[Today at 10:43:30 AM]

NCSTATE is evil by tower912
[Today at 10:37:58 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bucks to unveil $500 million stadium plan just north of BC  (Read 250696 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Bucks to unveil $500 million stadium plan just north of BC
« Reply #650 on: June 30, 2015, 10:09:32 PM »
Lack of road funding is even worse.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #651 on: June 30, 2015, 10:42:54 PM »
People need to relax.......

Ted Davis ‏@nbated  4h4 hours ago
In 27yrs in NBA it ALWAYS goes like this for new arena. Looks bad, gets worse and finally seems impossible until.......it's done!

Ted Davis ‏@nbated  2h2 hours ago
Bucks played in Hou the night the referendum to build Toyota Ctr failed. Employees were saying, "Hello N.O. Rockets" They are still in Hou.

Huge difference between Houston and Milwaukee. One is a large thriving market...the other is a struggling rust belt town. The NBA will not lose any sleep if the Bucks move to Seattle.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #652 on: June 30, 2015, 11:27:15 PM »
Huge difference between Houston and Milwaukee. One is a large thriving market...the other is a struggling rust belt town. The NBA will not lose any sleep if the Bucks move to Seattle.

Nor will I.   Plenty of money in Milwaukee to get this done privately if it is the smart thing to do.  Plenty.  If not, then let them walk.

At the end of the day, I would be surprised if the Bucks leave.  It will get worked out one way or another.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #653 on: June 30, 2015, 11:40:21 PM »
Can Marquette leave the state too? This is going to have a large negative impact on both our university and our basketball program.

It Will have little impact. They'll play at the Bradley Center and be the best ticket it town during the winter. Bradley Center is fine, if the billionaires want a new stadium have them build it themselves, or find a city dumb enough to line their pockets. You bring up MN like it was a good deal for the state, it's a disaster. Their virtual pull tab revenue is about 3% to plan. Billionaire crook, Zigi, will get $220 million over 25 years for naming rights, $125M for seat licensing and a 25% increase in franchise value to $1B. He bought Vikings for 600M in 2005. He'll sell a few years after the stadium is built and cash out. This doesn't include the extra $25M per season Zigi will make with increased ticket prices (luxury seats). He has 400 of his 550 million committed in the first year! Not a bad deal for the billionaire.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #654 on: July 01, 2015, 05:31:00 AM »
Can Marquette leave the state too? This is going to have a large negative impact on both our university and our basketball program.
I want the new arena built, but I ultimately see this as about even either way for MU. MU gains plenty of advantages by having the Bucks here, but if they leave I think we'll get an increase in attendance from casual fans looking for local basketball, we'll be more of a priority for local media, and we'll have the BC to ourselves with better availability for home games and the ability to customize it.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #655 on: July 01, 2015, 05:52:58 AM »
I want the new arena built, but I ultimately see this as about even either way for MU. MU gains plenty of advantages by having the Bucks here, but if they leave I think we'll get an increase in attendance from casual fans looking for local basketball, we'll be more of a priority for local media, and we'll have the BC to ourselves with better availability for home games and the ability to customize it.

Customize it?  You are looking at an aging arena that needs work and Marquette and the Admirals are going to have to pay more if you want improvements.  Remember that if the Bucks leave, there goes the athletic performance center also, there goes the development, there goes the jobs, there goes the pro sports entertainment options in Milwaukee from Octbober through early months...................

Lose, lose for Marquette, Milwaukee and Wisconsin.

If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #656 on: July 01, 2015, 07:02:50 AM »
My guess is athletic performance center stays, just a less expensive version.

But anyone who suggests that the bucks leaving is neutral to Marquette is, in my opinion, kidding themselves. The negative ramifications to the basketball program, the university, the city and the entire state will unfortunately be big.

I am hoping that the Bucks will somehow guarantee that any state investment will be covered by the owners should the taxes from visiting players not be sufficient pay the state (with an acceptable return). This would give politicians significant "cover" to beat their chest and say "I hung in there to guarantee the state would get their money back from the boogeyman billionaires". From the perspective of the owners of the bucks, it is an easy give, since it can be structured to kick in only if there has been no changes to state tax laws, which would then virtually guarantee they would never have to kick anything in. Additionally, the owners could likely insure this risk through Lloyds of London, which will basically insure anything for a price.

If I am a resident of Wisconsin, far from Milwaukee, I would have no problem with my rep voting for this, since it's an investment into a business that can increase cash flow into the state treasury, with a guarantee from billionaires.

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #657 on: July 01, 2015, 08:17:39 AM »
You guys are right and I should probably walk that statement back.  I don't think it would be neutral, MU has much more to gain from a new Arena and the Bucks staying.  The economic impact on the nearby neighborhood might be the biggest positive.  However, if the Bucks leave, I think our attendance and local fan support will definitely increase.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #658 on: July 01, 2015, 08:28:55 AM »

If I am a resident of Wisconsin, far from Milwaukee, I would have no problem with my rep voting for this, since it's an investment into a business that can increase cash flow into the state treasury, with a guarantee from billionaires.

Nearly that same thing could be said of dozens of big businesses.

Hey, if Wisconsin could just build a new $250m brewery for Miller-Coors, that'd be a great investment for the state.  Think of all the jobs we'd save.   Etc.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #659 on: July 01, 2015, 08:35:14 AM »
Nearly that same thing could be said of dozens of big businesses.

Hey, if Wisconsin could just build a new $250m brewery for Miller-Coors, that'd be a great investment for the state.  Think of all the jobs we'd save.   Etc.

Not even close to the same. You do realize that a new arena and surrounding development  would be used for more than the 41 plus Buck games.

The fact of the matter is, we do invest tax dollars for businesses to stay and come all the time.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #660 on: July 01, 2015, 08:40:52 AM »
And I was suggesting a guarantee from the Bucks to cover any shortfall between the state's investment and the taxes generated from players' salaries, assuming no change in state tax law.

Heck, I think Marquette can make that guarantee as well, and then insure the risk through a third party (maybe Northwest Mutual). In effect, the insurance company would be insuring the risk of the NBA or the Bucks going out of business. That's a AAA rated credit, so its insurability is likely.

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #661 on: July 01, 2015, 09:00:13 AM »

That's laughable. UW will get that coverage, not MU. And the only way attendance goes up is if MU starts winning again.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #662 on: July 01, 2015, 09:04:12 AM »
Customize it?  You are looking at an aging arena that needs work and Marquette and the Admirals are going to have to pay more if you want improvements.  Remember that if the Bucks leave, there goes the athletic performance center also, there goes the development, there goes the jobs, there goes the pro sports entertainment options in Milwaukee from Octbober through early months...................

Lose, lose for Marquette, Milwaukee and Wisconsin.

How is it that places like Seattle, Louisville, Cincinnati, Kansas City, San Diego, etc, are able to get out of bed without pro sports entertainment options from October through early months......

If it is as critical as people want to make it, then it will happen.  All that is happening right now is the typical panic mode stuff, people starting to freak out and that is when dumb decisions are made out of fear.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #663 on: July 01, 2015, 10:12:42 AM »
How is it that places like Seattle, Louisville, Cincinnati, Kansas City, San Diego, etc, are able to get out of bed without pro sports entertainment options from October through early months......

Hmm...Seattle, Louisville, and perhaps Kansas City would all take the Bucks in a heartbeat...as for comparing winter in San Diego to Milwaukee...do we really need to explain the difference?

If the Bucks leave, no the world will not end.  No, Milwaukee will not be bulldozed to the ground.  But the argument for keeping the Bucks just makes financial sense.  Assembly leader Robin Vos, a Republican, has stated as much.  He said you cannot look at the financial numbers and not support it.  Speaker Vos also says the people opposing this need to stop making this their own person "Jihad" against corporate welfare.  And I am attributing the word "Jihad" to Vos, who said it on the Mike Heller radio show within the past few weeks.

Vos says the assembly has the votes to pass the stadium bill as is so this falls on the State Senate.  You need 17 votes...all 4 Milwaukee area Senators need to vote yes...for sure Fitzgerald and Darling support it from the Republican side...find 11 more and this gets done.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #664 on: July 01, 2015, 10:16:34 AM »
That's laughable. UW will get that coverage, not MU. And the only way attendance goes up is if MU starts winning again.

I disagree with the bolded part.  If the Bucks leave, MU will definitely get a lift in attendance.  How much, remains to be seen.  Of course you are right that if we win again, that cures many ills, but the basketball fan in Milwaukee that maybe saw 2 to 3 Bucks games a year will likely translate that into 1 MU game, maybe more....and for a lot less money.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #665 on: July 01, 2015, 10:19:13 AM »
Hmm...Seattle, Louisville, and perhaps Kansas City would all take the Bucks in a heartbeat...as for comparing winter in San Diego to Milwaukee...do we really need to explain the difference?

If the Bucks leave, no the world will not end.  No, Milwaukee will not be bulldozed to the ground.  But the argument for keeping the Bucks just makes financial sense.  Assembly leader Robin Vos, a Republican, has stated as much.  He said you cannot look at the financial numbers and not support it.  Speaker Vos also says the people opposing this need to stop making this their own person "Jihad" against corporate welfare.  And I am attributing the word "Jihad" to Vos, who said it on the Mike Heller radio show within the past few weeks.

Vos says the assembly has the votes to pass the stadium bill as is so this falls on the State Senate.  You need 17 votes...all 4 Milwaukee area Senators need to vote yes...for sure Fitzgerald and Darling support it from the Republican side...find 11 more and this gets done.

I can mention many more cities if you wish.  Sure, they would take them.  They already have arenas built, etc.  Maybe if the Bucks weren't in the bottom 5% in attendance most of the last 10 years, this would be an easier call.

If it makes so much financial sense, then it should be a slam dunk vote, easy math, easy decision, easy thing to explain to the voters.  Thing is, it isn't a slam dunk.  Just the way it is.

If they leave, they leave.  If they stay, they stay.  As you accurately point out, the world isn't ending either way. 

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #666 on: July 01, 2015, 12:10:34 PM »
I can mention many more cities if you wish.  Sure, they would take them.  They already have arenas built, etc.  Maybe if the Bucks weren't in the bottom 5% in attendance most of the last 10 years, this would be an easier call.

If it makes so much financial sense, then it should be a slam dunk vote, easy math, easy decision, easy thing to explain to the voters.  Thing is, it isn't a slam dunk.  Just the way it is.

If they leave, they leave.  If they stay, they stay.  As you accurately point out, the world isn't ending either way. 

How long has it been since you've lived in Wisconsin?  You may be reading about it, but unless you live here, you can't understand the political issues between Walker and the Democratic party right now. 

There are issues other than the arena that are holding this back and egos and political parties need to be controlled a little for this to go through.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #667 on: July 01, 2015, 12:59:22 PM »
Odd statement.  Sure, there are vast differences between Walker and the Dem party in Wisconsin.  But the Democrats are powerless with no reason to actually go vote on anything.

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #668 on: July 01, 2015, 01:20:29 PM »

If it is as critical as people want to make it, then it will happen.  All that is happening right now is the typical panic mode stuff, people starting to freak out and that is when dumb decisions are made out of fear.

You know four of the five cities you named have NFL teams right... that's pro sports entertainment. Good try though.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #669 on: July 01, 2015, 09:34:23 PM »
How long has it been since you've lived in Wisconsin?  You may be reading about it, but unless you live here, you can't understand the political issues between Walker and the Democratic party right now. 

There are issues other than the arena that are holding this back and egos and political parties need to be controlled a little for this to go through.

You mean political parties don't do what is right for the citizens?  What about the children?

If they leave, they leave.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #670 on: July 01, 2015, 09:35:19 PM »
You know four of the five cities you named have NFL teams right... that's pro sports entertainment. Good try though.

So does Milwaukee....2 hours north and part of the Packers season ticket base.  Good try though.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #671 on: July 01, 2015, 10:12:58 PM »
Nor will I.   Plenty of money in Milwaukee to get this done privately if it is the smart thing to do.  Plenty.  If not, then let them walk.

At the end of the day, I would be surprised if the Bucks leave.  It will get worked out one way or another.

As a non Milwaukee resident you would have no problem if the Bucks left?

Got it........ ::)

Why should we care about your opinion? You have no skin in the game.

As a resident of SE Wisconsin, a tax payer and a Bucks/ MU fan I am glad to say that both of my elected reps support the plan.

I am happy to have a small portion of my tax dollars go to keeping a valuable asset in the state.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #672 on: July 01, 2015, 10:21:46 PM »
As a non Milwaukee resident you would have no problem if the Bucks left?

Got it........ ::)

Why should we care about your opinion? You have no skin in the game.

As a resident of SE Wisconsin, a tax payer and a Bucks/ MU fan I am glad to say that both of my elected reps support the plan.

I am happy to have a small portion of my tax dollars go to keeping a valuable asset in the state.

As a Marquette alum, I have skin in the game. 

I don't subscribe to the gloom and doom if a sports team leaves, especially one that is trying to fleece the citizens when there are many other bigger fish to fry.  I heard this same doom and gloom when the Raiders and Rams left.  For 20 years, the city has somehow managed to stay erect.  Seattle didn't implode, neither did Kansas City, San Diego, Cincinnati, Vancouver, Newark, Baltimore or any number of other cities that have lost NBA teams over the years.

Do I hope they stay?  Sure.  Do I wish they would go?  No.   If they do leave is it the end of the world?  No.  If they leave, they leave.  If it is critically important and an asset that is valuable, then the good fine people of Wisconsin will find a way to keep them.  Obviously that doesn't seem to be a shared opinion right now on their value, or you wouldn't be having this much trouble getting a deal done.   Do those people have skin in the game?

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #673 on: July 01, 2015, 10:25:19 PM »
All I can say is why don't we raise funds to put a Kohl Center on campus? It's an arms race in terms of facilities with the Blue Blood Badgers, and this maybe will elevate us beyond the high school gym that is the Bradley Center
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #674 on: July 01, 2015, 10:59:24 PM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-06-30/milwaukee-arena-foes-say-scott-walker-should-listen-to-grandma

Quite frankly, I think the last couple of sentences in this article are dead nuts right.

feedback