[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2015 MLB Season Thread  (Read 97962 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: 2015 MLB Season Thread
« Reply #350 on: July 29, 2015, 10:12:57 PM »
How bout them white Sox, huh?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #351 on: July 30, 2015, 02:48:22 PM »
How bout them white Sox, huh?

They are in an interesting spot.  That is for sure.  2.5 back, with Sale going tonight.  Definitely looks like Shark is staying put.  Not sure they will or should add, maybe if they can get a more long term solution somewhere, but I'd guess they'll just stand pat and see what happens. 

Toronto certainly seems to be going big.  They have emptied their farm for Tulo and Price.  Pineda goes to the DL, maybe they can even run down the Yanks.  Who knows.  Their pitching is still suspect after Price and Buehrle. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #352 on: July 30, 2015, 03:13:36 PM »
MLBTR now reporting the Sox are aggressively pursuing a bat. 

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #353 on: July 30, 2015, 04:07:59 PM »
They are in an interesting spot.  That is for sure.  2.5 back, with Sale going tonight.  Definitely looks like Shark is staying put.  Not sure they will or should add, maybe if they can get a more long term solution somewhere, but I'd guess they'll just stand pat and see what happens. 

Toronto certainly seems to be going big.  They have emptied their farm for Tulo and Price.  Pineda goes to the DL, maybe they can even run down the Yanks.  Who knows.  Their pitching is still suspect after Price and Buehrle.

I've heard the Sox are looking into getting Cespedes. Could be an interesting acquisition - I don't know who they'd trade for him. Wouldn't be surprised if Laroche is involved...I think keeping Shark is the right move now though. Could send the wrong message dumping him especially when they're finally starting to play well.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #354 on: July 30, 2015, 04:10:09 PM »
Hard to believe that he would be traded within the division.    But, if the CWS want to throw a few top prospects at Dombrowski, I am sure he will listen.   Pitching in particular. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

« Reply #355 on: July 30, 2015, 04:11:21 PM »
False optimism. They are coming off their best streak of the year. It is absolutely not sustainable - especially the hitting.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #356 on: July 30, 2015, 04:12:22 PM »
False optimism. They are coming off their best streak of the year. It is absolutely not sustrightble - especially the hitting.

"sustrightble"?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #357 on: July 30, 2015, 04:20:51 PM »
False optimism. They are coming off their best streak of the year. It is absolutely not sustrightble - especially the hitting.

Sustainable, no. But with that being said, they can't hit worse then they did in the beginning of the year. Alexi is a notoriously slow starter, Eaton is returning to his form from last year. Melky, is probably back on the roids if were being honest. Don't know what has happened to Avi but The two rookies Saldano and Sanchez are better than Gillespie and Beckham.

They don't need to score 9 runs a game. When your top 3 pitchers are Sale, Shark and Quintana (ill even throw in Rodon) with Robertson and Duke anchoring the pen 4 runs a game is enough most nights.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #358 on: July 30, 2015, 05:17:43 PM »
Hard to believe that he would be traded within the division.    But, if the CWS want to throw a few top prospects at Dombrowski, I am sure he will listen.   Pitching in particular.

Why?  He is a rental.  The Tigers and Sox have also made trades in very recent memory (Avi and Iglesias as part of the Peavy deal).  But again, he is a rental, so it isn't like he would come back to haunt the Tigers. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #359 on: July 30, 2015, 05:22:59 PM »

They are 21-11 since June 20.   So there is more to this than the recent 8 games.  Though, that is clearly where their hitting has come alive.  But their pitching (starting and pen) is the real deal. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #360 on: July 30, 2015, 06:02:24 PM »
Soria leaving the Tigers for Pittsburgh.     Cespedes, Davis, Alfredo Simon, maybe Avila still to go.       

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #361 on: July 30, 2015, 07:59:24 PM »
They are 21-11 since June 20.   So there is more to this than the recent 8 games.  Though, that is clearly where their hitting has come alive.  But their pitching (starting and pen) is the real deal.

Rodon is also only going to get better. His control was the biggest issue earlier this season but he's definitely improved on that.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #362 on: July 31, 2015, 10:15:13 AM »
"sustrightble"?

Victim of the "a i n a" autocorrect.

brandx

« Reply #363 on: July 31, 2015, 10:31:45 AM »

That's a pace to win 105+ games over a season.

Sorry, but the Sox are not even close to that.

It is not sustai nable.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #364 on: July 31, 2015, 11:22:13 AM »
That's a pace to win 105+ games over a season.

Sorry, but the Sox are not even close to that.

It is not sustai nable.

I wasn't trying to say that it was.  I was merely pointing out that their rise is more than the 7 game winning streak.  The other part of the equation is they don't nearly have to play at that pace.  Look, they obviously don't have the greatest chance to make the wild card game, but look at their competition.

The teams they are chasing are 1 game or 2 over .500.  They aren't world beaters.  Maybe the current pace is unsustainable, but they don't need to play at that pace. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #365 on: July 31, 2015, 12:22:06 PM »
Is it just me, or does there seem to be an extraordinary number of deadline deals this year relative to years past?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #366 on: July 31, 2015, 03:13:01 PM »
Is it just me, or does there seem to be an extraordinary number of deadline deals this year relative to years past?

Sure seems like there have been a lot.  And some really big name players changing addresses. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #367 on: July 31, 2015, 03:50:12 PM »

I felt like last year was a really crazy year at the deadline, but I may just be imagining that.  Weren't there 3 or 4 really big blockbusters on the Friday of the deadline?

I think I remember Oakland, maybe Detroit, and maybe 1 other team making big time moves that Friday.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #368 on: July 31, 2015, 10:34:50 PM »
I felt like last year was a really crazy year at the deadline, but I may just be imagining that.  Weren't there 3 or 4 really big blockbusters on the Friday of the deadline?

I think I remember Oakland, maybe Detroit, and maybe 1 other team making big time moves that Friday.

Yeah you are right, both Lester and Price moved that day. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #369 on: August 03, 2015, 12:50:06 PM »
Big, big week coming up for the Cubs in terms of the wild card race. 

I told myself going into the season I would be satisfied if the team was playing meaningful games come August and September so hopefully I can maintain that perspective with all of the impending highs and lows. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #370 on: August 04, 2015, 03:42:23 PM »
Anybody need a GM?   Tigers and Dombrowski part ways.    Alex Avila's dad promoted to GM.   In a related story, every other catcher in the entire system has been released.    ;D

brandx

« Reply #371 on: August 04, 2015, 04:54:42 PM »
Anybody need a GM?   Tigers and Dombrowski part ways.    Alex Avila's dad promoted to GM.   In a related story, every other catcher in the entire system has been released.    ;D

I find it very interesting that he was released just days after trading Price and Cespedes.

What say you, Tower? You follow the Tigers closer than the rest of us.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #372 on: August 05, 2015, 06:18:27 AM »
Mr. Ilitch has to sign off on any move, theoretically.   Dombrowski and Mr. I had been pretty simpatico since they teamed up.   Pure speculation, but perhaps they reached a point where they had a different take on this team, this season, and going forward.    Perhaps Mr. I wanted to buy, D wanted to sell.   Or, maybe Dombrowski, who's contract was up at the end of the year anyway, had started to put out feelers and Ilitch, who values loyalty very highly, got wind of it and dumped him.   Honestly, I was completely wrong-footed on this one and I don't really have a good answer. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:39:36 AM by tower912 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #373 on: August 05, 2015, 07:27:45 AM »
Mr. Ilitch has to sign off on any move, theoretically.   Dombrowski and Mr. I had been pretty simpatico since they teamed up.   Pure speculation, but perhaps they reached a point where they had a different take on this team, this season, and going forward.    Perhaps Mr. I wanted to buy, D wanted to sell.   Or, maybe Dombrowski, who's contract was up at the end of the year anyway, had started to put out feelers and Ilitch, who values loyalty very highly, got wind of it and dumped him.   Honestly, I was completely wrong-footed on this one and I don't really have a good answer. 

It could have very well been a mutual decision.  If he's not coming back, no harm in moving on at this point. 

Maybe the Brewers could hire him.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #374 on: August 09, 2015, 07:59:23 PM »
Cubs sweep the Giants to open up a 3.5 game lead for the last wildcard spot, all while starting 4 rookies most days. Arrieta needs to be in the Cy Young conversation.

Keep it going, boys.

feedback