[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bucks to unveil $500 million stadium plan just north of BC  (Read 251941 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Bucks to unveil $500 million stadium plan just north of BC
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 08:47:54 AM »
If someone donated the money so it wouldn't cost the University anything, I would want one.  But that's not going to happen because it isn't a priority for MU.  

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 08:56:30 AM »
If someone donated the money so it wouldn't cost the University anything, I would want one.  But that's not going to happen because it isn't a priority for MU.  

And we don't have any place to put it.

Even if someone offered to donate the money so that it wouldn't cost us anything (and to truly not cost us anything, that would include endowing a fund to take care of maintenance, security, etc.),  I would hope the Office of Development would try to steer the donor towards a more worthy project. 

Building a stadium that would be used 20 times a year when there will be a state-of-the-art facility within walking distance is a complete waste of money.  If some rich alum wants something named after him, there are several Colleges that still have naming rights available, as well as a substantial list of other buildings the school needs more than an arena.
Have some patience, FFS.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 08:57:52 AM »
Anyone else wish MU just had their own stadium? Something like Villanova. Play the smaller games at the Pavilion and then the big media games at the 76ers stadium (bucks for us).

Having been to the games down the stretch, it was a struggle to fill the lower bowl

Not even a little bit.

As Marquette fans we better hope this gets done, otherwise we are going to be on the hook to retrofit the BC HVAC system, which is a monumental undertaking ($100 Million over 10 years).  The other tenants don't have the money to make any meaningful contributions.  We are in a bad spot without a new Bucks arena.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:03:07 AM by Marquette_g »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 09:02:16 AM »
Anyone else wish MU just had their own stadium? Something like Villanova. Play the smaller games at the Pavilion and then the big media games at the 76ers stadium (bucks for us).

Having been to the games down the stretch, it was a struggle to fill the lower bowl

I would much rather see us fix this 'problem' by having a better product on the floor -- its probably cheaper and would make me incrementally happier.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 09:14:45 AM »
I would much rather see us fix this 'problem' by having a better product on the floor -- its probably cheaper and would make me incrementally happier.

I agree this helps. But not in a major 5 conference, and missing the NCAA tourney multiple years in a row doesn't bode well for 17,000 sell outs. Duke plays in front of 9,000 at Cameron Indoor. But I agree, would need a major donation for this to happen, as that is what happened with the Pavilion and Nova

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2015, 09:18:55 AM »

I agree this helps. But not in a major 5 conference, and missing the NCAA tourney multiple years in a row doesn't bode well for 17,000 sell outs. Duke plays in front of 9,000 at Cameron Indoor. But I agree, would need a major donation for this to happen, as that is what happened with the Pavilion and Nova

One other consideration on the Villanova model is that they are significantly further away from the sports stadium area that houses 76ers, Eagles. and phillies.  It is like a slightly better DePaul situation.  We have the perfect setup as our students have very little excuse for getting to a game and we have an NBA facility.  I would argue there are many schools that would kill for a setup like ours.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2015, 09:22:44 AM »
Clippers sold for 25% over their value on Forbes. Bucks sold for 50% LESS than their value on Forbes. It will get done, too much money at stake for new owners. With new stadium, the bucks will probably be worth $800 million. Hard to walk away from that kind of money, they'll throw in more money if necessary, it's politics at this point.

I think Marquette will have a huge advantage recruiting players to the Al and new stadium. Would be crazy to build your own place.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2015, 09:24:57 AM »

That is because they were not any good. Go to a smaller stadium and we might as well write off MU basketball. We will be competing with Loyola of Chicago for the CBI title.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2015, 09:26:19 AM »
I love our stadium arrangement.  I wouldn't trade it for any other schools. A major NBA arena, that serves beer,in a downtown entertainment area surrounded by bars/restaurants, walking distance from campus.  I can't think of a single school in the country that is set up better.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2015, 09:29:09 AM »
And we don't have any place to put it.

Even if someone offered to donate the money so that it wouldn't cost us anything (and to truly not cost us anything, that would include endowing a fund to take care of maintenance, security, etc.),  I would hope the Office of Development would try to steer the donor towards a more worthy project. 

Building a stadium that would be used 20 times a year when there will be a state-of-the-art facility within walking distance is a complete waste of money.  If some rich alum wants something named after him, there are several Colleges that still have naming rights available, as well as a substantial list of other buildings the school needs more than an arena.

Amen, Chick.

I can only imagine what $400 million or more could do if a financially strong donor invested in a fund to buy down tuition. Or perhaps develop needed programs to elevate Marquette's presence in the world. A basketball arena is a ridiculous expense when we have a world class facility less than a mile away. If we were in Ames, Iowa; Carbondale, IL or Columbia, MO, maybe. But we're not.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2015, 09:30:50 AM »

A 9,000 seat arena wouldn't even hold our current season ticket holders.  I don't know how big the Cameron Crazies section is, but I believe our student section alone is close to 4,000 seats. I would hate to see a situation where you have to be an upper-tier donor to get tickets.

What successful organization makes expensive long-term plans assuming they are going to contract?
Have some patience, FFS.

zrjones13

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2015, 09:31:28 AM »
Also the new stadium will only hold 17000 which is about 10% less than the current bradley so with a good team on the floor we should be fine.

zrjones13

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2015, 09:32:34 AM »
2011-2012 we averaged 15,138 fans so people will come with a good team.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2015, 09:33:09 AM »
I love our stadium arrangement.  I wouldn't trade it for any other schools. A major NBA arena, that serves beer, in a downtown entertainment area surrounded by bars/restaurants, walking distance from campus.  I can't think of a single school in the country that is set up better.

I agree. And a 17,000 seat arena with better sightlines and more lower bowl seating will only add to the in-game atmosphere.

Assuming this gets done, it will be huge for MU basketball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2015, 09:44:32 AM »
If MU was ever going to build an arena the time to do it was when the Al was built.  Could've made the stadium 10,000 instead of the roughly 4,000 seats it currently has.  Don't see the need now since the Bucks stadium will be so close.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2015, 09:52:52 AM »

No. Why base future attendance predictions on this one, admittedly down, season? Over the past decade Marquette has some of the best attendance in all of college sports.

Plus you can't drink beers at an on-campus facility.....Just sayin'.
We Are Marquette

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2015, 09:53:24 AM »
Apparently, someone got to Google maps already

they interviewed a google spokesman on the radio this morning and he confirmed there is no validity to it being named after Harley, any schmuck in his parents basement could have added that to google maps

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2015, 09:56:49 AM »
Since this plan seems to confirm that the Bradley Center will be demolished, where will the Admirals play?  Has there been mention of the new arena accomodating hockey?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2015, 09:58:22 AM »

Those seats are sold.  Whether it was the BC or the "pavilion" would not have made any difference as it was more about the season.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2015, 10:00:10 AM »
Can the Admirals still play in the arena?  I'd prefer to keep hockey out of this place.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2015, 10:01:14 AM »
Since this plan seems to confirm that the Bradley Center will be demolished, where will the Admirals play?  Has there been mention of the new arena accomodating hockey?

Could they move back into the MECCA/Cell/Pantherena? Help keep the place viable? Seems like a better fit from an attendance perspective, and maybe a rejuvenated downtown coupled with another tenant would allow some upgrades.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2015, 10:04:07 AM »
Can the Admirals still play in the arena?  I'd prefer to keep hockey out of this place.

And I think that's the owners' preference as well. I want to say they took the rink out of the Arena several years ago, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Looks like they can still accommodate hockey.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:07:46 AM by MUfan12 »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2015, 10:20:20 AM »
Forgive me if I'm just being a wet blanket...

We have had a multipurpose arena in the same neighborhood for the past 20+ years.

The areas to the north (ace hardware, some warehouses), west (Pabst development), and even the bar across the street (Legends) have all been either underutilized or unutilized all together since the day the BC opened.

Why would putting a new arena in the same neighborhood suddenly make long-term, meaningful growth in these areas possible? If the answer is simply "NEW!", then they should scrap this plan immediately and send everybody packing.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2015, 10:21:34 AM »
The Admirals are still around? Wow, had no idea. What do they draw these days?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2015, 10:22:27 AM »
I think you have to look longer term.  General population trends are for the boomer generation(with the most disposable income) to move back to the cities.  So over the next 5-15 years, there could be significant population growth that would support the type of space available.

I like that kind of thinking, but won't Milwaukee attract these people anyways? Are the Bucks and a new arena really part of driving that movement?