[Today at 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Awards Banquet  (Read 27468 times)

swoopem

• All American
Re: Awards Banquet
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2015, 12:03:30 PM »
I also found it interesting to note who was at Wojo's table.  I'm not going to share that information as some of those folks might like to fly a bit below the radar.  For the record, chick and I were not.

Was it interesting in a good way or not so good way?
Bring back FFP!!!

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2015, 12:07:26 PM »
Was there any talk at the banquet of the new arena?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2015, 12:13:04 PM »
Was there any talk at the banquet of the new arena?

Not a peep.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2015, 12:32:09 PM »
Was it interesting in a good way or not so good way?

I'll say a good way.  Now do understand that there were also folks at Wojo's table that I don't personally know.  And I didn't walk around and examine name tags!  (Scoop names ought to be listed in a parenthetical!)

I will tell you that Advancements needs to do more research on chick and me!  We were given prime seats.  And we're sure as heck not 'high rollers' by big time booster standards.  But it's nice to be treated that way sometimes.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2015, 12:39:54 PM »
I'll say a good way.  Now do understand that there were also folks at Wojo's table that I don't personally know.  And I didn't walk around and examine name tags!  (Scoop names ought to be listed in a parenthetical!)

I will tell you that Advancements needs to do more research on chick and me!  We were given prime seats.  And we're sure as heck not 'high rollers' by big time booster standards.  But it's nice to be treated that way sometimes.

Maybe they research how much legacy you've provided and count that?
Maigh Eo for Sam

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2015, 12:52:52 PM »
I also found it interesting to note who was at Wojo's table.  I'm not going to share that information as some of those folks might like to fly a bit below the radar.  For the record, chick and I were not.

Ners and Willie?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2015, 01:04:12 PM »
I will add that it was a very nice tribute to Fr. Kelly.  He's being 'reassigned' by the Jesuits.  I read that as retiring.  It was clear that the players and coaches love him.
He is going to the St. Camillus residence in Wauwatosa wioth other elderly Jesuits.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2015, 03:19:55 PM »
Boosters.  LOL. No Coach K!

No recruits present to the best of my knowledge.  And Wojo never once mentioned the recruiting class.  It was all about the existing guys.

If you're looking for a Coach K fix...

CHICAGO — Duke men's basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski, a Chicago native, will serve as grand marshal for May 2's Polish Constitution Day Parade.

"It's an honor. It's very exciting, and it's humbling that he remembers and treasures where he comes from," said Anna Zolkowski Sobor, a vice chairman of the parade committee and the 1982 parade queen.

In an email Wednesday, Krzyzewski told DNAinfo Chicago he was "incredibly honored."

“I am incredibly honored to be named grand marshal of the 2015 Polish Constitution Day Parade," Krzyzewski said. "My memories of growing up in Chicago are extremely special to me. I love my hometown, and all of the terrific things that it has provided to our family, both immediate and extended, throughout my life. On May 2, it will be a tremendous celebration of Polish heritage, especially in an area where it is still so vibrant today.”

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2015, 03:32:03 PM »
If you're looking for a Coach K fix...

CHICAGO — Duke men's basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski, a Chicago native, will serve as grand marshal for May 2's Polish Constitution Day Parade.

"It's an honor. It's very exciting, and it's humbling that he remembers and treasures where he comes from," said Anna Zolkowski Sobor, a vice chairman of the parade committee and the 1982 parade queen.

In an email Wednesday, Krzyzewski told DNAinfo Chicago he was "incredibly honored."

“I am incredibly honored to be named grand marshal of the 2015 Polish Constitution Day Parade," Krzyzewski said. "My memories of growing up in Chicago are extremely special to me. I love my hometown, and all of the terrific things that it has provided to our family, both immediate and extended, throughout my life. On May 2, it will be a tremendous celebration of Polish heritage, especially in an area where it is still so vibrant today.”

Wonder if Wojo will make it down

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2015, 05:32:39 PM »

You're high rollers in our minds   ;)

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2015, 06:27:57 PM »

So, how many attended?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2015, 08:12:33 PM »
So, how many attended?

Huge crowd.  Not good at estimating.  Maybe 56 tables of 8?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2015, 08:26:27 PM »
Huge crowd.  Not good at estimating.  Maybe 56 tables of 8?

We had 10 at our table. I'm guessing close to 600 total.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2015, 08:29:48 PM »
Thanks Lenny.  Filled the entire basketball floor.  It was great to see and I sincerely believe Wojo and the team were grateful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2015, 08:36:04 PM »
Thanks Lenny.  Filled the entire basketball floor.  It was great to see and I sincerely believe Wojo and the team were grateful.

Glow - I was really impressed with our players. The whole event was first class - our server introduced himself to me before we sat down. Said if I needed anything to let him know - first class all the way.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2015, 08:39:34 PM »
How was the Chateaubriand?  Mine was a little tough.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2015, 09:00:57 PM »
Glow - I was really impressed with our players. The whole event was first class - our server introduced himself to me before we sat down. Said if I needed anything to let him know - first class all the way.

The Saga legacy.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2015, 03:09:23 AM »
The Saga legacy.

Soviet Attempt to Gas America

That was written on every sh1tter wall in McCormick

Death on call

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2015, 07:12:43 AM »

+1 Hope the schedule allows it to be at the BC every year.  First class event. 

This seems to be Wojo's way. The evening was an important gift to his Seniors in Wojo's eyes.  And the Marotta family presence is a reminder that we're family forever.  Wojo even mentioned that years from now these will be his first Seniors and that they'll come back to celebrate all the new banners.  Hadn't recalled that until now.  Christmas dinner in a way.  Senior Captain Derrick becomes uncle Derrick from now on. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2015, 07:41:01 AM »
+1 Hope the schedule allows it to be at the BC every year.  First class event.

The next couple years, maybe but if it's at the BC in 2018 and definitely beyond, I'll be massively disappointed.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2015, 08:58:37 AM »
+1 Hope the schedule allows it to be at the BC every year.  First class event.  

This seems to be Wojo's way. The evening was an important gift to his Seniors in Wojo's eyes.  And the Marotta family presence is a reminder that we're family forever.  Wojo even mentioned that years from now these will be his first Seniors and that they'll come back to celebrate all the new banners.  Hadn't recalled that until now.  Christmas dinner in a way.  Senior Captain Derrick becomes uncle Derrick from now on.  

Exactly. I've seen way too many times coaches in any sport at any level say all the right things and get everyone to think they're as happy as can be and would never look elsewhere. But I get the feeling that Wojo really wasn't going to leave his comfy chair next to Coach K unless it was an absolutely perfect situation for him. While we certainly are no Duke either in terms of on court success or level of education, we are as close as you are going to get in terms of school dedication to the program and both being smaller private schools in big conferences. From day 1 he made it known what a "privilege" it is to be part of the Marquette tradition (can't say how many times he's said that word). Everything he has done since then has been with that in mind. He is bringing kids in who can not only play, but want to be a part of Marquette basketball. He also immediately reached out to MU alums and went so far as to have the Pro Camp or whatever it was called with all the MU players currently playing professionally coming in. He's reaching out to everyone that has been a part of the program in every way he can, and I really believe that he thinks it is a privilege to be a part of it and if there is a player who doesn't see it that way and just sees it as a means to an end, then good luck to them elsewhere. He really believes that this is a school he can have similar success to a program like Duke and he's going all in to make it happen. I love it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:01:12 AM by LeesWorld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2015, 11:07:06 AM »
Exactly. I've seen way too many times coaches in any sport at any level say all the right things and get everyone to think they're as happy as can be and would never look elsewhere. But I get the feeling that Wojo really wasn't going to leave his comfy chair next to Coach K unless it was an absolutely perfect situation for him. While we certainly are no Duke either in terms of on court success or level of education, we are as close as you are going to get in terms of school dedication to the program and both being smaller private schools in big conferences. From day 1 he made it known what a "privilege" it is to be part of the Marquette tradition (can't say how many times he's said that word). Everything he has done since then has been with that in mind. He is bringing kids in who can not only play, but want to be a part of Marquette basketball. He also immediately reached out to MU alums and went so far as to have the Pro Camp or whatever it was called with all the MU players currently playing professionally coming in. He's reaching out to everyone that has been a part of the program in every way he can, and I really believe that he thinks it is a privilege to be a part of it and if there is a player who doesn't see it that way and just sees it as a means to an end, then good luck to them elsewhere. He really believes that this is a school he can have similar success to a program like Duke and he's going all in to make it happen. I love it.

Well said and my sense as well from being around him.  I'll add one thing.  Maybe he'll never want to return to Duke.  That's Coach K's legacy.  I think he wants his own at a place he sees as sufficiently similar.  When he hangs it up I believe he sincerely hopes to say, 'I played at Duke.  I coached at Marquette.  And I'm incredibly proud of both.'  I really believe that's in his heart here in 2015.  Whether it works out only time will tell.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2015, 11:18:11 AM »
I enjoyed the banquet. Got a chance to talk with Brian Brunkhorst and his wife Steff for the first time in ages. They both look great - his recovery has been remarkable. He introduced us to his nephew, Matt Carlino - really a nice young man who thoroughly enjoyed his Marquette experience. He, Derrick and Juan will be good ambassadors for the program going forward. I have no facts, but a couple of players I talked to thought we have a better shot with Shon Miller than with Lee. To me, Wojo comes across as all in - he's not a great speaker (robotic and repetitive) but his sincerity and competitiveness shine through. I think he'll be around for a long while.

I heard that he was head over heels for Marquette.   ;)
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2015, 11:23:25 AM »
Yep.  That's my take too.  I think he believes that he has a forum in Milwaukee to build greatness over the long haul.  My favorite comments consistently revolve around his 'privilege to wear the uniform' theme.  I think he genuinely believes that it's a privilege to coach Marquette.

The kernel of the answer to "Why is STJr. not being seen around?"  may be in your post.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2015, 11:26:51 AM »
I do wish I knew what happened to STjr.  Chick was right.  Banished like a failed Soviet leader or Moses in the Ten Commandments.  Is it Wojo's way of saying that you're either part of the family or not?  From what little bit I know Steve did feel it was a privilege to wear the uniform.  Perhaps not quite enough from Wojo's seat.  Steve was fully prepared to leave last year. That I'm certain about.  I don't have any inside info on how that dynamic played out this year.  But as Daddy said, that door is closed.  Too bad.  Hopefully a win/win.

Added.  I was typing just as Wade posted.  I hope we find out someday.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 11:29:41 AM by jsglow »