[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by PJDunn
[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next March...  (Read 19750 times)

WarriorPride68

• All American
Next March...
« on: March 30, 2015, 10:08:38 AM »
Will the warriors be dancing again?

The last time Marquette missed the NCAA tourney atleast 3 consecutive years was 1998-2001.

tower912

• All American
Re: Next March...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »
My first instinct is a flat out 'no'.    However, two of this year's final four teams are getting huge contributions from freshmen.   If, for example, Henry lives up to the hype, Haanif is the real deal and Carter is ready to lead from day 1...... still probably not, but MU's chances certainly improve.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 10:12:05 AM »
I fully expect us to be back next year.  Assuming Luke recovers without issue and Henry lives up to hype I'd say Duane, Luke and Henry have what it takes to lead us back.  Not a high seed or past the first round but back to the dance none the less.  I think we will also benefit from a weaker big east next year. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 10:14:55 AM »
I fully expect us to be back next year.  Assuming Luke recovers without issue and Henry lives up to hype I'd say Duane, Luke and Henry have what it takes to lead us back.  Not a high seed or past the first round but back to the dance none the less.  I think we will also benefit from a weaker big east next year. 

If there is a weaker Big East it would be logical to assume they get less than six bids, possibly only 3 or 4.  If that's the case then a 9-9 or 10-8 finish by Marquette probably doesn't get them in the tournament.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 10:17:41 AM »
If there is a weaker Big East it would be logical to assume they get less than six bids, possibly only 3 or 4.  If that's the case then a 9-9 or 10-8 finish by Marquette probably doesn't get them in the tournament.

I agree it's logical to assume we get less bids but I think 4 bids and we'll get no4. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 10:21:29 AM »
I agree it's logical to assume we get less bids but I think 4 bids and we'll get no4. 

Then you either beileve that Marquette will go at least 12-6 in conference with a good OOC resume (with a ton of inexperience) or that they'll win the Big East tournament.

I personally think it will have to be the latter, as I don't think there's enough pure talent to overcome the inconsistencies of such a young team.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 10:22:15 AM »
As things stand, no. But, I'll have a better idea once we know what the roster will look like.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 10:23:53 AM »
I am hopeful that we finish above .500 in BEast play. No tournament bid.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 10:24:15 AM »
Then you either beileve that Marquette will go at least 12-6 in conference with a good OOC resume (with a ton of inexperience) or that they'll win the Big East tournament.

I personally think it will have to be the latter, as I don't think there's enough pure talent to overcome the inconsistencies of such a young team.

If they have a good OOC resume, 12-6 won't be necessary. 10-8 might get it done.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 10:25:30 AM »

The strength of the Big East will be more judged on how we do in the non conference again next year. If we have a great non con than 9-9 or 10 and 8 will get Big East teams in.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »
Xavier had a pedestrian OOC resume, finished 9-9 in Big East feasting on the dregs, and still landed a 6 seed and rode that to wins over a tired Ole Miss team and a 14 seed for the conference's deepest run this March.

Literally, any damn thing can happen and we don't need to be world beaters to achieve a berth.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 10:29:48 AM »
Need one or two new players to make some type of difference.  Or Ellenson will have to carry them on his back.  I do not see it yet, to young.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 10:30:30 AM »

The way I see it we may have a young team, but these are all very talented players who signed up thinking they were coming to a powerhouse expecting to play in the tournament most their college career.  This is the first year they have complete control over that and I don't expect them to fail when they're that hungry.  
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 10:40:20 AM »
Xavier had a pedestrian OOC resume, finished 9-9 in Big East feasting on the dregs, and still landed a 6 seed and rode that to wins over a tired Ole Miss team and a 14 seed for the conference's deepest run this March.

Literally, any damn thing can happen and we don't need to be world beaters to achieve a berth.

Yep. Just go look at the resumes for Ole Miss, UCLA, Boise State. Hell, Purdue lost to North Florida and Gardner Webb at home and earned a 9 seed. If we can go 9-3 non con 10-8 BE we'll probably be in.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 10:54:10 AM »
Need one or two new players to make some type of difference.  Or Ellenson will have to carry them on his back.  I do not see it yet, to young.

Yes, the difference would be a big ass PF so they don'y get demolished on offensive boards again. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »

No. Way too many freshmen.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 12:56:09 PM »
Current roster, probably 50/50. But I don't expect the current roster to be our final roster.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 08:51:47 PM »
I think we go undefeated next year, and beat ND 87-5 in the NC.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 08:58:20 PM »
You bet we'll be dancing again.  Henry is to special of a talent to not get back.  And then you throw in hopefully improved guys like Fishcer, Wilson, Cohen, along with some of the other talented frosh playing supporting roles, it's going to be a fun season.

The last time we had a special talent making his debut at MU was of course D Wade in '02, and we were a 5 seed that year.  Diener was just a frosh to that year. 

I look for a similar result to '02, about a 5-7 seed.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 09:00:10 PM »
With the conference being weaker next year and the improvement of Duane/Luke and the addition of a high-level frosh and not to mention a full roster, I fully anticipate and expect us to compete for a spot in the NCAA tournament.

I think an improved/older Duane/Luke/JJJ is a very solid core. I believe that Henry will be a pleasant surprise as a freshman and the fact that we will have more depth to work with will give us a very competitive team.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 09:04:19 PM »
With the conference being weaker next year and the improvement of Duane/Luke and the addition of a high-level frosh and not to mention a full roster, I fully anticipate and expect us to compete for a spot in the NCAA tournament.

I think an improved/older Duane/Luke/JJJ is a very solid core. I believe that Henry will be a pleasant surprise as a freshman and the fact that we will have more depth to work with will give us a very competitive team.

Really, that's how you project him?  A 6'10" guy who had his pick of any program in the country and is solidly on the NBA radar already, you see him as a "pleasant surprise"?  OK.

The underselling of how good Ellenson is continues on this board.  It's OK everyone, the Kentucky's and Duke's of the world don't have a monopoly on impact freshman who are great right out of the gate in college.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 09:09:19 PM »
Play to win one game at  time.  You only have five players on the court. Recruit the best and coach them to win.  We can do it!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 09:13:11 PM »
Not quite yet.  Show me the last three spots. 

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 09:16:11 PM »
I think we are an impact rebounder away from competing for an NCAA bid.  Without one, I think the NIT will be the ceiling.

brandx

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 09:27:28 PM »
You bet we'll be dancing again.  Henry is to special of a talent to not get back.  And then you throw in hopefully improved guys like Fishcer, Wilson, Cohen, along with some of the other talented frosh playing supporting roles, it's going to be a fun season.

The last time we had a special talent making his debut at MU was of course D Wade in '02, and we were a 5 seed that year.  Diener was just a frosh to that year. 

I look for a similar result to '02, about a 5-7 seed.

Ellenson is no D Wade

feedback