[Today at 06:37:13 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Damion Lee gives his finalists .... MU is one of them  (Read 121414 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Damion Lee gives his finalists .... MU is one of them
« on: April 12, 2015, 01:52:23 PM »
That's some pretty heady company Wojo is running with.

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN
Damion Lee, arguably most coveted transfer in country, told ESPN has narrowed list to Arizona, Gonzaga, Louisville, Marquette, Maryland.

http://collegebasketball.scout.com/story/1536828-lee-narrows-list-to-five?s=196

Damion Lee, who averaged 21.4 points a game last year for Drexel, cut his list of schools to five.
Damion Lee, one of the top available graduate transfers, informed Scout that he has cut his list down to five schools. The finalists include Arizona, Gonzaga, Louisville, Marquette and Maryland.

“With all of them it's mainly the fit,” Lee explained. “It's a goal I set for myself and what I want to accomplish for myself in the next year. All the schools meet the criteria. Those are the five main ones.”

Lee told Scout what he likes about each of the five:

Arizona: “They have a great coaching staff. They have some good guards that are coming in and that have been there. Just the experience and playing in the PAC-12, which is a free flowing league that is guard heavy. They have an open offense.”

Gonzaga: “They possibly have the best frontcourt in the nation with [Domantas] Sabonis and [Przemek] Karnowski and they lost all three of their guards this past year. Once again, they made it to the tournament and have a great coaching staff with coach [Mark] Few.”

Louisville: “Playing in arguably best conference in the ACC. Of course playing for coach [Rick] Pitino, he’s a Hall of Fame coach. The guys they are bringing, they are looking pretty good in the ACC.”

Marquette: “Wojo is a great guy and a great coach. Playing in the Big East, they are supposed to be really good this year with Henry Ellenson coming in. He’s a top five player. Luke Fischer is coming in and he’s a good big man. They have some talented freshman in.”

Maryland: “They have Melo [Trimble] and Jake [Layman] coming back and Diamond Stone coming in and the transfer Rob Carter that sat out last year. Playing in the Big Ten and they should be preseason ranked. All these teams should be preseason ranked top 25. They have pretty good point guard play too.”

Lee has already set visits to Arizona (April 17-19) and Louisville (19-21). Lee told Scout that he’s not sure when he’ll make his college choice.

“I was thinking sometime in May,” he said. “I haven’t really put a definite stamp on on it. I’m thinking at the beginning of May, which gives myself the chance to take visits and see how it feels at these schools.”

Lee, a 6-foot-6 wing, is eligible to play next season.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 02:14:08 PM by Pakuni »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Damion Lee gives his finalists .... MU is one of them
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 02:07:21 PM »
Those are some big boy schools. Go get em Wojo. I feel like a screen name change is in order.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 02:08:17 PM »
Baltimore Mojo, a'nia?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 02:11:58 PM »
God. I really don't like our odds up against that. I figured maryland but jeez it really is a power house list.

Great on Wojo making it on his final list though.

Still praying for a miracle!!
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 02:15:38 PM »
God. I really don't like our odds up against that. I figured maryland but jeez it really is a power house list.

Great on Wojo making it on his final list though.

Still praying for a miracle!!

We can offer playing time.  Not sure how much others can offer in that regard.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 02:22:23 PM »

True.

While actually all of them really can. Gonzaga lost 3 guards. Zona their starting 2 and 3. UL lost Rozier and jones(gained lewis) and maryland lost wells.

Our situation allows him to clearly be "the guy" and basically play as much as humanly possible. The rest have obvious starting spot for a guy like him. But maybe not as much usage and ability to showcase himself.

Either way, great that wojo made the final 5.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 02:40:01 PM »
Sounds like he's done his homework on MU.  And correct me if I'm wrong ... I don't recall recruits  (grad transfers or high school players ) talking about other players this much.  Agree?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 02:50:46 PM »
Sounds like he's done his homework on MU.  And correct me if I'm wrong ... I don't recall recruits  (grad transfers or high school players ) talking about other players this much.  Agree?

Yeah its actually impressive how much he said about each team.

I realize all players research the situation but I definitely don't see one give this in depth of answers about all their finalists.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 02:56:19 PM »
Also Zona fans at least clearly think they know something.

Say hes a lock when Johnson ultimately decides to leave

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
It is indeed heady company but that's exCtly where we want to be. Win anew if these and look out!  Marquette has done well featuring graduate transfer so he could fit in nicely and with a great front court and very good guards supporting. Nice fit really.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 03:41:09 PM »

Hes a one year player. Everyone is offering him playing time.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 04:03:27 PM »
Also Zona fans at least clearly think they know something.

Say hes a lock when Johnson ultimately decides to leave

They are the one to beat imo. Just a great atmosphere at UA all around. If Miller really wants him they will be tough to beat out. I do like that Wojo is slugging with the big boys though.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 04:08:46 PM »
I think the difference with MU is that Lee can be "the guy" right away. Yes were getting Ellenson and I do think he will be a fantastic player but he's still going to be a Freshman. Hypothetical here, if MU lands Lee where does that put us for next year's postseason? I'd put us as a 6 seed.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 04:10:52 PM »
I think the difference with MU is that Lee can be "the guy" right away. Yes were getting Ellenson and I do think he will be a fantastic player but he's still going to be a Freshman. Hypothetical here, if MU lands Lee where does that put us for next year's postseason? I'd put us as a 6 seed.

O yeah I think a 6 forsure and that is before any possible addition at the 4.

But Zona fans are saying it's literally being reported he's coming to Zona.

They are his first scheduled visit...damn.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 04:36:15 PM »
Yeah its actually impressive how much he said about each team.

I realize all players research the situation but I definitely don't see one give this in depth of answers about all their finalists.

Yeah, and the other thing that struck me is that the article implies a more personal relationship with Wojo as compared to the other teams... Clearly I'm judging this on just a few words, but he went as far as to say Wojo is a "great guy" in addition to his coaching.

Wojo overall has done a hell of a job putting a personal touch on his recruiting. Even without the quote in this article, it's pretty clear he is continuing that trend. I think he relates to kids very well.

That said, I'd choose Tucson if I was in Damion's position. Great program and fun college town feel in a bigger city. With him they'd have to be considered one of the favorites for next year. Hopefully, he's more interested in the underdog story and playing for Wojo.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 04:44:14 PM by yetipro »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 04:51:53 PM »
Hes a one year player. Everyone is offering him playing time.

You sure about that?  He comes to MU, he probably gets 25 mpg minimum.  That's going to be offered elsewhere?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 05:29:20 PM »
None of his finalists are likely to win the NCAA next year. Arizona and Louisville on paper seem to be able to go the deepest. Marquette and Maryland have good classes coming in. All of us play in great conferences.

Therefore, the question is which school gives him his last best chance to prep for an NBA career. I'd like to think us, but the smart money would likely be on Arizona or Louisville.

Here's hoping I lose… big!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 05:35:47 PM »
When does Luke Fischer arrive on campus?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 05:48:56 PM »
The comment about Fischer was the only fault I could see in his "research" which I suspect was basically just listening to what coaches told him.  I bet after the article came out, someone from Marquette contacted him to correct what he said about Luke.

I'm not feeling confident at all about this.  Marquette probably has 30 minutes a game for him to realistically expect (unless practice reveals some defensive lapses to clean up.)  The problem is he's banking on a big year to boost him in the draft and if he goes to Marquette that's going to ride on a freshman point guard who didn't make the top 100.  Is Traci Carter better than his ranking?  Probably, but that's an unknown that I would exploit, if I was recruiting against MU.

TAMU Eagle - I'm thinking that my 1 in 7 chance isn't looking weak as a prediction right now.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 05:51:01 PM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 06:33:10 PM »
The comment about Fischer was the only fault I could see in his "research" which I suspect was basically just listening to what coaches told him.  I bet after the article came out, someone from Marquette contacted him to correct what he said about Luke.

I'm not feeling confident at all about this.  Marquette probably has 30 minutes a game for him to realistically expect (unless practice reveals some defensive lapses to clean up.)  The problem is he's banking on a big year to boost him in the draft and if he goes to Marquette that's going to ride on a freshman point guard who didn't make the top 100.  Is Traci Carter better than his ranking?  Probably, but that's an unknown that I would exploit, if I was recruiting against MU.

TAMU Eagle - I'm thinking that my 1 in 7 chance isn't looking weak as a prediction right now.

I don't think we will always have a standard PG floor general on the floor. From what we've seen I think Wojo prefers an offense where everyone is capable of passing and shares that role. Derrick was relegated to a passing-only role in his career but mainly because he wasn't good at anything else.

If Duane can improve his decision-making I'm not sure that Wojo absolutely must insert a weaker player into the lineup in order for us to fill the standard PG, SG, SF, PF, C.

That said, if Traci proves he is the next best guard and he can make good decisions, it would be great to have him in the lineup consistently.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 06:46:14 PM »
2011-12 CAA Rookie of the Year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMocfaQe5QM

2014 post-knee surgery (sustained vs Zona!) interview
https://vimeo.com/114052510

Kid is gonna be a great get if he commits to MU!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 06:49:11 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 07:10:05 PM »
I don't think we will always have a standard PG floor general on the floor. From what we've seen I think Wojo prefers an offense where everyone is capable of passing and shares that role. Derrick was relegated to a passing-only role in his career but mainly because he wasn't good at anything else.

If Duane can improve his decision-making I'm not sure that Wojo absolutely must insert a weaker player into the lineup in order for us to fill the standard PG, SG, SF, PF, C.

That said, if Traci proves he is the next best guard and he can make good decisions, it would be great to have him in the lineup consistently.

Yeah like I've said before. Hypothetically if we have Lee and Carter isn't ready for full time minutes. I think wojo is A ok with having guys like Lee, Duane and even JJJ split the half court duties. All 3 are fully capable of driving and making plays. And in the case of Duane and Lee at least you can't sag off.

Also worth noting. I don't think wojo has shown any interest in Williams-Goss from Washington. Might be that he really believes in Traci.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 07:15:08 PM »
People are getting ahead of themselves........Still a long shot that MU gets him....just a bit less of a long shot now.

Lets hope Wojo can get him to visit.......

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 07:17:58 PM »
People are getting ahead of themselves........

Who?  I don't see many optimistic statements in this thread.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 07:36:09 PM »
People are getting ahead of themselves........Still a long shot that MU gets him....just a bit less of a long shot now.

Lets hope Wojo can get him to visit.......

Yeah I don't think any of us believe we really have much of a shot.

That's when I thought he was going to maryland.

Now that I hear Zona is the favorite....FML

feedback