'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Kostas Antetokounmpo  (Read 69647 times)

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: Kostas Antetokounmpo
« Reply #150 on: July 29, 2015, 02:41:38 AM »
Room seems to create itself when it is needed. If he does end up re-classing, I tend to think the odds he's at MU go down, if only because i'm not convinced his brother is in town for the long haul.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2015, 03:23:03 AM »
Room seems to create itself when it is needed. If he does end up re-classing, I tend to think the odds he's at MU go down, if only because i'm not convinced his brother is in town for the long haul.

Where are people getting that Kostas will only stay in Milwaukee if Giannis is there?  Also where is the thought that Giannis won't be there coming from?  He only becomes a restricted free agent after the 2016-17 and I would assume already that the Bucks will be matching any offer he may receive.  So even if you think they are a package deal I don't think Giannis is going anywhere during the time Kostas would be in college.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2015, 07:03:33 AM »
Where are people getting that Kostas will only stay in Milwaukee if Giannis is there?  Also where is the thought that Giannis won't be there coming from?  He only becomes a restricted free agent after the 2016-17 and I would assume already that the Bucks will be matching any offer he may receive.  So even if you think they are a package deal I don't think Giannis is going anywhere during the time Kostas would be in college.

Totally agree.  Jason Kidd won't be dismantling or retooling the Bucks just as they move into the new building, he'll be adding supplemental pieces to make deep playoff runs built around the team that's taking shape now.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #153 on: July 29, 2015, 07:57:37 AM »
Definitely, Giannis is 6'11" and he's only 3/4 the size of Kostas in this photo.

I just think he is solid top 60 recruit. When did Marquette become so good that we can put a local recruit like that on the back burner llike some have mentioned earlier in the thread.

Most top 60 guys start in high school, Kostas hasn't yet.  He's incredibly talented physically, but all reports are that he's extremely raw - can't really play basketball yet - so he's not the sure fire thing people think him to be.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #154 on: July 29, 2015, 08:58:37 AM »
Most top 60 guys start in high school, Kostas hasn't yet.  He's incredibly talented physically, but all reports are that he's extremely raw - can't really play basketball yet - so he's not the sure fire thing people think him to be.

I haven't seen him, but sounds a little like Tokoto or Darius Miles. Would we take a Tokoto or Miles at a similar stage in their careers? I know I would.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #155 on: July 29, 2015, 09:18:19 AM »
I haven't seen him, but sounds a little like Tokoto or Darius Miles. Would we take a Tokoto or Miles at a similar stage in their careers? I know I would.

I don't think Kostas is anywhere near where JPT was at this point.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #156 on: July 29, 2015, 09:20:18 AM »
Tokoto was miles ahead of him at this stage - no comparison really. I would say Tokoto didn't grow much as a basketball player while at UNC other than getting stronger. Was always a defensive stud who couldn't shoot that well.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #157 on: July 29, 2015, 09:31:26 AM »

I don't think Kostas is anywhere near where JPT was at this point.
At this point wasn't JP a top 40 recruit? Kostas is also 6'9 while JP was 6'6. I think Jamil probably would be a better comparison with being taller and less aggressive. Though Wilson was also way more advanced.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #158 on: July 29, 2015, 09:39:27 AM »
You are placing way too much emphasis on rankings.  247 has Kostas as the #21 player in the country.  I don't think other services have him near that.

Jamil and JPT were considered legit, high major prospects from early on.  Both were pretty dominant at the high school level in Wisconsin and had a wide range of basketball skills.

Everything I have heard about Kostas is that he is raw as hell.  And as mentioned above, didn't even start on his high school team.  My impression is that Wojo likes guys with a little more skill that he has shown at this point.  Yeah his upside could be big....or he could be another Juan Anderson type who spends four years showing flashes in between times of us banging our heads on the wall.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #159 on: July 29, 2015, 11:50:38 AM »
At this point wasn't JP a top 40 recruit? Kostas is also 6'9 while JP was 6'6. I think Jamil probably would be a better comparison with being taller and less aggressive. Though Wilson was also way more advanced.

At this point JPT may still have been a consensus top-5 recruit. He was really highly ranked and then fell quite a bit from the end of his junior year and throughout his senior year.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #160 on: July 29, 2015, 01:16:41 PM »
If you are going to take a flier, take a flier on a tall, raw prospect.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #161 on: July 29, 2015, 10:10:11 PM »
I just think he is solid top 60 recruit.

Wonder what your ranking is based on.

Kostas was in Greece instead of with PGE for the final evaluation period.. interesting? I don't know. Maybe there was good reason to be over there at that time?

Here's the thing with Kostas - I like him. Amazing potential. But it's 3-4 years away in my estimation. If he was a 2018... OK.

If anyone on here is opining without having watched him play several times over the past few months, please consider that you haven't seen him.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #162 on: July 29, 2015, 10:41:50 PM »
Thanks for the comparisons between Tokoto and Kostas. I honestly didn't know. I never saw a second of Tokoto in HS, nor have I seen Kostas.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2015, 08:53:29 AM »
I don't understand why it's an issue that he's not ready yet. Not all freshman are one and done's and not all freshman that go to high majors are asked to contribute their first year. If Kostas comes in as a 2016 recruit, our entire team will be back and he won't have to contribute. He could redshirt get a year under his belt with great coaching and weight training and then be better ready for his redshirt freshman year. If that happens, all of a sudden it seems like we got a steal. The kid is worthy of a scholarship IMO

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2015, 09:04:36 AM »
But you simply can't view it in a vacuum.  Giving a scholarship to Kostas means that you can't give it to someone else.  And right now MU only has one left for '16 - two if you think that HE goes pro next year.  Wojo is in a position that he can be pretty selective at this point.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2015, 01:09:13 PM »
Memphis offered him today. To think that he will go somewhere and redshirt of take a prep school year is just dumb. The kid has offers from plenty of high majors and I'm sure that at least one is offering playing time.
Bring back FFP!!!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2015, 02:07:46 PM »
Memphis offered him today. To think that he will go somewhere and redshirt of take a prep school year is just dumb. The kid has offers from plenty of high majors and I'm sure that at least one is offering playing time.

You do realize Kostas came off the bench last year, right?  I mean, he couldn't even beat out Jake Bennett at Dominican.  Jake Bennett!  I want to know which HM's are offering playing time.  LOL!  Yes, Kostas has a lot of potential but that's all it is at this point.  Right now he's closer to Trend Blackledge than Darius Miles.

I have no idea if Kostas will go to prep school or red-shirt.  I just am not ready to put him on the same level as guys like Amir Coffey and Brendan Bailey.  Look beyond the rankings.  Look beyond Giannis.  Kostas is very raw.  He could be great someday...or a bust.  Someone will take the gamble on him.  I just am not sure if he's worth it right now for MU.  Wojo may or may not agree with me.  If Kostas develops I'll change my tune but I'm not that into him at this point.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #167 on: July 31, 2015, 05:39:31 PM »

That scholarship may not be worth the paper it's printed on. I don't expect Josh Pastner will still be there by the time Kostas would arrive.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #168 on: July 31, 2015, 06:18:33 PM »
That scholarship may not be worth the paper it's printed on. I don't expect Josh Pastner will still be there by the time Kostas would arrive.

His contract is VERY interesting. Owns Memphis.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
His contract is VERY interesting. Owns Memphis.

If they fired him after this year, they'd owe him about $8M outright, isn't that correct? About $2.6M/year for (I think) three more seasons?

It'll be interesting to see if any of the Memphis alums are willing to pony up for that. With all the transfers out and recruiting misses, I have to imagine they are about ready to be rid of him. Still can't believe he got a fully guaranteed deal. Just senseless in this day and age.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2015, 07:16:37 PM »
If they fired him after this year, they'd owe him about $8M outright, isn't that correct? About $2.6M/year for (I think) three more seasons?

It'll be interesting to see if any of the Memphis alums are willing to pony up for that. With all the transfers out and recruiting misses, I have to imagine they are about ready to be rid of him. Still can't believe he got a fully guaranteed deal. Just senseless in this day and age.

Too busy drinking wine to pull out the contract (which was WORK and MONEY to get.. believe me, (1) Tennessee laws are odd and (2) Memphis was not pleased with my reques), but I may at some point this weekend...

feedback