2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:52:10 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 12:50:47 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by willie warrior
[Today at 12:45:02 PM]

MU Gear by Hards Alumni
[Today at 12:18:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 11:59:39 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bucks to unveil $500 million stadium plan just north of BC  (Read 251811 times)

Litehouse

• All American
Re: Bucks to unveil $500 million stadium plan just north of BC
« Reply #850 on: July 21, 2015, 09:32:58 AM »
But those are the 2,000 least profitable seats that are going unsold for nearly every game right now.

Just getting more students in the lower level in a solid continuous section behind one basket, instead of the current dis-jointed set up, would be a great improvement.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #851 on: July 21, 2015, 09:42:24 AM »
Add in that we are probably losing 2k seats, I doubt MU is looking to give away any prime seating locations. I like the endzone idea. There will probably be more lower bowl seats, so the number of students close to the action will be improved.

Exactly.

This is a simple math exercise.  MU doesn't have football, they need to maximize revenue.  Relying on the whims of 18-22 year olds is a fool's errand.  They don't always show up, inconsistent, etc.  More importantly, they are squatting on valuable revenue vehicles....seats. 

mreezybreezy

• Walk-On
« Reply #852 on: July 21, 2015, 11:57:06 AM »
http://deadspin.com/bucks-co-owner-now-works-for-governor-who-pushed-throug-1719227333

This comes as no surprise really, but one question that I can't find in this unending thread... do the Bucks own this new stadium? I'm guessing yes. The Bradley Center was a publicly owned space donated to the state right? I think this whole deal would be a lot easier to swallow if the stadium is public property.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #853 on: July 21, 2015, 12:05:52 PM »
The new arena will be owned by a revamped Wisconsin Center District...a public entity.  However the Bucks will get most of the revenue streams the arena generates.

djorling

• Walk-On

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #855 on: July 21, 2015, 01:36:44 PM »
http://deadspin.com/bucks-co-owner-now-works-for-governor-who-pushed-throug-1719227333

This comes as no surprise really, but one question that I can't find in this unending thread... do the Bucks own this new stadium? I'm guessing yes. The Bradley Center was a publicly owned space donated to the state right? I think this whole deal would be a lot easier to swallow if the stadium is public property.

The Bucks will operate and be responsible for overruns, etc. The BC wasn't exactly profitable as a venue, so I don't think the state/city wanted to be on the hook.

Also, the Bucks main owners are high-profile democratic donors that offered to include Bill Clinton on a conference call to recruit Monroe to the Bucks. I'm sure if the Gov pushing this would've been democratic and running for President, Deadspin would have been pushing this as a huge conflict of interest. Deadspin really has gone downhill.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #856 on: July 21, 2015, 03:40:57 PM »
Billy knows from basketball or just bjs, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #857 on: July 21, 2015, 03:45:54 PM »
The Bucks will operate and be responsible for overruns, etc. The BC wasn't exactly profitable as a venue, so I don't think the state/city wanted to be on the hook.

Also, the Bucks main owners are high-profile democratic donors that offered to include Bill Clinton on a conference call to recruit Monroe to the Bucks. I'm sure if the Gov pushing this would've been democratic and running for President, Deadspin would have been pushing this as a huge conflict of interest. Deadspin really has gone downhill.

Deadspin is what it is.  They gore the same ox regularly and this is one of them.

source?

• All American
« Reply #858 on: July 22, 2015, 04:27:36 PM »
Exactly.

This is a simple math exercise.  MU doesn't have football, they need to maximize revenue.  Relying on the whims of 18-22 year olds is a fool's errand.  They don't always show up, inconsistent, etc.  More importantly, they are squatting on valuable revenue vehicles....seats.

We pay for our seats same as anyone, albeit at a reduced rate. Your "squatters" argument might hold more water if we were selling out every game, but those seats would most likely go unused if not for students. As is, those seats that would probably go unsold are generating $300,000+ for the university.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:34:38 PM by source? »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #859 on: July 22, 2015, 04:42:19 PM »
We pay for our seats same as anyone, albeit at a reduced rate. Your "squatters" argument might hold more water if we were selling out every game, but those seats would most likely go unused if not for students. As is, those seats that would probably go unsold are generating $300,000+ for the university.

I believe the new arena will be a massive change for the students.

Smaller section is a gimmie. Probably whatever that end zone will hold and a couple higher sections.

I don't think student tickets will be an easy get anymore.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #860 on: July 22, 2015, 06:01:27 PM »
I believe the new arena will be a massive change for the students.

Smaller section is a gimmie. Probably whatever that end zone will hold and a couple higher sections.

I don't think student tickets will be an easy get anymore.
Honestly, not the worst thing in the world. Tickets were so cheap students had a "no big loss" feel when they missed a random game or five when the tickets are six bucks a piece. Left a lot of seats open and led to some apathy. Student section could sell less tickets but end up having more butts in the seats. Only problem is the bigger games but as long as the student section isn't completely reduced by the 2K, the smaller stadium should make up for any lost noise.

source?

• All American
« Reply #861 on: July 22, 2015, 07:04:35 PM »
Maybe they make the student section smaller, but we have never averaged 17,000 attendance. Until that happens I don't know why you wouldn't want to have as many students as possible at the game given that it is the team that represents them.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #862 on: July 22, 2015, 07:14:31 PM »
Maybe they make the student section smaller, but we have never averaged 17,000 attendance. Until that happens I don't know why you wouldn't want to have as many students as possible at the game given that it is the team that represents them.

I agree with you if you were talking about filling the outer ring of the last five rows with student tickets as over flow for those who are late or not using tickets, but we are talking about the student section as is. The overall student ticket size might be the same but I wouldn't be surprised if a higher percentage of the lower bowl are priced as full-season ticket packages.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #863 on: July 22, 2015, 07:20:28 PM »

That was my point, however.  You are paying $99 for men's basketball and all the other sports are "free" with the Fanatics package (I know, I helped created that package about 17 years ago).  Technically their is an accounting allocation of some of that $99 to those other sports, whether they are still doing that from an accounting perspective, I don't know.

So let's keep it simple, you are paying $99 for 17 games.  That's $5.82 per game for your ticket.  That same ticket for a non student is anywhere from $30 to $50 per game depending on the opponent....or basically ~5X to ~10X per game.   Those seats in the lower level don't typically go unused and when the new arena comes online, that will be even more of the case.  Upper level student seats, I would agree with you, but the lowers would sell.  That's some significant per game revenue that is being left on the table because of the students.  That's ok, it is the right choice to make by the university.  However, moving the students to even more valuable seating is very unlikely to happen.  Quite frankly, the students haven't "earned" it in the sense of showing up come hell or high water over the years.  Secondly, the revenue tradeoff for a school that doesn't have football just isn't going to cut it.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #864 on: July 22, 2015, 09:21:14 PM »
That was my point, however.  You are paying $99 for men's basketball and all the other sports are "free" with the Fanatics package (I know, I helped created that package about 17 years ago).  Technically their is an accounting allocation of some of that $99 to those other sports, whether they are still doing that from an accounting perspective, I don't know.

So let's keep it simple, you are paying $99 for 17 games.  That's $5.82 per game for your ticket.  That same ticket for a non student is anywhere from $30 to $50 per game depending on the opponent....or basically ~5X to ~10X per game.   Those seats in the lower level don't typically go unused and when the new arena comes online, that will be even more of the case.  Upper level student seats, I would agree with you, but the lowers would sell.  That's some significant per game revenue that is being left on the table because of the students.  That's ok, it is the right choice to make by the university.  However, moving the students to even more valuable seating is very unlikely to happen.  Quite frankly, the students haven't "earned" it in the sense of showing up come hell or high water over the years.  Secondly, the revenue tradeoff for a school that doesn't have football just isn't going to cut it.
We are a college basketball program and part of the actual deliverable to the networks is a college atmosphere.

Our role model should be Michigan State. Breslin Center is 14,797 and they sell it out.  Here is a link to the way they run the Izzone which is 3,000 students. They place a premium on students attending the games and coming in early in order to secure the lowerbowl seating.
http://futurealumni.msu.edu/programs/2014-15-Izzone-FAQs.pdf
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #865 on: July 23, 2015, 09:23:55 AM »
Guys/Gals

Big vote from the Assembly on Tuesday. If it passes (AS IS), then it goes to the governor for signature. Then Milwaukee Common Council will have a vote in September as well but they are extremely likely to easily pass it.

For those who want the arena, the most important thing right now is getting it through the Assembly with NO CHANGES. If they many any amendments, it would have to go back to the Senate for another vote and we are back to square one.

The calls to the elected officials were critical to the success in the Senate. The same will hold true at the assembly level.

If you are so inclined, make the call to your assembly representative and others even outside your district if you wish.

The calls matter very, very much.

Go MU!
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #866 on: July 23, 2015, 09:48:28 AM »
We are a college basketball program and part of the actual deliverable to the networks is a college atmosphere.

Our role model should be Michigan State. Breslin Center is 14,797 and they sell it out.  Here is a link to the way they run the Izzone which is 3,000 students. They place a premium on students attending the games and coming in early in order to secure the lowerbowl seating.
http://futurealumni.msu.edu/programs/2014-15-Izzone-FAQs.pdf

Michigan State has football revenue that crushes basketball revenue there.  They can afford to do those kinds of tradeoffs.

As I mnetioned, when I was the Asst AD there we commissioned a study that looked Michigan, Duke, Louisville and a few other schools in how they were doing student seating.  The problem came down to $$$.  They could afford to do things because the football money covered off on any risks for basketball.  MU doesn't have that luxury.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #867 on: July 23, 2015, 11:46:54 AM »
Guys/Gals

Big vote from the Assembly on Tuesday. If it passes (AS IS), then it goes to the governor for signature. Then Milwaukee Common Council will have a vote in September as well but they are extremely likely to easily pass it.

For those who want the arena, the most important thing right now is getting it through the Assembly with NO CHANGES. If they many any amendments, it would have to go back to the Senate for another vote and we are back to square one.

The calls to the elected officials were critical to the success in the Senate. The same will hold true at the assembly level.

If you are so inclined, make the call to your assembly representative and others even outside your district if you wish.

Go MU!

I am guessing the assembly will pass the arena financing easily. There is momentum for it now and they wouldn't have called for a vote, if they didn't have enough votes to pass it. The senate was the hard part.

The biggest reason Democrats will support it is because of pressure from the unions and business leaders. Unions have had a rough few years here in Wisconsin and they are pushing for the new arena hard. The Dems won't let them down. Calls to reps are still important, I called my reps but they already supported it so I was preaching to the choir.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:49:11 AM by hairy worthen »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #868 on: July 23, 2015, 12:34:25 PM »
Anyone living in Rep. Christine Sinicki's district, she will be having a Bucks Arena deal discussion with constituents at Jacob's Well Cafe on Saturday, July 25 from 9:00 am-11:00 am.

Jacob's Well is on 3855 E Sivyer in St. Francis. That's a block north of Howard Avenue just off of Packard.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #869 on: July 23, 2015, 01:49:37 PM »
Guys/Gals

Go MU!
According to the agreement the team will need to move, if a new arena will not be ready for the start of the 2017 season. It is also suppose to take two years to build the arena, which means even if they started today the way construction actually works it is going to be hard to make that deadline. Now the project is waiting two months after the senate approved it to have the County Board approve it. I doubt it will happen, but after everything is finally approved the NBA could just say the arena will not be done in time, so they are going to buy the team and move it. The assembly should not be waiting so long to act on it and the County Board should meet the day after the Governor signs it. It starts to get really dicey, if the assembly passes a different bill, which means it has to go back to the senate.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #870 on: July 23, 2015, 02:38:10 PM »
The Association will grant an extension with the time frame. All they really want is the new facility ball to start rollin', ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #871 on: July 23, 2015, 03:53:25 PM »
The Association will grant an extension with the time frame. All they really want is the new facility ball to start rollin', ai na?
I hope so, but why should our politicians seem like they are in no hurry.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #872 on: July 28, 2015, 08:07:54 AM »
Big vote today in the assembly.

Let's hope it passes without any new amendments, so it doesn't have to return to the Senate for their approval (again). Unfortunately. any changes from the Assembly could impact the votes of Senators.

If it passes "as is", it's ready for Walker's signature. And then on to the common council, which should be very, very pro-arena.

Very big day for the future of Marquette hoops and for the entire Milwaukee area.

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #873 on: July 28, 2015, 08:51:07 AM »
Big vote today in the assembly.

Let's hope it passes without any new amendments, so it doesn't have to return to the Senate for their approval (again). Unfortunately. any changes from the Assembly could impact the votes of Senators.

If it passes "as is", it's ready for Walker's signature. And then on to the common council, which should be very, very pro-arena.

Very big day for the future of Marquette hoops and for the entire Milwaukee area.

I was told there will be amendment proposals and they will likely all be shot down. This should pass relatively easily.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #874 on: July 28, 2015, 09:26:16 AM »
I hope so, but why should our politicians seem like they are in no hurry.

Two months is fine.  There really are going to be no problems once it gets past the Assembly.

feedback