[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jay Bilas In The WSJ On How To Fix College Sports (hint: pay is involved)  (Read 23105 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
A March Madness Underdog: Free Enterprise
The ESPN analyst and former Duke star on why players should be paid and how to overhaul the ‘exploitive’ NCAA.
By Allysia Finley
Updated March 27, 2015 6:44 p.m. ET
Bristol, Conn.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/allysia-finley-a-march-madness-underdog-free-enterprise-1427493090

March Madness—the manic three-week tournament that culminates each college basketball season—may be the most celebrated vernal rite in the U.S. other than Easter. Last year’s games averaged 10.5 million viewers, with more than 21.2 million fans tuning into the championship between the universities of Connecticut and Kentucky.

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) will rake in about $800 million from the broadcasting rights to this year’s tournament—a more than 500% increase from two decades ago. Yet this represents a mere sliver of the nearly $12 billion in revenues that flow annually through college athletic programs—principally, men’s football and basketball.

“This is a multibillion-dollar business. It’s professional in every way except in how the athletes are treated,” asserts ESPN’s pre-eminent college basketball analyst, Jay Bilas, who played center for Duke from 1982 to 1986. The straight-shooter doesn’t waste time getting to his point: “When you are profiting off someone else while restricting them from earning a profit, that’s exploitation.”

Decked in a warm-up suit and Los Angeles Dodgers baseball cap (he would change into business attire for “SportsCenter” an hour later), Mr. Bilas sat down with me at ESPN’s headquarters to discuss the future of the NCAA and college basketball. When not calling games or analyzing them, the Duke grad practices commercial law, a background that underlines his views about the governing body of college sports. To wit, the NCAA has become unwieldy and inequitable, to the detriment of basketball. His solution? Make the NCAA operate more like the free market and less like an overfed government bureaucracy.

The chief debate in college sports is whether players should be paid. Current and former college athletes led by ex-UCLA basketball forward Ed O’Bannon have sued the NCAA under the Sherman Antitrust Act for selling the use of their names and likenesses to broadcasters and videogame makers without giving players a cut. Under the pretext of preserving amateurism, the NCAA prohibits college athletes from earning compensation tied to their performance.

Mr. Bilas thinks the rules are hogwash. “No other student on any campus is restricted from earning whatever they can earn in whatever area they can earn it,” he notes. That includes techies, musicians and actresses like Emma Watson, who earned millions for playing Hermione Granger in the “Harry Potter” movies while attending Brown University.

Federal judge Claudia Wilken ruled last August that colleges could put money into trusts for players, payable when they leave the team. But she held that the NCAA could cap the amount at $5,000 per player annually. Last week the Ninth Circuit heard the NCAA’s appeal, though a ruling isn’t expected for at least several weeks.

Mr. Bilas praises Judge Wilken for smacking down the NCAA’s “industrywide wage restriction,” but he says the ruling is “flawed” in some respects and the $5,000 cap “arbitrary.” To be clear, he emphasizes, “I’m not advocating and never have that athletes should be paid. It might be a distinction without a difference to some, but what I’m saying is that it shouldn’t be disallowed.”

Under Mr. Bilas’s ideal system, college athletes would be paid what the market deems them to be worth. They could earn remuneration from the colleges and cash in on endorsement deals like their professional counterparts. Critics of that idea, including the NCAA, argue that this would corrupt college sports. President Obama last weekend weighed in on the debate by declaring that compensating athletes would “ruin the sense of college sports” and create “bidding wars” for players. The fear is that deep-pocketed programs will be able to buy up the best players, which would make smaller colleges less competitive.

Mr. Bilas scoffs: “What they are calling a ‘bidding war,’ the rest of the world calls business,” he says. “What most reasonable economists would say is: ‘No, actually, if these universities could pay, the smaller, lesser universities would have better opportunities. They could marshal their resources.’ ” For example, he says, Wichita State can’t compete for players with the University of Kansas. However, if colleges could pay, Wichita State might be able to offer the Jayhawks’ third recruit a better salary and poach him.

Mr. Bilas argues that schools are, in a sense, already competing like this. There are no restrictions on coaches’ compensation. “Should we not have nicer facilities at the bigger schools because the smaller schools can’t afford them?” he asks. Point taken.

Across the landscape, outlays for coaching and facilities have risen astronomically as revenues have soared. Consider the University of California, Los Angeles, whose athletics department generated $84 million in 2013. The university spent $31 million on coaching staff. Football coach Jim Mora earned $3.25 million, four times what the head coach made in 2006. Last year UCLA completed a $136 million renovation of its Pauley Pavilion basketball stadium. In contrast, only $11.6 million was spent on scholarships—across all sports.

Median revenues at the top 120 NCAA Division I programs doubled to $56 million in 2012 from 2004. More than a dozen college-sports programs gross over $100 million a year. Mr. Bilas predicts that the pot will continue to expand. “Nobody could imagine when I was a kid that people would be paying $100 for a ticket to a college-football game—and they’re doing it,” he says.

But he stresses that his beef isn’t that the raw totals are too high; it’s that the ban on paying players skews the market and misallocates resources. For instance, some college basketball players might not bolt for the NBA after one year if they could get paid. “It’s a huge distortion because they don’t pay their primary revenue drivers, which is the players,” he explains. “The NBA doesn’t pay as much for coaches” or “build the facilities that college builds.”

Further, he argues that the compensation ban encourages rather than deters corruption. Many universities, such as Syracuse and the University of Southern California, have been sanctioned by the NCAA because athletes received money under the table. “Right now a player is prohibited from having an agent,” Mr. Bilas says. “That means the only contact an athlete is going to have is with unethical ones because the ethical agents are on the sidelines.”

Under the Bilas system, colleges and athletes would negotiate contracts that could include a noncompete clause, to induce players to stay for their full college terms, and a behavior clause in case they run afoul of the law. Athletes could unionize if they want, as football players at Northwestern University last year sought the approval of the National Labor Relations Board to do.

“The rest of the world operates in a free market. It’s really not that big of a deal. It’s amazing how we can all handle this free-market system, but the athletes can’t,” Mr. Bilas exclaims. Opponents of paying athletes, he says, act as if “the world is going to spin off its axis, that dogs and cats are going to be living together—all these doomsday scenarios.” The real reason why the NCAA is fighting the free market, he says, is that “they don’t want to lose control of the money.”

This brings us to the structure of the 105-year-old institution, which may be due for a revolution or constitutional convention. “A couple of years ago, the NCAA spoke with such pride about reducing the rule book by a few pages,” Mr. Bilas says, “but it’s still bigger than the phone book”—407 pages for the Division I manual. The result is a bloated and intractable bureaucracy.

Case in point is college basketball, which spectators and analysts including Mr. Bilas have criticized for its slow tempo and low scoring. Teams have averaged 67.1 points this season through Feb. 22—a 60-year nadir, according to Sports Illustrated. Average possessions per 40-minute game have fallen by 6.5% since 2002. Average attendance has been declining for the past seven years and dropped last season to a record low. Broadcasting revenues have increased, but that is in part because there are more televised games.

Mr. Bilas faults the unduly long 35-second shot clock in the college men’s game. In women’s college basketball, the shot clock is 30 seconds. In the NBA and international leagues, players have 24 seconds. “The game is not adapting. Every other game has adapted,” says Mr. Bilas. “The international game just put in a rule that if you get an offensive rebound, the shot clock doesn’t reset to 24. It resets to 14 because you don’t have to bring the ball up.”

College basketball needs a commissioner like the pros have, he says, rather than just sundry committees with diffuse responsibilities. As Alexander Hamilton observed, there is energy in the executive. Mr. Bilas would also bar coaches from sitting on the rules committee. By his telling, the NCAA presents a classic case of regulatory capture, with coaches tailoring the rules to their liking.

He also recommends that the NCAA leave academics alone. “The NCAA is an athletic association. What they should be doing is staying in their lane and administering athletic competition. They’re not an accreditation service,” he says.

OK, but doesn’t the NCAA have an obligation to prevent the kind of egregious, systematic cheating that spanned two decades at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill? In 2011, it was revealed that the head of the African and Afro-American Studies department had conspired to give thousands of students, including many athletes at risk of losing eligibility, credit for no-show classes. “Now, there may have been athletic benefits . . . but are we really going to ask coaches to monitor the conduct of academic departments?” Mr. Bilas asks. “Shouldn’t chancellors, presidents and provosts be responsible for that?”

Too often, Mr. Bilas argues, the NCAA plays the name-and-shame game and throws the book at rulebreakers to promote its self-image—which in his opinion is a sham—as a high-minded institution. Earlier this year, Syracuse was punished mainly because athletics department staff members improperly assisted a few basketball players with their course work. The NCAA suspended basketball coach Jim Boeheim for nine games, vacated 108 wins since 2004 and eliminated 12 scholarships over the next four years. “There were clearly rules violations,” says Mr. Bilas, but “the penalties were disproportional.” He likens the episode to “saying I was speeding, and I admit that I was speeding, so we’re going to deem that a felony, and you’re going to spend 10 years in jail.”

As for the argument that colleges are failing to provide students with a marketable education, Mr. Bilas believes that it is “up to each individual to get an education. Where I think the exploitation comes from is when you are running a multibillion-dollar business and everyone gets their fair-market value except the athlete.”

Mr. Bilas’s least controversial opinion may be his prediction that the undefeated Kentucky Wildcats will win the tournament. But like his other views, this pick seems logical.

Ms. Finley is an editorial writer for the Journal.

4everwarriors

• All American
Bilas pushes paper for a livin'. Sounds par for the course, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
This is spot-on and I love the international rule.

Case in point is college basketball, which spectators and analysts including Mr. Bilas have criticized for its slow tempo and low scoring. Teams have averaged 67.1 points this season through Feb. 22—a 60-year nadir, according to Sports Illustrated. Average possessions per 40-minute game have fallen by 6.5% since 2002. Average attendance has been declining for the past seven years and dropped last season to a record low. Broadcasting revenues have increased, but that is in part because there are more televised games.

Mr. Bilas faults the unduly long 35-second shot clock in the college men’s game. In women’s college basketball, the shot clock is 30 seconds. In the NBA and international leagues, players have 24 seconds. “The game is not adapting. Every other game has adapted,” says Mr. Bilas. “The international game just put in a rule that if you get an offensive rebound, the shot clock doesn’t reset to 24. It resets to 14 because you don’t have to bring the ball up.”

chapman

• All American
This is spot-on and I love the international rule.

Seems like there is support to go to 30, hopefully for next season.  Also really like that international rule of a lower reset for offensive rebounds.  Nothing as lame as Bennett Ball where missing and getting the rebound is better than making it cause you can milk another 35.

Groin_pull

• All American
It's worth a try. College hoops needs help. Getting tougher and tougher to watch. This year, I suffered through a handful of MU games and that was about it. Started to watch other games...but quickly lost interest.

GGGG

• All American
Other international rules I would adopt....

*No timeouts unless it is a dead ball.
*Once the ball hits the rim, it can be touched by a offensive or defensive player.

Also the college game should adapt the NBA sized lane.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Jay Bilas for NCAA commissioner?  It would be a great way to start intelligent reform, so...

It ain't gonna happen
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
Then all you'd need to do is make it so anyone buying cable TV can decide on a wide variety of different sports channel packages or decline sports channels completely, and America would again be a great country.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Then all you'd need to do is make it so anyone buying cable TV can decide on a wide variety of different sports channel packages or decline sports channels completely, and America would again be a great country.

Forget buy....we should make them all FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Be careful what you ask for with the shot clock.  If you speed up the game more, you make it more and more like the NBA which is a no thank you for me.  Furthermore, you reduce the chances for upsets because the small ball and slow ball can work to a better degree with a 35 shot clock then a 30 or 24.  More possessions reduce the chances for a lesser team of talent to win. 

I don't see widening the lane as a benefit with the lack of quality post players in college anyway.  Makes is next to impossible to get an offensive rebound on a free throw miss as well.

For the love of Jesus, please don't adopt the NBA rule where you can advance the ball to half court on a timeout.  Lamest rule in all of sports.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Be careful what you ask for with the shot clock.  If you speed up the game more, you make it more and more like the NBA which is a no thank you for me. 

Maybe for you but not the rest of the country.  As the story above says, all college basketball ratings are at a 7 year low.  But the NBA ratings are going up.  The public likes the NBA game more than the college game.

The final two minutes of a college game is PAINFUL! ... the timeouts, the FTs, the ref having to look at the replays.  It can take 30 minutes to finish a game!!  If nothing else they have to adopt rules to end the constant standing around at the end of the game.  Throw the ball in, start the clock and finish the game!!

MU Buff

• Starter
I'll never understand why coaches get so many timeouts in basketball (college and pro). The end of games can be unbearable and it's the reason I've heard from casual fans as to why they don't watch it more.

Groin_pull

• All American
I'll never understand why coaches get so many timeouts in basketball (college and pro). The end of games can be unbearable and it's the reason I've heard from casual fans as to why they don't watch it more.

More timeouts. More advertisements. More money.

MU Buff

• Starter
Football does just fine with three timeouts.

brandx

18 timeouts + reviews = intolerable.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
More timeouts. More advertisements. More money.

Not if the constant stoppage of play drives fans away.

Pakuni

• All American

But there are way more natural breaks in the action (i.e. after every score, after every change of possession) in a football game than in a basketball game.

CTWarrior

• All American
Best way to increase scoring is to officiate the games tighter.  You're going to have to bite the bullet with some foulfests for a couple of seasons until everyone gets used to it.  The other thing is for officials to err more on the side of the offense on block/charge calls.  It is much more exciting to watch defenders try to block shots than to just jump in a driver's way.  Heck, we were as guilty as anybody during Buzz's early years.  Anybody trying to run through the lane against us would get bounced around like a superball.

I remember when Georgetown got good in the 80s I didn't like them because I thought they got away with an excessive amount of hacking.  What they did then would be considered mild by today's standards.  

Also, strength and athleticism are gradually overtaking skill in the college game.  Not sure what can be done about that.  Skillful players who lack elite athleticism are having more and more trouble getting free to make shots.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:57:27 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American

Football basically has a 30 second timeout after every play!  TOs in football are usually just to manage the clock.  The game takes over three hours and they are actually playing football (snap to tackle) for less than 15 minutes.

MU Buff

• Starter
And there's something like 18 fouls per game in college basketball plus four TV timeouts per half. Plenty of time to rest and the pg can run over and talk to coach when free throws are being shot. Why do coaches need five timeouts? They just save them for the last two minutes and call them every possession. And along with fouls at the end, that's part of the reason the average person doesn't want to watch it.

CTWarrior

• All American
And there's something like 18 fouls per game in college basketball plus four TV timeouts per half. Plenty of time to rest and the pg can run over and talk to coach when free throws are being shot. Why do coaches need five timeouts? They just save them for the last two minutes and call them every possession. And along with fouls at the end, that's part of the reason the average person doesn't want to watch it.

I agree with you that there are too many timeouts in college basketball.  But really, who is watching a close game for 2 hours and turning it off in the last few minutes because of a lot of timeouts?  Or deciding not to watch the next one for that reason?

As I get older, I do find myself bored and turning off games in all sports when I don't particularly care who wins.  I find the lengthier timeouts and breaks between innings and the incessant in-game hyping of the next crappy sitcom growing more and more tiresome.  All sports are purposely making their product less desirable in search of milking every penny now. 

chapman

• All American

Plus replay challenge timeouts (that if won, don't take away from the three timeouts).  Plus booth replay reviews.  Plus the outdated and stupid two minute warning.  Plus more injury timeouts than any sport.  Plus 40 seconds to run a play. 

Groin_pull

• All American
I agree with you that there are too many timeouts in college basketball.  But really, who is watching a close game for 2 hours and turning it off in the last few minutes because of a lot of timeouts?  Or deciding not to watch the next one for that reason?

As I get older, I do find myself bored and turning off games in all sports when I don't particularly care who wins.  I find the lengthier timeouts and breaks between innings and the incessant in-game hyping of the next crappy sitcom growing more and more tiresome.  All sports are purposely making their product less desirable in search of milking every penny now. 

Sports are becoming more and more difficult to sit through. The only thing worse than watching these timeout fests on TV is being inside the arena or stadium. Go to a Packers game. Seems like all you do is watch players stand around on the field waiting for the commercial breaks to end. Very tedious. Each sport has its time issues. Baseball, basketball, and football. All more enjoyable to watch years ago.
Unfortunately, TV dollars rule all...and that ain't gonna change. So expect more breaks in the "action."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Maybe for you but not the rest of the country.  As the story above says, all college basketball ratings are at a 7 year low.  But the NBA ratings are going up.  The public likes the NBA game more than the college game.

The final two minutes of a college game is PAINFUL! ... the timeouts, the FTs, the ref having to look at the replays.  It can take 30 minutes to finish a game!!  If nothing else they have to adopt rules to end the constant standing around at the end of the game.  Throw the ball in, start the clock and finish the game!!

Please point out where in that article it says tv ratings are at a 7 year low.  It says ATTENDANCE is down to a 7 year low.  Part of that is the inclusion of more DI schools, which have smaller gymnasiums and bring down the average.  Some of that is because so many games are on television that people choose to stay home.  

The final two minutes are painful, but that is easily fixed without adjusting some of the other rules.

SOME of the public likes the NBA game.  Some of the public likes the college game.  Do not assume that basketball fans like both versions.  We've done many studies over the years when I headed up sports at DTV on cross over of NBA and college basketball fans.  You would be surprised how man people like one and not the other. So if you make one game more like the other which they don't like, you risk alienating those fans as well.  Everything in moderation.

The last 2 minutes of a college game is actually better than the last 2 minutes of a NBA game in my view.  The refs can go to the monitor in th NBA, too.  Timeouts an issue in the NBA, too.  Except the NBA still gives two free throws to the best players in the world, which is mind boggling.  You could eliminate that from college hoops, but that's a major strategic concept removed if you go down that path.

And NBA ratings were down last year....by quite a bit.  http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/04/nba-regular-season-wrap-multi-year-lows-for-nba-tv-partners/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 02:22:19 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Dawson Rental

• All American
Forget buy....we should make them all FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Gosh darn it, you've convinced me!

feedback