'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Next March...  (Read 19695 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: Next March...
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 10:05:11 PM »
Ellenson is no D Wade

Probably not. But he could be a Wesley Matthews or Lazar Hayward caliber player, and I think that'd be enough.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 10:06:46 PM »
Ellenson is no D Wade

I believe his impact will be.  Their games are completely different of course, but again, there's a reason he has the NBA's attention, and why he's playing with the best of the best in anything you can be selected for at his age, including USA Basketball.  He's a special player, like Wade was at MU.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:10:55 PM by HutchwasClutch »

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2015, 10:07:26 PM »
I'm optimistic MU can add another immediate transfer wing. Then they could have a legit chance.

Is Henry Ellenson considered a 1 & done?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2015, 10:08:29 PM »
Probably not. But he could be a Wesley Matthews or Lazar Hayward caliber player, and I think that'd be enough.

OMG, I think my head's going to explode. No disrespect to Wes or 'Zar, but come on.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2015, 10:20:28 PM »
OMG, I think my head's going to explode. No disrespect to Wes or 'Zar, but come on.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but you think Ellenson next year is going to be better than Wesley and Lazar turned out to be? I meant what they turned into, not what they were as freshmen.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2015, 10:36:23 PM »
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but you think Ellenson next year is going to be better than Wesley and Lazar turned out to be? I meant what they turned into, not what they were as freshmen.

His upside is without a doubt greater than where Wes and 'Zar were when they finished their MU careers.  

'Zar put up 18ppg and 7.5 rbg as a senior.  That's about what I envision for Henry next year, an 18 and 8 guy, throw in 4-5 assists per game.  I definitely think he can match their production right away next year.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:37:57 PM by HutchwasClutch »

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2015, 10:40:59 PM »

A lot of people think so. He's currently going #6 in the DraftExpress 2016 Mock Draft. I don't think people around here really understand how good Ellenson is. Sure he could disappoint, but I dunno why people assume that will be the case. Just because he's a freshman? It's not 1970 anymore, freshman have huge impacts on the game nowadays.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:42:44 PM by kryza »

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2015, 11:04:33 PM »
My first instinct is a flat out 'no'.    However, two of this year's final four teams are getting huge contributions from freshmen.   If, for example, Henry lives up to the hype, Haanif is the real deal and Carter is ready to lead from day 1...... still probably not, but MU's chances certainly improve.
Um, if all those guys pan out early on and Henry lives up to his hype, MU can make a serious run in the tournament assuming Wilson and Fischer progress as expected.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2015, 11:35:42 PM »
His upside is without a doubt greater than where Wes and 'Zar were when they finished their MU careers.  

'Zar put up 18ppg and 7.5 rbg as a senior.  That's about what I envision for Henry next year, an 18 and 8 guy, throw in 4-5 assists per game.  I definitely think he can match their production right away next year.

With the insane amount of talented freshman this year, name 1 freshman besides D'Angelo Russell who is even close to 18, 8, and 4.

Heck, how many players, freshman or not, in the country are there with those numbers?

Prepare to be let down.  And this is coming from a guy who thinks King Henry will be a stud from day one.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2015, 11:38:14 PM »

I'm on the conservative side for sure but you really expect 18 ppg, 8 rpg, and 4.5 apg from a freshman? Not even Jahil Okafor put up those kinds of numbers and he's a Wooden Award finalist.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 12:37:55 AM »
I'd make a board life bet with Hutch that Marquette doesn't make the NCAAT with the roster as it currently sits.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 06:04:10 AM »
I'd make a board life bet with Hutch that Marquette doesn't make the NCAAT with the roster as it currently sits.

I'd make the same bet that we'll never find out.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 07:18:09 AM »
Pull out the cliches.  Play to win one game at  time.  You only have five players on the court. Recruit the best and coach them to win.  We can do it!

FIFY
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 11:03:20 AM »
A lot of people think so. He's currently going #6 in the DraftExpress 2016 Mock Draft. I don't think people around here really understand how good Ellenson is. Sure he could disappoint, but I dunno why people assume that will be the case. Just because he's a freshman? It's not 1970 anymore, freshman have huge impacts on the game nowadays.

#6? Yikes, here I am just hoping he isn't a one-and-done

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2015, 11:12:11 AM »
We still have 3 slots to fill.  Too early to tell.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2015, 11:32:28 AM »
I'm on the conservative side for sure but you really expect 18 ppg, 8 rpg, and 4.5 apg from a freshman? Not even Jahil Okafor put up those kinds of numbers and he's a Wooden Award finalist.

One could argue that Okafor has to share the stats sheet with a half-dozen McDonald's All-Americans while Henry will be MU's undisputed first (and second) option.

But even then ... as another poster said, the Ohio State kid was the only freshman to come close to those stats and he pretty much shot every time the ball touched his hands.

I haven't seen Henry play even one second of basketball, so I will defer to those who have seen him a lot ... and I hope they are right. If so, and if a couple of the other freshmen also do well, and if Wojo brings in another contributor or two, and if ...
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwar2003

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2015, 12:21:55 PM »
I am hoping for a NIT bid .  If we can win some close ones, maybe the big dance.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2015, 01:01:02 PM »
One could argue that Okafor has to share the stats sheet with a half-dozen McDonald's All-Americans while Henry will be MU's undisputed first (and second) option.

But even then ... as another poster said, the Ohio State kid was the only freshman to come close to those stats and he pretty much shot every time the ball touched his hands.

I haven't seen Henry play even one second of basketball, so I will defer to those who have seen him a lot ... and I hope they are right. If so, and if a couple of the other freshmen also do well, and if Wojo brings in another contributor or two, and if ...

One could also argue that Henry will get repeated double teams and be the focus of every team's defense because there aren't other All Americans on the floor.

Its a crapshoot!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2015, 01:42:50 PM »

You don't say?  Interesting, I see Okafor's at 17.5 ppg, and 8.7 rbg for the season.  You're right, way out in left field with my prediction. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2015, 01:47:28 PM »
You don't say?  Interesting, I see Okafor's at 17.5 ppg, and 8.7 rbg for the season.  You're right, way out in left field with my prediction. 

Yeah, it is.  The kid was considered to already be better than Jabari when playing up on Jabari's AAU team.  There is nowhere near the kind of hype (or production on the USA Team level) around Hank as there is around Jahlil.  Hank is not Jahlil.  Epecting 18, 8, and 4.5 from a freshman is absurd.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2015, 01:50:17 PM »

Not buying that Henry will be first and second option next year. Of course he will be an option but it is likely that Fischer will be one of those options, and so will Duane. While we all hope that Henry will do well, he will be a freshman, and everybody knows that many freshmen require some getting used to at the next level. Playing at Rice Lake and playing at the Beast level are two different animals.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2015, 02:03:41 PM »

So you expect Henry to do .5 more ppg than a recruit who is much much much more heralded than him? If Henry can put up 13ppg with good efficiency with Duane and Luke putting up mid teens I'll be happy. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2015, 02:12:26 PM »
Yeah, Wade and Boxer - if he's not as heralded (Boxer) and not as much hype (WadesWorld) surrounding Henry, I guess you two must be right. Being heralded and hyped more than Henry ends the argument and proves Henry is clearly inferior to Okafor, and incapable of coming close to his freshman stats at Duke.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 02:15:11 PM by HutchwasClutch »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2015, 02:13:52 PM »
Yeah, it is.  The kid was considered to already be better than Jabari when playing up on Jabari's AAU team.  There is nowhere near the kind of hype (or production on the USA Team level) around Hank as there is around Jahlil.  Hank is not Jahlil.  Epecting 18, 8, and 4.5 from a freshman is absurd.

You're right, expecting those numbers from a freshman is absurd.  Special talents like Henry are leaps and bounds ahead of your typical freshman, and we all know it. 

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2015, 02:19:30 PM »
All I know is that if we only get one year from Henry, we sure as hell better make the tournament next year.

feedback