'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Best coaches  (Read 13810 times)

tower912

• All American
Best coaches
« on: March 30, 2015, 07:28:17 AM »
If you had been asked before the season to name the top 5 coaches in college basketball, how many of you would have had the final 4 coaches in your top 5?    Probably quite a Few. (ha, unfortunate Gonzaga pun)   Maybe Donovan, Wright, Sean Miller, Matta  (chico would have included Crean, of course), but these 4 guys would have been consistently in the top 5.   

My point?  Good coaching matters.   It is my fervent hope that Wojo can develop.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Best coaches
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 07:38:26 AM »
So does consistency and continuity in recruitng and program philosophy. 

jjfanec

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 07:47:58 AM »
If you had been asked before the season to name the top 5 coaches in college basketball, how many of you would have had the final 4 coaches in your top 5?    Probably quite a Few. (ha, unfortunate Gonzaga pun)   Maybe Donovan, Wright, Sean Miller, Matta  (chico would have included Crean, of course), but these 4 guys would have been consistently in the top 5.   

My point?  Good coaching matters.   It is my fervent hope that Wojo can develop.

Bill self would get some love from dome as would Roy Williams but the question is do they get enough out of their talent.  Did you just miss Pitino? I don't see Jay alright up there. No Sweet Sixteen since 2009 is not that impressive.  Miller, Donovan,  and Matta for sure. Tony Bennett is right there as well. He will get mentioned after one deep run into the tourney

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 07:54:33 AM »
I'd still have K number one, even though I don't expect him to cut down the nets. Calipari, Izzo, and Self would be there too. After that, tough to pick who else is there. Donovan, Roy, Pitino all have to get a mention.

One question I was pondering the other day...who now is the best coach to never make a Final Four?

Many would say Bennett, but I'd probably give the nod to Mike Brey. He's kept the Irish relevant for a long time in some very tough conferences, and shown the ability to adjust his playing style to the personnel he has. I may hate Notre Dame, but Brey definitely has my respect.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 08:13:57 AM »
I'd still have K number one, even though I don't expect him to cut down the nets. Calipari, Izzo, and Self would be there too. After that, tough to pick who else is there. Donovan, Roy, Pitino all have to get a mention.

One question I was pondering the other day...who now is the best coach to never make a Final Four?

Many would say Bennett, but I'd probably give the nod to Mike Brey. He's kept the Irish relevant for a long time in some very tough conferences, and shown the ability to adjust his playing style to the personnel he has. I may hate Notre Dame, but Brey definitely has my respect.
Here is a pretty good listing of the current top 10 to not have made final 4 ...Sean Miller should've been there by now

http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/college-basketballs-10-best-coaches-who-have-never-been-final-four

On the "all time" list I was most surprised to see that neither Lefty Drisell, nor John Chaney ever graced a final four

http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/top-10-coaches-never-to-reach-final-four
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 08:20:38 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 08:25:08 AM »
I wouldn't include Sean Miller in that group yet.  He's good, but he has to take that next step for me to include him among the top of the best coaches around.  My thoughts:

1. Coach K
2. Pitino
3. Izzo
4. Calipari
5. Self
6. Ryan
7. Williams
8. Donovan
9. Matta
10. Belein/Miller

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 08:51:01 AM »
Sorry guys, I think Bo Ryan is the best coach in the country. He really is.

More with less than anyone else around.

Guy should be national coach of the year this year.

And I fervently HATE Becky Badger. But reality is reality. We would adore him if he was a Warrior.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 09:00:52 AM »

And I fervently HATE Becky Badger. But reality is reality. We would adore him if he was a Warrior.

You have to include recruiting as part of the equation in the college game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 09:09:03 AM »
I did forget about Pitino.  Personally,   I don't know that I would put Bo in the top 5, but he might be 6.  And I couldn't blame anyone who did put him in their top 5.

1. K
2. Izzo
3. Cal
4. Pitino
5. Self
6. Bo
7. Donovan

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 09:10:49 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 09:19:58 AM »
Boeheim needs to be in the conversation as well. While I do believe Bo is a good coach I wouldn't put him that high. I give him credit for back to back final fours but they have also been upset a lot in the tournament. I would put anyone with one championship ahead of him and no way is he ahead of Williams who has two championships and how many final fours?

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 09:20:55 AM »

"Doing more with less" is not a valid argument for a Big 10 school.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 09:22:01 AM »
So does consistency and continuity in recruitng and program philosophy. 

This IS coaching, or at least a major (probably THE major) part of it.

Don't try to separate the two.

Bo is an outstanding recruiter in his own way, even if he isn't landing the kind of studs the others guys do. He plays a system and he recruits solid players whom he projects can become very good players within the system.

That leads to consistently decent recruiting, and sometimes (quite often, in fact) better than that. It also leads to kids staying 4 years, which feeds on itself in keeping a program viable.

Recruiting classes like those leading to this Bucky team and the 2005 Illinois team are almost ideal -- lots of good players who can be coached to become very good or even great but who aren't so hyped that they are selfish prima donnas or that they leave the program after 1 or 2 years. The recruiting classes leading to the 2013 Marquette team fit that profile, too.

Bo has a history of stringing together class after class of these kinds of kids, and as much as I dislike Bucky, I admire that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 09:25:03 AM »

I don't disagree Bo is a great coach, but part of the job is not being in the position of having "less" to do "more" with.

If he could recruit as well as our most recent 3 MU coaches, he'd have had multiple NCs by now.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 09:26:26 AM »
I did forget about Pitino.  Personally,   I don't know that I would put Bo in the top 5, but he might be 6.  And I couldn't blame anyone who did put him in their top 5.

1. K
2. Izzo
3. Cal
4. Pitino
5. Self
6. Bo
7. Donovan

Bo ahead of Donovan as well as Roy Williams? I don't think Bo cracks the top 10
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 09:32:02 AM »
I don't think Bo cracks the top 10

You can name 10 other coaches who are 14-for-14 in making it to the NCAAs, capped off by two straight Final Four appearances? OK.

Jeesh ... I can't believe I'm lobbying for the Grinch ... but fair is fair.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 09:36:05 AM »
You can name 10 other coaches who are 14-for-14 in making it to the NCAAs, capped off by two straight Final Four appearances? OK.

Back to back NCAA championships, a runner up and a final four > back to back final fours.  14 for 14 is impressive but I'd take 15/19 with Donovan's stats any day before Bo's.  Plus Donovan gives Florida fans people to cheer for in the pros to. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUDPT

• All American

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 09:47:41 AM »

Zero national championships. Zeeeero.

1NC > 0NCs every time.

Of non-championship coaches, Bo is favorable. This list is like a "which doesn't belong" list.

1. K - national champion
2. Izzo - national champion
3. Cal - national champion
4. Pitino - national champion
5. Self - national champion
6. Bo - NOPE!
7. Donovan - national champion

Goose

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 09:48:57 AM »
IMO Pitino is the best all around coach and has been for quite some time. Bo is a great coach and think he is top 10 for sure. I would put Cal, Coach K, Donovan and Izzo in my top five with Pitino. Self and Williams are great coaches because of where they are and not by overall success.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 09:54:02 AM »
IMO Pitino is the best all around coach and has been for quite some time. Bo is a great coach and think he is top 10 for sure. I would put Cal, Coach K, Donovan and Izzo in my top five with Pitino. Self and Williams are great coaches because of where they are and not by overall success.

Why are you short changing Roy?

25 NCAA tournaments in 27 years (Kansas was ineligible his first year)
7 Final Fours (4 at Kansas, 3 at UNC)
And 2 NC's

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 09:54:25 AM »
Bo Ryan "Doing more with less" is one of the great myths.  Kaminsky, Dekker and Hayes are all future NBA players.  Credit Bo with developing Kaminsky and evaluating Nigel Hayes better than other coaches.  Bo gets his teams to play defense and not turn the ball over.  But it took until the last two years to break through from the very good to great.  The difference?  Better offensive talent that can actually outscore people and a new strength & conditioning coach that lead to stronger, more athletic, better conditioned players.  Bo's done great but his best teams have also been the most talented.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 09:58:07 AM »
Zero national championships. Zeeeero.

1NC > 0NCs every time.

Of non-championship coaches, Bo is favorable. This list is like a "which doesn't belong" list.

1. K - national champion
2. Izzo - national champion
3. Cal - national champion
4. Pitino - national champion
5. Self - national champion
6. Bo - NOPE!
7. Donovan - national champion

OK. I don't argue with any of the other 6 being ahead of Bo. But you said he doesn't crack the top 10. Your words, not mine.

Maybe you're right. All I'd like is for you to back up your very confident statement that he's on the outside looking in. Please provide your top-10, Bo-free list.

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 09:59:03 AM »
So Williams and Self don't get credit because high-level success is a given at blue blood programs? Tell B Gillespie that.

Shouldn't Coach K not get credit for his success after Duke was built into the program it is? He basically has been coasting since 1991.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 10:02:41 AM »
No one mentioned Larry Brown. Weird.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 10:04:38 AM »
I thought about Larry Brown.   He has won almost everywhere he has gone.   For me, his vagabond nature as well as going 25 years between college coaching gigs eliminates him. 

feedback