[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Should DePaul Be Drummed Out of the Big East?

Yes
31 (24.2%)
No
70 (54.7%)
No, Because We Need a Good Laugh Now and Then!
27 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Author Topic: Should DePaul Be Drummed Out of the Big East?  (Read 16199 times)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: Should DePaul Be Drummed Out of the Big East?
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2015, 03:22:02 PM »
I get what you're saying about the potential for a turnaround, but the flip side is that the Big East has already lost this market, even with having DePaul in it.

I think one Super recruit like a Parker or Okafor might START to turn it around.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2015, 03:27:50 PM »

I think one Super recruit like a Parker or Okafor might START to turn it around.

The getting of one of those recruits might manage to package some other decent local recruits. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2015, 03:36:46 PM »
Add Dayton, Davidson, or VCU, and stay with 12 for a while. Don't get rid of DePaul.

The Big East will add Richmond before it adds Davidson.  Georgetown has a relationship and likes their academics.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2015, 03:43:58 PM »

Pat Kennedy got such a Super recruit in 1998. His name was Quentin Richardson. He was one of the best high school players in America, had two great seasons at DePaul and went on to have a long, successful NBA career.

Bobby Simmons and Lance Williams joined Richardson at DePaul, and it was heralded as DePaul's resurgence in the Chicago recruiting world. Steven Hunter, a highly recruited 7-footer, followed the next season.

After two good (but not great) seasons with "Q," DePaul went back into the toilet. Kennedy stopped recruiting great Chicago players, there were all kinds of reports of cheating, and Kennedy soon was gone.

So it takes more than just one Super recruit.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2015, 03:44:36 PM »

The problem is super recruits don't go to dumpster fire programs.  DePaul has a lot of work to do before that kind of recruit is simply delusional for them.  BTW, DePaul was the first school to start recruiting Okafor, and he didn't even try to help them out by giving them a University of Wisconsin style second place finish.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2015, 03:47:06 PM »

Gee, kinda like Henry Ellenson?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2015, 03:51:13 PM »
The problem is super recruits don't go to dumpster fire programs.  DePaul has a lot of work to do before that kind of recruit is simply delusional for them.  BTW, DePaul was the first school to start recruiting Okafor, and he didn't even try to help them out by giving them a University of Wisconsin style second place finish.

At least Jabari gave Depaul that honorary second place feeling.  But I would argue some super recruits could change a program I mean think of what's been happening with LSU.  They were terrible for a bit there and suddenly they've got like 4? former all americans on their team next year?
Maigh Eo for Sam

chapman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2015, 03:52:52 PM »
The Big East will add Richmond before it adds Davidson.  Georgetown has a relationship and likes their academics.

Davidson also has a size issue - less than 2,000 undergrads.  Richmond isn't even at 3,500 though, not much better.

What's also rough about a current program not achieving - it's easier to take a flier on a program like Richmond or BU, understanding that it could take a few years for them to adapt to a higher level of competition if you have 10 schools already committed.  The "someone needs to lose" mindset is easier to adopt when it feels like everyone is trying.  Seton Hall has been the other boob of our time in the Big East, but they at least give the sense of committing to fielding quality teams even if the results have mostly been a cluster.

Gee, kinda like Henry Ellenson?

I would love if trades were in college basketball only to see what kind of terrible deals JLP would offer, and execute.  She would probably offer two track athletes for Ellenson.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 03:54:48 PM by chapman »

source?

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2015, 03:54:30 PM »
I voted no.

Think about it this way.  If DePaul were not already in the conference, would we be talking about them as a potential candidate?

Come on.  Be honest with yourselves.  The answer is yes, we would.  We would be singing the praises of the Chicago TV market, recruiting, institutional fit, the history, etc.  I mean come on.  There are people drooling over the prospect of SLU.  If SLU has a lot of potential, then DePaul has it in spades.

When we were discussing SLU, they had recently hired Majerus, were in the middle of a 3 year run in which they were ranked in the top 15, on their way to 3 NCAA tourney appearances in a row, and had just built a brand new stadium. DePaul has had 14 losing seasons in the last 20 years, SLU has had 6. They are also a much stronger academic institution than DePaul.

If DePaul had not been in the Big East, and had moved to a league like the Horizon, dominated, and gotten a bid every other year or so over that span, then we are talking about them as an expansion possibility. If they remain in Conference USA and struggle similarly to how they did in the Big East, then we are probably picking up SLU.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2015, 04:22:09 PM »
Maybe it has already been covered but is there a mechanism in place by which a member of the Big East can be kicked out of the league? Fwiw I voted no but as I was reading this thread I started to wonder... Should DePaul be allowed a free ride of TV revenue and NCAA credits indefinitely  If the answer is no when do you pull the plug?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2015, 04:39:30 PM »
Maybe it has already been covered but is there a mechanism in place by which a member of the Big East can be kicked out of the league? Fwiw I voted no but as I was reading this thread I started to wonder... Should DePaul be allowed a free ride of TV revenue and NCAA credits indefinitely  If the answer is no when do you pull the plug?

The discussion won't start until Fox Sports decides to start it.  They are the ones putting up the majority of the cash.

feedback