'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka  (Read 98718 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Shaka
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2015, 03:11:05 PM »
This is exactly the opposite way that I've found to have fun at Summerfest.  Summerfest is a great place to drink beer, people watch and listen to music.  If you really want to see someone it is nightmare bc of the picnic table scene.  Not caring who is playing makes Summerfest a blast, not the other way around in my opinion.

That's a good point on the picnic table scene, but I find it impossible to people watch because it's so packed with people that all you see are the 6 people an inch in front of you any way you turn.

Well then there's that. Except you forgot walking around half naked.

Good call.  Unfortunately it's all males and non-Texas females that are doing that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2015, 03:11:16 PM »
Why does the replies to a topic get so off base so many times.  Please stick to the topic!!!!!

Agreed.  Now back to the topic: barbeque
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2015, 03:11:39 PM »
You mean what's left of the Bodeans.

I think you mean Da Bodeans
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2015, 03:15:12 PM »
Amen.  The Austin airport has an outpost that is decent.  You're having good BBQ, but not great BBQ.  
Drive down to Driftwood and you'll be saying "Amen" as well.

And while you're down there go over to Jester King brewery.  Bring the family.  I was amazed at how sprawling this place was and the number of people there.  This is just a part of the property.  It's huge.  

If they wanted Shaka, they'd make a Shaka Saison.

Jester King makes some very unique beers.  You have to have a very adventurous beer pallet.  I do like the Wytchmaker.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2015, 04:35:58 PM »
Given that your avatar is a reference to a 1991 SNL skit, I'm curious as to which band/s you'd like to see that hasn't been there recently?  They have gotten some very selective talent as of late.

Granted they don't get everyone, but I think if you were to look at last summer's lineup they would certainly classify as "first rate."

Well, I graduated in 2008, so there's your generation reference.

Anyways, I did say the last 1-2 years has been much improved over the past 10 years, which we very bad overall.

Summerfest is fun, and I still go every year, but it doesn't touch SXSW, Coach, Bonaroo or Lollapalooza (except for this year because Lolla BLOWS this year)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2015, 04:45:47 PM »

Anyways, I did say the last 1-2 years has been much improved over the past 10 years, which we very bad overall.

Summerfest is fun, and I still go every year, but it doesn't touch SXSW, Coach, Bonaroo or Lollapalooza (except for this year because Lolla BLOWS this year)

I wonder if Summerfest were shorter, if it would be better.  Most other music festivals are 3 or 4 days long.  Summerfest is twice that.

That being said, Summerfest knows its audience. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2015, 04:50:49 PM »

I think one of the things you need to appreciate is that Summerfest has always been charged with the mission of entertaining a very broad audience.  Two years ago the largest grounds crowd was at Imagine Dragons.  Last year I believe it was REO Speedwagon.  It's always a delicate balance.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2015, 04:51:52 PM »
Why does the replies to a topic get so off base so many times.  Please stick to the topic!!!!!

You may as well try to herd cats.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2015, 04:56:39 PM »
I think one of the things you need to appreciate is that Summerfest has always been charged with the mission of entertaining a very broad audience.  Two years ago the largest grounds crowd was at Imagine Dragons.  Last year I believe it was REO Speedwagon.  It's always a delicate balance.

Imagine Dragons, yuck, but big steal for the ground stages last year.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2015, 05:27:54 PM »

I've always had loads more fun at Summerfest than Lolla.  Lolla is wayyy overhyped, over crowded, overpriced, overpriced food and beer inside, and too much security to really get away with anything that I may have been trying to get away with in my college days.  Summerfest has a very relaxed feel.  Bonaroo I'll give you, never been to SXSW looks very intriguing but like it'd be a similar absurd price of Lolla
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2015, 05:31:34 PM »
I come here to read something about shaka. End up reading about Summerfest. I love this place.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2015, 05:36:05 PM »
Imagine Dragons, yuck, but big steal for the ground stages last year.

Your comment is reflective of many through the years.  It's not about whether Summerfest brings in YOUR favorite bands.  It's about their ability to entertain a very broad audience.  And they've done that very successfully, at a very reasonable price tag, since the 1960s.  That's one hell of a legacy.  

They also have a stellar reputation within the musical artist community.  That fact was almost certainly a factor in today's announcement.  It was an acknowledged factor when Dave Grohl brought Foo Fighters in during a summer when they played fewer than 5 North American shows.  Bob Babisch is widely recognized as one of the best in the business.  He's a true Milwaukee treasure who has been very helpful to Marquette through the years.  Trust me.  This is one subject where I know what I'm talking about. (Unlike basketball!)  Thanks and enjoy.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2015, 05:36:54 PM »
I've always had loads more fun at Summerfest than Lolla.  Lolla is wayyy overhyped, over crowded, overpriced, overpriced food and beer inside, and too much security to really get away with anything that I may have been trying to get away with in my college days.  Summerfest has a very relaxed feel.  Bonaroo I'll give you, never been to SXSW looks very intriguing but like it'd be a similar absurd price of Lolla
Hear Hear - Who wants to crowd into a downtown that is already expensive, in order to hear acts play abbreviated sets in an uncomfortable setting when those same acts are already touring through Chicago regularly?

I'd go to a weak Summerfest before a strong Lolla any year.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2015, 05:38:20 PM »
I come here to read something about shaka. End up reading about Summerfest. I love this place.

I think Shaka might have taken the job had he attended Fest in a prior year.   ;D

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2015, 05:47:49 PM »
I've always had loads more fun at Summerfest than Lolla.  Lolla is wayyy overhyped, over crowded, overpriced, overpriced food and beer inside, and too much security to really get away with anything that I may have been trying to get away with in my college days.  Summerfest has a very relaxed feel.  Bonaroo I'll give you, never been to SXSW looks very intriguing but like it'd be a similar absurd price of Lolla

SXSW isn't your typical festival.  Its hundreds of bands playing throughout Austin in hundreds of different venues.  Most shows are free, a lot of the big ones you need special access through a sponsor, industry connection, etc.  ACL and Lollapalooza are closer to the same thing, except ACL is over two weekends.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2015, 09:49:41 PM »
These Lolla over Summerfest comments are hilarious tho.

Your comment is reflective of many through the years.  It's not about whether Summerfest brings in YOUR favorite bands.

Didn't I say big steal for the ground stages? I agreed with you...

TX_AZ_Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2015, 10:08:31 PM »
By the way, the best BBQ is located in the small towns.  Ones that are not part of any chain.  You can find these BBQ places in so many places.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2015, 10:19:20 PM »
I'm about to sound old now ...

When I was in college and stuck around for the summer a couple of times, Summerfest cost $3 ... and that INCLUDED all the music, even the main stage. Beers were 50 cents.

Of course, my summer job paid $4.25 an hour back then, but that's besides the point!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2015, 10:28:29 PM »
First rate to you may not necessarily be first rate to younger generations.  I can name plenty of first rate acts in their respective genres. 

First rate in Rap: Kendrick Lamar, schoolboy Q, Public enemy, lupe fiasco

First rate country: F.G.L. Keith urban, Zac Brown... (theres tons there this year not going through them all)

First rate rock: Stones, Kings of Leon, Linkin Park, Kongos, Jane's Addiction, Sublime, Isley brothers,

Then theres first rate soul like aloe blacc, first rate irish like gaelic storm and flogging molly, first rate jam bands like phillip phillips, trampled by turtles. 

Speaking of Irish    You forgot " Drop Kick Murphys"   they  play San Diego frequently

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2015, 12:26:06 AM »
Speaking of Irish    You forgot " Drop Kick Murphys"   they  play San Diego frequently

Dropkick is one word, and after they went from a punk rock band that was socially conscious that I remember piping with on the stage over 10 years ago where you knew everyone at the venue. Into a big pop band that last time I saw them they tried to make a socially conscious statement and the crowd booed them, I decided to just ignore that they exist.  Not to mention they've just taken what The Pogues were doing in the 80s and are claiming to be the first. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2015, 01:47:26 AM »
First rate to you may not necessarily be first rate to younger generations.  I can name plenty of first rate acts in their respective genres. 

First rate in Rap: Kendrick Lamar, schoolboy Q, Public enemy, lupe fiasco

First rate country: F.G.L. Keith urban, Zac Brown... (theres tons there this year not going through them all)

First rate rock: Stones, Kings of Leon, Linkin Park, Kongos, Jane's Addiction, Sublime, Isley brothers,

Then theres first rate soul like aloe blacc, first rate irish like gaelic storm and flogging molly, first rate jam bands like phillip phillips, trampled by turtles. 

Lmao at your first rate rap list.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2015, 03:47:51 AM »

Lupe and Public Enemy are great.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2015, 06:42:13 AM »

That's cause the best ones are dead.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 01, 2015, 06:56:38 AM »
I'm about to sound old now ...

When I was in college and stuck around for the summer a couple of times, Summerfest cost $3 ... and that INCLUDED all the music, even the main stage. Beers were 50 cents.

Of course, my summer job paid $4.25 an hour back then, but that's besides the point!

Your first statement is correct.   ;D

I will add that Summerfest made a decision probably 15-20 years ago to jack up beer prices.  Profit might have been part of the motivation but so was the effort to somewhat control over consumption.  Extreme cup stacking used to be a sport.  Also, there's no comparison between 1980 and today in terms of the physical grounds.  It's simply the finest.  If you haven't been back since your college days 20-30 years ago, I'd encourage a summer trip that last week of June.  You won't regret it.

Now has Shaka taken the job yet?  Austin airport sighting?  Do we really give a rip?

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #124 on: April 01, 2015, 08:27:07 AM »
Now has Shaka taken the job yet?  Austin airport sighting?  Do we really give a rip?

We care a little bit.  When Bo hangs it up, UW would be a likely destination unless he's locked up at a different high profile job.