'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by tower912
[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Kostas Antetokounmpo  (Read 69646 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Kostas Antetokounmpo
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2015, 11:30:11 AM »
It always amazes me how people on this site think they know more than the head coach and actually post statements that could hurt the coach's efforts. Telling recruits we do not want them, making fun of their names or ethnicity is counter productive.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2015, 11:33:33 AM »
Amen.    Recruits and their families/friends read these sites.   Just ask Diamond Stone's/Wes Mathews'/Vander Blue's families about Wisconsin fan sites.   I like to think that an MU education means something, but there are a few who go out of their way to prove otherwise. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2015, 12:17:43 PM »
I'll let Wojo decide whom he offers and whom he doesn't.  If Wojo offers Kostas and gets a commitment, then great.  But Kostas is still raw and he is still a project at this point.  Duane Wilson Sr. even called him "kind of raw" in the 247 article.  The recruiting ranking is based on potential but I think that #21 is hyping him up a bit too much.  That hype bothers me and people buying into the hype bother me.  I'd like to see Kostas earn it; show some production like did Anthony Davis when he went from unranked to #1 in the course of a summer.

Kostas is the equivalent of a pitching prospect that throws 100 mph but has no control.  Someone will take a chance on him developing into a star. If not a star, at least a solid prospect.

But the narrative that "He's blowing up!  Marquette must get him!  Get Kostas ASAP!" is not how I see things.  Just trying to call a spade a spade.  As it stands right now, Marquette is down to 1 spot for 2016 but I anticipate an oversign by 1.  Odds are either someone transfers or HE goes pro.  Kostas is definitely one of Wojo's options and it looks like Amir Coffey is a realistic one as well.  Perhaps Kyle Washington as well.  Is Kevin Huerter still an option or less of one given the recent commits?  Any chance Wojo can land Cassius Winston?  How about the big kid from Alabama that was offered?  Plus I don't even know what other options Wojo has or will have in the future.

So there are 1-2 spots and a pool of at least 4-6 prospects to choose from.  Kostas is in that pool but I wouldn't have him a for sure #1.  Maybe Wojo does, I don't know.  Will be interesting to see what happens.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2015, 12:27:44 PM »
1. Coffey. 2. Kostas.

Ideally, I'd just take both and let the scholarship situation figure itself out.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2015, 12:30:39 PM »
Good analysis.  Thanks.  I'm confident Wojo has a pecking order in mind and a realistic sense of who might actually sign.  Still having trouble with my math.

As it stands now for '16-'17:

Seniors
Wally
JJJ
Big Fishy

Juniors
Duane
Sandy
Andrew

Sophomores
Matty
Haanif
HE
Sacar
Traci

Freshmen
Sam
Player to be named.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2015, 11:09:23 AM »
Watched him two games last night in summer league. He is extremely raw, but very athletic. He put down some pretty impressive dunks off of euro-steps in transition that really reminded me of his brother. For most summer teams in the league, they seem to be working on getting their guys used to sets/plays, etc. Dominican seemed to just be just playing pick-up with Kostas doing mostly one-on-one isolation. Domincan was never really in their games versus Pius and Brook Central. My gut is that with the right coaching he has the tools to be nice D1 player by his junior year in college.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2015, 12:29:34 PM »
Watched him two games last night in summer league. He is extremely raw, but very athletic. He put down some pretty impressive dunks off of euro-steps in transition that really reminded me of his brother. For most summer teams in the league, they seem to be working on getting their guys used to sets/plays, etc. Dominican seemed to just be just playing pick-up with Kostas doing mostly one-on-one isolation. Domincan was never really in their games versus Pius and Brook Central. My gut is that with the right coaching he has the tools to be nice D1 player by his junior year in college.

That really doesn't sound like Wojo's style of basketball. I think this why we haven't seen Kostas get an offer yet
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2015, 12:57:52 PM »
That really doesn't sound like Wojo's style of basketball. I think this why we haven't seen Kostas get an offer yet

I think it's more likely due to Kostas being raw.  If Henry comes back, MU eyes a deep tourney run and Wojo needs a ready made player.  If HE turns pro, it's even more important to have a ready made player to replace Henry.  That's why I think Kyle Washington is a key target.  I wouldn't read too much into the style of play in a summer league game.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2015, 04:37:47 PM »
I think it's more likely due to Kostas being raw.
Maybe. I think it may the coaching/system also. If Kostas would be at Marquette High or Germantown this year, he would get much better competition and coaching in my opinion. That coach at Marq High got those kids to buy in and play hard. And even though Showwalter is gone, that Germantown team with senior leaders like McCloud at point and Max Keefe at forward/center look really disciplined and tough. Pair Keefe and Kostas together and that would give Sam Hauser and Co. a good run for their money.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2015, 05:45:40 PM »
I really think it depends on where his brother is playing. He could be traded from the Bucks or the Bucks could move to another city. No need to offer him at this point, since he will follow his brother to whatever city he ends up in, if leaves Milwaukee. If his brother ends up staying in Milwaukee and there is not a scholarship available then he will either go to UWM or his brother will pay his way to go to MU.

brandx

« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2015, 06:03:53 PM »
I really think it depends on where his brother is playing. He could be traded from the Bucks or the Bucks could move to another city. No need to offer him at this point, since he will follow his brother to whatever city he ends up in, if leaves Milwaukee. If his brother ends up staying in Milwaukee and there is not a scholarship available then he will either go to UWM or his brother will pay his way to go to MU.

The Bucks aren't trading Giannis.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2015, 06:09:13 PM »

you got just about every single thing in this post wrong.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2015, 06:39:07 PM »
Yep......

you got just about every single thing in this post wrong.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2015, 06:58:08 PM »
The Bucks aren't trading Giannis.
Hope not. He is really fun to watch. I love his smile and passion for the game -- he is having fun and it shows. Kostas seems to have that same kind of demeanor. Once he knocked down a guy through traffic and helped the guy up with a smile. Another time, a Pius kids looking to be about 6' 3" took the ball down the lane and was intending on slamming one down hard, Kostas came over, met him at the rim and stuffed him back (with no foul). The kid got up and Kostas game him a Mutumbo look and slapped him a high five for the effort. Nice to see kids having fun and being good sports. Loved seeing the Blackhawks/Lightning congratulate each other at the end of the playoffs last night as well.

brandx

« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2015, 07:41:23 PM »

Loved seeing the Blackhawks/Lightning congratulate each other at the end of the playoffs last night as well.

It's something that is always done in hockey finals - no matter how hard fought the series was. I agree that it is really nice to see.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2015, 07:48:37 PM »
@JBBauer612
Nike BBall Acad measurements for Kostas Antetokounmpo: 6'9.5" (in shoes), just 176 pounds. Lists as '17 but also has "old" last name. #mubb

7:43pm · 27 Jun 2015 · TweetDeck
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2015, 08:09:05 PM »
So, he's Bo Ellis' size ai na? Will Kostas be playin' in shoes?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2015, 01:56:05 AM »
@JBBauer612
Nike BBall Acad measurements for Kostas Antetokounmpo: 6'9.5" (in shoes), just 176 pounds. Lists as '17 but also has "old" last name. #mubb

7:43pm · 27 Jun 2015 · TweetDeck

What does the part about his age mean?  Implying that being foreign its easier to fudge his age?  I've never heard that term.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2015, 07:28:37 AM »
What does the part about his age mean?  Implying that being foreign its easier to fudge his age?  I've never heard that term.
A reference to his brother...?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2015, 11:03:50 AM »

Let me clarify.

In Nike's materials, they show him as being in the class of 2017 instead of 2016. Perhaps they were told he has made a decision to reclassify and therefore are using 2017. This would be, IMO, a good move for Kostas... and from an MU recruiting standpoint, would move him out of the 2016 class where we are currently low on "open" slots.

So the question is whether there is significance to the 2017 listing for Kostas, or if it's just an error in Nike's materials?

Lending additional reason to believe it may just be an error is that they also listed the last name he and his brothers used to go by. I don't know the backstory on it, but I do know they used to go by Adetokunbo and not Antetokounmpo...

...maybe Kostas still uses Adeokunbo and gave Nike that name and the 2017 class... maybe not...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #145 on: June 28, 2015, 11:31:24 AM »
BeeJay,
Any truth to the rumor that he's Stone's half brother from Iceland, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2015, 08:47:15 PM »

Giannis is participating right now in a NBA showcase in Africa and brought his brothers. Here's a pic of Kostas. I really don't know how you don't recruit this kid as hard as you can. He has a top 10 athleticism potential, a Milwaukee connection, and (from everything I can tell) a lineage of hard-working bball players. No reason to put him on a b-list as he will always be worthy of a spot at MU.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2015, 08:49:09 PM »
Plus, he looks to be at least 8 ft. tall and still growin', ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2015, 08:55:32 PM »
Plus, he looks to be at least 8 ft. tall and still growin', ai na?
Definitely, Giannis is 6'11" and he's only 3/4 the size of Kostas in this photo.

I just think he is solid top 60 recruit. When did Marquette become so good that we can put a local recruit like that on the back burner llike some have mentioned earlier in the thread.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2015, 09:05:28 PM »
Definitely, Giannis is 6'11" and he's only 3/4 the size of Kostas in this photo.

I just think he is solid top 60 recruit. When did Marquette become so good that we can put a local recruit like that on the back burner llike some have mentioned earlier in the thread.

When we have only one scholarship available and when Wojo seems to have prioritized others higher right now.