[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka  (Read 98770 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Shaka
« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2015, 08:34:23 AM »
We care a little bit.  When Bo hangs it up, UW would be a likely destination unless he's locked up at a different high profile job.

Can you imagine the exploding badger nation heads going from Bo's recruiting and playing style to Shaka's?   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2015, 08:35:52 AM »
Lmao at your first rate rap list.

His first rate jam band comment is way more ridiculous. Btw I'm a fan of summerfest, but since I don't live in Milwaukee I only go when I want to see someone. My days of wondering around from stage to stage are over.
Bring back FFP!!!

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2015, 08:45:26 AM »
Can you imagine the exploding badger nation heads going from Bo's recruiting and playing style to Shaka's?   

I suspect this guy, for one, would not approve.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2015, 08:48:46 AM »
We care a little bit.  When Bo hangs it up, UW would be a likely destination unless he's locked up at a different high profile job.

It'll go to Gard.

And I wouldn't mind Shaka getting it.  He made one nice NCAA Tournament run.  Otherwise the hype is much more than the reality.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2015, 08:51:12 AM »

You mean when they can no longer be veiled racists?

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2015, 09:25:23 AM »
I'd assume that, if you had the cred Shaka does, you'd want to take a job that gave you a solid improvement in recruiting base. As we have seen time and time again, Wisconsin doesn't give you that.

I'd guess a Texas/Florida/mayyyyybe Indiana

Keep in mind Shaka was quoted as saying he didn't enjoy his time in Madison and highlighted a series of racist incidents he was the victim of. Not sure I'd be high-tailing it home if that was my experience.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2015, 10:07:44 AM »
His first rate jam band comment is way more ridiculous. Btw I'm a fan of summerfest, but since I don't live in Milwaukee I only go when I want to see someone. My days of wondering around from stage to stage are over.

Those were the only ones playing this year two years ago was DMB, OAR and Dispatch would that have made it better for you?
Maigh Eo for Sam

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2015, 11:16:44 AM »
Those were the only ones playing this year two years ago was DMB, OAR and Dispatch would that have made it better for you?

Nope. For "first rate" jam bands I would accept any of the following: The Dead, Phish, Umphreys, Panic, the Allman Bros (RIP), Moe, Cheese, Yonder, plus more.

I would like to see Trampled By Turtles though. They're making a name for themselves.
Bring back FFP!!!

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2015, 11:24:33 AM »

As a bagpiping boxer I would think your knowledge of music genres would be expansive. DMB, OAR, and Dispatch are not jambands. They are girly sellouts that got famous cause smoking weed was cool for 16 year olds in the 90's. However, I respect Dispatch for all the civic and social work they have done. Back in the day I was all about being dealt into a crazy game of poker, and I used to follow every ant that I saw marching. But DMB, Dispatch, and OAR are neither jambands or bands that can jam.  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:28:55 AM by BobWildLoyalist »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2015, 11:31:08 AM »
As a bagpiping boxer I would think your knowledge of music genres would be expansive. DMB, OAR, and Dispatch are not jambands. They are girly sellouts that got famous cause smoking weed was cool for 16 year olds in the 90's. However, I respect Dispatch for all the civic and social work they have done. Back in the day I was all about being dealt into a crazy game of poker, and I used to follow every ant that I saw marching. But DMB, Dispatch, and OAR and neither jambands or bands that can jam.  

After seeing them live and against my will... I have to say that DMB live was a pleasant surprise. Dave himself might not jam...but the guys behind him are great improv guys. The jazz musician in me gave thumbs up for them.

That said, I really don't consider any of them jam bands in the common use of the word. But maybe Shaka does. Who knows.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2015, 11:35:40 AM »
If Shaka wants the real talent and connect with young players, he's gotta get in the EDM scene. Plenty of High School talent there. Also Dave's band members are very talented. Carter on the drums is one of the best in the biz, IMO

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2015, 11:40:09 AM »

Keep in mind Shaka was quoted as saying he didn't enjoy his time in Madison and highlighted a series of racist incidents he was the victim of. Not sure I'd be high-tailing it home if that was my experience.

This.

UW is certainly a good gig, but I don't think it's the forgone conclusion that some Badger fans and media members make it out to be. Not everybody that grows up in WI dreams of being at UW... Diamond stone being the latest example.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #137 on: April 01, 2015, 11:42:16 AM »
This.

UW is certainly a good gig, but I don't think it's the forgone conclusion that some Badger fans and media members make it out to be. Not everybody that grows up in WI dreams of being at UW... Diamond stone being the latest example.

I know it's hard for Wisconsinites to understand, but some of us escape and have no interest in returning. Shocking, I know.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #138 on: April 01, 2015, 11:46:36 AM »
I've worked my entire life to only enjoy Wisconsin during the 'good' weather.  But I have this huge problem.  How am I going to convince chick to miss the MU basketball season?   :-\

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #139 on: April 01, 2015, 11:53:48 AM »
I've worked my entire life to only enjoy Wisconsin during the 'good' weather.  But I have this huge problem.  How am I going to convince chick to miss the MU basketball season?   :-\
Score that $3m job posting in Austin. Probably would go a long way.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #140 on: April 01, 2015, 11:54:22 AM »
I know it's hard for Wisconsinites to understand, but some of us escape and have no interest in returning. Shocking, I know.

Yes, that's a common WI thing. I think it happens in MN as well.

"He's one of us! He's always dreamed of being at (insert local company/team)!"

Again, I'm not saying Shaka won't come back (I have no idea), but the guy has lived all over the country. I don't think he's automatically trying to get back to WI.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #141 on: April 01, 2015, 11:59:10 AM »

Pros and cons to everywhere.  Sure CA has great weather and scenery, but do you really want to deal with the massive amount of self-centered pricks?  If you want to travel any distance over a mile do you really want to sit in your car for an extended period of time in jam packed traffic regardless of the time of day?  Do you want your house being separated from your neighbor's by the absolute minimum amount of space possible?  Do you want to overpay for everything?  Etc.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #142 on: April 01, 2015, 12:23:43 PM »

This is hardly a trait unique to Wisconsin. 

Some people like to live/return to where they grew up, others like to go elsewhere.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #143 on: April 01, 2015, 12:41:10 PM »
As a bagpiping boxer I would think your knowledge of music genres would be expansive. DMB, OAR, and Dispatch are not jambands. They are girly sellouts that got famous cause smoking weed was cool for 16 year olds in the 90's. However, I respect Dispatch for all the civic and social work they have done. Back in the day I was all about being dealt into a crazy game of poker, and I used to follow every ant that I saw marching. But DMB, Dispatch, and OAR are neither jambands or bands that can jam.  

What would you call them with your almighty knowledge of music? Just cause a band sold out doesn't mean they stopped being in a specific genre unless they actually changed their music.
Maigh Eo for Sam

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #144 on: April 01, 2015, 01:00:08 PM »
This is hardly a trait unique to Wisconsin. 

Some people like to live/return to where they grew up, others like to go elsewhere.

Any way you slice it, you cannot take the Wisconsin out of the Wisconsonite...or the accent..ai'na?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #145 on: April 01, 2015, 01:04:12 PM »

The Havoc and UW? What would we do without all of the veiled racial phrases from Badger fans? They'd no longer "play the right way" as they like to say.

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #146 on: April 01, 2015, 02:53:24 PM »
#donedeal?

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #147 on: April 01, 2015, 06:02:53 PM »
Pros and cons to everywhere.  Sure CA has great weather and scenery, but do you really want to deal with the massive amount of self-centered pricks?  If you want to travel any distance over a mile do you really want to sit in your car for an extended period of time in jam packed traffic regardless of the time of day?  Do you want your house being separated from your neighbor's by the absolute minimum amount of space possible?  Do you want to overpay for everything?  Etc.

I would take NORCAL over any Midwestern location all day long, but would never be able to live in Southern California.  Wisconsin has its fair share of self centered pricks, they are just significantly fatter than the CA variety.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #148 on: April 01, 2015, 06:12:17 PM »
I would take NORCAL over any Midwestern location all day long, but would never be able to live in Southern California.  Wisconsin has its fair share of self centered pricks, they are just significantly fatter than the CA variety.

There are pricks everywhere, no doubt about that.  But every time I'm out in SoCal I find that it's about 85% pricks, whereas in Milwaukee (and other Midwest cities) it's about 15% pricks.

Never been to NorCal but am heading there in a month and am excited for it.  Have heard great things.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #149 on: April 01, 2015, 06:15:33 PM »
I would take NORCAL over any Midwestern location all day long, but would never be able to live in Southern California.  Wisconsin has its fair share of self centered pricks, they are just significantly fatter than the CA variety.

Meh, I'd say depends where you are. I didn't get that feeling when I was in Santa Monica or Venice 2 years ago. Never ventured into the city but those places seemed pretty reasonable.

Edit: muscle beach is as much self centered as it can get, but that was only one small group.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 06:17:24 PM by ChitownJuan »

feedback