collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: This one is for Keefe!  (Read 33602 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: This one is for Keefe!
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2015, 02:18:47 PM »
Maybe I'm being a bit obtuse, but am I the only one thinking that the US would be well protected in the skies with a strike airfleet consisting predominantly of Hornets, Warthogs and UAVs?  Consider that the enemies we're fighting today are pretty much going to be the same forces we're fighting in the future... the JSF might help if we were eventually going to war with China or the USSR v2.0, but if that actually were to happen, I'd be more worried about expiration dates in my nuclear bunker than which side has the fanciest jets.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2015, 02:23:41 PM »
Why did we give up on F22 so quickly? I was under the impression that it was light years ahead of enemy technology.

Two totally different aircraft and totally different missions.  F-22 is intended for winning the battlespace and the F-35 is intended to be an attack/self-defense aircraft.  F-35 was born out of the reaction (to a certain extent) by congress of how bloody damn expensive the Raptor is as well as new aircraft acquisition costs in general.  We'll have something like 160 F-22s by the end of FY18 so it will be considered the USAF's primary air superiority fighter with the Eagles being primary back-up in that role.  I have very few connections to the Raptors so Keefe would speak to that much better than I.

Keefe, what's the latest on the shelf life for the Vipers?  Do they phase out as the JSF comes on-board?  If so, god help whoever tries to fly Wild Weasel with an F-35.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2015, 02:37:09 PM »
Maybe I'm being a bit obtuse, but am I the only one thinking that the US would be well protected in the skies with a strike airfleet consisting predominantly of Hornets, Warthogs and UAVs?  Consider that the enemies we're fighting today are pretty much going to be the same forces we're fighting in the future... the JSF might help if we were eventually going to war with China or the USSR v2.0, but if that actually were to happen, I'd be more worried about expiration dates in my nuclear bunker than which side has the fanciest jets.

Keep in mind, the JSF is primarily not about new technology....it was suppose to be about more affordable airframes and reduced life cycle costs.  The F-35 was supposed to fill so many roles with so much compatibility amongst the variants that the supply chain would be super cheap and we'd build so many airframes we'd get economy of scale so each one would be cheaper.  PLUS we'll add on stealth....bam, we're all set.

The thinking went that we can replace the following platforms with a single platform:
F-16 (~950 aircraft)
F-18 (~400)
AV-8 (~80)
some F-15 roles (the rest are replaced by F-22s)

All that packed into one airframe?!?!  The cost savings are enormous and inevitable  ;) ;D

Then we layered technology on top.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2015, 04:42:53 PM »
Keep in mind, the JSF is primarily not about new technology....it was suppose to be about more affordable airframes and reduced life cycle costs.  The F-35 was supposed to fill so many roles with so much compatibility amongst the variants that the supply chain would be super cheap and we'd build so many airframes we'd get economy of scale so each one would be cheaper.  PLUS we'll add on stealth....bam, we're all set.

The thinking went that we can replace the following platforms with a single platform:
F-16 (~950 aircraft)
F-18 (~400)
AV-8 (~80)
some F-15 roles (the rest are replaced by F-22s)

All that packed into one airframe?!?!  The cost savings are enormous and inevitable  ;) ;D

Then we layered technology on top.

Several variants, many roles, many frames, economies of scale... but at the end of the day, one plane.  Hopefully the planes weakness(es) vary amongst the variants; otherwise, we just made the enemy's counter-operations a heck of a lot easier.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2015, 07:30:03 AM »
This one is for Keefe!

From the current Connecticut Magazine, one of your favorite eateries is mentioned.

http://www.connecticutmag.com/Blog/The-Connecticut-Table/June-2015/Where-Craft-Beer-Mingles-With-Good-Food-Six-Connecticut-Hotspots/

Where Craft Beer Mingles With Good Food: Six Connecticut Hotspots

By Connecticut Magazine staff

To the uninitiated, the term “beer bar” might sound redundant. After all, don’t almost all bars have beer? And isn’t calling one a “beer bar” like calling a dining establishment a “food restaurant?” The answer is yes and no. While the majority of bars have beer, not all bars have great beer.

Connecticut has seen more than six new breweries open this year and, as the number of local breweries has increased, so has the public’s thirst for specialty beer. Consequently, quality suds have become available in unexpected places, from sports bars to catering halls.

But there are certain establishments where beer is the undisputed king. At these true beer bars, each beverage is examined with the care of an antiques appraisal and employees scour local, national and international offerings for the best brews.

Here is a six-pack of Connecticut beer bars, chosen not only because these establishments are passionate about beer but also because they employ a similar craft-first attitude to the food they offer. (This is the first in a series of at least four six-packs (a.k.a. stories) on great places in Connecticut that marry good food with a serious devotion to craft beer, so stay tuned.)

Coalhouse Pizza, Stamford
At first glance, Coalhouse Pizza doesn’t look like a world-class beer bar. With its bright lighting and images of famous musicians on the walls, it seems more like a fun place to grab an excellent pizza with the family (which incidentally it also is) than a place that can make a beer nerd’s eyes light up.

But don’t let first impressions fool you. Coalhouse has an epic beer list and passion for craft that can go toe-to-toe with the hippest of dimly lit hipster bars. The bar and restaurant currently features 52 draft lines and will soon expand to 85 lines following the addition of an 850-square-foot bar area that will add more than 150 varieties of bourbon and whiskey.

Owner Gerard Robertson is a passionate beer lover and champion of craft beer. Coal­house was the first place in Fairfield County to carry Beer’d brews and an early proponent of New England Brewing Co. The place also hosts events from tap takeovers to homebrew competitions to brewer meet-and-greets. Unlike some bars with dozens of draft lines, here the beer is always clean and fresh.

“Every day of the week, year round, we run a $12 pitcher special featuring 10 to 20 different Connecticut craft brewers,” Robertson says. “We keep our prices notably less than other craft beer venues because we think craft beer should be available to everyone.”

The restaurant’s “craft pizza” lives up to the  beer—pizzas are cooked at high temperatures that sear in flavor and add a delicious char and smoke taste.

Robertson recommends pairing IPAs with Coalhouse’s marinated chicken wings and sauces. He adds wheat beers are “perfect with our ‘Bumpin' on Sunset Pizza,’” which features goat cheese, bosc pears, red onions, pistachios and honey truffle oil.

(203) 977-7700, coalhousepizza.com On Twitter at @COALHOUSE_PIZZA

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2015, 10:12:59 AM »

Keefe, what's the latest on the shelf life for the Vipers?  Do they phase out as the JSF comes on-board?  If so, god help whoever tries to fly Wild Weasel with an F-35.

This is a very political can of worms. The USAF Corona Plan was to retire the A 10, keep CJs and Vipers in the fleet for air-2-mud, and start standing up F 35 squadrons. According to Corona, the limiting factor in flying all three tails is maintenance support.

The official USAF 4-star position is that Big Blue cannot provide maintenance support for all three platforms and must stand down CJs and Vipers if Congress forces the USAF to keep the A 10. At the end of the day we are talking about 1,100 enlisted maintainer billets. Effectively, according to Corona, the AF will be forced to mothball billions of dollars worth of F 16s because of a $13M manpower shortfall.

In an interesting twist, the Army Chief of Staff Ray Odierno (whom I know from my time as the CAS Chief for III Corps when he was MNC-I,) testified to Congress that he would pay for the A 10 out of the Army's OPTAR budget; I know personally that Odierno is a HUGE fan of the A 10 because he recognizes its value as an exceptional force multiplier that saves lives in the field.

Another dimension to the A 10 story is that a large number of Hawgs are actually part of the ANG inventory and the Guard has its own political constituencies. Way back when the USAF assigned a large % of A 10 tails to the Air Guard because CAS was not as sexy as strategic bombing the enemy into submission or shooting down our adversary one tail at a time. As the Berlin Wall came down and the warfighting paradigm shifted to asymetric warfare the A 10 emerged as the preeminent  air combat asset. In an ironic twist, a Cold War decision to dump the A 10 into the Air Guard came back to haunt Mother Air Force both operationally and, more importantly, politically.

ANG squadrons bring lots of solid jobs to towns like Kalamazoo, Willow Grove, and Fort Wayne. For every airline pilot flying Hawgs on weekends there are dozens of full-time maintainer, admin, and ops jobs to keep the fleet combat ready. And the Guard guys are Title 32 so they report to the Governor and not President (until activated into Title 10 status.)

Since you asked about SEAD the primary Wild Weasel and Iron Hand platforms are the CJ and the Prowler/Growler. One of the reasons I screened for PEP and flew Prowlers was my experience as a CJ driver. Even if the USAF mothballs F 16s they need to keep the CJs operational for the Wild Weasel mission. My father flew Thuds and F 4Gs back in the day and I know he was pleased that I picked up the torch and flew Wild Weasel CJs. Looking back, the Wild Weasel mission is a really crazy way to make a living. I am not certain my young bride knew exactly how stupid I was or how likely she would be a widow if the balloon had gone up and we went toe-2-toe with Ivan.   

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2015, 10:13:59 AM »
Why did we give up on F22 so quickly? I was under the impression that it was light years ahead of enemy technology.

the 22 and 35 are very different platforms with completely different missions

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2015, 10:17:58 AM »
This one is for Keefe!

From the current Connecticut Magazine, one of your favorite eateries is mentioned.

http://www.connecticutmag.com/Blog/The-Connecticut-Table/June-2015/Where-Craft-Beer-Mingles-With-Good-Food-Six-Connecticut-Hotspots/

Where Craft Beer Mingles With Good Food: Six Connecticut Hotspots

By Connecticut Magazine staff

To the uninitiated, the term “beer bar” might sound redundant. After all, don’t almost all bars have beer? And isn’t calling one a “beer bar” like calling a dining establishment a “food restaurant?” The answer is yes and no. While the majority of bars have beer, not all bars have great beer.

Connecticut has seen more than six new breweries open this year and, as the number of local breweries has increased, so has the public’s thirst for specialty beer. Consequently, quality suds have become available in unexpected places, from sports bars to catering halls.

But there are certain establishments where beer is the undisputed king. At these true beer bars, each beverage is examined with the care of an antiques appraisal and employees scour local, national and international offerings for the best brews.

Here is a six-pack of Connecticut beer bars, chosen not only because these establishments are passionate about beer but also because they employ a similar craft-first attitude to the food they offer. (This is the first in a series of at least four six-packs (a.k.a. stories) on great places in Connecticut that marry good food with a serious devotion to craft beer, so stay tuned.)

Coalhouse Pizza, Stamford
At first glance, Coalhouse Pizza doesn’t look like a world-class beer bar. With its bright lighting and images of famous musicians on the walls, it seems more like a fun place to grab an excellent pizza with the family (which incidentally it also is) than a place that can make a beer nerd’s eyes light up.

But don’t let first impressions fool you. Coalhouse has an epic beer list and passion for craft that can go toe-to-toe with the hippest of dimly lit hipster bars. The bar and restaurant currently features 52 draft lines and will soon expand to 85 lines following the addition of an 850-square-foot bar area that will add more than 150 varieties of bourbon and whiskey.

Owner Gerard Robertson is a passionate beer lover and champion of craft beer. Coal­house was the first place in Fairfield County to carry Beer’d brews and an early proponent of New England Brewing Co. The place also hosts events from tap takeovers to homebrew competitions to brewer meet-and-greets. Unlike some bars with dozens of draft lines, here the beer is always clean and fresh.

“Every day of the week, year round, we run a $12 pitcher special featuring 10 to 20 different Connecticut craft brewers,” Robertson says. “We keep our prices notably less than other craft beer venues because we think craft beer should be available to everyone.”

The restaurant’s “craft pizza” lives up to the  beer—pizzas are cooked at high temperatures that sear in flavor and add a delicious char and smoke taste.

Robertson recommends pairing IPAs with Coalhouse’s marinated chicken wings and sauces. He adds wheat beers are “perfect with our ‘Bumpin' on Sunset Pizza,’” which features goat cheese, bosc pears, red onions, pistachios and honey truffle oil.

(203) 977-7700, coalhousepizza.com On Twitter at @COALHOUSE_PIZZA

Great stuff, Nutmeg! Love me some Coalhouse!!

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2015, 12:51:22 PM »
Since you asked about SEAD the primary Wild Weasel and Iron Hand platforms are the CJ and the Prowler/Growler. One of the reasons I screened for PEP and flew Prowlers was my experience as a CJ driver. Even if the USAF mothballs F 16s they need to keep the CJs operational for the Wild Weasel mission. My father flew Thuds and F 4Gs back in the day and I know he was pleased that I picked up the torch and flew Wild Weasel CJs. Looking back, the Wild Weasel mission is a really crazy way to make a living. I am not certain my young bride knew exactly how stupid I was or how likely she would be a widow if the balloon had gone up and we went toe-2-toe with Ivan.   

It was where I was looking to go myself(hence the question), especially when they were moving to the Growler but alas it was not to be.

Did the CJs ever get the Falcon Edge upgrade (part of Block 60 for UAE).  My dad was the program manager for Falcon Edge at Northup in the late 90s.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2015, 03:17:18 PM »
It was where I was looking to go myself(hence the question), especially when they were moving to the Growler but alas it was not to be.

Did the CJs ever get the Falcon Edge upgrade (part of Block 60 for UAE).  My dad was the program manager for Falcon Edge at Northup in the late 90s.

The last significant CJ upgrade was the Block 52 which integrated the HARM/STARM/Shrike ASQ 213 targeting package as well as the avionics suite for RIVET JOINT battle management support.

The new projected Viper is an F 16 CJ/DJ Block 52 that incorporates a robusted AESA radar system. The problem with the V is that it weighs almost 4,000 pounds more than a straight F 16.

The Block 60 is only flown by allies (I don't know exactly who has it but I have seen UAE Block 60s at Red Flags.) I understand they have the robusted AESA radar as well as improved ECM/DECM/ESM capabilities which is probably the Falcon Edge package. The UAE birds also have conformal internal stores which make it look like a Mirage from certain aspects while airborne.

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2015, 05:48:53 PM »
20,000 lbs vs 1500 lbs collide in mid air today

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/07/officials-f-16-small-plane-collide-in-midair-over-south-carolina/?intcmp=latestnews

what do you think went wrong?  communications?  flight plans?  are the cessna's visual only or do they have the necessary instrumentations or would that not have made any difference?
don't...don't don't don't don't

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2015, 07:07:01 PM »
20,000 lbs vs 1500 lbs collide in mid air today

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/07/officials-f-16-small-plane-collide-in-midair-over-south-carolina/?intcmp=latestnews

what do you think went wrong?  communications?  flight plans?  are the cessna's visual only or do they have the necessary instrumentations or would that not have made any difference?

It sounds like there was a problem with the F 16 and the mid air was inadvertent but we need to wait for the mishap investigation. Class Alpha mishaps are very serious matters and the Lawn Dart driver is going to be poked and prodded in every way possible to get at the facts.

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2015, 02:38:28 PM »
The last significant CJ upgrade was the Block 52 which integrated the HARM/STARM/Shrike ASQ 213 targeting package as well as the avionics suite for RIVET JOINT battle management support.

The new projected Viper is an F 16 CJ/DJ Block 52 that incorporates a robusted AESA radar system. The problem with the V is that it weighs almost 4,000 pounds more than a straight F 16.

The Block 60 is only flown by allies (I don't know exactly who has it but I have seen UAE Block 60s at Red Flags.) I understand they have the robusted AESA radar as well as improved ECM/DECM/ESM capabilities which is probably the Falcon Edge package. The UAE birds also have conformal internal stores which make it look like a Mirage from certain aspects while airborne.

So they updated the data bus in the Block 52D? 

Falcon Edge slaved the ANQ-165 to the RWR suite as well as give the threat receiver bearing and range capability.  I think it was also the first time the multiplex data bus was deployed (1533) but I could be wrong about that.

I know the Block 60 was built specifically by UAE and they funded the entire damn thing, but I don't know if anyone else is flying them these days.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2015, 06:22:20 PM »
So they updated the data bus in the Block 52D? 

Falcon Edge slaved the ANQ-165 to the RWR suite as well as give the threat receiver bearing and range capability.  I think it was also the first time the multiplex data bus was deployed (1533) but I could be wrong about that.

I know the Block 60 was built specifically by UAE and they funded the entire damn thing, but I don't know if anyone else is flying them these days.

The Block 60 upgrades were in power plant because of the huge weight increase and in targeting systems (LANTIRN/FLIR/AESA integration.) We played with UAE Block 60s at Red Flag and were able to spoof that system fairly easily though not with the ease we had been in other series. In essence, the Block 60 Falcon is a cheaper alternative to the 35 for allied forces.

The ALQ 165 is really a Navy system so I don't know too much about the specifics (I am very familiar with the ALQ 99, however.) I know Block 50 series birds employ the ALR 56 and that is a superb system for operating down in the dirt in high threat environments. As for RIVET JOINT integration we should likely refrain from going into those details on Scoop unless we want to have the FBI knock on our doors... 

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2015, 07:17:53 PM »
As for RIVET JOINT integration we should likely refrain from going into those details on Scoop unless we want to have the FBI knock on our doors... 

Oh so now who is discouraged by less than savory destinations.  ;) ;D

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2015, 09:36:56 PM »
Oh so now who is discouraged by less than savory destinations.  ;) ;D

My tail pipe has been egress only and I intend to keep it that way. Leavenworth ain't for Lovers...

Death on call

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2015, 10:23:17 PM »
I never realized the A-10 had such a wimpy little gun attached to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd2QyIEdDGc

Wish the video was longer.  Pretty cool.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2015, 04:37:42 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/H4LOGfuuugc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/H4LOGfuuugc</a>

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2015, 08:13:09 PM »
SS Marquette

StillAWarrior

• All American
Another One for Keefe
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2015, 12:43:52 PM »
I just saw an interesting time-lapse video showing the maintenance/rebuild of a U-2 that is performed every 4700 flight hours.  I'm curious how often they do that?  How many hours will a U-2 log in a year?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Another One for Keefe
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2015, 01:18:05 PM »
I just saw an interesting time-lapse video showing the maintenance/rebuild of a U-2 that is performed every 4700 flight hours.  I'm curious how often they do that?  How many hours will a U-2 log in a year?

Classified

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Another One for Keefe
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2015, 01:54:53 PM »

The Deuce is one of the most tasked ISR (Intel, Surveillance, Recon) assets because of its versatility and is critical for TST (Time Sensitive Targeting.)

One of its primary advantages is that it can loiter for a long time over a target, all the while collecting a wide range of intel that can be shared in real-time with warfighters. A TACP team can get live video and voice from a Deuce that is 70k' overhead. This range of intel is essential for target deconfliction and is mandatory for High Value Targeting (HVT) operations.

Through the USAF Air Battle Management system a U2 can deliver real time intel to warfighters on the ground and in the air as well as decision-makers at the National Command Authority level. Trigger pullers in Helmand get immediate clearance to pull the trigger. The Deuce has done more to eliminate the fog of war than any other platform in history.

As for how often it goes through Depot Level Maintenance it is best to say that it is a lot more frequently and more thoroughly than the Southwest Seven Three you strap into to go see Shamu at Sea World.

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2016, 09:52:35 PM »
Never good to see this kind of chicanery especially in our military. Were you aware of any of this?  I know you weren't navy...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2016/01/27/the-admiral-in-charge-of-navy-intelligence-has-not-been-allowed-to-see-military-secrets-for-years/

I understand we get all walks of life, good and bad
don't...don't don't don't don't

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2016, 05:54:21 PM »
The activities of Military personnel never change.
"The streets present a lively and animated appearance, occasioned chiefly by the conviviality of the military. It is truly delightful to a philanthropic mind to see these gallant men staggering along under the influence of an overflow, both of animal and ardent spirits..... Nothing( adds Mr. Pickwick) can exceed their good humor. it was but a day before  that one of them had been most grossly insulted in the house of a publican. The barmaid had positively refused to draw him any  more liquor; in return for which he had ( merely in playfulness) drawn his bayonet and wounded the girl in the shoulder. And yet this fine fellow was the very first to go down to the house the next morning and express his readiness to overlook the matter and forget what occurred'