is such a class act and I wish him well. His plans are to head over to Europe and give it a run at playing professionally over there.

Derrick Wilson was a wonderful student-athlete. Great to see him win so many of the team awards. Great young man. I wish him all the best in the future.
We Are Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2015, 08:29:34 PM »
Derrick Wilson was a wonderful student-athlete. Great to see him win so many of the team awards. Great young man. I wish him all the best in the future.

+1

hepennypacker5000

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2015, 09:21:45 PM »
Italian(and as far as I know every European) universities don't have sports teams. MU would likely play a 2nd division pro team. I can't see a 1st division team agreeing to play them, and an amateur team wouldn't even be a test, so 2nd division is IMO the only option.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2015, 09:26:44 PM »
If we were going to France, MU v Ox???

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2015, 04:55:02 AM »
Italian(and as far as I know every European) universities don't have sports teams. MU would likely play a 2nd division pro team. I can't see a 1st division team agreeing to play them, and an amateur team wouldn't even be a test, so 2nd division is IMO the only option.
Most of the Euro clubs have 2nd and 3rd level teams full of kids and projects that feed into the top team.  Many of the 2nd teams would have a lot of 18/19 year olds who sit on the end of the bench for the top team but would be similar to collegiate level players, except that they've been playing in the same system for the same club for 3-5 years already, which means they're actually ahead in terms of team work and skills, while perhaps lacking in athleticism and strength.  They'll also have some older guys - often "bigs" - who are trying to get into the first team.  These would make for some fun to watch competition for MU, while not playing against 30 year old bruisers from the top level Euro pro teams. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2015, 08:14:05 AM »
Those 2 and Winston. Would be surprised if Kostas is anything more than a backup option at this point.

I think Winston is in the rear view mirror at this point. He isn't escaping the state of Michigan
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2015, 08:19:58 AM »
Thanks for the update BD. Any idea on which jucos we are interested in?
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2015, 02:31:06 PM »
Does this mean we're outta the Stone sweepstakes, hey?

Haven't you heard, he's gonna transfer back after a year.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2015, 02:33:06 PM »
How about:
1 - Haanif
2 - Lee
3 - HE
4 - Heldt
5 - Fischer

and thanks Big Daddy for the great news update.

I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Heldt wasn't one of the RS possibilities... so I guess that reveals my thoughts on that big lineup.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2015, 06:27:16 PM »
How about:
1 - Haanif
2 - Lee
3 - HE
4 - Heldt
5 - Fischer

and thanks Big Daddy for the great news update.

Traci will start over Haanif. Henry will play the 4, not the 3. Heldt I don't think is ready. I agree with Murs that he is a redshirt candidate. And unless we get two more bigs who can play right away, we will never see HE, Heldt, and Fischer (our three biggest guys) on the floor together

Personally, I like:

1- Lee*
2- Duane
3- Miller
4- HE
5- Fischer

*No idea if Lee can actually play the 1. Have heard some speculate about it and this would be the way to get our 5 best on the floor should we get both Lee and Miller.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2015, 06:31:15 PM »
Miller is irrelevant as he committed to UConn today.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2015, 06:32:27 PM »
I don't doubt Heldt will be a 4 year kid but I highly doubt he'll redshirt.   Especially with Taylor leaving.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2015, 06:57:47 PM »
Traci will start over Haanif. Henry will play the 4, not the 3. Heldt I don't think is ready. I agree with Murs that he is a redshirt candidate. And unless we get two more bigs who can play right away, we will never see HE, Heldt, and Fischer (our three biggest guys) on the floor together

Personally, I like:

1- Lee*
2- Duane
3- Miller
4- HE
5- Fischer

*No idea if Lee can actually play the 1. Have heard some speculate about it and this would be the way to get our 5 best on the floor should we get both Lee and Miller.

I was responding to a post specifically about the possibilities of tall lineups stipulating that Haanif could play the 1.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2015, 05:07:31 PM »
Kind of surprised about JJJ. Especially considering Chitown stated he heard it right out of JJJ's mouth that he was gone  ::)

Well that really wasn't a lie.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2015, 10:38:49 PM »
Great information

Big Daddy and Freeport are must reads.

Don't forget about GoldenBoy

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2015, 05:33:57 AM »
Thanks, BD, but it seems from that report SC is even more of a sleeper than Sacar. Where do you see the Chief fitting in?I thought he looked a bit lost out there for much of the season.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2015, 07:48:53 AM »
I would be surprised if Wilson was not PG going forward. That position has changed a great deal over past 5 years and now you need a guy that can take it to the basket. IMO he is ideal guy for PG for how the game is currently played.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2015, 08:33:54 AM »
I would be surprised if Wilson was not PG going forward. That position has changed a great deal over past 5 years and now you need a guy that can take it to the basket. IMO he is ideal guy for PG for how the game is currently played.

Carter will have the keys from day one, and I agree with that. You need a PG that can set other players up, and Duane has never had to do that in HS or college. I like him better off the ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2015, 09:22:51 AM »

If Wojo felt the same way I doubt Carter would have been such a priority.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2015, 09:28:08 AM »
I think a lot has to do with the remaining scholarships, but I think the most likely chance of Duane starting at the point was if we landed both Miller and Lee. Now that one is gone, I think it's highly likely we'll see Carter starting.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2015, 09:45:10 AM »

If Wojo felt the same way I doubt Carter would have been such a priority.

Nor would Andrew Rowsey likely be coming in for a visit.  I agree that Wojo seems to want Duane at the two.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2015, 09:53:19 AM »
I think a lot has to do with the remaining scholarships, but I think the most likely chance of Duane starting at the point was if we landed both Miller and Lee. Now that one is gone, I think it's highly likely we'll see Carter starting.
But wait...but wait...Wojo always gets his man! He was 100%. How can Miller be gone? Looks like the old average and mantra are coming down. And that is not meant as a slam to Wojo. Looks like he is a very good recruiter. But the hyperbole on this board: "Wojo always gets his man"; "In Buzz we trust", etc. sometimes gets waaaaayyyy too overzealous.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2015, 10:43:47 AM »
But wait...but wait...Wojo always gets his man! He was 100%. How can Miller be gone? Looks like the old average and mantra are coming down. And that is not meant as a slam to Wojo. Looks like he is a very good recruiter. But the hyperbole on this board: "Wojo always gets his man"; "In Buzz we trust", etc. sometimes gets waaaaayyyy too overzealous.

I posted what I felt was a reality check on this when Mike Edwards committed to Georgia...

And the reality is while Wojo has been wildly successful on the recruiting trail, no one wins them all. We have am experienced center and two 6'10" players in this class. Georgia has no true centers with experience. This feels a bit like Traci Carter in reverse. Edwards wants to play and wants a chance to shine immediately, and someone else has more minutes than we do.

Wojo's a great recruiter, but even the top recruiters in the country like Coach K and John Calipari miss out on recruits. That said, Wojo's track record has been fantastic for a guy with one year on the job. Of the recruits he's gone after the hardest, it seems like he is batting over .500, which is incredible. Jimmy Whitt, Akoy Agau, and Shonn Miller stand out as the ones we seemed to really go for and not get commitments from. That's pretty impressive, considering the wins he's had in the same timespan.