Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bucks to unveil $500 million stadium plan just north of BC  (Read 251957 times)

LAMUfan

• All American
Re: Bucks to unveil $500 million stadium plan just north of BC
« Reply #475 on: April 30, 2015, 04:04:20 PM »
I want a team here, just get it done  ;)

GOO

• All American
« Reply #476 on: April 30, 2015, 04:07:21 PM »
So, word is no deal today.  Maybe a few weeks.

I hope this is because the City and County are not getting bulldozed by the Bucks/State.  The deal as laid out seemed poor for the City, with extra tax breaks for the bucks (little to no additional revenue from ancillary development nor ability to do a TIF on ancillary if the state made it all tax exempt).

I'm all for a deal and it will get done.  But maybe the City/County are trying to get a more favorable structure.  It would be nice to see the entire district rolled into one entity so that there are not 2 or 3 arenas competing against each other for concerts/events.  Plus, the way the State laid it out, the Governor would appoint almost everyone on the new arena board with one guy for the City and one for the County, giving the governor control over the arena entity. 

Make it more local and tie up the arenas and convention center into one entity.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 04:10:16 PM by GOO »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #477 on: April 30, 2015, 04:07:39 PM »
Who here ever gave OKC a thought outside of the actions of Timothy McVeigh before the Thunder?

Now who here actually realized OKC exists because of the Thunder?

What really is the point though?  I mean I have pretty much always known OKC existed.  Now I know it exists and has and NBA team.

Regardless, if all it takes to get a city to be known is that it has a major league sports franchise, Milwaukee already has one.  Is their a marginal value to have a second one?

And I *want* the Bucks to have a new arena.  I just hate the inaccurate, over-the-top doom and gloom projections if it doesn't happen.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #478 on: April 30, 2015, 08:17:48 PM »
Who here ever gave OKC a thought outside of the actions of Timothy McVeigh before the Thunder?

I never think of San Diego because they lost a NBA team. Or Kansas City.  Or Cincinnati.  Or Baltimore.  Or Seattle.  Or Vancouver.  Etc etc

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #479 on: May 01, 2015, 07:23:37 AM »

Where?

Warriorfish

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #480 on: May 01, 2015, 07:48:55 AM »
Charlie Sykes reported yesterday that Mayor Barrett is now floating the idea of a sales tax in Milwaukee, which would destroy any new momentum this project has if he's really serious about it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #481 on: May 01, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
I never think of San Diego because they lost a NBA team. Or Kansas City.  Or Cincinnati.  Or Baltimore.  Or Seattle.  Or Vancouver.  Etc etc

Again with the exception of Vancouver on that list....the NBA team they lost was their 3rd professional sports team leaving them two viable and visible professional teams.  In fact, one could argue those teams were lost because they didn't have the density to support them not because the team didn't add value to the city.  Additionally, with the exception of Seattle, none of those moves were in what I would term the modern NBA era.

I'm not a doom and gloom guy, the city will survive if the Bucks leave, but that is a lot of negative inertia to overcome that isn't necessary.  The effort spent overcoming that loss more than offsets the effort to keep the team and retain the city's positive momentum.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #482 on: May 01, 2015, 07:55:03 AM »
Charlie Sykes reported yesterday that Mayor Barrett is now floating the idea of a sales tax in Milwaukee, which would destroy any new momentum this project has if he's really serious about it.

Cause Charlie Sykes doesn't have reason to throw a monkey wrench in this whole thing.

Having said that, if Barrett really did propose that he's a bigger a$$hat than I realized.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #483 on: May 01, 2015, 07:59:08 AM »
Cause Charlie Sykes doesn't have reason to throw a monkey wrench in this whole thing.

Having said that, if Barrett really did propose that he's a bigger a$$hat than I realized.

Don't under estimate the a$$hat level of Barrett. The sky is the limit for his a$$hatness

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #484 on: May 01, 2015, 08:01:26 AM »
Superbar.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #485 on: May 01, 2015, 08:09:54 AM »
Superbar.

1. Report to moderator

2. Its a thread about the arena that Marquette might call home.  On topic.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #486 on: May 01, 2015, 08:11:18 AM »
1. Report to moderator

2. Its a thread about the arena that Marquette might call home.  On topic.

Groin_Pull wants Hangin' to be a desert wasteland with like 3 posts in the summer I guess.

He's gonna have a fit when the Meme tourney starts on Monday  ;)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 01:20:19 PM by mu_hilltopper »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #489 on: May 06, 2015, 02:34:33 PM »
Was reading a different article today .. noticed that just 7 months ago, the JS reported that the Bradley Center needed $25-35m in maintenance .. Gosh, I wonder where that $100m figure came from?

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/bmo-harris-bradley-center-needs-up-to-35-million-in-maintenance-b99364381z1-278141721.html

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #490 on: May 06, 2015, 02:39:32 PM »
Clearly there's been a $hitload of deterioration to that 27 year old structure over this brutal winter.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #491 on: May 06, 2015, 02:44:53 PM »
Was reading a different article today .. noticed that just 7 months ago, the JS reported that the Bradley Center needed $25-35m in maintenance .. Gosh, I wonder where that $100m figure came from?

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/bmo-harris-bradley-center-needs-up-to-35-million-in-maintenance-b99364381z1-278141721.html

Don Walker on the radio, uses the $100m figure over time.

source?

• All American
« Reply #492 on: May 06, 2015, 04:59:55 PM »

"A conservative estimate that will only get higher with time."
"...must be addressed just to keep the building open for the short term."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #493 on: May 06, 2015, 05:55:39 PM »

The figure will change in time, and the $100M is likely the high-end estimate, but regardless, if the Bucks leave, any money the state spends is simply sunk costs that would not be necessary if the Bucks stay. Whatever the actual figure is, whether the low-end $25M, the high-end $100M, or the more likely middle ground of $50-75M, should just be subtracted from what the state will have to pay to get this done.

By the same token, whether you factor the low-end jock tax ($130M over 20 years) or the high-end jock tax ($200M over 20 years) that should also simply be subtracted from the state's cost, as that money will simply be lost if the Bucks leave.

Based on that, at the minimum, the state will be effectively recouping between $155M and $300M if they keep the Bucks. The price tag on keeping them is $220M. Why would anyone think letting this team go is a good idea?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #494 on: May 06, 2015, 07:05:49 PM »
I'm still skeptical this gets built. I've tried to stay optimistic, but it seems like it's one roadblock after another. Afraid this  project gets derailed.

But hey Milwaukee, at least you get to keep that great looking weed patch.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #495 on: May 06, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »
I'm still skeptical this gets built. I've tried to stay optimistic, but it seems like it's one roadblock after another. Afraid this  project gets derailed.

But hey Milwaukee, at least you get to keep that great looking weed patch.

Oh sure...another trolley joke ;D

Well played... ;)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #496 on: May 07, 2015, 07:51:50 AM »
As long as everyone understands there's a boatload of reasons the $25m, $35m and $100m figures are very likely preposterously inflated, we're good.

Step into 2019.  The Bucks are gone.  There is zero chance any significant maintenance occurs, beyond buying duct tape to keep the boilers running. 

Milwaukee can't scare up a few bucks to fix their parks (that *actually* need $100m in maintenance,) let alone fix a sports arena that has two tenants and get used 60 days a year.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #497 on: May 07, 2015, 10:16:35 AM »
As long as everyone understands there's a boatload of reasons the $25m, $35m and $100m figures are very likely preposterously inflated, we're good.

Step into 2019.  The Bucks are gone.  There is zero chance any significant maintenance occurs, beyond buying duct tape to keep the boilers running. 

Milwaukee can't scare up a few bucks to fix their parks (that *actually* need $100m in maintenance,) let alone fix a sports arena that has two tenants and get used 60 days a year.

So are you making Brew's argument for him?  This is why we need the Bucks to stay and have the new stadium happen.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #498 on: May 07, 2015, 11:11:11 AM »
No.

"Just think of the (tax) money you'll lose" is the rallying cry for every business who wants a hand-out and threaten to leave. 

Milwaukee will get over the Bucks in the blink of an eye, compared to how it'll get over losing Assurant and their -1200 jobs. 

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #499 on: May 07, 2015, 11:43:05 AM »
No.

"Just think of the (tax) money you'll lose" is the rallying cry for every business who wants a hand-out and threaten to leave. 

Milwaukee will get over the Bucks in the blink of an eye, compared to how it'll get over losing Assurant and their -1200 jobs. 

This was posted at 11:11:11.  Just make a wish and you'll get whatever you want.

feedback