'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by mugrad_89
[Today at 04:13:05 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 04:10:59 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 04:09:09 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Zog from Margo
[Today at 03:48:28 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Diamond Stone and the Bucky nation  (Read 27583 times)

tower912

• All American
Diamond Stone and the Bucky nation
« on: March 30, 2015, 07:43:46 AM »
In the end, a talented 18 year old decided to play basketball for Maryland and not his home state university.
But what this reveals about the badger faithful is revealing.   We all know the rants, the code words, the racism, the insecurities, the irrationality.   It is fun to engage in schadenfreude and take amusement in their tortured anguish.    And yes it is fans being fans, a small percentage of their supporters, and all fanbases act like that.  
 So let's not.  Use your MU education, use what the Jesuits taught you to resolve to be the anti-badger fanbase.    Use your logic and not your just your gut.    Don't fall into the trap of lowest common denominator message board clichés.   Don't attack 18-22 year old kids.   An 18 year old choosing another school is not a personal reflection on you.    Neither is a kid making or missing a jump shot.    Raise the level of your own discourse.   Don't act like a badger fan.   Act like an adult who knows better.   Use the rodents as a cautionary tale, not role models.   When they act like this, you have the moral high ground to mock the living crap out of them.    Finally, somewhere in Wisconsin, there is a kid with great basketball skills who pays attention to message boards and is resolving to never go to Madison because of those jack-holes.    
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 08:55:16 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Diamond Stone and the Bucky nation
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 07:50:55 AM »
I agree completely. While there are the occasional exceptions, I do feel the attacks from our camp on committing recruits are fewer and further between. Maybe because we have a smaller fanbase. But this past year, I don't remember any Marquette people bashing Jimmy Whitt or Akoy Agau when they went elsewhere. The last one I remember was someone going off on Kendrick Nunn, but it was definitely fairly isolated.

What amazed me was there seemed to be as many if not more attacks on Stone than there were congratulations. And the coach's own daughter joining in? Actually...that didn't amaze me. As soon as I saw Maryland announced, I expected it. Just like we saw with Looney and Tokoto.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marquette Fan in WI

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 08:11:28 AM »
The one thing that I don't understand.
When Maryland and Rutgers joined the Big Ten there was a big deal made how it was a good match because both were on similar academic levels as the other schools.
Does each school even within a conference hold their own academic admissions standards...is that the argument?
The data doesn't look that different
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/data

How come Northwestern never makes excuses?

This whole thing just rubs me the wrong way.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:12:09 AM »
In the end, I talented 18 year old decided to play basketball for Maryland and not his home state university.
But what this reveals about the badger faithful is revealing.   We all know the rants, the code words, the racism, the insecurities, the irrationality.   It is fun to engage in schadenfreude and take amusement in their tortured anguish.    And yes it is fans being fans, a small percentage of their supporters, and all fanbases act like that.   
 So let's not.  Use your MU education, use what the Jesuits taught you to resolve to be the anti-badger fanbase.    Use your logic and not your just your gut.    Don't fall into the trap of lowest common denominator message board clichés.   Don't attack 18-22 year old kids.   An 18 year old choosing another school is not a personal reflection on you.    Neither is a kid making or missing a jump shot.    Raise the level of your own discourse.   Don't act like a badger fan.   Act like an adult who knows better.   Use the rodents as a cautionary tale, not role models.   When they act like this, you have the moral high ground to mock the living crap out of them.    Finally, somewhere in Wisconsin, there is a kid with great basketball skills who pays attention to message boards and is resolving to never go to Madison because of those jack-holes.   

Well said. We are ranting about kids here.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 08:27:25 AM »
When Maryland and Rutgers joined the Big Ten there was a big deal made how it was a good match because both were on similar academic levels as the other schools.
Does each school even within a conference hold their own academic admissions standards...is that the argument?
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/data

Diamond Stone was accepted into Madison.  People who say it was about academics are either overlooking, or are ignorant, of that fact.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 08:27:36 AM »

Each school "interprets" the standards their own way.  All NCAA schools have the same academic standards they have to meet to avoid penalty from the NCAA but there are a combination of measurements and they are on sliding scales so there can be a lot of differentiation in the interpretation.  It also has to do with not just the individual student but the group of students currently enrolled in the athletic programs.  So if you got a lot of really qualified students already, you can take more risk with a less qualified student.

Bucky doesn't have lower standards, in fact, they have taken student athletes with a lower academic profile than Diamond Stone.  It's really an excuse by Bucky fans to justify why a recruiting relationship didn't work.  Stone going to Maryland might have been a Wisconsin choice or a Stone choice, or both.....but academic standards being "high" at Wisconsin didn't play a part in it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 08:27:52 AM »

Diamond Stone was accepted into Madison.  People who say it was about academics are either overlooking, or are ignorant, of that fact.

This is 100% correct
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 08:34:37 AM »

Because its bull plop.  Follow the shoe money.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 08:50:48 AM »
God, this Big 10-academics bullsh*t is so tiresome.

The Loud Guy

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 09:23:06 AM »
No message
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 09:26:06 AM by The Loud Guy »

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 09:42:43 AM »
So is this the thread where we mock the living crap out of them?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 09:47:52 AM »
I agree completely. While there are the occasional exceptions, I do feel the attacks from our camp on committing recruits are fewer and further between. Maybe because we have a smaller fanbase. But this past year, I don't remember any Marquette people bashing Jimmy Whitt or Akoy Agau when they went elsewhere. The last one I remember was someone going off on Kendrick Nunn, but it was definitely fairly isolated.

What amazed me was there seemed to be as many if not more attacks on Stone than there were congratulations. And the coach's own daughter joining in? Actually...that didn't amaze me. As soon as I saw Maryland announced, I expected it. Just like we saw with Looney and Tokoto.

Add Blue and Matthews to that list as well as others I am sure.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 10:04:30 AM »

Diamond Stone was accepted into Madison.  People who say it was about academics are either overlooking, or are ignorant, of that fact.

People, in this case, is Bo Ryan's daughter who claims FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE that he was not accepted into Madison.

The real reason Diamond Stone is not a Wisconsin Badger
http://thevictorylapblog.com/2015/03/the-real-reason-diamond-stone-is-not-a-wisconsin-badger/

excerpt

Diamond’s dad called Coach Ryan’s house and used the phrase “You might want to sit down for this” like he was about to announce the second coming of Jesus Christ. His dad then put Diamond on the phone, and he told Coach that he wanted to be a Badger. The problem was, both parties knew all along he didn’t have the grades/ACT score to get into the University at the time. I know this because Coach’s daughter Brenna answered the phone and was right there when it happened, and she’s a close friend of mine.

So this is more than "people" this is Bo Ryan's daughter.  None of these tweets or blog posts have been taken down.  

Should we believe Bo endorses his daughter, after all she claims to have answered the phone when the Stone's called and was in the room to hear the conservation.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:06:34 AM by Heisenberg »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 10:10:32 AM »
We have had Badger insiders, as well as others, state matter of fact that Diamond was admitted into UW in just the last couple of weeks.  I don't care what Bo Ryan's daughter said to her friend back in November.

Furthermore here is what it says "both parties knew all along he didn’t have the grades/ACT score to get into the University at the time."

"At the time" is very important here.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 10:12:52 AM »
Diamond verbals to Wiscy but doesn't have the scores.   He gets the scores, but by then has changed his mind.   It isn't that difficult to believe or understand. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 10:15:05 AM »
We have had Badger insiders, as well as others, state matter of fact that Diamond was admitted into UW in just the last couple of weeks.  I don't care what Bo Ryan's daughter said to her friend back in November.

Furthermore here is what it says "both parties knew all along he didn’t have the grades/ACT score to get into the University at the time."

Not to mention, if you believe this account, why was Madison still pursuing him if all parties knew he couldn't get in?

This whole thing is dumb. Best of luck to Stone. Badger nation can pound sand.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 10:17:41 AM »
We have had Badger insiders, as well as others, state matter of fact that Diamond was admitted into UW in just the last couple of weeks.  I don't care what Bo Ryan's daughter said to her friend back in November.

You're over-reading this.  The title is the "real reason Diamond Stone is not a Wisconsin Badger"  It starts with he did not qualify last fall (side note, I would bet this is true for a lot of players) and continues to say he never qualified.  

Anonymous "insiders" are a bunch of idiots making up stuff behind pretend names.  Here we have someone in the room claiming first hand knowledge in their real name.

And yes Brenna Ryan endorsed this story, she tweeted out the link the second this blog was posted (yesteday morning).

Should I conclude that Bo endorses this attack on Diamond?  Is Bo also ok with his daughter describing this final four run as #whitebballscucess?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:21:38 AM by Heisenberg »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 10:20:12 AM »
You're over-reading this.  The title is the "real reason Diamond Stone is not a Wisconsin Badger"  It starts with he did not qualify last fall (side note, I would bet this is true for a lot of players) and continues to say he never qualified. 

Anonymous "insiders" are a bunch of idiots making up stuff behind pretend names.  Here we have someone in the room claiming first hand knowledge in their real name.

And yes Brenna Ryan endorsed this story, she tweeted out the link the second this blog was posted (yesteday morning).

So why should I conclude that Bo endorses this attack on Diamond?  Is Bo also ok with his daughter descibing this final four run as #whitebballscucess?

Fine.  You can believe Bo Ryan's daughter if you want.  She seems like a nice gal.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 10:20:59 AM »
Diamond verbals to Wiscy but doesn't have the scores.   He gets the scores, but by then has changed his mind.   It isn't that difficult to believe or understand. 

This seems shockingly simple, and therefore, highly likely.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 10:22:42 AM »

Fine.  You can believe Bo Ryan's daughter if you want.  She seems like a nice gal.

To be clear what I'm arguing.  I think this is a devastating and completely unwarranted attack on Diamond and Bo should be embarrassed, make Brenna take it all down, and both of them should personally apologize to him.

So far Bo and Brenna are not.

Side note - Brenna seems like a spoiled entitled teenager.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 10:35:36 AM »
Bottom line is that Diamond is a great player.  He's going to kick a$$ at Maryland.  It will be fun to watch the diaspora of Wisconsin talent grow.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 10:39:48 AM »
People, in this case, is Bo Ryan's daughter who claims FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE that he was not accepted into Madison.

The real reason Diamond Stone is not a Wisconsin Badger
http://thevictorylapblog.com/2015/03/the-real-reason-diamond-stone-is-not-a-wisconsin-badger/

excerpt

Diamond’s dad called Coach Ryan’s house and used the phrase “You might want to sit down for this” like he was about to announce the second coming of Jesus Christ. His dad then put Diamond on the phone, and he told Coach that he wanted to be a Badger. The problem was, both parties knew all along he didn’t have the grades/ACT score to get into the University at the time. I know this because Coach’s daughter Brenna answered the phone and was right there when it happened, and she’s a close friend of mine.

So this is more than "people" this is Bo Ryan's daughter.  None of these tweets or blog posts have been taken down.  

Should we believe Bo endorses his daughter, after all she claims to have answered the phone when the Stone's called and was in the room to hear the conservation.

I call BS, when was the last time your teenager answered your house phone (if you even have one)?  Also, there is no way that Stone does not have Bo's cell phone number.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 11:38:14 AM »
Guys the whole story is crap....Stone got into UW but chose a different path.....anything else is just CYA Badger fanboy crap.

Heisenburg, there is nothing for Bo and his daughter to apologize for....in the end who cares.  Badger fans got caught playing the "academics" card that isn't true, let's all move on since we already knew they were full of crap anyway.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 11:41:19 AM »
Guys the whole story is crap....Stone got into UW but chose a different path.....anything else is just CYA Badger fanboy crap.

Heisenburg, there is nothing for Bo and his daughter to apologize for....in the end who cares.  Badger fans got caught playing the "academics" card that isn't true, let's all move on since we already knew they were full of crap anyway.

+1
I'm just glad we can stop planning the funeral for Marquette Basketball and next year's UW national championship parade.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 12:18:18 PM »

Heisenburg, there is nothing for Bo and his daughter to apologize for....in the end who cares.  Badger fans got caught playing the "academics" card that isn't true, let's all move on since we already knew they were full of crap anyway.

The NCAA has rules that prohibit a coach from talking about recruits.  You cannot get around that by having your daughter in the room to blog and tweet about it.

If Bo wants future recruits to know that his family will tweet and blog disparaging information should they say no to him, and his daughter celebrating that "white" Bucky won, then good luck on the recruiting trail Bo.  

You cannot live on marginal three star kids that sit on the bench their entire freshman year that blow up into national POY candidates their senior year.  That is not a strategy, that is blind luck.  To stay good you have to recruit 4 and 5 star types and some of them are "inner city kids."

Bo has to be worried that Diamond is just the next in a long line of inner city kids that make Bucky their second choice.  His daughter is not helping his cause.  I'll ask again, has anyone from Bo's family (or even Bo) slammed a white recruit in this manner that turned Bo down?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 12:20:57 PM by Heisenberg »

feedback