Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big Ten vs Big East match ups announcements next week?  (Read 42811 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: Big Ten vs Big East match ups announcements next week?
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2015, 04:35:09 PM »
Is it a stretch to see the Big East winning 5 of the 8 games?  I'm predicting that Maryland, Michigan and Indiana take care of business.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Ludum habemus.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2015, 04:47:42 PM »
I was really hoping for Purdue. They're going to be solid next season and playing either here or there the atmosphere is excellent and both arenas are great on TV. I'm pretty disappointed but that's life.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2015, 04:58:18 PM »
I was really hoping for Purdue. They're going to be solid next season and playing either here or there the atmosphere is excellent and both arenas are great on TV. I'm pretty disappointed but that's life.

Iowa is a good one especially at home for next year.

Def beatable but still a tough team. Utoff is a goofy lookin dude but can ball.

Our team is still a big ? So getting a solid but not great team at home is nice.

Winnable but not a joke
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

🏀

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2015, 05:04:09 PM »
BOOooooOooooooooOOOOoooooooOOOOoooo

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2015, 05:18:41 PM »
During my four years at MU we played Iowa twice and went 0-2 in those games, so a victory against them next year would be extra sweet.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2015, 05:43:49 PM »
Is it a stretch to see the Big East winning 5 of the 8 games?  I'm predicting that Maryland, Michigan and Indiana take care of business.

Nope those should be the only 3 games they're favored in, so 5/8 should be the minimum for the BE.

I'm predicting a 7/8 win for the BE.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2015, 05:45:42 PM »
This is a terrible lineup for FS1.

Nebraska at Villanova
Illinois at Providence
Rutgers at St John's
Iowa at Marquette

The Big 10 had seven tourney teams last year, only one will play on FS1, and against the 9th place team in our league. Yes, we have higher hopes, but this is still a ninth place team in a ten team league that lost three starters. And that's the marquee game on FS1.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2015, 06:22:47 PM »
The matchups aren't as bad as I originally thought.  Of the 8 B1G teams the Big East plays this year, three of those teams were in the top seven (Maryland, Iowa, Purdue) and the other five were in the bottom seven (Michigan, Illinois, Nebraska, Penn State, Rutgers).  Michigan and Illinois, while finishing in the bottom half last year, are still high quality programs.  Michigan made the Elite Eight just a season ago.

I would have much rather preferred taking teams 4-11, in order to avoid the bottom three teams (Nebraska, Penn State Rutgers) from the B1G.  Under that scenario, while we still would not have played Wisconsin, Maryland or Michigan State, we would have then been able to face Purdue, Ohio State, Minnesota and Northwestern instead.  You sacrifice not playing the top-3 teams by not playing the bottom-3 teams.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2015, 06:25:23 PM »
This is a terrible lineup for FS1.

Nebraska at Villanova
Illinois at Providence
Rutgers at St John's
Iowa at Marquette

The Big 10 had seven tourney teams last year, only one will play on FS1, and against the 9th place team in our league. Yes, we have higher hopes, but this is still a ninth place team in a ten team league that lost three starters. And that's the marquee game on FS1.

Whatever. I'm done worrying about what's good for FS1. I'm just going to focus on MU...and I like the Iowa game.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2015, 06:38:52 PM »
All four are state schools from the B1G on FS1. Nebraska finished in the top 10 in attendance and have two top 100's coming in.

It's only year one. Wish FS1 could've landed a higher profile Big Ten school.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2015, 11:27:39 PM »
Iowa is a good one especially at home for next year.

Def beatable but still a tough team. Utoff is a goofy lookin dude but can ball.

Our team is still a big ? So getting a solid but not great team at home is nice.

Winnable but not a joke

MU should be gelling early due to the Italy trip, so hopefully that gives us an early season edge.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2015, 06:35:55 AM »
The matchups aren't as bad as I originally thought.

Agreed.  A lot of complaining about something that is in year one of an eight year agreement.  People were posting every marquee match up possible and then complaining when it doesn't happen.

Iowa will be a fun game too.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2015, 08:07:13 AM »
The matchups aren't as bad as I originally thought.  Of the 8 B1G teams the Big East plays this year, three of those teams were in the top seven (Maryland, Iowa, Purdue) and the other five were in the bottom seven (Michigan, Illinois, Nebraska, Penn State, Rutgers).  Michigan and Illinois, while finishing in the bottom half last year, are still high quality programs.  Michigan made the Elite Eight just a season ago.

I would have much rather preferred taking teams 4-11, in order to avoid the bottom three teams (Nebraska, Penn State Rutgers) from the B1G.  Under that scenario, while we still would not have played Wisconsin, Maryland or Michigan State, we would have then been able to face Purdue, Ohio State, Minnesota and Northwestern instead.  You sacrifice not playing the top-3 teams by not playing the bottom-3 teams.

The way it is setup is that every from the Big 10 will appear at least 4 times. This pretty much assures that the 6 teams left out this year will be in next year. But the college game swings so quickly who knows who will actually be good/bad from year to year.

Since this was put together this year and a lot of scheduling is don years in advance it was probably hard in year one to get room on some schools schedules. Now they can plan ahead but still have to make sure all schools get their chances. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2015, 09:00:26 AM »

Agreed.  A lot of complaining about something that is in year one of an eight year agreement.  People were posting every marquee match up possible and then complaining when it doesn't happen.

Iowa will be a fun game too.

My feeling exactly. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2015, 11:42:56 AM »
Whatever. I'm done worrying about what's good for FS1. I'm just going to focus on MU...and I like the Iowa game.

Bingo!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2015, 12:38:36 PM »
All the matchups...

Xavier @ Michigan
Creighton @ Ind
Rutgers @ St. John's
Ill @ Prov
Neb @ Nova
Penn St vs DePaul
Iowa vs Marquette
G'town vs MD
I think this is a solid set of match ups the first year. Big East has the ability to win every game.  Would be nice to come out of it 5-3 or 6-2. Iowa a very good pick for us and will likely sell out the BC as they travel well.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GOO

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2015, 12:42:21 PM »
I think this is a solid set of match ups the first year. Big East has the ability to win every game.  Would be nice to come out of it 5-3 or 6-2. Iowa a very good pick for us and will likely sell out the BC as they travel well.

Are people thinking that Creighton is going to be good next year?  I have no idea and don't follow other teams much.  But based upon last year and their recruiting, I just don't see them beating Indiana as Indiana should be pretty good. Marquette should not be favored against Iowa at this point. DePaul and Penn State a toss up, and maybe the same with Rutgers/St. Johns, although St. Johns could be pretty good.  Maryland should be favored over GT.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:44:33 PM by GOO »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2015, 01:23:19 PM »
Are people thinking that Creighton is going to be good next year?  I have no idea and don't follow other teams much.  But based upon last year and their recruiting, I just don't see them beating Indiana as Indiana should be pretty good. Marquette should not be favored against Iowa at this point. DePaul and Penn State a toss up, and maybe the same with Rutgers/St. Johns, although St. Johns could be pretty good.  Maryland should be favored over GT.

Creighton will be interesting next year. They are adding two transfers and a top-100 redshirt that didn't play this past year. Maurice Watson, who transferred in from Boston University, is very good. Like he had NBA scouts watching him before he transferred to a bigger conference good. They also add Nevada transfer Cole Huff, a 6'8" athletic big that averaged 12.4 ppg/5.4 rpg while shooting over 40% from three. Ronnie Harrell will be the redshirt, supposed to be an excellent player.

Creighton lost games that they led in the final minute six times this year. That's crazy. Those three, along with Zierden and Hegner is a solid foundation. Will probably depend on how fast they gel, but at least their fans expect them to be significantly better than last year.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2015, 08:10:57 AM »
According to SI.com, G'Town and Maryland are going to play each other in back to back years in the Gavitt Tipoff....

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/04/21/maryland-georgetown-series-gavitt-games-rivalry

"In 2015-16, the teams will meet at Xfinity Center in College Park, Md., as part of the Gavitt Tipoff Games between the Big East and Big Ten. The Terps and Hoyas will then play in 2016-17 at Verizon Center in Washington, D.C., for the same event, according to the Washington Post."

feedback