[March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM]

NCAA Ticket Strategy by MU82
[March 18, 2024, 10:06:13 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by JWags85
[March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[March 18, 2024, 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Poll

Should DePaul Be Drummed Out of the Big East?

Yes
31 (24.2%)
No
70 (54.7%)
No, Because We Need a Good Laugh Now and Then!
27 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Author Topic: Should DePaul Be Drummed Out of the Big East?  (Read 16192 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Should DePaul Be Drummed Out of the Big East?
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 09:44:40 AM »
What goes around, comes around, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 09:49:10 AM »
I've heard (and I think it was posted on the board before) that DePaul's AD's plan is to just get the revenue from the basketball teams in the Big East and then apply that revenue to all the other sports. The DePaul Vincentian philosphy is that all sports and all student-athletes should be treated the same.

But they don't treat them the same ... they are competitive in a number of sports but not only consistently last in MBB but "way last."

No one is asking for a repeat of the early 1980s.  Just target being 5th place.  Just be average!!!

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 09:54:12 AM »
I voted no.

Think about it this way.  If DePaul were not already in the conference, would we be talking about them as a potential candidate?

Come on.  Be honest with yourselves.  The answer is yes, we would.  We would be singing the praises of the Chicago TV market, recruiting, institutional fit, the history, etc.  I mean come on.  There are people drooling over the prospect of SLU.  If SLU has a lot of potential, then DePaul has it in spades.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »
I voted no.

Think about it this way.  If DePaul were not already in the conference, would we be talking about them as a potential candidate?

Come on.  Be honest with yourselves.  The answer is yes, we would.  We would be singing the praises of the Chicago TV market, recruiting, institutional fit, the history, etc.  I mean come on.  There are people drooling over the prospect of SLU.  If SLU has a lot of potential, then DePaul has it in spades.

There should be another option "No - But Someone Tell Them They Are Obligated To Compete"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 09:57:46 AM »
I'll also say this...I know as a Marquette fan, I should be grateful to DePaul. In the wake of the Dukiet years when men's basketball here was at its lowest point, it was largely due to DePaul that Marquette was invited to the Great Midwest in 1991. However, I also feel that debt was repaid when Marquette made sure that DePaul was brought along from C-USA when we joined the Big East in 2005.

This new league needs to have top-to-bottom success. Yes, some teams will lose, that's the case in any league, but DePaul doesn't even seem to be trying. We repaid our debt to them years ago. Honestly, they should feel fortunate they were even included in the C7 considering the half-decade of ineptitude that led to it. Lots of schools wanted in when we went off on our own. I have no doubt there would still be plenty of interest in the coming years if DePaul can't pull their own weight.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

source?

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 10:00:07 AM »
I voted no, but would like to add one comment. It is my understanding that the new arena that is being built will not actually be owned by DePaul. They will still be paying rent, albeit at a reduced rate. Technically Loyola could schedule games there as well, although that is unlikely considering they just put a bunch of money into their Gentile Center.

source?

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 10:03:24 AM »
I'll also say this...I know as a Marquette fan, I should be grateful to DePaul. In the wake of the Dukiet years when men's basketball here was at its lowest point, it was largely due to DePaul that Marquette was invited to the Great Midwest in 1991. However, I also feel that debt was repaid when Marquette made sure that DePaul was brought along from C-USA when we joined the Big East in 2005.

This new league needs to have top-to-bottom success. Yes, some teams will lose, that's the case in any league, but DePaul doesn't even seem to be trying. We repaid our debt to them years ago. Honestly, they should feel fortunate they were even included in the C7 considering the half-decade of ineptitude that led to it. Lots of schools wanted in when we went off on our own. I have no doubt there would still be plenty of interest in the coming years if DePaul can't pull their own weight.

Just a point, the C7 needed 7 schools who had been playing together for a certain number of years to get the auto-bid to the NCAA tourney. DePaul was the only school it made sense to bring.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 10:26:40 AM »
I voted no.

Think about it this way.  If DePaul were not already in the conference, would we be talking about them as a potential candidate?

Come on.  Be honest with yourselves.  The answer is yes, we would.  We would be singing the praises of the Chicago TV market, recruiting, institutional fit, the history, etc.  I mean come on.  There are people drooling over the prospect of SLU.  If SLU has a lot of potential, then DePaul has it in spades.

I'm drumming up BU if we have to expand.  But I think I'm alone.  DePaul would have a little less noise than Dayton, and for the opposite reasons.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 10:31:12 AM »
Add Dayton, Davidson, or VCU, and stay with 12 for a while. Don't get rid of DePaul.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:33:19 AM by Bleuteaux »

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 10:34:32 AM »
MU fans should not be voting to kick out a team that had a better season than MU had. 

That makes a lot of sense.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 10:39:19 AM »
Somebody's gotta lose and fill the basement.  Personally I'd prefer a bottom feeder that has a winning tradition and is in a major market than a bottom feeder that drags us to some small much farther cities to a school with a fraction of the tradition. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 10:40:23 AM »
I'm drumming up BU if we have to expand.  But I think I'm alone.  DePaul would have a little less noise than Dayton, and for the opposite reasons.

I'm with you. I'd love to be able to easily see two MU games every year - BU and PC.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 10:47:20 AM »
MU fans should not be voting to kick out a team that had a better season than MU had. 

It's not about one season, though. 16-110 in the past 7 years. 8 straight losing Big East campaigns. In the past 2 years, all three new additions (Creighton, Butler, Xavier) have more NCAA credits earned than DePaul in the last 10 years.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 11:20:41 AM »

No Can not lose this market and things will change. Its faster to turnaround basketball than other major sports.

I get what you're saying about the potential for a turnaround, but the flip side is that the Big East has already lost this market, even with having DePaul in it.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2015, 11:21:19 AM »
Should dopey polls stop being presented on Scoop?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2015, 11:28:39 AM »
I voted no.

We'd be kidding ourselves because we'd also be talking about how DePaul was a sleeping giant and how once they had access to the exposure, prestige and financial resources that come with membership in the Big East they would become a formidable men's basketball program.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2015, 11:43:22 AM »
We'd be kidding ourselves because we'd also be talking about how DePaul was a sleeping giant and how once they had access to the exposure, prestige and financial resources that come with membership in the Big East they would become a formidable men's basketball program.

If they were posting these same numbers in the Horizon or MVC, we'd be considering them about as seriously as we are considering UIC or Loyola Chicago.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2015, 11:49:14 AM »
I'm with you. I'd love to be able to easily see two MU games every year - BU and PC.

Make that 3.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2015, 11:54:53 AM »
Should dopey polls stop being presented on Scoop?

Not sure, but it sounds like a good poll

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2015, 12:25:42 PM »
While it is extremely disappointing that DePaul has clearly shown no commitment whatsoever towards improving its men's basketball program, I truly feel that it is only a matter of time before the university starts feeling the pinch from the Big East, Fox and the city of Chicago to get new leadership and actually start putting resources into the program.

The fact that JLP, on camera, during a live press conference, said that fundraising and facilities do not make a program successful (in a current state where the athletic program is barely breaking even) had to have made the Big East and Fox executives (especially Val Ackermann) furious.  Each of the Big East schools has, within the past several years, pumped significant cash into their basketball programs - trying to separate themselves from the A-10, MVC, Horizon and WCC conferences.  We want to be the absolute best basketball conference, not just outside the P5, but a part of it as well.  DePaul directly just showed that not only have they not, but they don't see a need and/or desire to.  Unreal.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2015, 12:37:17 PM »
nBC Sports reporting they kicked the tires on Tim Floyd, who would've been a questionable hire but STILL more understandable than Dave Leitao.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2015, 01:18:44 PM »
nBC Sports reporting they kicked the tires on Tim Floyd, who would've been a questionable hire but STILL more understandable than Dave Leitao.

Pretty sure Tim Floyd got offered the Zona job before Sean Miller took it.  His age is a concern (besides ethics), but he'd have been a walk off homer compared to Leitao.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2015, 01:21:37 PM »

That would have been fun, but only if Buzz was still in the league.  They could each share Mayo recruiting stories.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2015, 01:24:35 PM »
DePaul should start by changing their ugly uniforms. What recruit wants to go to that dumpster fire and also look like crap while doing it?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2015, 03:05:21 PM »
While it is extremely disappointing that DePaul has clearly shown no commitment whatsoever towards improving its men's basketball program, I truly feel that it is only a matter of time before the university starts feeling the pinch from the Big East, Fox and the city of Chicago to get new leadership and actually start putting resources into the program.

The fact that JLP, on camera, during a live press conference, said that fundraising and facilities do not make a program successful (in a current state where the athletic program is barely breaking even) had to have made the Big East and Fox executives (especially Val Ackermann) furious.  Each of the Big East schools has, within the past several years, pumped significant cash into their basketball programs - trying to separate themselves from the A-10, MVC, Horizon and WCC conferences.  We want to be the absolute best basketball conference, not just outside the P5, but a part of it as well.  DePaul directly just showed that not only have they not, but they don't see a need and/or desire to.  Unreal.

The crazy thing is that DePaul has a ton of alumni. A ton. And many, many, many super succesful alumni who would love to see the Blue Demons reclaim their 1980's glory. It's not like they'd have to ask hard if they just put a winner on the court. DePaul is the most maddening sports program ever.

We Are Marquette

feedback