[April 15, 2024, 10:20:46 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Diamond Stone and the Bucky nation  (Read 27564 times)

tompopsicle

• Scholarship Player
Re: Diamond Stone and the Bucky nation
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 12:32:34 PM »
I thought the real reason was that Bo cooled on him.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 01:08:12 PM »
Smacks of F*ckin' messin' with Bo.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2015, 01:13:04 PM »
The NCAA has rules that prohibit a coach from talking about recruits.  You cannot get around that by having your daughter in the room to blog and tweet about it.

If Bo wants future recruits to know that his family will tweet and blog disparaging information should they say no to him, and his daughter celebrating that "white" Bucky won, then good luck on the recruiting trail Bo.  

You cannot live on marginal three star kids that sit on the bench their entire freshman year that blow up into national POY candidates their senior year.  That is not a strategy, that is blind luck.  To stay good you have to recruit 4 and 5 star types and some of them are "inner city kids."

Bo has to be worried that Diamond is just the next in a long line of inner city kids that make Bucky their second choice.  His daughter is not helping his cause.  I'll ask again, has anyone from Bo's family (or even Bo) slammed a white recruit in this manner that turned Bo down?

Wait, are you leveling charges of racism at Bo Ryan based your leaps of logic that was in turn based on an ANONYMOUS article claiming certain facts that have no evidence that they are in fact, ya know, facts?  An article that contradicts every piece of information national and local reports have reported on?

Even for you this is a level of insanity that seems, well, insane.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2015, 01:40:04 PM »
Wait, are you leveling charges of racism at Bo Ryan based your leaps of logic that was in turn based on an ANONYMOUS article claiming certain facts that have no evidence that they are in fact, ya know, facts?  An article that contradicts every piece of information national and local reports have reported on?

Even for you this is a level of insanity that seems, well, insane.

Nice try, other than spelling all the words correct, nothing you wrote above is true.

From the top ....

Friday night, one hour after Stone commits to Maryland, Bo' daughter Brenna tweets

Brenna Ryan ‏@BrenkRyan  Stay posted. There's always more the story.
https://twitter.com/BrenkRyan/status/581629288056782848

The next morning (Saturday) at 9:16 she tweets

The real reason Diamond Stone is not a Wisconsin Badger #TakeALap - http://thevictorylapblog.com/2015/03/the-real-reason-diamond-stone-is-not-a-wisconsin-badger/
https://twitter.com/TheVictoryLap_/status/581822223712792577

This was just a few minutes after the blog was posted (as I noted on the previous page) it in it says:

I know this because Coach’s daughter Brenna answered the phone and was right there when it happened, and she’s a close friend of mine.

Brenna Ryan is not being misquoted.  She said the night before it was coming and retweeted this link the moment it was available.  Restated, Brenna Ryan (again Bo's daughter) wants everyone to know she was in the room, meaning she has first hand knowledge that Diamond was not accepted to Bucky.  Again, Bo's daughter is claiming she literally answered the phone when Diamond's dad called for Bo and is making all these private, and protected by NCAA rules, conservations public.

Do I believe he was not accepted to Bucky?  No, I think he was.  Instead this is a terrible slam (read outright lie) by a family member of Bo Ryan on a high schooler for the "crime" of choosing Maryland.  Like I said above, I also believe this is a violation of NCAA rules.

If one of my kids interfered in my job in this manner, livid would be an understatement.  I might have to disown them.

Should all future recruits expect Bo's family members to air their private conservations in this manner should they choose another school?  Bucky basketball recruiting could be an episode of the Sopranos.  OMERTA!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2015, 03:53:22 PM »
Diamond got into UW.  Many people close to Diamond were surprised it wasn't UW.  Kid changed his mind.  It happens.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2015, 04:17:46 PM »
Diamond got into UW.  Many people close to Diamond were surprised it wasn't UW.  Kid changed his mind.  It happens.

Yeah, I was really surprised. Losing Stone, Dekker, Gasser and Kominsky will be tough. Bucky will still be solid, but 3 of those 4 players are NBA guys, hard to overcome.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2015, 04:24:22 PM »
Yeah, I was really surprised. Losing Stone, Dekker, Gasser and Kominsky will be tough. Bucky will still be solid, but 3 of those 4 players are NBA guys, hard to overcome.

Define "solid" and look at the rest of the B1G. They are a .500 B1G team next year and a bubble team.  Maybe worse.

Definitely worse and of the tourney if Hayes leaves for the next level.

I would not be surprised if Saturday was Bucky's last tourney win for the next few years.

Can make a credible case MU is better than Bucky next year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2015, 04:25:40 PM »
Define "solid" and look at the rest of the B1G. They are a .500 B1G team next year and a bubble team.  Maybe worse.

I would not be surprised if Saturday was Bucky's last tourney win for the next few years.

We hear this about Bo every year other than this year.

R-E-L-A-X
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2015, 04:29:28 PM »

R-E-L-A-X

And some of those years in the last 14 they were a bubble team that barely got in..

chapman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2015, 04:34:22 PM »

R-E-L-A-X

+1.  As long as Bo is there, they'll be just fine until proven otherwise.

And some of those years in the last 14 they were a bubble team that barely got in..

Their seeds in the Bo era: 8, 5, 6, 6, 9, 2, 3, 12, 4, 4, 4, 5, 2, 1. 

I see one year where they were among the last teams in. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2015, 04:34:53 PM »
The NCAA has rules that prohibit a coach from talking about recruits.  You cannot get around that by having your daughter in the room to blog and tweet about it.

If Bo wants future recruits to know that his family will tweet and blog disparaging information should they say no to him, and his daughter celebrating that "white" Bucky won, then good luck on the recruiting trail Bo.  

You cannot live on marginal three star kids that sit on the bench their entire freshman year that blow up into national POY candidates their senior year.  That is not a strategy, that is blind luck.  To stay good you have to recruit 4 and 5 star types and some of them are "inner city kids."

Bo has to be worried that Diamond is just the next in a long line of inner city kids that make Bucky their second choice.  His daughter is not helping his cause.  I'll ask again, has anyone from Bo's family (or even Bo) slammed a white recruit in this manner that turned Bo down?

Have a little humility, dude.  Do you really think that Bo Ryan needs advice from you on how to build a basketball program?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2015, 04:35:18 PM »

I say we just worry about Marquette and our run in the tourney next year. Honestly, outside of the one game we play and the incessant obnoxious demeanor of their fans, I care very little about UW-Madison. The best way to quiet them is to create a dominant winning team for the next 10 years.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

brandx

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2015, 05:01:38 PM »
I agree completely. While there are the occasional exceptions, I do feel the attacks from our camp on committing recruits are fewer and further between. Maybe because we have a smaller fanbase. But this past year, I don't remember any Marquette people bashing Jimmy Whitt or Akoy Agau when they went elsewhere. The last one I remember was someone going off on Kendrick Nunn, but it was definitely fairly isolated.

What amazed me was there seemed to be as many if not more attacks on Stone than there were congratulations. And the coach's own daughter joining in? Actually...that didn't amaze me. As soon as I saw Maryland announced, I expected it. Just like we saw with Looney and Tokoto.

Just a "bit" of difference between Stone and Whitt/Agau. Let's see if we can remain civil when losing a top 10 player  - especially if he is from Wisconsin.

brandx

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2015, 05:07:19 PM »
To be clear what I'm arguing.  I think this is a devastating and completely unwarranted attack on Diamond and Bo should be embarrassed, make Brenna take it all down, and both of them should personally apologize to him.

So far Bo and Brenna are not.

Side note - Brenna seems like a spoiled entitled teenager.

You have attacked and insinuated things about Stone repeatedly, but yet, this is a "devastating and completely unwarranted attack".

It is very kind of you to offer advice to Bo and if you would like to assume the role of Twitter Chief of Police, it is all yours.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2015, 05:17:27 PM »
Just a "bit" of difference between Stone and Whitt/Agau. Let's see if we can remain civil when losing a top 10 player  - especially if he is from Wisconsin.

I've really been trying to think of the big recruiting battles we lost. Maybe a nut or few after Kendrick Nunn. Wasn't much outrage at Joel Embiid, that was a big one that we were in great position for...hell, we even had Paint Touches encouraging him NOT to go here before he committed. Did anyone go after Hill when he decommitted and went to Va Tech? How about when Branden Dawson picked MSU over us?

I'm not saying our fanbase is perfect. We aren't. This site, others like it, Twitter, we have plenty of nuts out there as well. But as far as attacking kids that go elsewhere, I don't think we've done much of that.

Did anyone go after McKay or Burton when they left? Those seem like possibilities, but I felt most people were more in the c'est la vie mode.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2015, 05:23:02 PM »
I've really been trying to think of the big recruiting battles we lost. Maybe a nut or few after Kendrick Nunn. Wasn't much outrage at Joel Embiid, that was a big one that we were in great position for...hell, we even had Paint Touches encouraging him NOT to go here before he committed. Did anyone go after Hill when he decommitted and went to Va Tech? How about when Branden Dawson picked MSU over us?

I'm not saying our fanbase is perfect. We aren't. This site, others like it, Twitter, we have plenty of nuts out there as well. But as far as attacking kids that go elsewhere, I don't think we've done much of that.

Did anyone go after McKay or Burton when they left? Those seem like possibilities, but I felt most people were more in the c'est la vie mode.

Yeah, I don't remember fans here or on the old boards making personal remarks about Brian Butch, Bobby Frasor or Iman Shumpert when they chose to go elsewhere. We've generally expressed disappointment and moved on.

The same can't be said for transfers, though. Plenty of nasty things were said about McKay and Mbakwe, for sure, and i don't recall a lot of well wishes for Dameon Mason or ODB.

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2015, 05:50:17 PM »
McKay was definitely attacked by some Marquette fans on twitter after he transferred. I didn't notice the same types of responses after Burton transferred, but I think our fan base was more depressed than angry by that point.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2015, 05:54:47 PM »
Have a little humility, dude.  Do you really think that Bo Ryan needs advice from you on how to build a basketball program?

No on the program. .. Maybe on controlling his daughter

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2015, 06:46:16 PM »

You've reached a very high level of concern on this issue. Several posts in several threads all saying the same things.

Since you are so concerned, I recommend you contact the UW athletic department, and let them know your opinion.

Nobody around here appears to care nearly as much as you do.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2015, 08:17:25 PM »

His daughter is an adult. If you think the appropriate action is to "control" her, then maybe you need the parenting advice.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2015, 08:21:16 PM »
You've reached a very high level of concern on this issue. Several posts in several threads all saying the same things.

Since you are so concerned, I recommend you contact the UW athletic department, and let them know your opinion.

Nobody around here appears to care nearly as much as you do.

Ners had Derrick, Another 84 has Brenna.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2015, 09:38:32 PM »

I do remember there being a poster or two on here tearing into Hill after he decomitted. But yeah, nothing quite on this level.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2015, 09:58:26 PM »
His daughter is an adult. If you think the appropriate action is to "control" her, then maybe you need the parenting advice.

I agree that Heisenberg seems obsessed with this, but I don't disagree with his general thesis:

The daughter is a spoiled little $hit who perhaps broke NCAA rules and almost surely crossed ethical lines.

Her father should care because it reflects poorly on him -- in addition to just being a crappy thing to do. I have a grown daughter and would not tolerate such behavior from her. But she isn't a spoiled little $hit so it never would have been an issue.

Now ... time to move on.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
I agree that Heisenberg seems obsessed with this, but I don't disagree with his general thesis:

The daughter is a spoiled little $hit who perhaps broke NCAA rules and almost surely crossed ethical lines.

Her father should care because it reflects poorly on him -- in addition to just being a crappy thing to do. I have a grown daughter and would not tolerate such behavior from her. But she isn't a spoiled little $hit so it never would have been an issue.

Now ... time to move on.

I'm not saying Bo shouldn't care what his daughter says in public. He most certainly should discuss this with her and get on the same page. I take issue with Heisenberg's use of the word control when talking about Bo's relationship with his adult daughter. It may have just been poor word choice but it comes across as domineering and at least a little misogynistic.

Also, how exactly could Bo Ryan's daughter break NCAA rules when she is not an athlete or employed by UW? 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2015, 10:39:15 PM »

Koenig Happ and Hayes. They will make the tourney, they will be above .500, and you are reaching on both UW and MU.

feedback