[Today at 08:54:06 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2015 MLB Season Thread  (Read 97947 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: 2015 MLB Season Thread
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2015, 03:02:28 PM »
Heres my problem with Cubs fans. All over facebook people have been posting about how theyre in first place and even taking screen shots of the standings...Were 6 games into the season, relax, the world is still round and the Cubs, are well, still the Cubs.

Also, its the latest the Cubs have been in first and/or over .500 in like 5 years.  I know with myself and some of my Cubs fans friends, its more jokingly like "ITS HAPPENING" then actually boasting.  People who dislike the Cubs or their fans have gotten to the point where any sort of Cubs enthusiasm is greeted with disdain or "yeah, well the Cubs still blow". 

The Cubs could finish 15 games under 500 but this is already an infinitely more entertaining team to watch then the last few years.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2015, 03:52:06 PM »
They were 0-79 when trailing in the 9th inning last year...the fact that they have 1 win under those circumstances is great!

As stated before, I think most realistic cubs fans are taking these wins with a grain of salt...however games are becoming watchable, and that has fans excited.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2015, 03:58:21 PM »
They were 0-79 when trailing in the 9th inning last year...the fact that they have 1 win under those circumstances is great!

As stated before, I think most realistic cubs fans are taking these wins with a grain of salt...however games are becoming watchable, and that has fans excited.

Two wins...under those circumstances.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2015, 08:24:17 PM »
Here's my problem with Marquette fans: 85% of what I see on MUScoop.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2015, 08:53:09 AM »
Here's my problem with Marquette fans: 85% of what I see on MUScoop.

I've got a solution for you... but it involves vandalizing Topper's car.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2015, 09:01:53 AM »
Also, its the latest the Cubs have been in first and/or over .500 in like 5 years.  I know with myself and some of my Cubs fans friends, its more jokingly like "ITS HAPPENING" then actually boasting.  People who dislike the Cubs or their fans have gotten to the point where any sort of Cubs enthusiasm is greeted with disdain or "yeah, well the Cubs still blow". 

The Cubs could finish 15 games under 500 but this is already an infinitely more entertaining team to watch then the last few years.

This Cubs team is pretty much like the 2007 Brewers team.  That was the first Brewer teams to finish above .500 since 1992, and had a bright future with Braun winning ROY, Fielder, Gallardo, etc. 

They were young, enthusiastic and fun to watch.  The next year they won the Wild Card.

I can see why Cub fans are excited.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2015, 09:05:28 AM »
I've got a solution for you... but it involves vandalizing Topper's car.

A Chicago Sunroof?

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2015, 03:51:23 PM »
Does Roenicke make it to the All-Star break?

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2015, 03:52:17 PM »

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo  3m3 minutes ago
Cardinals defeat Brewers 4-0.  The Brewers fall to 2-7 with a run differential of -25, both of which are worst in MLB this season.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »
Man, while I do think it is time for a managerial change, I think Melvin is also running out of time.  It would be his fourth managerial hire.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #160 on: April 16, 2015, 04:26:02 PM »
16 runs scored in 9 games.  Awesome.

Gennett is not an every day 2nd baseman.  Ramirez stuck around a year too long.  Segura looks like an average (somewhere between his first half of a season in the MLB and the 1.5 seasons since) contact hitter with good speed but not much more.  Lind looks like a solid signing.  Braun is no longer on steroids.  Davis is okay at hitting the long ball and horrible at everything else.  Lucroy and Gomez will be fine, but not as good as last year (only way to go was down for those 2 really).

Not to mention the staff simply isn't great either.  Not that that's the biggest problem at this point.  But Lohse is getting old but will be fine but far from a #1, same with Garza, Wild Willy I like a lot but still too inconsistent, Nelson had a really good first outing but still an unkown, and Fiers is smoke and mirrors - decent but certainly not great.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #161 on: April 16, 2015, 09:10:17 PM »
Kris Bryant to make debut Friday.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2015, 11:22:43 PM »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2015, 11:34:59 PM »
Man, while I do think it is time for a managerial change, I think Melvin is also running out of time.  It would be his fourth managerial hire.

He'll get extended before he gets fired. For some reason Attanasio is enamored with him.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #164 on: April 17, 2015, 06:50:13 AM »

Division race is over.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #165 on: April 17, 2015, 07:15:50 AM »

The fact that they are horrible because they aren't hitting, is why I suspect he'll still be here. Early returns are obviously bad, but I do think this team will ultimately hit and score runs.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #166 on: April 17, 2015, 07:16:34 AM »

Merry Krismas, Cubs fans!!

If you were already annoyed with all the attention the Cubs were getting today won't help.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #167 on: April 17, 2015, 01:32:39 PM »
Bryant wearing #17, following in the hallowed footsteps of Felix Pie and and Bobby Hill! Although we have enough failed prospects in the last decade to probably cover every number.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #168 on: April 17, 2015, 01:40:15 PM »
Bryant wearing #17, following in the hallowed footsteps of Felix Pie and and Bobby Hill! Although we have enough failed prospects in the last decade to probably cover every number.

I'm trying to think if any other former Cubs wore #17...

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2015, 02:16:34 PM »
At least Hill proved to be a valuable trade piece.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #170 on: April 17, 2015, 04:42:35 PM »
I'm trying to think if any other former Cubs wore #17...

Not familiar.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #171 on: April 17, 2015, 11:57:31 PM »
At least Hill proved to be a valuable trade piece.

Yup.  Bobby Hill and Jose Hernandez for Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #172 on: April 18, 2015, 10:09:23 AM »
Just got to thinking bout the Brewers and Doug Melvin, and what appears to be a bad year, coupled with no apparent plan for the future, when it hit me. They have the potential to clean up at the trade deadline this year if they choose to do so. When you look at the likes of Lohse, Garza, Braxton, KRod, ARam, Para, Lind, maybe one or two other bullpen guys, all with contracts expiring this year or next, that is a lot of pieces that could (should) be moved and net pretty decent value in return, and may explain why they did so little/kept their powder dry in the offseason.

It at least gives me hope that there is a plan in place to rebuild the roster, and quite possibly a good one. Now, knowing how things typically go in Brewerland, half those guys will get hurt, and/or they will get hot for a month in June/July and get themselves into imaginary contention and screw the whole thing up.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #173 on: April 18, 2015, 10:14:10 AM »
Just got to thinking bout the Brewers and Doug Melvin, and what appears to be a bad year, coupled with no apparent plan for the future, when it hit me. They have the potential to clean up at the trade deadline this year if they choose to do so. When you look at the likes of Lohse, Garza, Braxton, KRod, ARam, Para, Lind, maybe one or two other bullpen guys, all with contracts expiring this year or next, that is a lot of pieces that could (should) be moved and net pretty decent value in return, and may explain why they did so little/kept their powder dry in the offseason.

It at least gives me hope that there is a plan in place to rebuild the roster, and quite possibly a good one. Now, knowing how things typically go in Brewerland, half those guys will get hurt, and/or they will get hot for a month in June/July and get themselves into imaginary contention and screw the whole thing up.

I agree with all of this, but I'm not sure I have faith that the Brewers front office really has this planned out.  Another name that needs to be coming up as potential trade bait because he will bring back a ton and will get paid a ton in a year and a half is Carlos Gomez...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #174 on: April 18, 2015, 11:23:36 AM »
The other thing to note with the Brewers and the horrible start...Gomez, Braun, Parra, ARam, Lucroy, and Gennett all hitting .235 or below, and in some cases, 100 pts below (.191 combined). That obviously will not continue for nearly all those guys. The law of averages says there is a lot of hits coming. So, I still see the offense ultimately being pretty decent. More concerning at the moment, is the pitching and fielding, both also 2nd to last in the league.

feedback